Matt LeFleur for OC?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Rams ask for permission to interview Altanta QB coach for OC. LeFleur and McVay worked together in Washington.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last I read Atlanta was going to deny access to assistants. They might wait until they promote from within after Shanny leaves.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Would love this as our OC hire but would be totally shocked if the Falcons allow it.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last I read Atlanta was going to deny access to assistants. They might wait until they promote from within after Shanny leaves.
FWIW, supposedly Atlanta wants an experienced play caller at OC and Chip Kelly is in play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah that was the word. Even worse is the rumor that LaFleur was a strong contender for OC.

But you never know what a team is thinking in terms of their staff and if they elect to go with a guy who has more experience things might line up for McVay once again. Crossin my fingers he gets his guy.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lcons-qb-coach-for-offensive-coordinator-job/

Report: Rams want to interview Falcons’ QB coach for offensive coordinator job
Posted by Zac Jackson on February 5, 2017

The Rams will seek permission to interview Falcons quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur for their offensive coordinator position, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Sunday.

With Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan expected to be named head coach of the 49ers in the coming days, LaFleur could end up choosing between a promotion with the Falcons and going to the Rams, where he would work under new head coach Sean McVay.

McVay, Shanahan and LaFleur worked together with the Redskins. LaFleur is in his second season with the Falcons after spending 2014 as quarterbacks coach at Notre Dame. His first NFL job was in 2008 with the Texans.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport tweeted that if LaFleur ends up with the Rams, former Eagles and 49ers head coach Chip Kelly “has a real chance” at becoming the offensive coordinator in Atlanta. Schefter’s report said Atlanta “has expressed interest” in Kelly.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah that was the word. Even worse is the rumor that LaFleur was a strong contender for OC.

But you never know what a team is thinking in terms of their staff and if they elect to go with a guy who has more experience things might line up for McVay once again. Crossin my fingers he gets his guy.
Maybe they want to bring in Chip Kelly, and let him pick them members of the current staff he would like to keep, and then allow interviews!?!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
If Shanny leaves for SF, it would make total sense for LaFleur to be moved up to OC. This would cause the least amount of disruption for their offense. If they don't look at him to be their OC, can they block other teams to pursue him as an OC? I thought league rules didn't allow teams to block a coaching move if it was considered a promotion.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If Shanny leaves for SF, it would make total sense for LaFleur to be moved up to OC. This would cause the least amount of disruption for their offense. If they don't look at him to be their OC, can they block other teams to pursue him as an OC? I thought league rules didn't allow teams to block a coaching move if it was considered a promotion.
That's what I originally thought, but the promotion rules only apply to a head coaching position.

I'd imagine if they let Lafleur interview with the Rams, they have to let him interview with everyone

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
it changed. I believe the only staff position that a team can't block is head coach.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
That's what I originally thought, but the promotion rules only apply to a head coaching position.

I'd imagine if they let Lafleur interview with the Rams, they have to let him interview with everyone
Sucks for guys who want to take the next step in their careers. If they don't promote him after Shanny leaves they should do the right thing and let him interview for an OC job. Hell, we allowed Boras to interview for other jobs.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Yes. If they block LaFleur to the 49ers, then they have to block him to us. Likewise, if they give permission for us, they must give permission to the 49ers.

They can also block everyone and just promote him if that's what they want to do.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
If they were denied permission , you would have thought that information would have leaked by now

and the Rams would have moved on , unless they were looking at someone else on the Falcons or Patriots staff

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Matt LaFleur, Rams have mutual interest, sources say

Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

[www.espn.com]

Not only is Atlanta poised to lose offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan to the San Francisco 49ers, but the Falcons also could be losing his logical replacement, quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur, according to league sources.

The Los Angeles Rams will request permission to speak with LaFleur after Super Bowl LI, as new head coach Sean McVay tries to reunite with the coach he once worked with on the Washington Redskins, according to sources.

LaFleur is interested in going from Atlanta to Los Angeles to reunite with McVay, who views LaFleur as a man capable of helping him implement his offense and teaching former No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff how to shine in the NFL game.

Atlanta could try to keep LaFleur, but it has expressed interest in a more experienced playcaller, someone such as former 49ers head coach Chip Kelly.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
This would be awesome. I hope Atlanta doesnt DNA rifle block a move for LaFleur that would result in a pay raise and promotion for this guy esp if they dont plan on promoting him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This would be awesome. I hope Atlanta doesnt DNA rifle block a move for LaFleur that would result in a pay raise and promotion for this guy esp if they dont plan on promoting him.

It doesn't look like they will . The Rams would have moved on by now if it wasn't going to happen. If LaFleur says he is interesting in moving to LA ?
The Rams McVay & Snead have good relations with Atlanta .There is no way they don't know the answer.

I'm sure that answer is -- Yes !!

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
It doesn't look like they will . The Rams would have moved on by now if it wasn't going to happen. If LaFleur says he is interesting in moving to LA ?
The Rams McVay & Snead have good relations with Atlanta .There is no way they don't know the answer.

I'm sure that answer is -- Yes !!

I have my fingers crossed brother