McCaffrey Highest Paid RB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My apologies. ESPN was being glitchy. I just added the URL. Hopefully it loads for you to read the article.

CHARLOTTE, N.C -- Carolina Panthers star Christian McCaffrey is signing a four-year extension, averaging $16 million per year, making him the highest-paid running back in NFL history, sources told ESPN.

Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott had been the NFL's highest-paid running back at $15 million per year. Jets running back Le'Veon Bell now ranks third at $14.1 million a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

The deal includes a fifth-year option, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. Including the two years left on McCaffrey's rookie deal and the option, the deal is expected to pay out around $75 million over six years.

"I'm so excited to continue my career in Carolina," McCaffrey told ESPN on Monday. "I want to thank Mr. [David] Tepper, Marty Hurney, and Coach [Matt] Rhule for the opportunity to help lead this great franchise, and to all my teammates for their help along the way. And to Panthers fans, KEEP POUNDING!"

Earning the Paycheck
i

Christian McCaffrey was an offense unto himself last season, accounting for the highest percentage of his team's touches, scrimmage yards and scrimmage touchdowns of any player in the NFL in 2019.

NFL rank
Touches53%1st
Scrimmage yards44%1st<<
Scrimmage TDs51%1st
>> NFL-high 2,392 scrimmage yards
The extension ties McCaffrey, who won't turn 24 until June 7, to Carolina through the 2025 season. He was in the fourth year of his rookie deal, and the Panthers didn't want to enter this season with McCaffrey's future in question as Rhule rebuilds a team that finished 5-11 last season under Ron Rivera.

"He really builds to the culture you want to have within the building,'' Rhule said of the running back last week. "We want to be a serious football place. We want to be a place that is all about the game. That's who Christian McCaffrey is.''
Rhule said one of the reasons he hired LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady as his offensive coordinator was to take full advantage of dynamic players such as McCaffrey.

Editor's Picks
"That's what Christian is,'' Rhule said. "To label him a running back, that's not respectful to him. He's a tailback/wideout. He can do it all. I'm anxious to get him out there and to continue to build this thing around him.''

McCaffrey last season became the third player in NFL history to have 1,000 yards rushing and receiving in the same season. He joined former San Francisco back Roger Craig (1985) and Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk (1999) on the elite list.

McCaffrey's deal came two weeks after general manager Marty Hurney said the organization had internal discussions on an extension. The two sides moved quickly to get the deal done after that as Carolina wanted to lock down a key piece before the draft, a league source said.

"Christian McCaffrey is a centerpiece player that you can build around,'' Rhule said. "He's going to be a special player for us.''

TexasRam

Legend
Definitely earned it. Kind of hard to argue he isn’t the best all around back in the the NFL.

But many would argue the Commitee approach at RB is the smarter play.

As Ram fans we have first hand experience to support that arguement.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I see "highest paid RB in history" headlines, it makes my stomach turn for some reason... It must be a case of Vuja De.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Eerily similar to Gurley when he was signed. Top 5 NFL RB - one could argue #1 - and coming off of an MVP caliber season. The centre of his team's offense, and importantly as valuable as a pass catcher as a runner.

TGIII was a much better blocker, IMO, and that aspect of Gurley's game was about as good as any RB I've seen. Todd is also a bigger back, which is more comforting when you wonder how much a guy can stand up to years of NFL wear and tear.

I really like McCaffrey. Hopefully, he has better health luck than Gurley did, as RB deals can blow up in your face quickly even if they make sense at the time the contract was signed. Rams fans know that all too well. Gurley may or may not have had an attitude problem. I doubt attitude ever becomes an issue with CMac.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Definitely earned it. Kind of hard to argue he isn’t the best all around back in the the NFL.

Agreed. I'm done with big money RBs. If you have one that good trade him when it comes time for him to get his payday and draft some cheap by-committee types.

Glad to see McCaffrey get paid though, he does deserve it. I just wouldn't be the guy paying him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

from what i gather from what was said in here, idiot talking heads were saying no rb would get a huge deal like gurley again.

in less than two weeks it's been proven again they don't know their heads from their arseholes.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I tend to agree, but getting them on short term deals is a tough sell to an agent when they know that in free agency they could get the years they want from another team.

I'd rather play it safe and go with the committee. Look at our division rivals. Both San Francisco and Seattle have a good situation going. In Seattle Penny got injured and they still had Carson. So it protects against an injury screwing your season. And in San Francisco they have backs with different strengths that can be more versatile.

McVay had the committee in Washington. The key is the Offensive line. Any coach that doesn't prioritize the Oline always makes me wonder what their thinking. Big Red was always criticized by fans for drafting too many first round Olinemen when he was in Philly. I loved his strategy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Large contract to a running back? I think I am forever changed.

giphy.gif

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
As good as Warner was, GSOT wasn't without Faulk.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Carolina has a lot riding on McAffrey and Bridgewater, plus a fair amount of cash invested in the two of them.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I always laugh when people say Sayquan or Elliot are the best backs...nah, CM22 is the best there is. Hes such a multitool

Ram65

Legend
It's always riskier giving a running back a long term high priced deal. I can understand wanting to reward him but, two years before his contract is up makes it hard on his NFL team as we all know. Listening to the radio they made good points that he was their offense (IIRC 50 % or so). He will be the centerpiece of their offense in the future with Bridgewater throwing short passes. He is a hard worker and could stay healthy considering he is about to turn 24. He has over 900 touches the past three years. The son of a former player I think he should have his head straight and keep working to stay healthy. The Panthers would look bad not giving him an extension and have the contract be a distinction. It's a catch 22 situation.

Ram65

Legend
I tend to agree, but getting them on short term deals is a tough sell to an agent when they know that in free agency they could get the years they want from another team.

I'd rather play it safe and go with the committee. Look at our division rivals. Both San Francisco and Seattle have a good situation going. In Seattle Penny got injured and they still had Carson. So it protects against an injury screwing your season. And in San Francisco they have backs with different strengths that can be more versatile.

McVay had the committee in Washington. The key is the Offensive line. Any coach that doesn't prioritize the Oline always makes me wonder what their thinking. Big Red was always criticized by fans for drafting too many first round Olinemen when he was in Philly. I loved his strategy.

It's not easy to find a solid committee. The 49ers spent very good free agent money on Jerrick McKinney a couple of years ago and got no return as he got hurt. They gave $8.5Mil for two years to Tevin Coleman. They found Mossert who was floating around practice squads for a lot of NFL teams and signed undrafted Breida. They are able to spread the risk around by having lower-priced running backs. Teams really have to work hard to find a good cost-effective mix of running backs to not have to count on one bell-cow back.

It helps to have a solid offensive line as you very well know. Unfortunately for the Rams, they got the cart (Gurley) before they got the horses (Solid Offensive Line). It will be interesting to see where and who the Rams draft to help Henderson in the backfield. They weren't able to hit on John Kelly a sixth-round pick. The jury is still out on round three and later drafted offensive linemen. At this point, the Rams don't have a lot of draft capital to make great strides on the offensive line.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Gurley shook the market, good for elite RBs though. Hoping he avoids any long-term injury woes being a bellcow halfback

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy

We are the RAMS. And that means the bellcow running back. We need to find one. The Rams have the greatest tradition of great running backs in the NFL. Keep it that way.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

all rbs should be allowed to hit free agency after 3 years in the league, no tags allowed to be used on them. their second contract is their one chance to make money.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I just don't know if there is a good, one-size fits all answer for how to handle RB's in the NFL.

The committee approach is better insurance against injury, but that approach has its limitations, as rarely are any of the committee backs multi-talented like a franchise back, and many times, you can't keep the same guys in on three downs.

The franchise approach is what gives you guys like the 2017 Gurley, Faulk, Dickerson, SJ, etc., guys that can do it all and guys that opposing defenses have to gameplan for. Those guys, when healthy, can really elevate a team and can be deployed as a weapon that is far more versatile and effective than any RB in a committee approach. Of course, the downside is, as we are painfully aware around here, when you pay them and they get hurt, your cap gets absolutely hosed for a season.

Basically, is a risk vs. reward calculation. RBBC = less risk, but less reward. Franchise back = higher risk, higher reward. Whoever figures out a way to match the risk of the RBBC approach with the reward of a franchise back should get a nobel prize in football.