Maurice Alexander Named PFF's Most-Improved Safety

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://prod.www.rams.clubs.nfl.com/...d-Safety/b2c8f422-c4f9-4d17-b2e1-b4c2e261e4e7

Alexander Named PFF's Most-Improved Safety
Nate Bain/Digital Media Manager

600xAP_551073741174.jpg

Once known for his job as a stadium janitor, safety Maurice Alexander has made a name for himself in the Los Angeles Rams' secondary.

Alexander found a niche on special teams after being drafted in the fourth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. The Utah State product has gone on to improve his game over the course of three seasons, making the biggest leap in 2016.

The site Pro Football Focus recently named Alexander the most-improved safety of the 2016 season. The company specializes in football rankings and statistics on team and player performance.

PFF Grades:
2015 season grade: 44.6
2016 season grade: 83.4

Here is the full PFF write-up on Alexander's improvement:

Alexander played nothing but special teams as a rookie in 2014. The next season, he got his shot on defense in Week 7 and ended up playing in every game to finish out the year. The Rams moved him all over the place; he spent 43 percent of his snaps as a free safety, and he struggled.

Jump to 2016 and Alexander found his rhythm as the team’s starting FS, playing over 75 percent of his snaps there. He displayed great coverage skills, as he was targeted once of every 32.4 coverage snaps (the fourth-best rate of 92 qualified safeties).

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
"4th best out of 92 safties" That's why they let TJ walk.

Mo has improved every year. Has always been a good tackler and hard hitter, but had limited coveage skills. He's really gotten better at that to the point of now being solid starter. Will he get better? All indications are he will.

I remember Greg Williams pounding the table to draft Mo. Glad the Rams listened to him. I bet he has a big year this year.

RAMBUSH

Starter
I think your right about mo having a big year . The man wants it and our new DC is going to compliment his talents in my opinion . I am hesitantly highly optimistic about our defense this year. If 93 is healthy I think we be just fine. ( hesitantly highly optimistic) cool aid ... I'm drinking , not even sure what that means. Ha Ha.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
"4th best out of 92 safties" That's why they let TJ walk.

Mo has improved every year. Has always been a good tackler and hard hitter, but had limited coveage skills. He's really gotten better at that to the point of now being solid starter. Will he get better? All indications are he will.

I remember Greg Williams pounding the table to draft Mo. Glad the Rams listened to him. I bet he has a big year this year.

If I recall it was Jeff fisher that wanted him so bad that they "reached" to grab him. Someone asked him how mad he would have been if he didn't get him and he said "Bobby Wagner mad" referencing to how badly he wanted him but they traded down I believe and missed out

Psycho_X

Legend
I like Mo at SS and am looking forward to him playing there in Wade's defense. I wasn't a big fan of him playing CB or FS but good to see he markedly improved through last season there.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I like Mo at SS and am looking forward to him playing there in Wade's defense. I wasn't a big fan of him playing CB or FS but good to see he markedly improved through last season there.

Exactly. I never understood sticking him at FS when he is best suited at SS. He did a decent job but he doesn't have the open field coverage ability or the speed to be elite at that position. A transition to SS is obviously the right move considering his strengths are tackling and pursuit ability.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://prod.www.rams.clubs.nfl.com/...d-Safety/b2c8f422-c4f9-4d17-b2e1-b4c2e261e4e7

Alexander Named PFF's Most-Improved Safety
Nate Bain/Digital Media Manager

600xAP_551073741174.jpg

Once known for his job as a stadium janitor, safety Maurice Alexander has made a name for himself in the Los Angeles Rams' secondary.

Alexander found a niche on special teams after being drafted in the fourth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. The Utah State product has gone on to improve his game over the course of three seasons, making the biggest leap in 2016.

The site Pro Football Focus recently named Alexander the most-improved safety of the 2016 season. The company specializes in football rankings and statistics on team and player performance.

PFF Grades:
2015 season grade: 44.6
2016 season grade: 83.4

Here is the full PFF write-up on Alexander's improvement:

Alexander played nothing but special teams as a rookie in 2014. The next season, he got his shot on defense in Week 7 and ended up playing in every game to finish out the year. The Rams moved him all over the place; he spent 43 percent of his snaps as a free safety, and he struggled.

Jump to 2016 and Alexander found his rhythm as the team’s starting FS, playing over 75 percent of his snaps there. He displayed great coverage skills, as he was targeted once of every 32.4 coverage snaps (the fourth-best rate of 92 qualified safeties).
This is good news! Even if it is "PFF"! I'll take it with a grain of salt!

Ram65

Legend
Didnt focus on him much last year. Nice he got some notice for improvement. Look forward to the change and Joyner moving to FS,

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Aggression is the key for him, once he figured that out, he played very well. Early on he was waiting for the play, instead of attacking the play.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Aggression is the key for him, once he figured that out, he played very well. Early on he was waiting for the play, instead of attacking the play.

Bodes well for Phillips's system since his approach is attack ball first.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am of the opinion that Mo has just began to figure things out & the future is extremely bright for him. The fact that MO played out of position in the far deep space & excelled, speaks volumes to me. The 2016 full season under his belt as a full time starter without any issues will assist him greatly moving back into a more comfortable position. I would hope that Demoff can lock Mo in here at a good price early this season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Congrats to Mo and here's hoping there's more accolades in his future!

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

I'm wondering if they took into account his tackling. The first play of this highlite film is what I remember about his play last year.

And, the back to back plays here versus the Saints... @ the 0:45 mark

On 2 of the 3 plays mentioned above, he misses the tackle and the ball carrier scores. I wonder how PFF grades that?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

I'm wondering if they took into account his tackling. The first play of this highlite film is what I remember about his play last year.

And, the back to back plays here versus the Saints... @ the 0:45 mark

On 2 of the 3 plays mentioned above, he misses the tackle and the ball carrier scores. I wonder how PFF grades that?

They probably don't grade it well, but they also use more than 3 bad plays to grade a player too. Fans see a few bad plays by a player and they make a conclusion based off of that. I mean the entire D looks like garbage in those videos, either the RB goes 10+ yards without a defender laying a finger on him or he breaks 2 tackles and gains 10 yards.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
So he improved from his first season when he didn't even play more than a couple games whoopi. They gave him a high grade because he wasn't targeted? Ya good ole PFF. I do think he will be fine at SS

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
They probably don't grade it well, but they also use more than 3 bad plays to grade a player too. Fans see a few bad plays by a player and they make a conclusion based off of that. I mean the entire D looks like garbage in those videos, either the RB goes 10+ yards without a defender laying a finger on him or he breaks 2 tackles and gains 10 yards.

Yes, I understand they use more than 3 bad plays to grade a player, but then I only pulled up tape from 2 games out of 16. The Patriot game was the only one I knew of specifically. So, are you challenging me to find more?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes he missed on those plays. Are there better safeties? Yes. But the point of the post is, he's made strides in his level of play and has gotten better every year. His coverage is better (and improving) his angles are better, (and improving), Mo is the poster child for a 4th rd draft pick and how you want a 4th rounder to develop and improve.

If he continues to improve his game as he has, he's going to be one of the top SS in the league.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So he improved from his first season when he didn't even play more than a couple games whoopi. They gave him a high grade because he wasn't targeted? Ya good ole PFF. I do think he will be fine at SS

Actually it was from his second season to his third.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Yes, I understand they use more than 3 bad plays to grade a player, but then I only pulled up tape from 2 games out of 16. The Patriot game was the only one I knew of specifically. So, are you challenging me to find more?
No, no challenge, but it would be more supportive of your claim. If you can?