Matt Millen: Similarities between me and John Lynch are kind of funny

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Matt Millen: Similarities between me and John Lynch are kind of funny

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-between-me-and-john-lynch-are-kind-of-funny/

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 30, 2017, 12:53 PM EST
DETROIT – DECEMBER 4: A young fan holds up a sign to fire Matt Millen, President and CEO of the Detroit Lions, during the game between the Lions and Minnesota Vikings at Ford Field on December 4, 2005 in Detroit, Michigan. The Vikings won the game 21-16. (Photo by Tom Pidgeon/Getty Images)

56331675_display_image.jpg

The 49ers shocked everyone when they hired John Lynch as their new G.M. because the move was almost unprecedented. Almost.

The one and only person to get a G.M. job with the same resume as Lynch — a long career playing defense in the NFL followed by several years as a broadcaster — is Matt Millen. And Millen was a disaster during a tenure in Detroit that culminated with the only 0-16 season in NFL history.

So what does Millen think of the 49ers hiring Lynch?

“When I heard the news, good luck,” Millen told the Free Press. “He’s a bright guy. I mean, the parallels are kind of funny, actually.”

You can forgive 49ers fans if they’re not laughing.

But Millen’s perspective is interesting because he acknowledges there was a lot he didn’t know when he took the Lions job, and he wonders whether Lynch realizes how much he doesn’t know.

“He was a defensive guy, he was a really good player,” Millen said of Lynch. “All those things, all that crap. But none of those things are factors. The things that are factors are, can you manage people? Can you get everybody on the same page? Can you handle the politics? If you got that, fine. If you don’t have it, then it’ll turn out the way it turns out.”

The 49ers can only hope it doesn’t turn out anywhere near as badly as the Lions hiring Millen turned out.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
to be fair, Lynch is a far superior tv analyst than millen ever was. who is to say he wont be a better GM too

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
to be fair, Lynch is a far superior tv analyst than millen ever was. who is to say he wont be a better GM too

I wonder. Think about the time GSm invest in the draft. If Lynch doesn't spend half that time on his own, then he is in for a rude awakening and a crash course. Throw in all of the other GM duties and he could be in for a rough couple of years until he adjusts. If he worked his way up the ladder he would have a more complete picture of what he has gotten into, and an easier transition. Throw the meddling York into the picture and he may regret his decision.

Maybe if York interferes, Lynch will lay him out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I wonder. Think about the time GSm invest in the draft. If Lynch doesn't spend half that time on his own, then he is in for a rude awakening and a crash course. Throw in all of the other GM duties and he could be in for a rough couple of years until he adjusts. If he worked his way up the ladder he would have a more complete picture of what he has gotten into, and an easier transition. Throw the meddling York into the picture and he may regret his decision.

Maybe if York interferes, Lynch will lay him out.

I believe Mike Shannahan will be on the staff to help advise.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Lynch's first order of business... write a mandatory security policy for the HC 's Hello Kitty backpack.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Millen did draft Megatron....after 2 or 3 years getting other wrs in the first round. Some of you guys should respect that. All that think a #1 wide out helps.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I believe Mike Shannahan will be on the staff to help advise.

I don't think it will help. That roster needs work, meaning Shanahan will need players to succeed. I don't think the chances of a first ever GM with zero experience is likely to get him those players. But, even Jerry Jones learned over time.

A55VA6

Legend
I like John Lynch but I hope he fails. Anything to hurt the Niners and I'm in! lol

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't think it will help. That roster needs work, meaning Shanahan will need players to succeed. I don't think the chances of a first ever GM with zero experience is likely to get him those players. But, even Jerry Jones learned over time.
They do have some nice pieces,salary cap, & draft picks.
Mike was there as an OC for UFC