Broncos release punter Marquette King

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
King/Raiders were 3rd in net average at 44.4 right behind the Rams 45.6 and Titans 45.9.

What could make them even consider this? There has to be more to the story.

Al Davis would probably have drafted a punter in the first round, if his name was Ray Guy....Bowl Cut isn't a chip off the old block!

Davis drafted a kicker in the first round, Janikowski.

The Raiders let him go this offseason.

Maybe Chuckie is going to go for it on every fourth down and always go for two.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
What could make them even consider this? There has to be more to the story.

Davis drafted a kicker in the first round, Janikowski.

The Raiders let him go this offseason.

Maybe Chuckie is going to go for it on every fourth down and always go for two.
If they scored touchdowns he'd still need someone for kickoffs. Maybe he doesn't plan on scoring at all?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-marquette-kings-personality-not-his-punting/

Jon Gruden reportedly disliked Marquette King’s personality, not his punting
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 1, 2018

gettyimages-636340382-e1522605987217.jpg

Getty Images

The Raiders cut punter Marquette King last week, and that came as a surprise. King is a solid punter who had a career-best 42.7-yard net average last season, and he still had three years left on his contract.

But new Raiders coach Jon Gruden apparently didn’t like King.

Veteran Raiders reporters Bill Williamson and Vic Tafur both reported that Gruden was the one who made the call to send King packing, and that Gruden had personality issues with King.

What exactly those personality issues were is unclear, but King also drew the ire of former Raiders coach Jack Del Rio, who said in 2016 that he was growing tired of King’s antics after King picked up 15-yard personal foul penalties in back-to-back games.

Cutting King knocks $2.9 million off the Raiders’ salary cap, and whoever the Raiders eventually sign to replace him will surely cost less than that. So there’s a financial reason to get rid of King. But the biggest reason may be about a personality clash.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
We won't need this punter but it will be interesting to see which team signs him and in which round.
************************************************************************************
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-michael-dickson-punter-extraordinaire

More than just a punter, Michael Dickson could be a real weapon for any team
BY GORDON MCGUINNESS

USATSI_10501497-copy.jpg

Texas Longhorns punter Michael Dickson/ Credit: Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

Field position is huge in the NFL, and as much as it is important to be able to move the ball on offense, having a punter who can steal you an extra five yards between drives by pinning the returner to the sideline can be the difference between a successful and unsuccessful drive for any opponent. Coincidentally, that could also help the defense get the ball back for the offense in better field position.

It’s one of the things that doesn’t get discussed much, but having a better punter than your opponent can be a big factor in winning any game that turns into a field position battle.

The gulf between the top punters in the NFL and those who don’t quite make the grade is stark, so there are plenty of teams who could be in the market to add some youth at the position this year. It just so happens that former Texas punter Michael Dickson produced not only the highest grade at the position in 2017, but the highest grade we’ve ever given to a punter in four seasons of college football grading.

17OS3-Michael-Dickson-1024x576.jpg

Dickson led the nation in a number of categories in 2017, including an average of 44.2 net yards per punt, a full 1.6 yards higher than Texas A&M’s Shane Tripucka in second place among all punters to play in at least 10 games this past season. His 47.5 yards per punt also ranked at the top, while his 42 punts inside the 20-yard line were five more than any other punter this season.

Dickson was also named as the Texas Bowl MVP after an 11-punt game in which he knocked a massive 10 punts inside the opponent’s 20-yard line. A performance reminiscent of Graham Gano’s MVP winning performance as both a kicker and a punter in the Champ’s Sports Bowl victory in 2008 for Florida State over Wisconsin.

Where Dickson really separates himself though is in his PFF grade, and his 2017 performance was a new record for our college grading, by a considerable margin. Special teams in college are much more primitive than in the NFL and we often see players with great raw tools massively improving grade wise with NFL coaching.

That is great news for the team that drafts Dickson, or brings him in as an undrafted free agent, because his base level is far higher than anyone to come along in the past four years – he’s basically the Aaron Donald of college punters.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_Gordon/status/979399346105061377?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.profootballfocus.com%2Fnews%2Fdraft-michael-dickson-punter-extraordinaire

So which teams could be candidates to draft Dickson during the NFL Draft later this month? Here’s three that make a lot of sense:

Philadelphia Eagles

Donnie Jones retired after winning the Super Bowl with the Eagles in February and while it was great for him to go out on top, it leaves the Eagles with a hole to fill at the position. Jones was tied for 13th among punters in the NFL with a 41.2 net yard average in 2017, but he was tied for just 26th with 23 punts inside the 20-yard line.

Chicago Bears

The Bears recently re-signed Pat O’ Donnell, but it was just to a one-year deal, so there isn’t much to keep them from drafting a potential replacement, especially after O’Donnell ranked tied for just 25thin the NFL with a 39.7 net yard average.

Oakland Raiders

The Raiders cut Marquette King last week, saving $3 million in cap room but leaving them with a huge hole on special teams as King the third-highest graded punter in the NFL in 2017. He ranked fourth in net yardage, averaging 42.7 net yards per punt. With a top-five punter leaving, could they draft the nation’s top punter to replace him?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When I'm having a crap day, I just put this on. Just a beautiful moment. The day I got married, the birth of my kids and this.

Do you remember when got SMASHED right After That ? He was running away like biggest wussy ever.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You got to like Jonnhy’s Leadership.

Greg The Leg is my biggest concern right now . The injury scares me.
Actually...you are correct. Johnny is different. After a loss, I saw players shaking hands with the enemy...I saw several Rams smile...shake hands...like good game....I watched Johnny walk directly to the tunnel...not stopping to speak with any Cards players....I respected that...probably only a few others did this...and...gotta love his tweets. But realistically, I think we could survive the loss of Hekker, if he was replaced with King. Remember what I said about special teams a couple months ago.

Greg is more valuable...he's points. I doubt his injury is serious...and I'm sure they'll be some fierce competition at camp should he be less than 100%. Can you imagine the points an accurate PK could accumulate with this offense?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Actually...you are correct. Johnny is different. After a loss, I saw players shaking hands with the enemy...I saw several Rams smile...shake hands...like good game....I watched Johnny walk directly to the tunnel...not stopping to speak with any Cards players....I respected that...probably only a few others did this...and...gotta love his tweets. But realistically, I think we could survive the loss of Hekker, if he was replaced with King. Remember what I said about special teams a couple months ago.

Greg is more valuable...he's points. I doubt his injury is serious...and I'm sure they'll be some fierce competition at camp should he be less than 100%. Can you imagine the points an accurate PK could accumulate with this offense?
Greg the Leg was on pace to shatter records.

The offense right now is not as impressive without Watkins, but with the defense they should get more possessions .

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/05/broncos-sign-marquette-king-to-three-year-deal/

Broncos sign Marquette King to three-year deal
Posted by Charean Williams on April 5, 2018

gettyimages-501264982-e1522922149107.jpg

Getty Images

Well, that didn’t take long.

Shortly after reports surfaced that Marquette King was in Denver, the former Raiders punter agreed to a three-year deal with the Broncos.

The Raiders cut King last week, reportedly because new coach Jon Gruden had personality issues with King.

King, 29, spent five full seasons in Oakland. He has a career average of 46.8 yards per punt and a net average of 40.8. He is the only player in NFL history with at least a 40-yard net average in each of his first five seasons.

Last season, King had a career-best 42.7-yard net average.

For his career, King has 156 punts inside the 20 and only 33 touchbacks.

Riley Dixon was the team’s punter the past two seasons, averaging 45.7 yards per punt.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-i-just-saw-him-on-car-commercials-and-stuff/

Marquette King on never meeting Jon Gruden: I just saw him on car commercials and stuff
Posted by Charean Williams on April 5, 2018

Marquette King denies his celebrations or his personality are reasons Oakland cut him. The punter said he never even met Jon Gruden.

“I just saw him on car commercials and stuff,” King said in a conference call with Denver writers, via quotes distributed by the team. “I get to see him two times a year [now].”

King joined the Broncos on Thursday, agreeing to a three-year deal worth up to $7 million. He chose Denver because it was the best fit, he said, but added, “There is somewhat of a revenge factor in there, too.”

King won’t wear No. 7 in Denver, obviously, and he will retire the bucking Bronco celebration.

“Now it’s time to find a new celebration, because that’s when I was trying to troll y’all,” he said.

King, 29, can’t wait to punt in Denver. He calls it a “punter’s paradise” because of the altitude, and then there’s the Broncos’ organization itself.

“The cool thing about the Broncos is the people that work at the Broncos encourage you to be yourself,” King said. “That is real cool. Players play a lot better when they can let their hair down and be themselves. It’s cool. They encourage it. But no, I don’t think that’s what the reason was [for his departure from Oakland]. Everybody has their own way of doing things. Maybe that is how they felt they wanted to do things. More power to them.”

He will continue celebrating, though he vows the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are a thing of the past.

“I’m still going to have fun,” King said. “I’m still going to dance and still celebrate. I’m going to be me. Nothing is going to stop me from being me. The flags—I got three flags two years ago and one flag last year—it’s in the past. I’m just looking forward to doing my thing and making sure I’m working on my composure and doing the right things to making sure the team is in the best situation possible.”

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.9news.com/article/sports/broncos-boot-marquette-king-sign-colby-wadman/73-601566253

Broncos boot Marquette King, sign Colby Wadman
Author: Mike Klis

JERSEY CITY, N.Y. – There will be no part II for Marquette King, at least not as a member of the Denver Broncos.

The punter was placed on injured reserve Saturday with the team telling King he will be released as soon as he’s healthy. The Broncos made their expected corresponding move official Saturday by promoting punter Colby Wadman from their practice squad.

Wadman will punt in his first NFL game Sunday against the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

King missed the past week of practice with a groin injury, but lack of performance is the reason the team is letting him go. Broncos head coach Vance Joseph and special teams coordinator Tom McMahon said this week they didn’t believe King’s performance was due to the injury.

King’s agent Wynn Silberman has a different take as he’s sending his client to get checked out by Dr. Kalle Stidham in San Jose on Monday.

“The injury clearly developed in OTAs, but Marquette wanted to fight through it and help the team,’’ Silberman said. “He’s disappointed he couldn’t contribute more.’’

King boomed the ball in the first half of training camp, but he started struggling with consistency during the preseason and into the regular season.

After averaging 51.0 yards a punt against his former Oakland Raiders in week 2, King posted a video on social media that spoofed Jon Gruden, the Raiders’ coach who released him in March. The video included #part1 and a Chucky doll, which has become Gruden’s personal mascot of sorts over the years.

Part II presumably was to be posted after the Broncos played the Raiders on Christmas Eve night in Oakland, but King won’t be around. He punted miserably in the rain two weeks ago at Baltimore and two more poor punts Monday night against the Kansas City Chiefs, as became known King was particularly ineffective when rushed.

The Broncos signed King to a three-year, $6 million contract (with only this season and $2 million guaranteed) in early April and traded their punter of the previous two years, Riley Dixon, to the New York Giants in exchange for a 2019 seventh-round draft pick. The Broncos made the swap because they wanted more length on their punts when delivered from inside their 35-yard line or so.

But even with three of his four games in the rarified air of Broncos Stadium at Mile High, King ranked 22nd in the league with a 44.1-yard gross punting average (Dixon is 9th 47.8) and 20th with a 39.7-yard net (Dixon is 12th at 41.0).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We won't need this punter but it will be interesting to see which team signs him and in which round.

I'm guessing Belichick might go after that dude. He might want his own Hekker type field changer.

And back to King... Lot of folks were lighting Chuckie up for letting him go, but I think when a new Head Coach wants to set his tone on a team nobody is safe. Rams booted Jeff Fisher's boy Hayes right out of here when McVay rolled in, and Robert Quinn when he didn't fully buy in (IMO) to the defense the first season, so that type of thing happens all the time.