Martz miffed by Hall snub of Rams WRs/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Martz miffed by Hall snub of Rams WRs

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d0d21752-3c9f-529d-8469-5467df90065b.html

In less than a week, the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s selection committee will gather in San Francisco to elect the Class of 2016.

Among the 15 modern-era finalists are wide receivers Marvin Harrison and Terrell Owens. For the life of him, former Rams coach Mike Martz doesn’t understand why Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt aren’t in the discussion.

For the second year in a row, Bruce and Holt failed to reach the finals in the Hall of Fame voting. All the more disconcerting to Martz is the fact that Owens leapfrogged Bruce and Holt into the finals in this, Owens’ first year of eligibility.

“‘Surprised’ isn’t the word,” Martz said. “You can’t print how I felt when T.O. leapfrogged those two. That’s just plain out-and-out ridiculous.”

In contrast to Owens’ often controversial career, the Rams didn’t really have any divas, showboats, or “me” players during the brief but dazzling Greatest Show on Turf period. From Kurt Warner, to Orlando Pace, to Bruce and Holt — even Marshall Faulk — the Rams just went about their business under Dick Vermeil, and then Martz, as head coach.

“Had they promoted themselves, which was contrary to everything we were about, they’d probably get in without an issue,” Martz said. “Had they pulled a T.O., they’re probably in without an issue. That’s just not who we were.

“If they big-timed it and did all that dumb stuff, they’d get in probably earlier. I think they’ll eventually get in. I don’t think that’s an issue, but it’s tragic that people think of them like that. If Marvin Harrison gets in, how could they not get in?”

One of the problems with the biggest stars of the Greatest Show is that they all retired at the same time, which meant they all became Hall-eligible at the same time. Warner, Pace, Bruce and Holt all became eligible for the first time a year ago.

And there’s simply no way four members of the same team are going in during the same year. (A maximum of five modern-era players can be elected each year.)

So if Pace and Warner get in soon, that probably helps clear the decks for Bruce and Holt to a degree. Pace and Warner are both finalists for the second year in a row. It will be surprising if Pace doesn’t get in this year; then again, it was surprising that he didn’t get in last year. The first-time eligibility of Brett Favre this year may make it tough for Warner to make the Class of 2016.

There’s no doubt that Bruce and Holt have Hall of Fame credentials. For starters, both caught touchdown passes in the Rams’ Super Bowl XXXIV triumph over Tennessee, with Bruce’s being the game-winner.

“You kinda start with that,” Martz said “Look at their production. More importantly, look at their yards per catch. And then look at it consistently over a long period of time — it’ll compare to anybody. In some cases, nobody comes close. I mean nobody’s even come close to what Torry did.”

Holt’s six consecutive seasons of 1,300-plus receiving yards from 2000 through 2005 is a league record. Knee issues helped limit his career to 11 seasons, but he had more yards in his first nine seasons (11,864) than anyone in league history. That’s right, more than even Jerry Rice.

As for Bruce, he ended his career second on the NFL’s all-time list in reception yards (15,208) and fifth in receptions (1,024). He still ranks fourth and ninth, respectively, in those categories six years later in what increasingly has become a pass-happy league.

One of the apparent knocks against Bruce is that he was a product of the Martz system and benefited from the talented players around him.

That’s a faulty line of reasoning early in his career because he had 119 catches for 1,781 yards in 1995, and 84 catches for 1,338 yards in ’96 — long before the Greatest Show on Turf cast was assembled.

In 1995, for example, the team’s No. 2 receiver in terms of receptions and yards, tight end Troy Drayton, had only 47 catches for 458 yards. The running game was weak that year as well. Even though Jerome Bettis would be a future Hall of Famer at running back, he got in coach Rich Brooks’ doghouse with a contract holdout, then suffered a nagging foot injury, and finished with only 637 yards rushing — the second-lowest total of his 13-year NFL career.

So Bruce was literally the only player opposing defenses had to worry about in those years, and still was virtually unstoppable. Later in his career — when Holt, Faulk, and Warner were around — Bruce’s opportunities were actually limited to a degree because of the great cast around him.

“People say, ‘well it was the system,’” Martz said. “It wasn’t the system. The system worked against him because we had other receivers, plus the running back, and the tight end that were catching passes.

“So it wasn’t like (Bruce and Holt) were targeted more than anybody else. We targeted everybody. We spread it around. They were able to get these numbers, in spite of not being targeted as much as so many other receivers were in the league. And then both of them in big games just showed up big.”

Bruce started his career five years ahead of Holt, in 1994 with the Los Angeles Rams. But starting in 1999, Holt’s rookie year and the Rams’ Super Bowl championship season, they were paired together for nine seasons in St. Louis.

For the first three or four years they played together, Martz said defenses rolled their coverage to Bruce.

“They doubled Isaac all the time,” Martz said. “They went 2-on-1 on Isaac all the time. And he still had the numbers.”

But not enough to reach Hall of Fame finalist status so far.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice job Mad Mike in calling a spade a spade. TO jumping Ike demonstrates the "voters" for the hall are just as ignorant as the fans who vote for the Pro Bowl. Name recognition should be weeded out when it comes to the Hall of Fame.

Nice to see someone come out and call it what it is.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I refused to watch the hof ceremony last season. How Kurt and the big o didn't make 1st ballot hof made me sick in my stomach.

Now they have owens ahead of Bruce and holt. Please.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im the biggest holt and Bruce fan but T.O should be in before them.

I don't think so. Bruce and Holt have similar careers and numbers. Both Rams caught TD's in super Bowls that won the game. Throw in the fact that Bruce and Holt were role models and it's not even close. TO embarrassed the NFL on several occasions. TO was a heck of a receiver. But no better than Bruce or Holt. JMHO

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“‘Surprised’ isn’t the word,” Martz said. “You can’t print how I felt when T.O. leapfrogged those two. That’s just plain out-and-out ridiculous.”
If Marvin Harrison gets in, how could they not get in?”
This pretty much covers it!! I might just add that there was a time in BRUCE's career that he was keeping pace or ahead of the Great Jerry Rice in all the stats that count!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Owens imo while a prick was better than our boys but Holt and Bruce both deserve it a lot more than Harrison.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I was completely blown away by Owens even being in the conversation this early. The guy was a cancer everywhere he went - and he moved around a lot. Good thing the voters are going to reward that crap. And who did Bruce have throwing to him his first three years in the league?

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
T.O is deserving, but not in his first year before Isaac and Torry.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Torry Holt dominated the decade of the 2000s and it wasn't even close.... that he's not a finalist (along with Bruce) is a travesty. I hope Kurt and Orlando get in this year. Would be a fun summer trip up to Canton.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All of their receiving numbers are eerily similar except for TD's. TO has many more touchdowns then either Bruce or Holt. Anyone know why? And, BTW, I totally agree with Martz.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Mad Mike is preaching The Truth!!!

T.O. may be deserving too, but not as a first ballot HOFer. That clown act should be enough for him to have to wait several years before induction.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
T.O is like 2nd in yards
And Bruce is 4th. I believe Bruce should be before TO but TO was loud. It's a real shame.

I don't think Holt should go in before TO though. That's fair imo.

WvuIN02

Starter
Martz sounds like a complete homer in this case and this is an idiotic thing for him to be whining about.

TO's numbers are insane for his career and that;s what the Hall of Fame is about, I dont give a rats ass if he took a giant dump on the Dallas star or grabbed a bag of popcorn after a touchdown and neither should the voters.

TO had 153 touchdowns in his career, Bruce (91) + Holt (74) barely add up to more at 165...... TO is 2nd in yards behind Rice, Bruce is 4th, Holt is 14th. Receptions Owens is 6th, Bruce is 9th, Holt is 19th.

The HoF should be about your career on the field, and its not like he murdered people or something.....Pete Rose was one thing, but sorry Mike you're dead wrong and need to be quiet. Bruce will get his due and so will Holt but no way in hell should either be ahead of Owens.