Matthews getting owned!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Nice to see some balance as GRob is a human being after all. Falcons are beatable and exposed as evident right now. Big win for the Saints on offense and Defense.

Thanks for reading. :sneaky:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I saw this one coming. It's getting that time for most of these undefeated teams to come back to Earth.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Why does this affect GROB? Only thing I've heard about Matthews is he was the #1 pass blocker after 4 weeks.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I think everyone would agree Ryan is a tad better, and WAY more experienced than Foles...at this point in their careers. And oh btw has Jones and White and DeVonte...
So quit bangin' on GRob - he's not had a full year at LT yet. And a rookie next to him, and a new O coorinator, and a QB that needs to get rid of the ball quicker which he maybe could if his fucking WRs and TEs could get open...-and then actually catch once in awhile.

No one on the O lives in a vacuum, especially not the QB ( or the LT for that matter/ but he does need improvement, no question.)

Just another ho-hum homer alert. Stay tuned for weekly updates.

My main takeaway is the general consensus here is "we got this Clevekand game". Not so sure myself.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not gonna make excuses for GRob, he should be playing better than he is by now. But the good thing about him is the dude is immensely talented and willing to do the work so I see no reason to think he can't start getting it together.

It's the best option of all for the Rams too. Not gonna find anyone with his ability outside of the top 5 of the draft. So the smart play is just what the Rams are doing... Keep coaching him up and getting him better.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Not gonna make excuses for GRob, he should be playing better than he is by now. But the good thing about him is the dude is immensely talented and willing to do the work so I see no reason to think he can't start getting it together.

It's the best option of all for the Rams too. Not gonna find anyone with his ability outside of the top 5 of the draft. So the smart play is just what the Rams are doing... Keep coaching him up and getting him better.
Agreed but it needs to happen sooner than later. If he would start killing it, the rest of the line would follow suit. Foles confidence would go up and maybe, just maybe, our "pass catchers" would lift the level of their play.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Nice to see some balance as GRob is a human being after all. Falcons are beatable and exposed as evident right now. Big win for the Saints on offense and Defense.

Not certain what the excitement is for. How Matthews does has no affect on GRob...he succeeds and fails on his own. Actually as a Rams fan this is a bit more worrying as a resurgent NO means there may be 3 contending teams in that division....giving the Rams extra competition for a playoff spot....

Alan

Legend
Merlin dazed and confused:
But the good thing about him is the dude is immensely talented athletic and willing to do the work so I see no reason to think he can't start getting it together.
Fixed that for you Merlin.;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
willing to do the work

CoachO hinted that GRob was not doing the work and that is why he is not developing quickly. He needs to be more professional and work harder. Maybe he and Aaron Donald should be camp buddies next season.

V3

Hall of Fame
CoachO hinted that GRob was not doing the work and that is why he is not developing quickly. He needs to be more professional and work harder. Maybe he and Aaron Donald should be camp buddies next season.
That might explain why he looks so weak out there. He gets pushed back/around way too much. I have questions about his weight loss.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think everyone would agree Ryan is a tad better, and WAY more experienced than Foles...at this point in their careers. And oh btw has Jones and White and DeVonte...
So quit bangin' on GRob - he's not had a full year at LT yet. And a rookie next to him, and a new O coorinator, and a QB that needs to get rid of the ball quicker which he maybe could if his freaking WRs and TEs could get open...-and then actually catch once in awhile.

No one on the O lives in a vacuum, especially not the QB ( or the LT for that matter/ but he does need improvement, no question.)

Just another ho-hum homer alert. Stay tuned for weekly updates.

My main takeaway is the general consensus here is "we got this Clevekand game". Not so sure myself.
There are those who believe Cleveland can Up-Set Denver, I'm not one! BUT!!

Alan

Legend
http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-fal...e-matthews-near-bottom-in-pff-roster-rankings
Falcons, Jake Matthews near bottom in PFF roster rankings

Pro Football Focus ranked all 32 NFL rosters for ESPN (Insider), and the result for the Atlanta Falcons wasn't too kind.

The Falcons actually dropped one spot from last year's initial list, falling from No. 30 to No. 31. You'll have to read the piece to see which players PFF have as the top five Falcons, with two of them somewhat of a surprise.

The one element that caught the eye immediately was one of the five players PFF named as a starter who should be upgraded: left tackle Jake Matthews. Here is the part of the analysis related to Matthews:

Johnny Manziel at Texas A&M didn't exactly make the transition to an NFL scheme any easier.

In all fairness, Matthews should have been sidelined four to six weeks after suffering a high ankle sprain in the season opener against New Orleans. Instead, he missed just one game and refused to use the injury as a crutch, although it obviously hampered his play.

While evaluating Matthews throughout the season, former Falcons offensive line coach Mike Tice believed Matthews' sets were inconsistent. Tice constantly rode Matthews about his hand placement, telling him there was too much catching that led to being susceptible to bull rushes. Matthews' run blocking was below average early in the season, but got better. And after a stretch of four or five strong games late in the season, Matthews bombed in the season finale against Carolina.

Regardless, Matthews is a guy the Falcons are counting on in the immediate future. He just returned to practice Tuesday for the first time since undergoing January surgery to repair a Lisfranc ligament tear in his foot. He looks intent on showing last year was just part of the growing pains. His work ethic certainly is not a concern.

Would the Falcons really have an upgrade over Matthews, anyway? Not on the current roster. Right tackle Ryan Schraeder is settling in, so there's no reason to move him. Former starting left tackle Sam Baker remains sidelined coming off last year's significant knee surgery and his future with the team is uncertain.Lamar Holmes is filling in at left tackle now, but certainly isn't the long-term answer. Veteran Tyler Polumbus is just another body and a career right tackle.

Again, nobody is denying that Matthews struggled last season. However, it's way too early for the Falcons to give up on the guy they expect to be their anchor.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Matthews is nowhere close to the player that G-Rob is...I mean, if you watch the Falcons, he gets all kinds of help on most long pass plays...And is constantly getting bulled back..G-Rob has his struggles as well, but also flashes the athletic ability he was drafted for.....No way I'd want to switch these two....

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Yes, I was discussing that last week. Plus, Eric Fisher got moved to RT, Luke Joekel, and Lane Johnson are all not doing great right now, etc, etc. These were all recent top 10 picks. It takes a little while for these guys to get going. Next year, GRob, will be a stud.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-fal...e-matthews-near-bottom-in-pff-roster-rankings
Falcons, Jake Matthews near bottom in PFF roster rankings

Pro Football Focus ranked all 32 NFL rosters for ESPN (Insider), and the result for the Atlanta Falcons wasn't too kind.

The Falcons actually dropped one spot from last year's initial list, falling from No. 30 to No. 31. You'll have to read the piece to see which players PFF have as the top five Falcons, with two of them somewhat of a surprise.

The one element that caught the eye immediately was one of the five players PFF named as a starter who should be upgraded: left tackle Jake Matthews. Here is the part of the analysis related to Matthews:

Johnny Manziel at Texas A&M didn't exactly make the transition to an NFL scheme any easier.

In all fairness, Matthews should have been sidelined four to six weeks after suffering a high ankle sprain in the season opener against New Orleans. Instead, he missed just one game and refused to use the injury as a crutch, although it obviously hampered his play.

While evaluating Matthews throughout the season, former Falcons offensive line coach Mike Tice believed Matthews' sets were inconsistent. Tice constantly rode Matthews about his hand placement, telling him there was too much catching that led to being susceptible to bull rushes. Matthews' run blocking was below average early in the season, but got better. And after a stretch of four or five strong games late in the season, Matthews bombed in the season finale against Carolina.

Regardless, Matthews is a guy the Falcons are counting on in the immediate future. He just returned to practice Tuesday for the first time since undergoing January surgery to repair a Lisfranc ligament tear in his foot. He looks intent on showing last year was just part of the growing pains. His work ethic certainly is not a concern.

Would the Falcons really have an upgrade over Matthews, anyway? Not on the current roster. Right tackle Ryan Schraeder is settling in, so there's no reason to move him. Former starting left tackle Sam Baker remains sidelined coming off last year's significant knee surgery and his future with the team is uncertain.Lamar Holmes is filling in at left tackle now, but certainly isn't the long-term answer. Veteran Tyler Polumbus is just another body and a career right tackle.

Again, nobody is denying that Matthews struggled last season. However, it's way too early for the Falcons to give up on the guy they expect to be their anchor.

How can PFF rate him #1 over the first 4 games, then say he is a liability? One of these is incorrect.

Alan

Legend
blue4 reading the tea leaves:
How can PFF rate him #1 over the first 4 games, then say he is a liability? One of these is incorrect.
Where does it say he's #1 over the last four games?
This "While evaluating Matthews throughout the season, former Falcons offensive line coach Mike Tice believed Matthews' sets were inconsistent. Tice constantly rode Matthews about his hand placement, telling him there was too much catching that led to being susceptible to bull rushes. Matthews' run blocking was below average early in the season, but got better. And after a stretch of four or five strong games late in the season, Matthews bombed in the season finale against Carolina." is obviously from last year so I'm not sure you're not looking at different grades for different years.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Where does it say he's #1 over the last four games?
This "While evaluating Matthews throughout the season, former Falcons offensive line coach Mike Tice believed Matthews' sets were inconsistent. Tice constantly rode Matthews about his hand placement, telling him there was too much catching that led to being susceptible to bull rushes. Matthews' run blocking was below average early in the season, but got better. And after a stretch of four or five strong games late in the season, Matthews bombed in the season finale against Carolina." is obviously from last year so I'm not sure you're not looking at different grades for different years.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/9...-jake-matthews-is-leagues-most-efficient-pass

Alan

Legend
blue4 conflating instead of deflating like a real QB who wants to win would do:
http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/9...-jake-matthews-is-leagues-most-efficient-pass

You seem to have misread that passage blue. Here's what it actually said:
"His pass blocking efficiency of 99.4 leads all offensive tackles."
That is only one aspect of his game. Now it's understandable as to how both of those statements can be true. The rest of his game must really suck eh? Plus of course that article was talking about last year and your article is talking about the first 4 games of this year. He seems to have made a big improvement. Except for his last game of course.

The bottom line here, corroborated by more than just PFF, is that Matthews was suffering through a huge learning curve just like GRob was/is. I don't know about you but it makes me feel a little better about the pick. I still don't like the fact that they didn't catch my mental projections urging them to pick Matthews. Those tin foil hats the're all wearing now are really screwing up their reception. GRob is improving too but I still have concerns about his ceiling. We've drafted "athletically gifted" LTs before and it hasn't worked out that well for us. I'm trying to remain positive. GO GROB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!