Maybe Snisher drafted solely for depth?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
Goff: No action
Higbee: 2 catches, 6 yards
Cooper: 1 target
Hemingway: 0 snaps
Forrest: 7 games, 5 tackles
Thomas: 2 targets

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
They drafted for a FO contract extension.

Can't say I blame them.

"You want to win? Let us developed the talent we've drafted."

Makes sense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They drafted and approached FA the "un-Spags - worried about my job" way. You have to wonder if they are either simply confident in knowing they will be here in '17 or just don't thing worrying about their job security or that it should ever dictate what they do. I just don't buy the idea that they are signing depth and not starting Goff as some sort of job protection mechanism. I'm guessing if Snish were trying to pull some notion like that suggested here, they would already be gone.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
7 games into their careers and people already assuming they wont be starters? c'mon man

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe they drafted good players. It's a lot harder to have confidence in the rookies before we've seen a lot of them than to just write them off as busts before they even start a game. Fisher isn't your typical coach we all should know this by now.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Unfortunately, there will probably be injuries as the season rolls on, and then we will see these rookies get there shot, and see what they can do! Patience, there time will come, none can be considered "Busts" yet! (y);):cool:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The draft picks actually made sense at the time. Everyone and their dog agreed - the Rams needed to bolster an anaemic offense that was sorely lacking.

As luck would have it, Britt and Quick have been playing the best football of their careers. Kendricks has also impressed as a pass catcher and is showing he deserves an expanded role in the Rams passing offense. Austin is always going to get his touches. And any Fisher team is going to be based on its bell cow RB (hopefully we can get Gurley going), so there's never going to be tons of targets to go around to WRs. All this is pushing our rookies down the depth chart. Seeing as rookies outside of the top 2 rounds don't usually contribute all that much in their first season to begin with, that spells trouble for guys like Higbee, Cooper, Spruce, etc.

Ironically, with the benefit of hindsight, Snisher probably should have drafted more on the defensive side of the ball. Some up and coming CBs or DEs would be nice right now to provide depth and hopefully be able to replace our starters once they start to age...

I've actually liked what little I've seen of Forrest and Thomas.

Hemmingway was never going to be a big contributor in Year 1.

Realistically, the entire 2015 draft class comes down the Jared Goff anyway.... we'll see how he pans out.

fearsomefour

Legend
As Ramfan503 said, the Spags FA approach is a sign of desperation....overpaying for old oft injured stop gap FAs.
In terms of drafting the draft made sense. That is all you can really ask for. Everyone was clamoring for WRs, TEs and a QB. So, most fans got what they wanted.
Rookie WRs often don't start and generally are not major contributors....it is not an easy position to learn in the NFL.
Kendricks is a good NFL TE and Britt and Quick are playing well overall. Having more legit depth to hopefully develop is good news long term. Rookie players not piling up stats is not a story (with the exception of Goff).

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
This Draft is all about Goff's production in the long term. You can't realistically get mad about the rest of the class not turning into major contributors IMO. It would be great, but that would truly make it a great class. Guys who go after the 4th are always a gamble, other wise they would go earlier! I still like this class a lot, I don't judge them by early contributions. It's a sign of having better depth to me. It gets old having to plug in most of a class immediately because the team was so barren before that.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Higher and Hemmingway are going to have an expanded role next year because the TE position takes time to develop. I'm not concerned about how our rookies are going at the moment. I know I am stating the obvious but iff the team can simultaneously play good offense and defense, the wins will come. Consistency is the key for a shift away from 7-9 bullish!t

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Honestly, they're drafting the right way.

One way I just thought of that Fisher could stay and still revamp things is to higher one of Todd Haley's offensive coaches to be the next OC and bring the Pittsburgh EP here. We have all the pieces and who wouldn't love to see Todd Gurley in that Le'Veon Bell role??? And trust me when I say that if Roethlisberger (who's never been the sharpest anything in any drawer) can master this variant of the EP... than Goff will absolutely DOMINATE in it!!!)

They're drafting the right way. You cannot draft thinking anything other than what's best for the organization long term. Rarely does a HC or GM try to save his job and actually do it with a "right now" draft pick. He may not do it with long term picks, either, but if those pan out, he'll have a shot at the next job.

…..

Legend
Spags did not have a choice in reaching for FA miracles. He was desperate, probably still paying Kurt Warner, and the roster was embarrassing. It was not "Spags way:"...it was "Spags only option"

Fisher is afforded alittle bit more room to roam. The rookies are fine. Good players. Fisher just wont play them.

I do sometimes wonder though, if other teams may do better with some of our players. I've seen some good kids get lost in the shuffle here. So maybe its not so much that we are drafting for depth, but a development issue.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
One thing I think we all lose sight of is some draft classes arent all that good. Maybe that played into the decision to trade up, that and a pretty solid roster with a lot of youth. I would really like to see Copper get some meaningful minutes. I think Boras is missing an opportunity to put him and Austin on the field together.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
As luck Groh would have it, Britt and Quick have been playing the best football of their careers.
fixed it Ontario!

fourth round picks...and 6th round picks... c'mon man!

This entire draft was Goff, and maybe finding a gem...maybe..only one that looks special is Mike Thomas. Still too soon.