Marcus Spears's Top Pass-Rush duos: No.1 Montez Sweat & Chase Young

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Marcus Spears's Top Pass-Rush duos: No.1 Montez Sweat & Chase Young​

Yes Spears is a genius.. his number one pass rushing duo combined for 16.5 sacks
meanwhile AD and Floyd combine for 24 and added 4 more in the playoffs ranked number 4 in Spears Rankings.
Spears reasoning is that all of Floyds stats were directly due to AD.

If I'm not mistaken none of the pass rushers listed ahead of rams had double digit sacks as both AD and Floyd did.
and the 32 year old Von Miller hasn't played since 2019 and had 8 sacks that year.

I think Spears has earned the Rod stamp of approval and he is the honoree

1624320467404.png

Cued at 3:01

View: https://youtu.be/uvkwRp7feoE?t=181

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'll give him the first set. But the 2nd and 3rd, no. Barrett and JPP are pretty good but I don't think I'd put them ahead of AD and Floyd. Nobody comes close to ADs impact each year.
Chubb and Miller ahead of AD and Floyd? Has this guy ever watched AD terrorize an Oline?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If the metric is pressures and flushing QBs I like our guys. But yeah that's hard to argue if you're talking sacks. AD being an inside guy gets crazy pressure totals which also really impact QBs (versus edge where they can step up sometimes) so hopefully while the other groups are winning sack totals our guys will be winning Super Bowl hardware. :biggrin:

oldnotdead

Legend
These so-called pundits are idiots. Spears having played the game should know better. Floyd's numbers aren't as gaudy as some others but it's because he's not simply a one-dimensional player. Floyd is exactly what I expected him to be, i.e. a complete OLB/JACK as he can set a hard edge, drop into coverage as well as rush the passer.

JJ Watt shouldn't even be on that list. Watt is clearly on the downside of his career as he's only posted double-digit sacks once in the last 6 years. His injury history over the past 6 years is clear evidence of his decline. Right now Justin Hollins is a bigger pass rush threat than Watt. That shows you how nonsensical his ranking is.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Haha, Spears.

He's the epitome of how espn has scraped the bottom of the barrel for their "analysts" for a while now.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Hi These so-called pundits are idiots. Spears having played the game should know better.
Completely agree.

In my opinion, the majority of the Known-former players and coaches that move into the studios as commentators and analysts, just don’t put in the work.

There’s a lack of depth and substance in their commentary that reflects laziness in their work. They are simply living off their name, reputation and/or personality.

It’s obvious to fans of specific teams who naturally focus on that team. However, if you think about it, if Marcus Spears does not know the Rams (he doesn’t), then he also probably does not know much about 25 or more of the other teams; and his commentary about them is equally useless.

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame
Yeah, on field production, Donald/Floyd should be no 1 or 2.

Is he projecting for this season, then I might see some of that. Still, Miller and Chubb have been mostly theory rather than reality. They've barely played together the last two years. And where's TJ Watt and Stephon Tuitt? Those two put up huge numbers last year.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the metric is pressures and flushing QBs I like our guys. But yeah that's hard to argue if you're talking sacks. AD being an inside guy gets crazy pressure totals which also really impact QBs (versus edge where they can step up sometimes) so hopefully while the other groups are winning sack totals our guys will be winning Super Bowl hardware. :biggrin:
Our guys had more combined sacks then any other group he listed.
Pressures or sacks either way it's our guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our guys had more combined sacks then any other group he listed.
Pressures or sacks either way it's our guys.
Yeah I get that. But this is a discussion for 2021 right? I think it's arguable that Wash will kill it in sacks this year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I get that. But this is a discussion for 2021 right? I think it's arguable that Wash will kill it in sacks this year.

But everybody is saying how the Rams are gonna put up a ton of points this year.

So theoretically that means there will be way more sack opportunities for Rams rushers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll see. I don't really care about sacks tbh. I'm more a pressures guy. Consistent pressures are what win games, interrupting the QB's reads. Sack totals meanwhile tend to be higher for the teams that have great edges. We have AD, but our edge positions are running without a blindside. So again my hope is while Washington may be logging the most sacks we'll be winning hardware.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm guessing the defense will take a step back if you are only looking at stats. Chances are they will be on the field longer and in prevent mode more. I'm figuring our offense will be making a lot more chunk plays and scoring more. That tends to make a defense look worse on paper.