McNabb needs to re-think anti-Twitter rant

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Doug Farrar
<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/McNabb-needs-to-re-think-anti-Twitter-rant?urn=nfl-wp2917" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-wp2917</a>

Washington Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb(notes) continued his recent media blitz with a recent spot on ESPN Chicago's "The Waddle and Silvy Show." McNabb discussed several subjects, most notably his future in the nation's capital, but one subject was of special interest — when asked his thoughts when it comes to athletes putting their lives on Twitter, McNabb had some very definite opinions.

[textarea]First of all, I'm not a fan of Twitter. Nothing against their program or what they have, but as an athlete I think you need to get off twitter. All these social networks of you tweeting about you watching a game when you want to be playing in it, but you're mad you're not playing in it, so you're gonna criticize someone that's playing in it. I don't believe that that's the right deal. That's not professional by any means and you know we are all in a fraternity, so if you see a guy who's struggling this isn't the time to jump on him or kick him while he's down because that same guy will come against you and kinda blast your team out the water, so I think for an athlete to be 'twittering' is the wrong move. It's one of those things to leave to the fans and let them comment on certain things, but athletes need to get off Twitter.[/textarea]
Hmm. Well, never mind that McNabb sounds like an out-of-touch grandpa when he talks about all these darned kids 'twittering' (it's a wonder he didn't tell Waddle and Silvy to get off his lawn). The idea that athletes should stay off a viable social media tool because a few people can't help acting like jackasses is just this side of ridiculous. I understand the NFL policy that prevents players from tweeting (that's the official term, Donovan) — it's important to foster team unity and avoid giving away state secrets. But McNabb should know as well as anyone that it's not the medium, it's the message. After all, he was the quarterback thrown under the bus by Terrell Owens(notes) half a decade ago when both men played for the Philadelphia Eagles, and T.O. didn't need Twitter to do that. He had a willing media and an open microphone. Owens would have used homing pigeons if they were his only option.

It is a good point of discussion, and an interesting referendum: Should athletes be allowed to express themselves freely on Twitter? In my opinion, as long as they're not going off the reservation in ways that could hurt themselves or others (same rules as would apply to anyone else), I think it's a great way for players and fans to get to know more about each other. I follow about 100 players on Twitter, and it's allowed me to ask questions, set up interviews, and get better insight into what they're thinking. Again, same as everybody else. It's a ridiculous conceit to assume that because some people play a sport for a living, they should be denied the rights given to others.

If McNabb doesn't want to set up an account and let fly with his thoughts, that's certainly his prerogative. But it's especially goofy for him to propose communication restrictions at the same time he's getting himself out there in just about every other way. And his comments in the same interview about the NFL Network's Top 100 list and how the players didn't vote on it (a comment we've heard from other players on … ummm … Twitter) is just one example of the fact that interesting and honest dialogue should never be restricted — no matter what the medium may be.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, I can see McNabb's point. I hate these social networking sites; you never find people with common interests. I can't see the point of seeing people brag about their average day and have other people slavishly "follow" them like lapdogs. If I want information, I'd go to this site - and that's the only thing that Twitter is good for.

Oh, and the fact that people make fake accounts to say cruel things while pretending to be an athlete or a celebrity (i.e., the fake LaRussa account) doesn't really help my opinion.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
McNabb said:
First of all, I'm not a fan of Twitter. Nothing against their program or what they have, but as an athlete I think you need to get off twitter. All these social networks of you tweeting about you watching a game when you want to be playing in it, but you're mad you're not playing in it, so you're gonna criticize someone that's playing in it. I don't believe that that's the right deal. That's not professional by any means and you know we are all in a fraternity, so if you see a guy who's struggling this isn't the time to jump on him or kick him while he's down because that same guy will come against you and kinda blast your team out the water, so I think for an athlete to be 'twittering' is the wrong move. It's one of those things to leave to the fans and let them comment on certain things, but athletes need to get off Twitter.
While McNabb came down on twitter, what he's actually upset about is players throwing other players under the bus. Considering his history, I can't blame him, or for singling out a medium that enables certain idiots to "entertain" us through such text-bytes.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Does anyone see the hypocrisy of this guy?

He basically says twitter is good for players to express their opinions, but then throws McNabb "under the bus" just like Too Overrated did for expressing his own opinion about twitter.

Rams13

UDFA
Name
Dave
IMO, I see what mcnabb is saying. I think to a degree he has a point. Really what It comes down to is the player that is tweeting should use tact when it comes to talking about certain topics pertaining to football, or any other sport.

However I don't think players should be banned from using twitter. The only time I ever use twitter is when checking for updates on injured players. I think posting things like that is a good thing. It helps keep players and fans informed on what's going on. And it can help connect players with fans or vice versa for the example of trying to get interviews for message boards and other medi outlets such as this.

Az long as players use tact when tweeting, I see no problems with it. Problem is, when your rich and overpaid, whats to stop you from caring what others think about what your saying?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't use twitter - never have. Players tweeting during games kind of pisses me off if they are on my team. As far as throwing players under the bus, I could really give a damn if it is twitter or FB or anything else. They should be man enough to say it to someone's face if they are going to say it at all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Twitter. I don't use it all that much, but you do get stories VERY quick via that network. Faster than you would in any other medium. And guys like Sando, Balzer, Softli, etc., use it to "alert" people that they've just published a new article or blog. Regarding the players, some of the guys on the Rams that use Twitter are tools. I hate to say it, but it's true. I stopped following guys like Murphy and Gilyard because they're constantly calling each other "nigga" and talk about meaningless and useless shit. Other guys like Jackson, Long, Grant, Curry, Clayton and Alexander keep you updated on their workouts and try to interact with fans here and there.

McNabb is just an older player who is reluctant to embrace change. That's really all I see here. There are other older guys who like it, and use it responsibly (most of the time) - Kurt Warner, Tony Dungy, Chris Mortinsen, etc. Like any other media source or social network - you just gotta tailor it to your personal preferences, and it's a useful tool. The easiest way to do that is to filter out all the less than useful tools.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Think before you tweet. That should be the only message sent to players that are on Twitter.

I also hate the "fake" accounts that are made (Isnt that how the Gilyard asking for a trade rumor started?). Its not suprising. When I used to have Facebook I had friends that turned out to be fake accounts, and you had to expect the same thing would happen with twitter. Its still really dumb.

Angry Ram

StlouisramsX said:
I like Twitter. I don't use it all that much, but you do get stories VERY quick via that network. Faster than you would in any other medium. And guys like Sando, Balzer, Softli, etc., use it to "alert" people that they've just published a new article or blog. Regarding the players, some of the guys on the Rams that use Twitter are tools. I hate to say it, but it's true. I stopped following guys like Murphy and Gilyard because they're constantly calling each other "nigga" and talk about meaningless and useless shyte. Other guys like Jackson, Long, Grant, Curry, Clayton and Alexander keep you updated on their workouts and try to interact with fans here and there.

McNabb is just an older player who is reluctant to embrace change. That's really all I see here. There are other older guys who like it, and use it responsibly (most of the time) - Kurt Warner, Tony Dungy, Chris Mortinsen, etc. Like any other media source or social network - you just gotta tailor it to your personal preferences, and it's a useful tool. The easiest way to do that is to filter out all the less than useful tools.

Me too. I only follow guys who update regurlary and have a good attitude.

Except for Darnell Dockett. That guy is hilarious. Anyone see his live twitter update on him bein pulled over by the PO-lice???

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Angry Ram said:
StlouisramsX said:
I like Twitter. I don't use it all that much, but you do get stories VERY quick via that network. Faster than you would in any other medium. And guys like Sando, Balzer, Softli, etc., use it to "alert" people that they've just published a new article or blog. Regarding the players, some of the guys on the Rams that use Twitter are tools. I hate to say it, but it's true. I stopped following guys like Murphy and Gilyard because they're constantly calling each other "nigga" and talk about meaningless and useless shyte. Other guys like Jackson, Long, Grant, Curry, Clayton and Alexander keep you updated on their workouts and try to interact with fans here and there.

Except for Darnell Dockett. That guy is hilarious. Anyone see his live twitter update on him bein pulled over by the PO-lice???

All right - I might have to check it out at some point here. Still don't care for the idea of players tweeting during games though.

Angry Ram

RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:
StlouisramsX said:

All right - I might have to check it out at some point here. Still don't care for the idea of players tweeting during games though.

Oh me neither. It's the equivlent of bein on ROD durin school or work. Not appropriate.

But I do it anyway. :tooth:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Angry Ram said:
RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:
StlouisramsX said:

Oh me neither. It's the equivlent of bein on ROD durin school or work. Not appropriate.

But I do it anyway. :tooth:
Tweeting during a game is the equivalent of a master chef texting in the middle of perfecting his secret sauce. If you're not paying attention to what's going on around you, guess who could be responsible for some steaming shit?

I assume the tweeting is done during halftime. I can't imagine an active player having a personal device like a cell phone on the sidelines.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ram Quixote said:
Tweeting during a game is the equivalent of a master chef texting in the middle of perfecting his secret sauce. If you're not paying attention to what's going on around you, guess who could be responsible for some steaming shit?

I assume the tweeting is done during halftime. I can't imagine an active player having a personal device like a cell phone on the sidelines.

If Chad Johnson has logged on to ROD, he's probably grinning at your post. Just saying.

:ww:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Memento said:
Ram Quixote said:

If Chad Johnson has logged on to ROD, he's probably grinning at your post. Just saying.

Touche'. Also, if Sanchez can eat a hot dog on the sidelines, I'm willing to bet just about anything is available.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
StlouisramsX said:
Memento said:
Ram Quixote said:
Tweeting during a game is the equivalent of a master chef texting in the middle of perfecting his secret sauce. If you're not paying attention to what's going on around you, guess who could be responsible for some steaming shyte?

Touche'. Also, if Sanchez can eat a hot dog on the sidelines, I'm willing to bet just about anything is available.
I'll re-phrase: I can't imagine the Rams' HC and his coaching staff allowing a player to have a personal device like a cell phone--and use it--on the sidelines without some sort of repercussion.

Obviously, it's happened elsewhere, but the 2 players and their team mentioned just induces heavy :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: from this poster.