Matt Longacre making the most of his opportunities

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
THOUSAND OAKS – Matt Longacre has been with the Rams for almost 18 months, but sometimes, he can’t completely shake his apprehension – the feeling that any given week, he could either be thrust into the starting lineup, or cut from the roster entirely.

That’s the mentality that comes with having clawed his way into the NFL – a path that has seem him go from an undrafted defensive end out of Northwest Missouri State, to practice squad member, to one of 53 names on the active roster. In a 17-13 road win over the Cardinals on Sunday, Longacre made his season debut – registering two tackles while playing a career-high 43 snaps on defense.

And with starting defensive ends William Hayes and Robert Quinn limited by ankle and shoulder injuries, respectively, Sunday’s home game against the Bills looms as another potential opportunity.

“You know your time’s going to come,” Longacre said after a recent practice. “You just don’t know when. You just have to look at it like that.”

The Rams have a habit of finding unpolished gems on the defensive line, with four players in the unit having hailed from non-FBS schools. Longacre is one of them. He drew little attention heading into the 2015 NFL draft, but on the advice of his agent, jumped at an offer to sign with a team that hasn’t been scared off by poor measurables.

“The difference (big and small schools) is, a lot of times, competition and coaching,” Rams defensive line coach Mike Waufle said. “But lot of these players have more gifts.”

Though he has only made six regular-season appearances in his young career, Longacre has shown promise. After last season, Pro Football Focus named him one of their top eight low-drafted or undrafted rookies. Two months ago, the site gave him the highest pass-rushing and run-defense grade of any defensive end in Week 1 of the preseason.

After being cut at the end of last year’s training camp, however, he was just as nervous heading into the 2016 regular season. Rams coach Jeff Fisher tried to ease his mind, but the friendly notice came with one round of trimming still to go.

When he made the final cut down to 53, it brought real playing time that much closer.

“It’s completely different from this year, being on active, when you know you’re most likely the next guy up,” Longacre said.

That’s particularly true for the Rams, who have a habit of frequently rotating their defensive linemen. Not even star defensive tackle Aaron Donald, arguably the best player in the NFL on either side of the ball, has played even 70 percent of defensive snaps in every game. (Donald was one snap short of the threshold in a win against the Seahawks, playing on 46 of 67 snaps.)

“That’s the key, is that you have to have depth, and you have to keep them fresh all the time,” Fisher said.

Since last season, Longacre said he’s been able to improve his pass rush. Picking up new techniques took time, and it was difficult for him to get comfortable without game reps.

“It helps knowing to not be afraid to make mistakes,” he said. “That’s one thing that hurt my game. Playing slow is not the right word, but you’re kind of apprehensive when it comes to guessing how you could in college.”

Longacre has a clear goal in mind too: “Get that sack that’s eluded me so far.”

[www.ocregister.com]

Contact the writer: jwang@scng.com

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Longacre had a good game on Sunday. Did a couple of things that don't show up on stats sheets such as taking out the RT on the play where Donald came round that right hand side and took out Palmer along with Sims from the other side.

He had a great stop on a running play as well. Forced his man back and got off the block to make what might have been a TFL.

Good player and, in my view, not as close to the bubble as he might think. We'd be stupid to let him go.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DL Matt Longacre & Ethan Westbrooks are not under contract in 2017. The Rams Org. early in 2017 will be scrambling to find a ways to sigh our #1- CB Johnson, #1-WR Britt, #1-QB Keenum, #1-Safety McDonald & kicker Greg Zuerlein plus others Brian Quick, Benning Cunningham, Dominique Easley, Cam Thomas & Louis Tricant Pasat. That's five DL'ers alone they will be looking at to keep. CB Trumaine Johnson has a market value of 14.2 million annual salary alone /4 yrs, $57,044,216 contract estimate!

Rams will have 15.41 % of its salary cap tied up in just 3 DE's Quinn-Hayes & Sims alone close to 20 million in 2017. Adding to that % with more additional cap space tied up @ DE would seem to be near impossible with what Dermoff will be facing.

Both Matt & Ethan are only 25 yrs old & would appear to have some very solid yrs ahead of them somewhere. Bet Dallas is looking hard at these two DE's in 2017. I would hate to loose Matt Longacre because outside of Rob Quinn, Matt is the next best pass rusher over Sims, Hayes & Westbrooks. Ethan does offer some other ingredients in the interior that Matt does not so he is no slouch either.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
DL Matt Longacre & Ethan Westbrooks are not under contract in 2017. The Rams Org. early in 2017 will be scrambling to find a ways to sigh our #1- CB Johnson, #1-WR Britt, #1-QB Keenum, #1-Safety McDonald & kicker Greg Zuerlein plus others Brian Quick, Benning Cunningham, Dominique Easley, Cam Thomas & Louis Tricant Pasat. That's five DL'ers alone they will be looking at to keep. CB Trumaine Johnson has a market value of 14.2 million annual salary alone /4 yrs, $57,044,216 contract estimate!

Rams will have 15.41 % of its salary cap tied up in just 3 DE's Quinn-Hayes & Sims alone close to 20 million in 2017. Adding to that % with more additional cap space tied up @ DE would seem to be near impossible with what Dermoff will be facing.

Both Matt & Ethan are only 25 yrs old & would appear to have some very solid yrs ahead of them somewhere. Bet Dallas is looking hard at these two DE's in 2017. I would hate to loose Matt Longacre because outside of Rob Quinn, Matt is the next best pass rusher over Sims, Hayes & Westbrooks. Ethan does offer some other ingredients in the interior that Matt does not so he is no slouch either.
This^ is going to be a Big problem in the Off-Season. But right now I just want to concentrate on Winning games this Season!(y);):D

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

Westbrooks is an RFA so they can tender him and Longacre will be a ERFA so its a good bet both of those guys will be back with reasonable tenders. I believe Trinca-Pasat is an ERFA as well so they can tender him if they want. Rams seem to have new backup DTs every year and they all play relitviely well, so no worries there if they don't bring easely or Thomas back.

thankfully as a SS TJ's market will be around 6mil a year and they can get that tomorrow if they want to.

Keenum is playing himself out of our price range and with Goff and Mannnion backing him up won't be a terrible loss.

I love Benny, but RB position simply not really valuable these days. Benny has proven that he was a UDFA and now our backup RB. With that said I suspect the Rams will bring him back on a cheaper contract like they did with Harkey

If they want Britt and Quick back neither will break the bank although this could be an either or kind of sc

Rams are projected to have about 40 mil in cap space plus whatever we gain from cutting Sensabaugh so they should be in good shape to bring alot of these guys back, because outside of Tru they are either restricted or wont break the bank.

wmc540

Pro Bowler

Matt and Ethan are good depth players, but nothing about their game would suggest a team would be willing to spend starter money on them. Matt a better pass rusher than Hayes??? No, just no. We should be able to keep them with Sims like deals and he would be the guy that we would move on from.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
DL Matt Longacre & Ethan Westbrooks are not under contract in 2017.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENT (RFA): A player whose contract has expired and has fewer than four tenured years in the league. He may sign an "Offer Sheet" with any other team, but his original team has seven days to match any offer he receives. If the original team does not match the offer, compensation will be awarded in the form of draft picks from the signing team.

The round and quantity of picks are determined by the "Qualifying Offer" made by the player's original team. If a (RFA) is tendered a minimum qualifying offer the compensation is the equivalent of the round in which that player was originally selected. If that player was originally a rookie free agent, no compensation is awarded.

DEFENSE

(Age) ....... (Player) ........... (Salary Cap Hit) .. (Year Contract Expires/Term)

(26) DE Robert QUINN ........ $11,157,374 ....... 2020 (UFA)
(31) DE William HAYES ......... $7,000,000 ....... 2019 (UFA)
(30) DL Eugene SIMS ............ $3,000,000 ....... 2019 (UFA)
(25) DL E. WESTBROOKS .......... $606,668 ....... 2017 (RFA)

(24) DE Matt LONGACRE ......... $525,000 ....... 2017 (ERFA)
(21) DE Fox MORGAN .............. $450,000 ....... 2019 (RFA)

(25) DT Michael BROCKERS .. $6,146,000 ...... 2020 (UFA)
(25) DT Aaron DONALD ........... $2,764,500 ...... 2018 (Team Option)
(24) DT Dominique EASLEY ........ $600,000 ...... 2017 (UFA)
(29) DT Cam THOMAS ................ $600,000 ...... 2017 (UFA)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(26) LB Mark BARRON ........... $6,000,000 ....... 2021 (UFA)
(24) LB Alec OGLETREE .......... $2,236,829 ....... 2018 (UFA)

(24) LB Bryce HAGER ................. $543,035 ....... 2018 (RFA)
(23) LB Cory LITTLETON ............ $450,000 ....... 2019 (RFA)
(22) LB Brandon CHUBB ........... $450,000 ....... 2019 (RFA)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(26) CB Trumaine JOHNSON .. $13,952,000 ....... 2017 (UFA)
(27) CB Coty SENSABAUGH ...... $4,850,000 ....... 2019 (UFA)
(25) CB Lamarcus JOYNER ........ $1,371,867 ....... 2018 (UFA)

(24) CB EJ GAINES ........................ $626,918 ....... 2018 (UFA)
(24) CB Troy HILL ......................... $525,000 ....... 2018 (RFA)
(22) DB Mike JORDAN ................... $450,000 ....... 2019 (RFA)

(25) SS T.J. MCDONALD ............ $1,833,000 ....... 2017 (UFA)
(27) FS Cody DAVIS .................... $1,305,555 ....... 2018 (UFA)
(25) SS Maurice ALEXANDER ....... $716,065 ....... 2018 (UFA)

SUMMARY: Rams DEFENSE in 2017 Players under contract that will become (UFA's) (RFA's) or (ERFA's)

(26) CB Trumaine JOHNSON....... 2017 (UFA)
(25) SS T.J. MCDONALD ............ 2017 (UFA)

(24) DT D. EASLEY .................... 2017 (UFA)
(29) DT Cam THOMAS ............... 2017 (UFA)
(28) KK G. ZUERLEIN ................ 2017 (UFA)

(25) DL E. WESTBROOKS ......... 2017 (RFA)
(24) DE Matt LONGACRE ........... 2017 (ERFA)

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENT (ERFA): Which isn't really very "free" at all. Such a player has no more than two accrued seasons in the NFL and may only sign with his prior team, provided, of course, that the team extends a minimum qualifying offer to the player.. No compensation is awarded for losing EFAs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With the Rams holding out 3 of the 4 starting DL'ers from practice Thursday & Friday it is a certain that DE Matt Longacre will see a serious amount of playing time this Sunday. DE Quinn & Hayes were held out this entire week. Brockers saw limited action Wednesday but was pulled & sat down. Matt Longacre goes from street clothes non active for up to nearly 4 weeks of the regular season then plays a lot in his first game against the Cards & now this week he will get some serious HD action in his 2nd game. Matt Longacre might play himself right into a full blown NFL contract very soon in 2017.

http://www.therams.com/team/injury-report.html

If these 3 starters do not play, then this is where we see the complete value in both young Westbrooks & veteran Eugene Sims.... both can play the interior as well as they can play the exterior. Thus leaving a ton of work for Matt Longacre. I maintain that on passing downs Sims is much better playing inside than outside.

I sure hate to see RDE Rob Quinn down with another injury. This defense effectiveness hangs on his ability to presser the QB from the edge & without him the entire defense has to work twice as hard. But if the Rams have to go without both starting DE's its going to be tough go.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6557/robert-quinn

Our top reserve DT Dominique Easley is far from being a WWC & when he is feeling good can be very effective inside against the run & pass. So if NT Brockers is out then Aaron Donald- Dom Easley-Cam Thomas & some combo of Westbrooks & Sims certainly are capable of filling the void & hole left by Brockers. Hip injuries are usually very painful & have a history of lingering around for long time on big men like Brockers. Anyway to look at it Cam Thomas stand to be about 10 pounds lighter after Sundays big game;).

Gregg is used to having 8 & even 9 DL'ers to rotate during games. This week he could be down to just 6. Makes me wonder if he is thinking of DL Morgan Fox might help form the PS? Having a Morgan Fox active would permit Gregg to utilize his remaining 3 DE's Sims-Westbrooks & Longacre on the 2 DE posts. DL Morgan Fox did show to be an effective pass rusher from the interior of the DL in pre season.

Not so sure that Gregg will need 10 DB's he has on the roster even with some of those DB's starting at LB'er posts. Wonder if the roster spot occupied by newbie Safety ex Cards Marqui Christian has fulfilled his need after the Cards win???:thinking:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There is NO way we're thinking about keeping Keenum...Is there? Geez!

I know I know we were discussing the DL injuries & such....but LACHAMP46 is up now after a wild Friday night & is a bit foggy........:coffee: How long did Fisher keep QB Kerry Collins around five seasons after traveling around from five NFL teams? After Fisher left him in 2010 season Collins skills let him to play only in 3 more NFL games before he was part of history & retired. I am not so sure that Fisher will let Case Keenum depart the Rams in 2017.

When you look at last season in Case's five starts & his four starts this season he is going along about the same but for a few areas in 2015 Case had only 1 INT & was sacked only 4 times. In 2016 Case has 3 INTs & has been sacked 8 times! Just indicate that the starting OL & Paul Boudreau, minus the replaced & released veteran OG Garrett Reynolds & inserted OG Rodger Saffold has some explaining to do:huh:....:puke:!

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How long did Fisher keep QB Kerry Collins around five seasons after traveling around from five NFL teams? After Fisher left him in 2010 season Collins skills let him to play only in 3 more NFL games before he was part of history & retired.I am not so sure that Fisher will let Case Keenum depart the Rams in 2017.
hmm, let me do a lil research....get back to you on this....

This is a Matt Longacre thread!!!!
I saw this play vs Az...Longacre vs whom I consider one of the best LT's in the game Veldheer....He came in, 2nd quarter, and bull-rushed this guy...got a hand up and forced Palmer's scary ass to throw the ball away. I think it was his first play of the game...I had to follow #96 around as GW moved him all over the line...and he was causing havoc...This goes to a point I make...Anyone can see, he's playing like our BEST DL...yet, he was only active due to injuries to Hayes. The best guys don't always play...Don't start...Sometimes get cut...The best guys, the best players don't ALWAYS PLAY...Politics...maybe...ego's (how's this udfa gonna start over Quinn? or Hayes)...I can't explaing this phenomenon...but it's been going on for a while...in youth sports, we call it daddy-ballers...the dads play their kids...I don't know what to call this shit in the pros...
Will Longacre start Sunday? Who knows, but what I do know is this, Buffalo is hurting on the line, esp the tackles, and when Longacre gets in the game, he'll look better than every lineman we have besides Aaron Donald....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
hmm, let me do a lil research....get back to you on this....

This is a Matt Longacre thread!!!!
I saw this play vs Az...Longacre vs whom I consider one of the best LT's in the game Veldheer....He came in, 2nd quarter, and bull-rushed this guy...got a hand up and forced Palmer's scary ass to throw the ball away. I think it was his first play of the game...I had to follow #96 around as GW moved him all over the line...and he was causing havoc...This goes to a point I make...Anyone can see, he's playing like our BEST DL...yet, he was only active due to injuries to Hayes. The best guys don't always play...Don't start...Sometimes get cut...The best guys, the best players don't ALWAYS PLAY...Politics...maybe...ego's (how's this udfa gonna start over Quinn? or Hayes)...I can't explaing this phenomenon...but it's been going on for a while...in youth sports, we call it daddy-ballers...the dads play their kids...I don't know what to call this crap in the pros...
Will Longacre start Sunday? Who knows, but what I do know is this, Buffalo is hurting on the line, esp the tackles, and when Longacre gets in the game, he'll look better than every lineman we have besides Aaron Donald....

Yes the Bills starting OLT Cordy Glenn has been dealing with an injury this early season. He has only played in 2 games. His back up who played 2 games for him is out too. Sims should start @ RDE upped on the massive Glenn but Rams might try Donald out there to check out that ankle of Glenn....Matt Longacre might have some success too.
http://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report.html

So fast we forget that Matt Longacre was the all star MVP of our DL in the four pre season games in 2016.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8...s-rams-de-matt-longacre-wins-preseason-week-1

Makes veteran DE Chris Long's on field hustle for many seasons look mediocre when watching Matt Longacre play. Its not well known but Matt does have a history before the Rams.....

Named MIAA Defensive Player of the Year, AFCA All-America and All-MIAA First Team as a senior in 2014...earned MIAA Defensive Player of the Year as a junior as well...appeared in 11 games as a senior and had 37 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 7.0 sacks, 17 quarterback hurries, four pass breakups and one forced fumble...as a junior, named Don Hansen co-Defensive Player of the Year and First Team All-America and AP Little First Team All-America...named Defensive Scout Team Player of the Year during his redshirt season...Honorary captain of the 2009 Lincoln Journal Star Super-State team as a high school senior... earned first-team all-state honors by the Omaha World-Herald and the Lincoln Journal Star...helped lead the Wildcats to a state title in 2008 and a runner-up finish in 2009...also wrestled at 215 pounds.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm really starting to question the effectiveness of OL coach Paul Boudreau. I went to several practices at Irvine and focused on the OL group and was not impressed with Boo's methods or his results. This Rams OL should be much better and it's not.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
There is NO way we're thinking about keeping Keenum...Is there? Geez!

Not only do I believe Keenum won't be returning, ... imo, Sims, Barnes & Saffold, may also receive pink slips next season. That's $12.mil in CAP. Potential free agent guys like Quick, Britt, McDonald & Tru Johnson could easily seek the highest outside offerings as did Janoris Jenkins & McLeod earlier this year. The Rams have invested a lot of draft picks in offensive linemen and receivers these last two seasons, management may very well be expecting them to step up, and that would free up a lot of CAP for other uses. Sensabaugh alone saves some $5.mil off next years CAP. Not sure anyone is giving hometown discounts any longer, so I won't be expecting them all to re-sign with us. If Zuerlein keeps up his present pace, he may be the one player I suspect will return. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not only do I believe Keenum won't be returning, ... imo, Sims, Barnes & Saffold, may also receive pink slips next season. That's $12.mil in CAP. Potential free agent guys like Quick, Britt, McDonald & Tru Johnson could easily seek the highest outside offerings as did Janoris Jenkins & McLeod earlier this year. The Rams have invested a lot of draft picks in offensive linemen and receivers these last two seasons, management may very well be expecting them to step up, and that would free up a lot of CAP for other uses. Sensabaugh alone saves some $5.mil off next years CAP. Not sure anyone is giving hometown discounts any longer, so I won't be expecting them all to re-sign with us. If Zuerlein keeps up his present pace, he may be the one player I suspect will return. jmo.

I would agree with you fully on DE Eugene Sims & a little less on OL'er Rodger Saffold but would disagree completely on any consideration of termination of Center Tim Barnes.

We saw the Rams Org. dish out a nice contract to Sims after a very poor 2015 season. I have no real reason to offer up as to why:thinking:. He spent the majority of the 2015 season as the starter @ RDE & had very few pressures, only 1 1/2 sacks & way too many costly penalties. So maybe they do not have to step it up to remain here Sims is a true indicator of that. On Sims the Rams already have younger & much more valuable replacement in 25 yr old Ethan Westbrooks. EW has better skills than the soon to be 31 yr old Sims. I should also mentioned another DE Matt Longacre too.

Rams have gotten very little in return on Saffold since 2010 season. Rams paid him 8.2 million last season & as usual Saffold finished only 4 games & was IR'd. RS does FACT have a serious medical history & missing major parts of many seasons so that's well known but RS performance has been vastly overhyped for years now even to this day, many here in this forum believe & think & post to claim Saffold performs like an all pro :huh:...:palm:. Not in reality. Rams are on the hook to pay Saffold a near 14 million for the next two seasons....I would ask whyo_O?

Saffold for 5 games thus far has shown he only marginally more effective than his other left side partner Greg Robinson. RS supposedly powerful run blocking is far in his rear view mirror & he is only 28 yrs old. Most maintain he is a bad OT I will :argue: at this stage in his NFL career OT is RS best :lifting: playing position don't care what side left or right. With two recent drafted left OG's sitting on the bench in Jamon Brown & Andrew Donnal (might even throw in Greg Robinson name in here too...) the best place for RS to earn his 14 million the next 2 seasons ( & keep his job) will be @ OLT in place of the now playing "Fail Mode" ongoing @ OLT in the name of Greg Robinson. RS played very well @ OT in the four pre season games this season fact is RS performed real good & is more technically sound than any other Ram OL'er. One area where RS has done well is in his pass blocking in the first 5 games. He needs to take those pass rushing skills & use them @ OLT post where they are in critical need for the future Goff.:bueller:

Last edited: