Mark Cuban: NFL 10 years away from an implosion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/23/mark-cuban-warns-nfl-hogs-risk-eventual-implosion/http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/23/mark-cuban-warns-nfl-hogs-risk-eventual-implosion/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/23/mark-cuban-warns-nfl-hogs-risk-eventual-implosion/
Mark Cuban warns NFL “hogs” risk eventual “implosion”

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 23, 2014

947ff2edcc4f02289df0732356ff3d75.jpeg

As NFL owners are gathering in Orlando to count their money and plan on how to make more, one of their NBA counterparts is firing a warning shot.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban told reporters tonight that the NFL is bordering on over-saturation of the market, with dire consequences.

“I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion,” Cuban said, via Tim McMahon of ESPNDallas.com. “I’m just telling you, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they’re getting hoggy. Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way.

“I’m just telling you, when you’ve got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That’s rule number one of business.”

Cuban was speaking specifically of the NFL’s expanded television package, which will put NFL games on CBS this fall on Thursdays, with the games being simulcast on the NFL Network.
“They’re trying to take over every night of TV,” Cuban said. “Initially, it’ll be, ‘Yeah, they’re the biggest-rating thing that there is.’ OK, Thursday, that’s great, regardless of whether it impacts [the NBA] during that period when we cross over. Then if it gets Saturday, now you’re impacting colleges. Now it’s on four days a week. …

“It’s all football. At some point, the people get sick of it.”

So far, there is no indication of that, as the league has shown its greatest ability is to make money. This week’s discussion of expanding the playoff field is another step toward expanding potential broadcast revenue.

And while there’s an element of sour grapes in Cuban’s comments, he’s also a smart enough businessman to make it worth considering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I agree with everything he said except for 10yrs - I think it will take longer. But then again, I've always thought Goodhell's purpose in life is to destroy the NFL.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
2 things.
Cuban is mad he doesn't have a team.

The second I think there is some validity in what he's saying. It will get like football is no big deal to the casual fan. Miss tonight's game then watch the one tomm. But what I really think will cause a implosion. is there is getting to be so many ways to watch a game and follow a team cheaply and from the comfort of a home that the crowds will fall of so dramatically that the NFL will have to rethink their product. For what it costs to go to one Rams game a guy can get a whole season of access from the NFL media products.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cuban is full of it. The NFL isn't going to go to Saturdays during the college season. There's an unspoken agreement with the NCAA. It'll hurt both of them if they do it. Thursday Night Football was already happening. This just makes it available to a wider audience. People love football. That won't change because of what night it is on.

And Yama, I disagree. The vast majority of football fans have favorite teams. So they will make sure they tune in to watch their team play. The idea that another game is on tomorrow has no bearing if it's not their team.

The Bus

UDFA
Name
Chad
who's Cuban?... never heard of ya bud...
and fuck the NBA.

RAMS on Demand nation. LETS GO!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Said by a guy whose league plays 80 regular season games

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Its not so much the over-saturation, but i can see the parallels to the NBA in regards to rule changes hell bent on trying to make it more exciting all in the name of safety. Then there's the fact that the referees have become far too involved,and the agenda's attached to certain teams and players who are allowed to play more physically than others. The NBA got rich and got ruined under David Stern IMO.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with everything he said except for 10yrs - I think it will take longer. But then again, I've always thought Goodhell's purpose in life is to destroy the NFL.

The NFL, the direction it's heading in, reminds me of when I was a boy and played Little League. My friends and I used to find a place to play on the weekends. We would get into fights, get bruises and cuts, tear up our clothes, etc. Then next weekend we'd be at it again. Then some of us joined up with a Little League team. Everything was organized to the hilt and the adults crushed all the joy out of the game. At least that was my experience.

Roger Goodell is well on his way to doing the same thing to the NFL. Yeah, we need rules and the concussion situation needs to be addressed to make the game safer. But do we really need the endless fines for uniform violations, celebrations on the field, and now there's talk of penalties for foul language? Cuban is right but for the wrong reason. As Mojo alluded to, it won't be over-saturation that does the NFL in, it will be over-regulation by Commissioner Buzzkill.

fearsomefour

Legend
If the NBA was smart it would eliminate about 6 teams.
If the NFL was smart it would not expand and would stay the hell out of England.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The only thing hurting the NFL is more and more people are staying home to watching their team on the tube. The economy plays a roll in that, but NFL Red Zone and High Definition TV's, etc, promote it. Not to mention its much cheaper just to stay home and watch the game. But even at that, the NFL is doing great and will continue to do so.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love football but I think they are diluting that special once a week feeling that made the games more rare and thus more valuable. I don't miss a Rams game but I used to watch two Sunday games and Monday night. Now there is so much of it that I just find myself watching bits and pieces of games here and there, other than the Rams. It just takes up too much precious time in the week to keep up with it all.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Cuban is full of it. The NFL isn't going to go to Saturdays during the college season. There's an unspoken agreement with the NCAA. It'll hurt both of them if they do it. Thursday Night Football was already happening. This just makes it available to a wider audience. People love football. That won't change because of what night it is on.

And Yama, I disagree. The vast majority of football fans have favorite teams. So they will make sure they tune in to watch their team play. The idea that another game is on tomorrow has no bearing if it's not their team.

Then how do you explain the gigantic ratings for Monday night and Thursday night games? People watch games that have nothing to do with their team because there are only so many games to watch and it's more of an event than one out of 164 in MLB or 82 in the NBA or however many they play in the NHL. People like you and I watch the games, that's just a fact. MNF is one of the highest rated shows ever and has been for decades.

As far as the NFL and NCAA having an unspoken deal about Saturdays and Sundays that is all true. Neither will infringe because that's a lose-lose situation and in the end both entities are about revenues.

Cuban is a kooky guy, and often runs his mouth when he shouldn't. The NFL will not be imploding in 10 years. Oddly just a couple of years ago he was busting his ass to get a team. Hmmmm.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Then how do you explain the gigantic ratings for Monday night and Thursday night games? People watch games that have nothing to do with their team because there are only so many games to watch and it's more of an event than one out of 164 in MLB or 82 in the NBA or however many they play in the NHL. People like you and I watch the games, that's just a fact. MNF is one of the highest rated shows ever and has been for decades.

As far as the NFL and NCAA having an unspoken deal about Saturdays and Sundays that is all true. Neither will infringe because that's a lose-lose situation and in the end both entities are about revenues.

Cuban is a kooky guy, and often runs his mouth when he shouldn't. The NFL will not be imploding in 10 years. Oddly just a couple of years ago he was busting his ass to get a team. Hmmmm.

Oh he'll come up with sumthin,the Pope Mandates it, Global Warming, dunno, but jrry usually has a basis for what he says,

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
BTW anyone wonder why Cuban said 10, not 8 or 15,but 10,counting on his fingers again?

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
It will get like football is no big deal to the casual fan. Miss tonight's game then watch the one tomm.
Exactly. There is such a thing as "saturation point" and the current NFL powers that be don't appear to know this.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Exactly. There is such a thing as "saturation point" and the current NFL powers that be don't appear to know this.

There would be a saturation point if they extending the games to a larger amount or number. But if they add a bye week and then another game during the week they will make more money because we will watch.

Monday and Thursday night games draw more eyeballs than Sunday games for the most part those are only broadcast locally or regionally. So the NFL could bid out Wednesday (an easy day to market.....hump day) to the networks and that's that.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

Now that's just not true, it's exactly why they don't expand more often.
Believe me these guys have market research that would make Coca Cola envious,and Yama's reference to what "casual fans" WILL do ,is why they are "casual fans" in the first place.
CAN THEY kill the goose? Sure, but the "goose" is quite healthy now and in 10 years only economic upheaval or poor quality on the field will endanger it.