Maurice Alexander Named PFF's Most-Improved Safety

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Exactly. I never understood sticking him at FS when he is best suited at SS. He did a decent job but he doesn't have the open field coverage ability or the speed to be elite at that position. A transition to SS is obviously the right move considering his strengths are tackling and pursuit ability.

Where would you have played him ? TJ was hurt a few times & Mo took over. He played FS over Cody , because of depth.The Rams kept only 3 safety's last season to start. They cut Bryant late.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes he missed on those plays. Are there better safeties? Yes. But the point of the post is, he's made strides in his level of play and has gotten better every year. His coverage is better (and improving) his angles are better, (and improving), Mo is the poster child for a 4th rd draft pick and how you want a 4th rounder to develop and improve.

If he continues to improve his game as he has, he's going to be one of the top SS in the league.

The dude played LB at Utah State & then sat out a year. He played FS because of need & depth.
Your points are valid . I think he got banged up just before the season last year. He loves to hit.
In Wade's defense a Cat like him will play that much better. His defense is to just let players play & not have to think about it.

---Greg Williams defense changed depending who was on the field. It was not a easy defense to play. The Rams are rich in talent on D" .

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Where would you have played him ? TJ was hurt a few times & Mo took over. He played FS over Cody , because of depth.The Rams kept only 3 safety's last season to start. They cut Bryant late.

I would have played Cody at FS and Mo as a box safety but the depth really limited our options.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Mo....not more than TJ....but I would imagine he's only scratched the surface of his talent. Still can't imagine Joyner back there...all alone....with balls flying...should be interesting.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would have played Cody at FS and Mo as a box safety but the depth really limited our options.

TJ messed things up last year as well. He is paying for it now , but it's we not me this season. Missing OTA's hurt.

---That's thenthing about Higbee that some Ram fans forget. He was hurt coming out ,as well as his court stuff. Snead looked into his character , & went with it. Mo was a good example of giving a player another chance.
My bad on Mo as well. He played with a cast his senior year after he sat out.Still playing LBer with a cast(broken forearm ?).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like Mo....not more than TJ....but I would imagine he's only scratched the surface of his talent. Still can't imagine Joyner back there...all alone....with balls flying...should be interesting.
Not sure how you could like TJ more than MO Champ when TJ McDonald will be suspended by the NFL for the first eight games of this season. He was so highly regarded he signed for a 1-year veteran minimum contract TJ's cost to the Phins for 8 games was for a near $1.4 million contract with the Miami Dolphins. This was after two of his 4 previous seasons was on the injured reserve. TJ's best hits usually took place against his own players.

Mo in the past 3 seasons has shown he can play both safety positions & has yet to be placed on IR. Mo is also much faster has better abilities athletically with outstanding vertical & broad jump ability. I can share my imagination with you on LJ's future play @ safety this season just let me know when your ready;). As far as your "balls flying around" with LJ back there I would think that LJ will where a jock strap to keep them under control & from flying around:D

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm excited about the prospects of Mo Alexander and Lamarcus Joyner at SS and FS.

Could it be a better tandem than McCleod and McDonald?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
they....(PFF) use more than 3 bad plays to grade a player
Yes it is an over all grade.

But they should get extra negative points when linebackers and safeties allow a score or a 10-yard play.

We had teams that came in to our stadium and beat our Defense like a drum last year.

Unacceptable ass whippings.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
My point was going to be;

I don't really miss Gregg Williams too much. :D

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
No one is going to miss the DB's playing 10 yds off the ball, or 7yds off on a 3rd and 6.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Mo Alexander and Lamarcus Joyner

Could be a better tandem than McCleod and McDonald?

Different types of safeties from Mo and LaMarcus.

I think Mo and LaMarcus are more set up for coverage abilities and INTs.

McLeod and McDonald are more like A and B Safeties.

Run support and big hits to intimidate the receivers.

I like jamming them at the line of scrimmage and then blanket coverage.

Williams defense was risky and led to big plays.

Phillips way wears them down and frustrates the heck out of the opposing receivers and the opposing quarterbacks.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Philip is a press coverage majority guy.

THAT IS HUGE!!!!! :D

Expect a lot of incomplete passes from the QB but also big plays if safety coverage is shoddy. Hopefully we see more 3 and outs from Wade's defense.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Expect a lot of incomplete passes from the QB but also big plays if safety coverage is shoddy. Hopefully we see more 3 and outs from Wade's defense.
I'm not worried. I've been reading this thread and we have the two best safeties in the NFL! :D

Alexander is the most improved all around Safety in the NFL and Joyner is a natural Free Safety ball hawk!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I love the guy.
Kicked off a team, got a (shit) job, came to work every day, got his shot and did something with it. Give Fish a little credit.

Antithesis of the pos offed himself today.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
As far as the Mc'bros, (who I liked), these two are more Cam'n Earl (potentially) to me.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
What's not to like about Mo? He's gotten better every year he 's played, hits hard, causes fumbles, get int's. Mo has yet to reach his potential.