Mark Barron learning to play linebacker...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Mark Barron learning to play linebacker after a season of on-the-job training

20576676-mmmain.jpg

An All-American safety for Alabama and a starter at strong safety for the first 37 games of his pro career after being the seventh player picked in the 2012 NFL Draft, Mark Barron stepped in as the St. Louis Rams' weakside linebacker in the fourth game of the 2015 season and went on to make 116 tackles.

Just think what he might do now that he's being coached as a linebacker.

Barron is working out of the Rams' linebackers room this offseason instead of continuing to prepare with the defensive backs, as he did last season.

"I'm in the process of learning some new things because last year they just kind of threw me in there and I was just playing based off mostly instincts," Barron said. "This year, as of right now, I'm in the process of actually learning some of the intricacies of linebacker, because before most of everything I learned has been from a safety standpoint. Now I'm just learning from a different standpoint."

In a video interview with Rams Reporter Dani Klupenger for the team's official web site, Barron couldn't quite bring himself to say he's a linebacker, though.

"Some people will probably call it linebacker; some people will call it hybrid; some people will still be saying safety," Barron said. "It'll probably be a mixture of all of them."

A special-teamer and third safety for the Rams when he entered the starting lineup last season, Barron got his chance to play full-time because Alec Ogletree broke his leg. Ogletree is back for this season, but he will play middle linebacker. The Rams released James Laurinaitis, their middle linebacker for the previous seven seasons, and he's now on the New Orleans Saints.

Barron had a chance to leave the Rams, too. Instead, he stayed with the team for its move to Los Angeles.

In 2014, the Rams could have picked up the fifth-year option on Barron's rookie contract, which would have paid him $8.263 million for the 2016 season. They declined to do so.

After Barron's standout 2015 campaign, the Rams signed him to a five-year, $45 million contract that included a $5 million signing bonus and $20 million in guaranteed money.

Barron signed with the Rams on March 9, a few hours before he would have become a free agent.

"It was just a lot of variables that made this the best situation for me," the former St. Paul's standout said. "I was already comfortable with the coaching staff. I love everybody on the coaching staff. I love my teammates. I like playing with everybody. And then moving forward, just the opportunity we have as a defense. What kind of team we can be as a defense, it was exciting to me. And, of course, the other parts of it. Everything was just in place, and I felt like it was the right situation for me."

The Rams will practice through Thursday this week in Oxnard, Calif. After Thursday, the Rams will be off until their first training camp practice on July 30 at UC Irvine.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
An All-American safety for Alabama and a starter at strong safety for the first 37 games of his pro career after being the seventh player picked in the 2012 NFL Draft, Mark Barron stepped in as the St. Louis Rams' weakside linebacker in the fourth game of the 2015 season and went on to make 116 tackles.
I think Barron is going to be Great at LB!! But This is not accurate! According to Pro-Football-Reference.com. He came in in 2014. He's going into his 3rd season with the Rams. He's played in 25 games, he's had 6 Passes Defended/ 3 FF's/and 4 sacks with a total of 136 Tackles and Assists!(y):D

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Barron is going to be Great at LB!! But This is not accurate! According to Pro-Football-Reference.com. He came in in 2014. He's going into his 3rd season with the Rams. He's played in 25 games, he's had 6 Passes Defended/ 3 FF's/and 4 sacks with a total of 136 Tackles and Assists!(y):D

He was drafted in 2012 by TB came to the Rams in 2014. I think you're right though. He should make for an excellent LBer.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
You don't need to learn much when you have instincts like Barron.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Another great advantage is due to Barron having played mostly as a safety his skills should allow him to cover a TE or RB they throw his way. If you notice, other teams are following GW's scheme of playing a strong safety at weak side linebacker. I think even some of the bigger safeties drafted this year are being talked about as playing in a linebacker role.