Mathews Said He Will Lineup On the Outside On 1st and 2nd Downs.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
https://www.therams.com/video/matth...king-to-build-off-that-during-the-2019-season

Just after the 4 minute mark.

We have had speculation on where Mathews will lineup. He answers with on the outside LBer. He said on 3rd downs and passing downs there is flexibility to be in the middle or outside. I'm wondering what snap percentage Mathews gets. I guess this confirms that Kiser gets the inside spot next to Littleton in base defense unless someone challenges him. Who else is there beside 7th round draft pick Dakota Allen who is considered a smart player who that probably needs time to develop. Some have speculated that Ebu gets a shot at the middle.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
So at linebacker on first and second down;
Matthews
Kiser
Littleton
Dante Fowler

244.5 lbs. average of run-stopping beef.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not surprised at all really. He's an older player and can still play well on the edge, it's not good to have him in there thumping all downs at ILB he probably wouldn't make it to the playoffs. Good approach.

I read the impact on ILB that there's gonna be a wide open competition next to Littleton. Should be fun and yes some of the depth OLB will be tried there in camp.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wonder who would replace him on 3rd down? Obo? Ebukam? Sounds like it might get settled in training camp.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Clay Matthews getting a feel for where he'll play in Rams defense
gettyimages-835623314.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | May 21, 2019 9:08 am ET

Throughout his 10-year career, Clay Matthews has displayed excellent versatility at the linebacker position. He’s played both inside and outside, lining up as an off-ball linebacker, as well as an edge rusher.

The six-time Pro Bowler’s position will continue to be fluid with the Rams, once again playing inside and outside linebacker. The Rams have a greater need at edge rusher, which is where he should see most of his playing time, but Mark Barron’s departure opened up a hole next to Cory Littleton inside, too.

It’s still extremely early and the Rams have ample time to determine Matthews’ position, but it sounds like he’ll be outside more than inside.

“As far as base defense, first and second down, I’ll be playing one of the outside linebacker positions – you know, Sam or Will,” Matthews said Monday. “As far as third down or anytime there’s pass-rushing situations, it’s so flexible as far as where I can play on the outside, on the inside. So I think as I said when I first came here, that’s a little fluid. But as far as where they’re going to put me in the program, it’ll say outside linebacker.”

As Matthews said, it’ll likely be him and Dante Fowler Jr. as the starting outside linebackers. Cory Littleton and Micah Kiser will line up inside on first and second down, but Kiser will likely come off the field on third. That opens the door for Matthews to slide inside in passing situations, dropping into coverage or blitzing up the middle – something he did a lot in Green Bay.

Taylor Rapp and Marqui Christian will also find their way into the mix, getting on the field in sub-packages as dime linebackers in three-safety sets. Regardless, the Rams are going to find ways to get their best defenders on the field, and that’ll include Matthews more often than not.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos1image

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Kiser is the big mystery man this year. Zero snaps (on D) in 2018 to starting in 2019?

He showed a real nose for the ball on ST, hope that translates to ILB.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Kiser is the big mystery man this year. Zero snaps (on D) in 2018 to starting in 2019?

He showed a real nose for the ball on ST, hope that translates to ILB.

Loved the kid at Virginia and he's a thumper, Kiser will make a huge difference against the run IMHO.

Micah Kiser wants role on defense, 'will do whatever it takes' to help Rams

The Rams are still sorting out some voids created this offseason, which includes inside linebacker. Mark Barron was released and signed with the Steelers, paving the way for Micah Kiser to take over next to Cory Littleton. He won’t be handed the starting job after playing as many defensive snaps as Jared Goff: zero.

While Kiser was a contributor on special teams, he still has a lot to prove in terms of being a starting linebacker. He’ll do whatever it takes to help the Rams win the Super Bowl and hopes to play more on defense.

“I want to play a little bit more on defense. Get a role on defense and keep doing what I did last year on special teams,” Kiser said when asked of his goal for 2019. “I’m a part of that with Bones (special teams coordinator John Fassel) and all the guys out there. I will do whatever it takes to get us where we were last year, but ultimately win it. I think that’s special about our team is that guys are very selfless and do whatever it takes. It’s team first and whatever sacrifices you got to make… that’s what I’m willing to do and pretty sure that’s what everyone else is too.”

Go to Full Article--
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/video/matth...king-to-build-off-that-during-the-2019-season

Just after the 4 minute mark.

We have had speculation on where Mathews will lineup. He answers with on the outside LBer. He said on 3rd downs and passing downs there is flexibility to be in the middle or outside. I'm wondering what snap percentage Mathews gets. I guess this confirms that Kiser gets the inside spot next to Littleton in base defense unless someone challenges him. Who else is there beside 7th round draft pick Dakota Allen who is considered a smart player who that probably needs time to develop. Some have speculated that Ebu gets a shot at the middle.
Ebukam will get the premium opportunity to play & learn from one of the better 34 D edge rushers over this past decade. It's possible that Ebukam might get somesnaps in TC @ weakside interior position but I see him remaining as an OLB'er. Wade needs Ebukam to up his game @ OLB'er this season.

IF Wade keeps Littleton @ MLB'er then Kiser chances of starting go down by a large amount. It would up the chances of rookie Dakota Allen & 2nd yr Travin Howard to play a big part in this 2019 defense. This remains a big question for us Ram fans as to where CL will start.

I feel that vet Bryce Hager will be in contention too, it's easy to see this when BH is the most experienced LB'er Wade has. Plus BH can call the defense if needed. Wade may prefer having both long-time Ram young vet's Hager & Littleton on the field together on early downs. Both BH & CL were here when Wade/Barry arrived. These two LB'ers know what Wade wants. BH would surely come off the field in Nickle & Dime defenses. He would also stand a good chance to be replaced on 3rd downs by Clay Matthews.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The difference between Hager & Kiser is 2nd & 8 (Kiser) vs 2nd & 5 Hager!
Agree. I read somewhere that Kiser has dropped a few lbs down to 240. That could help to play the WSILB post. I also believe that Kiser is better in coverage than most think.

Some key problems with Kiser's game & which lead to most likely why he did not see any snaps on D might be some of his major flaws that he had throughout college....slow reads & reaction time, issues navigating through traffic & when Kiser did make the read it was a poor one where he filled the wrong hole.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Matthews will definitely help with the veteran presence. Ebukam seemed pretty meh to me as a pass rusher. He's an athletic kid but I think he needs to learn some things. Fowler was ok but nothing spectacular. Made some big plays at the right moment. I'm hoping a full camp in the system will help him have his breakout season.

Honestly, I think the defense might be just ok in the overall pass rush stats, but they could be better overall against the run and pass combined. Sacks aren't the only stats that make a good pass rush defense. Hurries, pressures and hits can affect quarterbacks. And we have what could be a very good secondary.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I imagine that we may see this on 3rd downs:

Fowler/Ebukam/Donald/Matthews rushing the QB

Ebukam at DT is intriguing to me because even though he's not DT size, he's very strong and quick.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I’m just over the Ebukam experiment. Time to give Obo a shot on the end, as I see Samson more of your edge-container type on run downs. Just doesn’t have the juice to get to the qb.

Just my two cents...

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I’m just over the Ebukam experiment.

Mostly I agree, but...

I recently re-watched most of the crazy KC MNF game. Ebu was a monster. TWO touchdowns, AND pressuring the QB on the game-clinching INT?

Ebu was pretty average all season, but against KC... wow.