Matt Williamson Prediction (Rams v Redskins)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
les a legit NFL front 7 further on down the schedule. Seattle, Jacksonville, NYG, Houston,

Agreed. Skins are not that good offensively thus far this year, and defensively they are nothing special going back through a larger sample size.

This is a good time to play them. Tougher defenses definitely lie ahead though.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Zach Brown hit FA and couldn't get a legitimate contract from anyone. If anything I think I oversold him based on his 2016 season with Ryan. Before that, he was a JAG. I stand by what I said about Foster. The Bears waived him back in 2015 after the preseason. He's just an average player.

Breeland has had some spurts of very good player and some spurts of terrible play. Here's a good description:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...breeland-to-see-more-snaps-at-slot-cb-in-2017

He's been a good CB in the slot and a pedestrian CB outside. Washington seems intent on playing him outside again this year.

If anything, I might have sold Swearinger short if he plays like he did last year. But those other guys are who they are, except maybe Zach Brown.

As for DeShazor Everett, I don't know how he's played in the NFL, but he was not a good college player at Texas A&M, so I'm not expecting him to knock our socks off.

I feel like your evaluations of Brown and Swearinger conflict a bit, but I guess we agree to disagree. I may be overvaluing Foster, but I'll stick by Brown.

I still am not hot on Swearinger, but who knows.

Didn't realize Breeland was so inconsistent, but he really can put the screws on someone when he is on. I remember him playing great against Dez his rookie year on MNF. I guess he needs to iron out his game. Just hope the Rams catch him on an off game.

Everett is pretty much an unknown as far as I know. Just going off skins fans hype mostly.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like your evaluations of Brown and Swearinger conflict a bit, but I guess we agree to disagree. I may be overvaluing Foster, but I'll stick by Brown.

It's essentially the same evaluation. They had good 2016 seasons after not being good players previously. They're the two question marks on that defense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
roflbot.jpg

I thought Bruce Arians hated the Rams

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I thought Bruce Arians hated the Rams
Bruce Arians doesn't have time to hate the Rams right now.

0-1
traveling East for another 10AM game
David Johnson on IR
#2 WR OUT
starting LT OUT
starting LG OUT
starting TE doubtful
Palmer is old
Fitz is old
starting RT is old
starting RB is old

But they do get the Colts this week!
200.webp

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
It's essentially the same evaluation. They had good 2016 seasons after not being good players previously. They're the two question marks on that defense.

I mean, yeah, but it seems you're more willing to put stock in DJ over Brown. Admittedly, I'm the opposite, but no big.

They got a couple question marks, but I guess the point is that they are talented, much more so than the Colts. Hopefully the Rams prove themselves and silence some of the doubt from critics and erase some doubts from memories of years past.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Arians doesn't have time to hate the Rams right now.

0-1
traveling East for another 10AM game
David Johnson on IR
#2 WR OUT
starting LT OUT
starting LG OUT
starting TE doubtful
Palmer is old
Fitz is old
starting RT is old
starting RB is old

But they do get the Colts this week!
200.webp

Jacoby Brissett instead of Scott Tolzien though...

That said, that David Johnson injury is killer. I don't see that offense being above league average with the way Palmer is playing.

That defense needs to carry the load big time.

Cards should win this, but there's some doubt creeping in with all the things you mentioned. Even still, the season outlook is not good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean, yeah, but it seems you're more willing to put stock in DJ over Brown. Admittedly, I'm the opposite, but no big.

They got a couple question marks, but I guess the point is that they are talented, much more so than the Colts. Hopefully the Rams prove themselves and silence some of the doubt from critics and erase some doubts from memories of years past.

I am because I watched D.J. a lot last year and was impressed by his play. I didn't get to see much of Brown, so I'm stuck relying on numbers. The fact that NFL teams were so hesitant with him gives me doubts.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I am because I watched D.J. a lot last year and was impressed by his play. I didn't get to see much of Brown, so I'm stuck relying on numbers. The fact that NFL teams were so hesitant with him gives me doubts.

Fair enough. I was able to see quite a few Bills games last year and thought he finally put together the physical ability he showed as a prospect coming out. I remember the hype on him coming out of college but he flamed out with the Titans. Last year you could feel that speed and range he had coming out. The production was great. Really don't understand why more teams didn't bite on him.

There have been a few guys like that through out the NFL. Eric Winston for a long time or Robey-Coleman recently. There are players that can be productive but for some reason or another not have teams chomping at them.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-week-2-spread-picks

Redskins at Rams (-2.5)
Pick: Rams 24-22 (Washington covers)

Point (EE): These teams could not have had more opposite outcomes Week 1, with Washington losing a close one at home to the Eagles and the Rams blowing out the Colts. Jared Goff was one of our highest-graded quarterbacks during the first week, but did so against a Colts defense that was bad to begin with, and was without their best player (Vontae Davis).

Yards will be harder to come by against Josh Norman (79.2) and a Washington defense that added Zach Brown (83.0 grade last season) and D.J. Swearinger (87.1) this past offseason. I’ll need to see the Rams beat a team like Washington to believe they’re worthy of being favored by more than a point or two, even at home.

Counterpoint (GC): Kirk Cousins had a passer rating of 48.5 while taking four sacks when under pressure against the Eagles in Week 1. The Rams also welcome back interior force, Aaron Donald, who earned the top PFF grade regardless of position in each of the last two seasons (99.3 in 2015 and 98.5 in 2016).

Terrelle Pryor was underwhelming in his Washington debut catching just six of his 11 targets including a drop en route to a 45.4 overall grade. While I’m hopeful the Redskins offense turns it around, recent history says that good changes aren’t coming from the district anytime soon.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Hope so to, and if they do, people won't be able to say "they just beat up on a bad Colts team" anymore.

No, they will just say that the Rams beat a crappy washington team. People wont give the Rams credit until they beat dallas in week 4. They wont be able to dismiss it as beating a crappy team after being on Dak and Zekes nuts for over a year now.

JRobinson

MiLB
I think you're being a bit kind. Looking at their starting lineup:
DE: Stacy McGee - JAG
NT: Ziggy Hood - Liability
DE: Jonathan Allen - Talented rookie
OLB: Ryan Kerrigan - Very good player
ILB: Mason Foster - Average
ILB: Zach Brown - Average to above average
OLB: Preston Smith - Inconsistent
CB: Josh Norman - Great player
CB: Bashaud Breeland - Inconsistent
FS: D.J. Swearinger - Good last year; bad before that
SS: DeShazor Everett - Uncertain

They're not completely lacking in talent, but they don't have many guys who are established top players. And their DC, Manusky, isn't good at his job.

Hey Jrry, this is what I got in response from a Skins guy:

DE: Stacy McGee - Stops the run, no pass rush
NT: Ziggy Hood - Played well last week, coached up by Tomsula who knows how to develop a nose
DE: Jonathan Allen - Talented rookie. Good against the run and can pass rush.
OLB: Ryan Kerrigan - Very good player. Inconsistent run stopper.
ILB: Mason Foster - Average to above average. Good run stuffer.
ILB: Zach Brown - Pro bowler last year, looked that way too in game 1. Great run stuffer.
OLB: Preston Smith - Good to very good rookie year. Mediocre 2nd year. Looked good last week.
CB: Bashaud Breeland - Good player who has a bad year last season, looked good in week 1. Press corner, mostly.
FS: D.J. Swearinger - Good last year; bad before that, leader of this defense. Was great in camp, good in week 1.
SS: DeShazorEverett - Uncertain. Hits hard but still learning the position -- can get out of position.

Edit: this isn't me being a homer, I really like the defensive personnel this season. They stunk last year. Hood seems transformed at the nose (or at least it looks that way from game 1). The dude was a first rounder so he isn't devoid of talent. Zach Brown was all over the field against the Eagles. The dude is fast and can tackle. Breeland was a good corner for his career and had a bad season out of nowhere last year but looked sharp on Sunday. Fuller was a train wreck his first year at nickel corner. But he was very good in camp and very good in game 1. Preston Smith looked like an emerging star in his rookie year. Got 8 sacks in limited play. Last year he only had 4.5 sacks. He slimmed down and looked better this camp, played well and got a sack in week 1. They lost last week because of the offense as opposed to defense. That's a 180 from last season. Though the personnel is significantly different this season.

I'd say the weakness of the unit is Everett is a work in progress. The D line doesn't really bring much pass rush yet. It looks like it can stop the run but they weren't really up against a stiff running attack to be tested. Allen and Ioannidis have the potential to bring some pressure up the middle judging by camp and preseason. I don't think the front 7 is great at dropping in coverage and playing zone.

The strength is (knock on wood) the secondary. Zach Brown up the middle. And the edge pass rush. Kerrigan, Preston, Galette, Anderson. Galette looked good in limited snaps last Sunday, he is supposed to play more. He had a sack nullified by a penalty last Sunday.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-week-2-spread-picks

Redskins at Rams (-2.5)
Pick: Rams 24-22 (Washington covers)

Point (EE): These teams could not have had more opposite outcomes Week 1, with Washington losing a close one at home to the Eagles and the Rams blowing out the Colts. Jared Goff was one of our highest-graded quarterbacks during the first week, but did so against a Colts defense that was bad to begin with, and was without their best player (Vontae Davis).

Yards will be harder to come by against Josh Norman (79.2) and a Washington defense that added Zach Brown (83.0 grade last season) and D.J. Swearinger (87.1) this past offseason. I’ll need to see the Rams beat a team like Washington to believe they’re worthy of being favored by more than a point or two, even at home.

Counterpoint (GC): Kirk Cousins had a passer rating of 48.5 while taking four sacks when under pressure against the Eagles in Week 1. The Rams also welcome back interior force, Aaron Donald, who earned the top PFF grade regardless of position in each of the last two seasons (99.3 in 2015 and 98.5 in 2016).

Terrelle Pryor was underwhelming in his Washington debut catching just six of his 11 targets including a drop en route to a 45.4 overall grade. While I’m hopeful the Redskins offense turns it around, recent history says that good changes aren’t coming from the district anytime soon.

I dont get why people pick such random/stupid numbers when picking the score of games. like does this guy not realize how had it is to get 22 points? have a hard time listening to what someone says about a game when they pick crazy numbers like that

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey Jrry, this is what I got in response from a Skins guy:

DE: Stacy McGee - Stops the run, no pass rush
NT: Ziggy Hood - Played well last week, coached up by Tomsula who knows how to develop a nose
DE: Jonathan Allen - Talented rookie. Good against the run and can pass rush.
OLB: Ryan Kerrigan - Very good player. Inconsistent run stopper.
ILB: Mason Foster - Average to above average. Good run stuffer.
ILB: Zach Brown - Pro bowler last year, looked that way too in game 1. Great run stuffer.
OLB: Preston Smith - Good to very good rookie year. Mediocre 2nd year. Looked good last week.
CB: Bashaud Breeland - Good player who has a bad year last season, looked good in week 1. Press corner, mostly.
FS: D.J. Swearinger - Good last year; bad before that, leader of this defense. Was great in camp, good in week 1.
SS: DeShazorEverett - Uncertain. Hits hard but still learning the position -- can get out of position.

Edit: this isn't me being a homer, I really like the defensive personnel this season. They stunk last year. Hood seems transformed at the nose (or at least it looks that way from game 1). The dude was a first rounder so he isn't devoid of talent. Zach Brown was all over the field against the Eagles. The dude is fast and can tackle. Breeland was a good corner for his career and had a bad season out of nowhere last year but looked sharp on Sunday. Fuller was a train wreck his first year at nickel corner. But he was very good in camp and very good in game 1. Preston Smith looked like an emerging star in his rookie year. Got 8 sacks in limited play. Last year he only had 4.5 sacks. He slimmed down and looked better this camp, played well and got a sack in week 1. They lost last week because of the offense as opposed to defense. That's a 180 from last season. Though the personnel is significantly different this season.

I'd say the weakness of the unit is Everett is a work in progress. The D line doesn't really bring much pass rush yet. It looks like it can stop the run but they weren't really up against a stiff running attack to be tested. Allen and Ioannidis have the potential to bring some pressure up the middle judging by camp and preseason. I don't think the front 7 is great at dropping in coverage and playing zone.

The strength is (knock on wood) the secondary. Zach Brown up the middle. And the edge pass rush. Kerrigan, Preston, Galette, Anderson. Galette looked good in limited snaps last Sunday, he is supposed to play more. He had a sack nullified by a penalty last Sunday.

While I'm sure he knows his team better than I do, the Redskins fans I've spoken with have tended to opine that their defense lacks talent. I have a feeling he's being a bit optimistic, like all of us are, with his favorite team. I'm sure we're overly optimistic about the Rams.