Broncos release punter Marquette King

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, show Aaron Donald the MONEY in a 8 year deal. I can't believe some of you guys...
99kSpW5.png

I absolutely want AD to get paid.

And at the same time, it's reasonable to realize that there are limits.

Is he worth $20M? $30M? $50M?

With Mack saying NO to $20M/yr, I dunno where the limit is.

That's all I'm saying. If we don't identify the limit, we could really be at a disadvantage.

Of course, AD needs to get paid.

I'll just leave it to Snead and Demoff.

Once the season starts, I'll root for whoever they have out there and leave the cap to them.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Think you have me confused with someone else.

I've not approached any of this in any way that warrants that kind of response.

I dunno why the Raiders waived King. All I said is maybe they need the cap. I honestly don't know.

I don't have any dogma surrounding contracts.

I've posited that the NFL could learn from the NFL and institute max contracts. That has helped both the superstars AND the mid-level players. I totally understand if folks disagree.

So, honestly, I dunno who that response was for.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Think you have me confused with someone else.

I've not approached any of this in any way that warrants that kind of response.

I dunno why the Raiders waived King. All I said is maybe they need the cap. I honestly don't know.

I don't have any dogma surrounding contracts.

I've posited that the NFL could learn from the NFL and institute max contracts. That has helped both the superstars AND the mid-level players. I totally understand if folks disagree.

So, honestly, I dunno who that response was for.

It's eventually going to happen . It's the only sport that has 53 paid players.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It's eventually going to happen . It's the only sport that has 53 paid players.

Remember when it was the rookie deals that wrecked teams?

Now it's QB salaries. How much discussion has gone to teams considering QBs on the rookie contracts as their "window to win"...because it frees up more than 10% of the cap for other purposes.

And you have players who realize what a team game it is, so when they're transcendent talents, they want to be paid better than a mediocre QB.

I can see that. LeVeon Bell or Blake Bortles??? OBJ or Case Keenum???

I don't have any answers, but I do know that these questions are going to be addressed at some point. Probably not for awhile.

Then again after 2020, if the league hasn't worked out a better ad revenue model, then the networks are going to offer less due to decreased ad revenues which means... lower cap.

Which will change the dynamics of how the cap is managed and QBs on their current contracts will be seen as the next version of Sam Bradford (contractually).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too funny

If the above comments from Raider Nation are any indication it’s seems like good riddance

I’d agree with them, showboating like that clown has consequences (among other things

I like the “message”

I think it's a dumb message, and I'm glad the Rams aren't doing silly things like that.

They may really need part of that $3.5M.

I'm sure they didn't expect Mack to decline $20M/yr

Honestly, I have an issue with that. I don't think ANY player, AD included is worth that much.

The CBA needs to include a max contract.

And...once again, it's issues at the top that will dominate the CBA at the expense of every other player in the game...

The free market will solve that problem. We don't need max contracts.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Much like place kickers punters have become much more proficient over the years. They aren't hard to find and their skill set is not unique.

23 teams averaged 40 yards net on their punts last year and almost everyone has a good Inside the 20 to touchback ratio. Time comes when the Rams decide they want to go cheaper at punter (and they will) our special teams won't go off a cliff.

As AD goes, I'd only be against paying him if I thought those QB hits, hurries, sacks, TFLs and drawn double teams were replaceable for less $. I don't think that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If it’s truly a money issue I would certainly prefer Donald and a JAG punter vs Hekker and a JAG DE/DT
But it seems that really isn’t it

jap

Legend
Johnny Hekker: "Marquette? He's a good punter. I mean, he's not me!, but then, who is!?!"

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gruden won't need a punter, going to go for it on every 4th down.

Ram65

Legend
23 teams averaged 40 yards net on their punts last year and almost everyone has a good Inside the 20 to touchback ratio. Time comes when the Rams decide they want to go cheaper at punter (and they will) our special teams won't go off a cliff.

King/Raiders were 3rd in net average at 44.4 right behind the Rams 45.6 and Titans 45.9.

Giants are last at 38.6. That's almost 6 yards less that Raiders and 7 from the leaders. They were also the least inside the 20 @ 19 while having 9 touchbacks. There are a lot of yards the Giant lost with poor punting.

Hard to tell about timing of good kicks which is important. For instants J Hekker has hanged field position many times at important times in games. Touchbacks cost yard while pinning teams next to their goalline can hurt their play calling and scoring. I have wondered for a few years about a formula for punters that would give a better indication of their kicks that include where the opposing teams starts from after a punt. There are those 20 yards from touchbacks and inside the 20 yardage that aren't really accounted for.

How much is a elite or near elite punter worth?

I suppose Gruden an find a good punter as a later round pick or UDFA and pay him around $500,000. I'm glad the Rams spend the money to keep Hekker. I think he is worth the 3.6 Million+ a year. Teams don't get easy FGs and have to have a longer drive to get into scoring position when punters flip the field.

upload_2018-3-31_9-59-38.png

Ram65

Legend
Well, if we could cut Hekker...and give King half the amount.....:thinking:

Cap hit is too high 3.13 Million.

Interesting to see where King ends up and for how much. Giants can use him. I think he wouldn't fit their culture change. Some team will get a very good punter.