Matt Nagy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I enjoy Dan Orlovsky, and think he has many good takes.

Not sure I like him calling for Nagy to be fired.

I am certain that his take at the beginning of the above video is weak.

Orlovsky was critical of Nagy not doing more to protect Fields on pass plays and makes this point with two numbers. Said, Fields 'threw the ball 20 times' (Accurate). Then he stated that the Bears 'went with five-man-protection 13 times' (will assume that is also accurate). Orlovsky then made his point that the Bears (Nagy) 'went with 'the minimum protection 13-out-of-20 times' (65%).

When I heard the comment this morning, I said to myself ... "Fields was sacked nine times" ... that's nine additional drop-backs. Then I wondered how many runs out of the pocket Fields had (I believe he just had a couple). Never-the-less, those are also drop-backs; and that increases the number from 20-to-30-plus.

Assuming the Bears were in five-man-protection 13 times (like Orlovsky stated), the percentage of minimal protection schemes on drop-backs is much lower than his 65% ... maybe closer to 40%.

It's not a huge deal but it is sloppy reporting. Orlovsky could have criticized Nagy without using inaccurate numbers.

Why did Orlovsky do it?
Did he have a brain-fart, or was he manipulating the numbers to help make his point?
Either answer is bad.

Maybe I should call for ESPN to fire Dan Orlovsky?!?

Flint

Pro Bowler
Last week all these same idiots were screaming for Nagy to play Fields and you see what happened. Now they’re saying he didn’t do enough to get fields ready. I get wanting to see a highly touted draft pick but none of this years picks are exactly tearing it up, is it that big of a surprise that Fields is struggling too?
When he first came on the scene Orlofsky was kind of new and different, now he’s like Steven A lite, screaming in his outrage, it’s really over the top, and then there’s Rex talking about how he kicked Bill’s ass when Brady wasn’t there. The only reason these 2 clowns are sitting there is they weren’t good at football, and now they put out these over the top performances.

jjab360

Legend
Recent rookie QB success has everyone expecting rookie QBs to come in and instantly put up Justin Herbert/Baker Mayfield numbers and we've had to had some harsh reminders that those guys are the exception and not the norm.

I don't think it's fair to blame Nagy when he was forced to play Fields when he wasn't ready due to injury. Especially when he all but screamed at us that Fields wasn't ready by refusing to start him over and over and over again.

That being said, I think it's pretty clear that Nagy isn't that guy. He'll likely be gone soon and the Bears will likely be attempting to poach another McVay disciple when the coaching carousel starts up again.

EDIT: Then again, he was able to accomplish something pretty special with Trubisky of all QBs in 2018, so maybe he gets at least one more year to try and get the right surrounding cast around Fields and see what happens.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Orlovsky was critical of Nagy not doing more to protect Fields on pass plays and makes this point with two numbers. Said, Fields 'threw the ball 20 times' (Accurate). Then he stated that the Bears 'went with five-man-protection 13 times' (will assume that is also accurate). Orlovsky then made his point that the Bears (Nagy) 'went with 'the minimum protection 13-out-of-20 times' (65%).

When I heard the comment this morning, I said to myself ... "Fields was sacked nine times" ... that's nine additional drop-backs. Then I wondered how many runs out of the pocket Fields had (I believe he just had a couple). Never-the-less, those are also drop-backs; and that increases the number from 20-to-30-plus.

Assuming the Bears were in five-man-protection 13 times (like Orlovsky stated), the percentage of minimal protection schemes on drop-backs is much lower than his 65% ... maybe closer to 40%.

It's not a huge deal but it is sloppy reporting. Orlovsky could have criticized Nagy without using inaccurate numbers.

Why did Orlovsky do it?
Did he have a brain-fart, or was he manipulating the numbers to help make his point?
Either answer is bad.

Either way, having a "scheme" that only yields this:

1632932452204.png

Is no bueno. You would think he'd use JF's legs a bit.

EDIT: Then again, he was able to accomplish something pretty special with Trubisky of all QBs in 2018, so maybe he gets at least one more year to try and get the right surrounding cast around Fields and see what happens.

Everyone knew MT needed a lot of development, so I'm not sure I'd entirely rip on MT (who was also TO prone). Matt Nagy is the common denominator. How can one that has an O that has David Montgomery and Allen Robinson be so bad?

Psycho_X

Legend
Nagy seems to have gotten 4 years of a coaching salary thanks to Vic Fangio's defensive coaching there when he started. Since he left for Denver the Bears have been quickly sinking to the bottom of the standings while Denver is climbing.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just feel a little weird seeing a second string, retired QB demanding the resignation of an NFL coach because he now has a platform on a marginal sports channel. That damn Chris Simms....

Tano

Legend
Wasn't Dan Orlovsky the QB that stepped out of the end zone on a passing play?

Which one is Dumb and which one is Dumber?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Why did Orlovsky do it?
Either answer is bad.

Agreed. Fields is gonna need time to get his game online. Trotting him out there and using his legs to win you games now is some BS. How many QBs have the Bears fed to the wolves. If they want maximum return on their investment then give him some time to learn the offense so maybe he won't be out of the league in three years due to taking so many hits as a read/option QB.

If the guy came in and was more advanced then expected, or if he learned extremely fast and surprised everyone, then sure play him. But at some point you gotta trust these coaches do know something.

QBs are so important nowadays. It's a big investment in time not just draft picks. You gotta be willing to hold these guys out of the firing line if you know they're not at that point where they can process in real time without being overrun. Otherwise you're risking them getting hurt or even worse mentally checking out due to the abuse defenses will deal them.