McVay Day 1 Camp Presser & Wade interview

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EasyE

Starter
Anybody else wanna see Goff get mad about something? All that positivity seems like "whistling past the graveyard".

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anybody else wanna see Goff get mad about something? All that positivity seems like "whistling past the graveyard".

You will see him get mad this year.. The Rams are his team now

fgar.0.gif

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Bless his heart, but isn't Gurley just about the worst interview imaginable? Lol.

Ram65

Legend
Goff did a good interview. He wasn't happy about the timing and mentioned it a number of times. First day back I would expect that. Let's see how things go after a few more practices. Woods and Kupp get a nice mention.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

really? you want him to complain about the first day of practice?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think you saw that in the last press conference of the season last year. What is there to be mad about now?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Thanks for the Post Florida_Ram! I'm Pumped! Just a couple of finer points I Liked:
* I can't wait to here Coach McVay discuss his Tape Evaluations from yesterday and today, hopefully we'll get some by Monday!

* Presser sure are a lot different with McVay vs Fisher. You get a lot more from them!

* You have to smile when you here McVay talk about his approach to training Gurley vs Fisher's approach. 180 degree's different!

* Coach Phillips sure seems to have a handle on the Defense already! "Attitude & Pace" I LOVE IT!

* Quote of the day, speaking on the Defense " Any kind of Coaching, and these guy's are going to be good!" Wade Phillips! I sure could read a lot between the lines of this quote!!:D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Bless his heart, but isn't Gurley just about the worst interview imaginable? Lol.
Close...Belichick is the worst...so that's a good sign I guess..LOL

Let me add something that I read tho..

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Training-Camp-Report-Everything-You-Need-to-Know-from-Day-1/00847163-3b6e-49c5-93a7-154666fb13ed

Training Camp Report: Everything You Need to Know from Day 1
by Kristen Lago
Rams Writer/Reporter

At long last, training camp is here.

The Rams opened up their 2017 training camp with their first official practice on Saturday afternoon at UC Irvine.

Though the team did not suit up in full pads, if Saturday’s practice was any indication, it should be an exciting month of football here in Orange County. Here are the biggest takeaways from Day 1.

TOP TAKEAWAYS

1. The Phillips’ era of defense is here

For the first time, the Rams' defense publicly showcased its transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme under coordinator Wade Phillips.

The front line, led by Michael Brockers and Dominique Easley, looked strong up front, causing a few would-be sacks throughout practice. McVay praised the defense as a whole, anticipating the unit’s progression under Phillips’ instruction.

“When you’re able to get a great defensive look like what our defense created today it can only make you better offensively,” he said. “I think that’s great work. I think until you really put the pads on is when the true evaluations can take place with some of the things that occur upfront. But, I thought it was a good start for the defense as a whole.”

In addition to the line, the Rams' secondary had a solid day. At one point cornerbacks coach Aubrey Pleasant physically and verbally expressed his excitement for the group’s progress, tossing his hat into the air and hugging cornerback Troy Hill after a pass deflection.

2. McVay makes a point to bond with players

Head coach Sean McVay has reiterated that one of his main goals throughout training camp is to build team chemistry and establish a new identity as an organization. And judging from Saturday’s practice, McVay is bringing that point to the grass.

He was not only out on field moving from the offense to the defense, but he even stepped in as a player at one point, lining up at outside linebacker to cover running back Todd Gurley.

“I like to get out and be active, otherwise I’ll probably gain a lot of weight,” McVay said with a laugh. “Then I had an injured quad in the offseason, so I have been rehabbing in my time off and I’m ready to run and play some DB for us now.”

“Today, he came out here healthy," Goff said after acknowledging his head coach's previous injury. "I was like, 'Man, you’re moving around.' He said, 'Oh yeah.' He’s back.”

3. Goff embracing leadership role

Goff was met with a series of chants and energetic applause as he took the field for his second training camp. The young quarterback looked composed throughout practice, communicating verbally with his team of receivers and running backs, while appearing more secure behind his offensive line.

“It’s night and day. I feel good. I feel comfortable,” Goff said of his first day. “Obviously, I have a really good idea of what we’re trying to do this year and I felt good today. I think you just grow, you get older, you have more experiences and you know how to carry yourself a little bit differently.”

Though there were still a few signs of Goff’s room for improvement as a young quarterback, including a couple of missed passes and miscommunications downfield, he did look more in command as the leader on offense. That's a factor his teammates have noticed.

“On and off the field, he took more control of how we were working,” receiver Tavon Austin said. “Even when we’re in the huddle, he’s pulling it together. He’s talking to us, he’s pointing towards us on certain concepts when he’s telling us on certain [plays] to be ready. I like how he’s taking control of the huddle.”

FIELD-LEVEL OBSERVATIONS

- Austin, who was not involved in offseason workouts for the Rams after undergoing offseason wrist surgery was back for training camp today. He worked with the first-team offense and connected on a few deep routes from Goff.

- With Aaron Donald absent, Ethan Westbrooks was one of the players filling in at defensive end.

- Defensive back Lamarcus Joyner and safety Maurice Alexander, along with five other players were placed back on the active roster after being put on the PUP and NFIN lists last night.

- The first interception of training camp came from defensive back Aarion Penton, an undrafted free agent out of Missouri. The pick six came off of a pass from Dan Orlovsky.

- The cutest moment of today’s practice goes to McVay, who stopped to meet with a little boy on his way to the field.

PLAY OF THE DAY

During 11-on-11 drills, Goff connected with wide receiver Robert Woods on a deep crossing route downfield.

Goff later praised the receiver, calling him a “pleasant surprise” as an addition to the team.

“I knew he was a good player,” Goff said, “but I think the way he’s come out here and worked and the way he goes about his business has been a really cool thing to see.”

The two showed good chemistry for their first practice back on field, having worked out together during the break between the offseason program and training camp.

PRESS POINTS

After practice, Goff, Gurley, and McVay took the time to address the media. Catch up on three of their most interesting points after Day 1, and click here to find the full transcript.

JARED GOFF

On heading into his second season with the Rams: “I feel like you should feel going into year two. Ready to go. I think a lot of guys are ready to make the past the past and I think you just grow. Just knowing I’m the guy that they’re going to look to, It is my team to lead and my team to direct and control and command. I don’t take that lightly.”

TODD GURLEY

On if he thinks the new offense will make it easier on him: “I trust in the coaches. They have been doing a great job with putting in the offense and then obviously you have seen Coach McVay’s work in Washington,so I don’t understand why it wouldn’t be able to work here on this level. It is the same game, NFC. So, like I said, we are just coming out here every day trying to get better. We are trying to learn the system and make sure we master our technique.”

SEAN McVAY

On whether it’s a sigh of relief to get going with training camp: “I think we’re all excited to get out there and get going. I was really pleased with the walk-thru and the guys ability to retain some of the information from the offseason program. The installs go a little bit faster than they do in the offseason. So, we’re going to be on to day two tomorrow and it’ll be good to get out there and we’ll look at this tape tonight and make some corrections and be ready to move forward.”

Remember fellas, defense SHOULD be ahead of the offense for a lil while....

@bubbaramfan has me feeling good....Camp practice last year the offense looked lost...I wish Coach0 or Hammer could see it and compare it as well....and all of the St. Louis guys that saw Fisher's Earth City practices.....

Last edited:

EasyE

Starter
I think you saw that in the last press conference of the season last year. What is there to be mad about now?

I realize he is very young.... It always feels like he is reading from a cheat sheet....giving answers that were prepared....I guess I wonder how many field generals have his disposition....anyway, hoping he turns it on!

Go Rams