Matt Lafleur is a blessing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
LaFleur doesn't speak fluent and sharp like McVay does in his interviews but I sense this dude knows offensive football big time above the neck and is the biggest piece of the pie with helping McVay in the offensive game planning week to week..

It's only my personal perception of him and I could be over estimating him.

I believe he's McVay's right hand man and I wish I could be in the game planning room with these two guys during film study and strategy concepts when they're breaking down the next opponents defense.

If my instincts are correct about the young Lafleur, he's wicked smart with his NFL offensive knowledge and McVay takes his insight very seriously.

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Matt-LaFleur-Press-Conference-12-8/9d8b64f8-509c-4fd5-b8d1-4ca1c4bdfec1

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My fear is that the Rams could lose Matt LaFleur to a team as their Head Coach. Now LaFleur does not call plays and has never been a Head Coach or an Offensive Coordinator (with the exception of a small school Ashland in 2007), but I could see the Chicago Bears or Cincinnati Bengals hiring him as their next Head Coach. Both franchise are known for not breaking the bank and both teams will be firing high profile defensive coaches so going in the opposite direction is likely.for a young offensive coach.

Now LaFleur might not have enough experience, but he has many attributes and being a QB Whisper might propel LaFleur quicker than anticipated. My hope, it does not come to fruition for a few more years, but I have read articles that have LaFleur on the Bears short list.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
He reminds me so much of Jason Lee. Yeah, it would suck to lose him but unfortunately the vultures like to pick at the bones of a winning team and we can't really stop it.

ninedeuce

Rookie
Trying to find the “next McVay” will be the trend this offseason and who better to interview than a handpicked lieutenant of McVay himself. It makes too much sense for teams interview LaFleur. His success with Ryan and now Goff probably ensures at least an interview or two and the more success the offense has going forward, the more his stock will rise.

jjab360

Legend
Absolutely. McVay filled this offense with brilliant offensive minds who have had substantial success in this league. That's the true secret behind his genius, his humility.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good for LaFluer if he can get a dream job like HC, as much we won't like it. McVay will find another good guy to replace him, I think...

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
He’s obviously good at his role or McVay wouldn’t put him in the position. With that said, if I were hiring a HC off this staff, I’d take Aubrey Pleasant, though I get the appeal of trying to duplicate offensive success w LaFluer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LaFluer still lacks considerable experience.

Being an offensive coordinator it would take a promotion to hire him away.

Yeah, teams might want to replicate the McVay success, but it feels like he’s safe for now.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I think part of being able to sell a McVay like hiring to a fan base is the charisma and ability to answer questions smoothly and powerfully. I don't believe LaFleur is there yet.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure we have to worry about HC candidates this year but with the whole family atmosphere the Rams seem to have, I don’t see them blocking any of their assistants who get offers elsewhere.
Olson for instance could be offered an OC job elsewhere

Zodi

Hall of Fame
How about the work that Kromer has done, too? Turned chicken shit into chicken salad-- one of the better offensive lines in the league!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How about the work that Kromer has done, too? Turned chicken crap into chicken salad-- one of the better offensive lines in the league!
Could not agree more. I had just about lost hope that our 2nd & 3rd Snead draft selections of 2015 would come around. Kromer appears to mix with McVay offense scheme like peanut butter & jelly & bread sand-witch.

Things looked rough & jagged very early in TC when GRob was moved from starting LT to RT & then failed. Our starting RT for the last 2 seasons was moved to RG. Our top reserve RT was still under going rehab from surgery. Then top reserve OG Jamon Brown was tried @ RT. Rams had nothing coming in from Snead's & McVay's 2017 draft to help.

Snead did hunt down & court & enticed an old warn down Clydesdale out of considering retirement named Andrew Whitworth. Then McVay introduced Kromer to a damaged back & repaired many times who had not won a starting center post in 2 yrs John Sullivan. Eventually cutting former starters & reserves Tim Barnes, Andrew Donnal, David Arkin & Cody Wichmann.

Snead & Kromer were forced to scrap & dig up WWC's & UDFAS's & make do with ex OC Colt Austin Blythe & ex RT Lion Cornelius Lucas plus rookie interior OL'ers Jake Eldrenkamp & Arron Nearly to go with a lone Ram holdover OL who was on injured reserve (2015/2016 seasons) Darrell Williams. It stills a major gamble to run with this Nickle OL scrap heap reserve unit but thus far its holding OK for them. A reserve up grade @ LT in 2018 is a another issue.

Last edited:

RedRam

Pro Bowler
How about the work that Kromer has done, too? Turned chicken crap into chicken salad-- one of the better offensive lines in the league!
Chicken salad? I'm thinking more along the lines of 2" thick prime ribeye. (y)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
LaFluer still lacks considerable experience.

Being an offensive coordinator it would take a promotion to hire him away.

Yeah, teams might want to replicate the McVay success, but it feels like he’s safe for now.

Agreed. I wouldn't hire him just yet, he's a different type dude than McVay too, doesn't have that gift of gab and ridiculous recall in interviews so he will probably need to "run the circuit" for two to three years before he gets his shot.

Joe Barry should be the guy getting the attention. He's been a DC and is now learning at the side of the master. Good dude, knowledgeable, etc. IMO he'll be the first guy hired away from this staff but even he's probably a year or two out from that happening.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Matt LaFleur, Rams offensive coordinator

At 38, LaFleur is the youngest and least experienced of the candidates on this list. He may be one of the strongest, though. LaFleur is in his 10th season of coaching in the NFL after coaching at small schools in the college ranks.

In the NFL, LaFleur has been a quality control coach, a quarterback coach and now an offensive coordinator. He previously worked closely with both Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay in Washington and now serves as McVay’s offensive coordinator with the Rams, who are tied for first in the league in points per game.

LaFLeur is highly thought of in the NFL but he has never been a play caller at this level, as McVay calls the plays for the Rams. Still, LaFleur is one of coaches who has played a significant role in the improved play of quarterback Jared Goff.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/12/08/bears-coaching-candidates-if-john-fox-fired/

Ram65

Legend
LaFleur said "You can really feel him when he gets the ball in his hands. He is a real physical guy" Sums up Sammy. This is why they have to get him going. LaFleur has that reserved manner but you can see his intelligence. Seems like a good communicator coach that knows his football. His day will come.

Zero

Pro Bowler
My fear is that the Rams could lose Matt LaFleur to a team as their Head Coach. Now LaFleur does not call plays and has never been a Head Coach or an Offensive Coordinator (with the exception of a small school Ashland in 2007), but I could see the Chicago Bears or Cincinnati Bengals hiring him as their next Head Coach. Both franchise are known for not breaking the bank and both teams will be firing high profile defensive coaches so going in the opposite direction is likely.for a young offensive coach.

Now LaFleur might not have enough experience, but he has many attributes and being a QB Whisper might propel LaFleur quicker than anticipated. My hope, it does not come to fruition for a few more years, but I have read articles that have LaFleur on the Bears short list.

The one I am worried about losing is Bones.
Whatever were paying him,I say double it,triple it.
Just don't let him leave.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The one I am worried about losing is Bones.
Whatever were paying him,I say double it,triple it.
Just don't let him leave.

Well, I'm not sure any team would offer Fassel a Head Coaching gig. Special Teams is a great fit for him and the only Special Teams Coach that has become a Head Coach is John Harbaugh. It's rare, but could happen and I agree, IMHO, John Fassel is the best Special Teams Coach in the NFL and that includes the renown Dave Toub of the Chiefs.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Well, I'm not sure any team would offer Fassel a Head Coaching gig. Special Teams is a great fit for him and the only Special Teams Coach that has become a Head Coach is John Harbaugh. It's rare, but could happen and I agree, IMHO, John Fassel is the best Special Teams Coach in the NFL and that includes the renown Dave Toub of the Chiefs.
The man in your avatar did it too.:)
And I hope you are right

Zero

Pro Bowler
Trying to find the “next McVay” will be the trend this offseason and who better to interview than a handpicked lieutenant of McVay himself. It makes too much sense for teams interview LaFleur. His success with Ryan and now Goff probably ensures at least an interview or two and the more success the offense has going forward, the more his stock will rise.
why-dont-you-shut-your-whore-mouth.jpg

Blue Font Blue Font Blue Font
:)