Matthews getting owned!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
You seem to have misread that passage blue. Here's what it actually said:
"His pass blocking efficiency of 99.4 leads all offensive tackles."
That is only one aspect of his game. Now it's understandable as to how both of those statements can be true. The rest of his game must really suck eh? Plus of course that article was talking about last year and your article is talking about the first 4 games of this year. He seems to have made a big improvement. Except for his last game of course.

The bottom line here, corroborated by more than just PFF, is that Matthews was suffering through a huge learning curve just like GRob was/is. I don't know about you but it makes me feel a little better about the pick. I still don't like the fact that they didn't catch my mental projections urging them to pick Matthews. Those tin foil hats the're all wearing now are really screwing up their reception. GRob is improving too but I still have concerns about his ceiling. We've drafted "athletically gifted" LTs before and it hasn't worked out that well for us. I'm trying to remain positive. GO GROB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't misread the passage, I think I have mistaken the intent of the thread. I thought we were talking about Matthews getting owned this year because the Saints won. And how that reflected somehow on GRob. I was pointing out that Matthews isn't getting owned this year and that it doesn't reflect on GRob at all. Then articles from last year started getting posted and I officially became confused just what the heck we were talking about.

Also I'd like to point out that Matthews was not suffering thru a huge learning curve. His fundamentals were good coming out of college. He suffered thru injuries which really limited him. He always knew how to pass block. They even said in the article from last year that his run blocking improved.

I agree with you about GRob. I remember I wanted to trade down and still end up with one of the three good OLmen. Barring that I did want Matthews too. I'm the opposite way. I had felt a little better about the pick when Matthews had his injury problems. But now that he's healthy and doing what people thought he could, IDK. Martin's in the pro bowl his rookie year...
It makes me feel worse about it. I'm like you I'm trying to remain positive and hope that his light bulb goes off in time to help us this year. But hearing reports now that he's not putting in the work does not make me feel good at all. I hope that's just internet talk.

Alan

Legend
blue4 speaking in tongues:
I didn't misread the passage, I think I have mistaken the intent of the thread. I thought we were talking about Matthews getting owned this year because the Saints won. And how that reflected somehow on GRob. I was pointing out that Matthews isn't getting owned this year and that it doesn't reflect on GRob at all. Then articles from last year started getting posted and I officially became confused just what the heck we were talking about.

Also I'd like to point out that Matthews was not suffering thru a huge learning curve. His fundamentals were good coming out of college. He suffered thru injuries which really limited him. He always knew how to pass block. They even said in the article from last year that his run blocking improved.

I agree with you about GRob. I remember I wanted to trade down and still end up with one of the three good OLmen. Barring that I did want Matthews too. I'm the opposite way. I had felt a little better about the pick when Matthews had his injury problems. But now that he's healthy and doing what people thought he could, IDK. Martin's in the pro bowl his rookie year...
It makes me feel worse about it. I'm like you I'm trying to remain positive and hope that his light bulb goes off in time to help us this year. But hearing reports now that he's not putting in the work does not make me feel good at all. I hope that's just internet talk.
That's all interesting stuff blue and I'll respond to some of it but it doesn't really seem like the long version of this
"How can PFF rate him #1 over the first 4 games, then say he is a liability? One of these is incorrect."
to me. :LOL: I guess context is everything.

This was all my fault anyway. I tricked everybody into thinking the article I posted was current.:( :LOL: :p

Actually, I posted that article because it talked about how badly Matthews was doing and you're right, this thread is (I think) all about how our other choice that we didn't take in the draft (Matthews) is doing just as badly as GRob. Though I don't think he is.

We'll have to disagree about my contention that Matthews was experiencing difficulties due to learning curve issues. I don't care how good his fundamentals were coming out of college. The NFL is a different animal and despite the fact that some players do well initially, the vast majority suffer from that learning curve and even those who appear to be ready from the get go (Martin Donald) still get better every year. Mostly due to no longer needing to learn the NFL game and sculpting NFL bodies. Still, you're right that he suffered through early injury problems that could have held him back all year. Maybe. But I agree with you about how fundamentally sound he was and with his pedigree I thought he was a can't miss prospect. We both appear to have been correct about that. I haven't given up on GRob yet though.

But... your biggest problem, if you don't mind my saying so, was waiting for this thread to become officially confused. You should learn to be more like me and get officially confused BEFORE TC. Just a suggestion.;)

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
That's all interesting stuff blue and I'll respond to some of it but it doesn't really seem like the long version of this
"How can PFF rate him #1 over the first 4 games, then say he is a liability? One of these is incorrect."
to me. :LOL: I guess context is everything.

This was all my fault anyway. I tricked everybody into thinking the article I posted was current.:( :LOL: :p

Actually, I posted that article because it talked about how badly Matthews was doing and you're right, this thread is (I think) all about how our other choice that we didn't take in the draft (Matthews) is doing just as badly as GRob. Though I don't think he is.

We'll have to disagree about my contention that Matthews was experiencing difficulties due to learning curve issues. I don't care how good his fundamentals were coming out of college. The NFL is a different animal and despite the fact that some players do well initially, the vast majority suffer from that learning curve and even those who appear to be ready from the get go (Martin Donald) still get better every year. Mostly due to no longer needing to learn the NFL game and sculpting NFL bodies. Still, you're right that he suffered through early injury problems that could have held him back all year. Maybe. But I agree with you about how fundamentally sound he was and with his pedigree I thought he was a can't miss prospect. We both appear to have been correct about that. I haven't given up on GRob yet though.

But... your biggest problem, if you don't mind my saying so, was waiting for this thread to become officially confused. You should learn to be more like me and get officially confused BEFORE TC. Just a suggestion.;)

I knew it was your fault.:)

I haven't given up on GRob either. Best thing for the Rams is for him to develop into a Pace like tackle.
I think it's more likely he turns into a Timmerman guard but that's me just:deadhorse:.