Maybe some room for optimism (tackling)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
While wasting some time at work I came across an analysis of missed tackles by team. Last season, the Rams were 27th in the NFL in missed tackles, ahead of only Dallas, Oakland, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay and New Orleans. We missed an average of just over 8 tackles per game. Missed tackles are a killer on defense by extending drives and leading to big plays.

Interestingly, we were tied for 2nd best in missed tackles on special teams with one missed tackle every 2 games. Special teams seems to have a lot of back ups and developmental types, especially among the DBs. Maybe better tackling is on the way.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/10/sig-stats-tackling-efficiency-by-team/

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Missed tackles are certainly an important factor in a team's success. But I noticed the Seahawks were middle of the pack and the Cardinals were further down. The 49ers were second best. Seahawks were NFC champs and Cardinals were an 11 win team. Apparently the missed tackles didn't hurt them too much. I guess they're good enough to overcome them.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The art of tackling seems to be a lower priority in high school and college, it seems.

Players now come to the NFL lacking even what would have been considered fundamental skills back in the day.

Like sending a college graduate out into the world lacking the ability to scarcely read or write. Oh wait!.....

Seriously, the ESPN highlight reel seems to be the goal of too many of today's players, huh?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates a solid wrap up tackle. Sometimes a game saver.

Remember SB 34?

Alan

Legend
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/broken-tackles-2014-defenses
Broken Tackles 2014: Defenses
Most Broken Tackles by Defenders, 2014
Player
BT (Blown Tackles)
Rate

Josh Evans
23.9%

Charles Woodson
18.6%

Ron Parker
18.5%

Rashad Johnson
17.7%

Michael Griffin
14.8%

Jonathan Cyprien
15.5%

Ryan Clark
17.0%

Greg Toler
21.7%

Paul Worrilow
12.4%

Rodney McLeod
17.9%

Mike Adams
15.1%

Morgan Burnett
11.9%

Larry Foote
17.1%

Kendrick Lewis
16.7%

Janoris Jenkins
19.4%

D'Qwell Jackson
10.9%

David Hawthorne
17.3%

Alec Ogletree
12.5%

DeAndre Levy
9.2%

E.J. Gaines
15.6%

Jimmy Wilson
18.8%

D.J. Swearinger
16.4%

Mychal Kendricks
15.2%

Donte Whitner
12.1%

Kareem Jackson
19.0%

Dashon Goldson
15.8%

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Better players get more attempts to "make" tackles, that otherwise wouldn't have been attempted...Better players make players "miss" tackles....Another skewed stat by PFF....If I'm so slow, I can't get a hand on the runner, is this a missed tackle? If I'm so fast, I attempt more tackles than some others at the same position, am I graded lower?

Stel

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Better players get more attempts to "make" tackles, that otherwise wouldn't have been attempted...Better players make players "miss" tackles....Another skewed stat by PFF....If I'm so slow, I can't get a hand on the runner, is this a missed tackle? If I'm so fast, I attempt more tackles than some others at the same position, am I graded lower?

That's why you have to look at both the raw number of missed tackles AND the rate. Whether you're fast or slow, a high percentage of missed tackles isn't a good thing.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 asking a rhetorical question:
am I graded lower?
Yes!

If it makes you feel any better you're rated two places higher than me. :(

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Missed tackles are something even the most novice of fans can identify. There are other issues just as big but none more noticeable.