McVay eyeing three-man rotation at RB against Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
McVay eyeing three-man rotation at RB against Cowboys

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Since running back Todd Gurley's release in March, many have been wondering what the approach to the Rams' backfield will look like.

For obvious competitive reasons, the details have been scarce. However, this much is known: Rams head coach Sean McVay is planning to deploy a three-running back rotation of Malcolm Brown, Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson Jr. in their season- and home-opener against the Cowboys on Sunday Night Football.

"Exactly how those carries are distributed, will be something that will be determined really as the week progresses and as the game unfolds," McVay said during a Monday video conference with reporters. "I think we feel good about all those guys and however the game is going is kind of what we'll end up getting a feel for. (Running Backs) Coach (Thomas) Brown has an excellent feel for that stuff where he'll be able to rotate those guys accordingly."

McVay's breakdown of each running back in that projected rotation was as follows:

On Malcolm Brown, "a guy that's played a lot of games, had a lot of significant contributions over the last couple of years. I think he's been steady and been exactly what you want for a veteran leader and a guy that we know that we can count on in a variety of different ways."

On Akers, "continuing to get better. You know, you forget sometimes he's a young player, but we are going to ask a lot of him. I expect those two to be ready to roll and do a great job for us."

On Henderson, who has been dealing with a hamstring injury sustained in the team's first preseason scrimmage, "we're optimistic that Darrell will be ready to go as well."

When Thomas Brown spoke with reporters on Aug. 28 and was asked about the range of possibilities between a clear-cut number one running back and a running back by committee, he said it was whatever helps Los Angeles win games.

"Every situation is going to be different," Thomas Brown said. "Obviously you would prefer to have a clear-cut guy to kind of take the majority of the reps and having certain guys have a role in that offense, but I think it's all about how those guys continue to develop, what they do well for us offensively and what can help us win football games."

Looking at the bigger picture, McVay said "it's a balance" between having a clear-cut number one running back and a rotation.

McVay said having an established three-down running back has helped the Rams' offense in the past, pointing to what Gurley was able to accomplish in that role. At the same time, he has three young players he's confident in.

The natural progression of the season may offer clarity, according to McVay, but having three different running backs whose skillsets "present a different kind of change of pace and a different dynamic" to defenses and "can help keep people off balance as well" appeals to him.

"It's really our job to maximize the skillsets of all of our players," McVay said. "If someone establishes themselves as the clear-cut front runner, then I think you'll see that reflected in their play."

So, which running back will be on the field for the first series Sunday night?

"I do not (know) yet," McVay said with a smile. "We might go with five wide (receivers) set, no backs, or we might put all three (running) backs on the field and then two other skill guys. You never know."

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I have to agree with this. Give it to the hot hand and come out running the ball downhill with Malcolm Brown to set up the play action.

I want to see more 12 sets as we should be playing to our strengths by going TE heavy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol. I love these articles. As if they would give anything away as to what they are going to do.
Probably the only honest thing said is " We might go with five wide (receivers) set, no backs, or we might put all three (running) backs on the field and then two other skill guys. You never know."

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I have to agree with this. Give it to the hot hand and come out running the ball downhill with Malcolm Brown to set up the play action.

I want to see more 12 sets as we should be playing to our strengths by going TE heavy.
Shouldn't we do more 11, at least on passing downs? LBs is their strength and DB is their weakness.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not think that #1 RB Henderson will be active. Thus leaving #2 veteran Brown who usually comes up lame during games when he is dependent on to make plays.

I see this game where we here @ ROD ....will observe Ram rookie RB's take up the workload to lead the way to a solid victory. By a committed three-headed team. (Akers/ Jones even the new arrival Calais).

I even expect to see several wideouts & (Mr do everything well) Gerald Everrt adding to the Rams running total yardages.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've been saying it isn't a problem in reality. It's only a problem with the know-nothing media that makes an issue where there is none.

Why isn't it a problem? Brown is on the team only for this season. In this game, he will be used to reduce the load on Henderson who is coming off a hamstring injury. But as the season goes on it really will just be a two man rotation between Akers and Henderson. Why? Because with both Akers you have similar skill sets so the offense doesn't change regardless of who is carrying the ball. Hot-hand? Sure that might factor in some games. Every defense they face is different so the blocking will be different.

A case in point is the Cowboy defense. They have a very good MIKE so it might come down to Akers and Brown who are somewhat better in heavy traffic since who knows how well or not Blythe or their lead blocker if there is one can handle Vander Esch. Other teams might not have that level of play in their LBers so it might be more Akers and Henderson. Does it sound like Akers will get the majority of the carries? That is hard to say as both are home run hitters. Henderson flashed last year behind a very poor o-line so don't write him off.

McVay I'm sure is looking hard at how SF and NO used their two-headed monsters at RB. But IMO those models aren't really the same. There were/are distinct differences between RBs in those other systems. That is not the case between Henderson and Akers. With the Rams it will allow them to always have a fresh RB deep into games where they need that run game to control the flow of the game, i.e. run out the clock.

With two RBs a team can really pound a defense when it needs to (assuming decent o-line play).

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think the plan is for Akers to be the main guy. But will it be this week? The biggest thing is how he will do in pass protection. Rookies tend to have trouble with that at the beginning. If he becomes a liability there they will have no choice but to use Brown more.

oldnotdead

Legend
Trust me it will be game by game depending upon injuries and the defense they face, and how the game flows. For example if they are well ahead or blowing someone out they aren't going to run the clock our with Akers or Henderson it will be Brown. Stats aren't what's important. It's when and how those stats were earned.

Brown won't be here next year so he will be fine with garbage time stats. It will simply drive his price up elsewhere.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Shouldn't we do more 11, at least on passing downs? LBs is their strength and DB is their weakness.
Only if you want a multiple interception game from Goff. The Rams are a play action pass team and you can't establish that without threat of a run. Further, you could always exploit a mismatch of a Dallas LB against one of our TEs.

We could air it out on 80% of the plays, but then teams know you will most likely pass and become one dimensional. This happened in the Browns game and Goff threw 2 interceptions against a bunch of practice squad DBs. The more CBs you have on defense the easier it is to defend the pass.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the plan is for Akers to be the main guy. But will it be this week? The biggest thing is how he will do in pass protection. Rookies tend to have trouble with that at the beginning. If he becomes a liability there they will have no choice but to use Brown more.
Yeah I think it's basically going to be "RB rotation until someone steps up." Then whoever that is will get most of the snaps.

So for the RBs not named Henderson this game is what you call an opportunity to seize that job. And I agree they are hoping Akers makes it an easy decision because he's got everything McVay wants in his backs.

Ram65

Legend
Brown gets things going early. Depending on how comfortable McVay is with Akers knowing the blocking will dictate Aker's workload. Let's see if Henderson is ready to play this week. McVay has used Henderson in four WR sets in the past. Look for some new wrinkles from McVay. I expect the most carries between Brown and Akers this week. Eventually, Akers and Henderson will surpass Brown with Akers the more featured RB.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think what McVay is looking for is a scheme fit more than anything. Akers and Henderson are scheme fit for his offense with breakaway speed and good hands as receivers. He doesn't need a bell cow RB. Akers and Henderson are interchangeable in McVay's scheme and that is what he wants. As long as both are equally effective then he will rotate them to keep them fresh into the 4th quarter. Once both hit their stride then Brown becomes the cleanup guy in any type of garbage time. That's why Jones looks to be a good #3 RB next year because even though he lacks breakaway speed he's still fast enough so the offense again won't change even then. He also needs to show he has hands as a receiver.

Although he might not ever be a starter he can build a solid career as a backup. Right now he's the lowest tier RB in terms of pay scale. But he has signed for $613K for the season meaning he will get over $38K after each game. He will make more in one day than some people make in a year. So don't feel sorry for backup players. If they are smart with their money they can set themselves up for a good life after the NFL.

There is a neighbor of my nephew with whom I'm staying with until I get my own place, who was a backup in the NFL for 5 or 6 years and ended up saving about $700K by living modestly. He just paid $300K cash for a beautiful home here in AZ and now has money to start his own business doing home improvements.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Only if you want a multiple interception game from Goff. The Rams are a play action pass team and you can't establish that without threat of a run. Further, you could always exploit a mismatch of a Dallas LB against one of our TEs.

We could air it out on 80% of the plays, but then teams know you will most likely pass and become one dimensional. This happened in the Browns game and Goff threw 2 interceptions against a bunch of practice squad DBs. The more CBs you have on defense the easier it is to defend the pass.
It depends on our O line really. Our WRs can block too and I like our chances running with less LBs on the field. That will set up the play action with 11 personnel as well. The Cowboys top CB is a rookie and they have an injured safety group. I trust our WRs to get open.

I'm sure Everett and Higbee can get open too but I don't know how well their LBs can cover.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
The CJ / Gurley Double up got us to the Super Bowl. The committee approach maximizes your weapons, and throws some diversity at your opponent, which we need to do as we've become more predictable than we need to be.

I'm all for it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do not think that #1 RB Henderson will be active. Thus leaving #2 veteran Brown who usually comes up lame during games when he is dependent on to make plays.

I see this game where we here @ ROD ....will observe Ram rookie RB's take up the workload to lead the way to a solid victory. By a committed three-headed team. (Akers/ Jones even the new arrival Calais).

I even expect to see several wideouts & (Mr do everything well) Gerald Everrt adding to the Rams running total yardages.

View: https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1303812692608573441

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I'm hoping Brown gets a lot of ball Sunday - I don't think we have seen the best of him. Would love to see him get a good run at it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think what McVay is looking for is a scheme fit more than anything. Akers and Henderson are scheme fit for his offense with breakaway speed and good hands as receivers. He doesn't need a bell cow RB. Akers and Henderson are interchangeable in McVay's scheme and that is what he wants. As long as both are equally effective then he will rotate them to keep them fresh into the 4th quarter. Once both hit their stride then Brown becomes the cleanup guy in any type of garbage time. That's why Jones looks to be a good #3 RB next year because even though he lacks breakaway speed he's still fast enough so the offense again won't change even then. He also needs to show he has hands as a receiver.

I would not be surprised to see Jones get sent to the practice squad for Ray Calais. Calais can return kickoffs, has the hands for screens, and is absolutely lightning-fast (the Bucs special teams coach called him a "human joystick").

I have absolutely nothing against Jones; he's a hard worker and deserves a shot at the NFL...but we don't need five running backs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would not be surprised to see Jones get sent to the practice squad for Ray Calais. Calais can return kickoffs, has the hands for screens, and is absolutely lightning-fast (the Bucs special teams coach called him a "human joystick").

I have absolutely nothing against Jones; he's a hard worker and deserves a shot at the NFL...but we don't need five running backs.
If Henderson finally gets healthy & IF proves he can stay healthy then sending Jones back to the PS is the best move to make. Too many IF's to make a rash move at this time. Jones is more of a workhorse type RB that may not help much on ST's whereas the newby Raymond Calais is different.

If Brown & Henderson do what they did last season then Jones may be much more valuable than most think.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

henderson was a full participant in practice today so it's full go for sunday.