Mario Williams waiting to be cut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Report: Mario Williams 'waiting to be cut'
3636.jpg

The Buffalo News' Tim Graham reports Mario Williams is "just waiting to be cut," and "the sooner the better for him."

ESPN's Josina Anderson reported on Wednesday that Williams was willing to accept a paycut, but he knows the score. Neither side seems to have any interest in remaining together for 2016. Williams isn't a fit, scheme or personality wise, with coach Rex Ryan. Now 31, Williams was highly ineffective last season.
Source: Tim Graham on Twitter
Feb 25 - 1:18 PM

Hes a better fit in a 4-3 defense and he would sure look damn good across from Quinn rushing the passer. I think this guy has got a few more good to great years in him in the right system and could be had for a reasonable price.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why was he ineffective? Was he dinged up, or did he just hate playing in Buffalo?

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mario Williams insists he's still the same player.

Williams' play fell off a cliff in 2015, as he notched just five sacks in 909 snaps. He blames Rex Ryan's scheme. Williams acknowledges he could be released, but says he'll be better than ever in 2016. "At the end of the day, if I'm not (in Buffalo), I'll show you that I'm better than what I've been before," Williams said. "Like, that's just a chip on my shoulder regardless of whether I am there or not, because given the opportunity I’ll get back to what I was." Williams turned 31 last month. Before 2015, he had notched at least 10.5 sacks in each of his three seasons in Buffalo. Not a scheme or personality fit with Ryan, Williams is guaranteed to be cut loose. The inevitable move will create $12.9 million in cap space.

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 9 - 5:40 PM

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Why was he ineffective? Was he dinged up, or did he just hate playing in Buffalo?
He was playing for another contract somewhere else. It's been reported on the radio here that he just didn't want to have a major injury. So yeah, he wanted out of Buffalo. Not a good fit for the 3-4 defense. I would sign him to a one year prove it deal. Reminds me of the Nick Fairley situation.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I could see giving him a shot. And there are a couple others too. Like DE Olivier Vernon of the Dolphins or DE Malik Jackson of the Bronco's, Both are FA's!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I much prefer we prepare our cap funds $$$$ for extension contracts of Rams younsters DL'er Micheal Brockers & a future DL'er Aaron Donald, in addition the securing of youngsters Lb'ers Mark Barron & an extension of Alec Ogletree. You need to sign young DB's Rod McLeod, Jenkins & Johnson & add in the extension of SS TJ McDonald!

Rams just let two 31 yr old DE's & one 30 yr old DE depart why would we dump funds that prevent us from bring back our own talented much younger Ram defenders in a older used up soon to be 32 yr old DE? Please don't throw out that he may want to sign to play for the Rams for pennies stuff.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He clashed with the new regime right out the gate when they had him dropping into coverage. He was not comfortable doing that, but Ryan's staff wanted to run their stuff so it all snowballed from there.

This is a very, very good DT that some team might manage to buy low on. He'd be disgusting, just downright sickening, on our DL...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I more interested to see what Ethan Westbrooks can do

They say we are building through the draft but I've say we've done it more through undrafted free agents

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Malik Jackson is looking to be PAID. I wouldn't look to him because no way he's affordable.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
If you could grab only one, which one?
William Hayes, Mario Williams, JPP or Olivier Vernon. All excluding Vernon should be cap friendly and bring some noise to the Dline.

Ram65

Legend
I sign him for 2-3 years. He can be the man when motivated. Give him money incentives, He fits the Rams defense. Yes! Yes! Yes!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I sign him for 2-3 years. He can be the man when motivated. Give him money incentives, He fits the Rams defense. Yes! Yes! Yes!

I doubt if he is going to have to sign an incetive laden deal, last year he was not the same but it was the scheme according to him and the writer. Before that he was still kicking ass. He's going to get a nice contract.

Ram65

Legend
I doubt if he is going to have to sign an incetive laden deal, last year he was not the same but it was the scheme according to him and the writer. Before that he was still kicking ass. He's going to get a nice contract.

Not a total incentive deal. Just extra money to make pro bowl, sacks, games played etc....

Posters are writing show me deals...He is past that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams drop their DEs back in coverage from time to time. Would Williams have a problem with that?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The Rams drop their DEs back in coverage from time to time. Would Williams have a problem with that?
So true! Though rare enough and he rotates his line so much I doubt it would be a problem. Williams really can mix things up. Honestly I can't remember the result on those plays but I did think it was neat.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Malik Jackson is looking to be PAID. I wouldn't look to him because no way he's affordable.

I think Malik Jackson played DE in the Broncos 3-4 scheme. A DE in a 3-4 would be closer to a DT in a 4-3 system. They usually spend more time occupying blockers while the OLBer's set the edge.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yet another reason I wouldn't look at Malik Jackson