Marcus Peters says a new contract 'will take care of itself'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...says-a-new-contract-will-take-care-of-itself/

Marcus Peters, who's eligible for an extension, says a new contract 'will take care of itself'

Last offseason's all-in gambit from the Los Angeles Rams began with a trade for former Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters. Coming off a three-season run in Kansas City where he made two Pro Bowls and an All-Pro first team and led the league in interceptions, Peters was considered a high-level acquisition for the Rams defense.

The Rams followed up that move with trades for Aqib Talib and Brandin Cooks, and the signing of Ndamukong Suh, and ended the year by making a run to the Super Bowl. They ultimately fell short, but they're still considered among the small group of best teams in the NFL heading into 2019.

Peters, though, did not live up to lofty expectations. He was fantastic to start the year, but played through injury for much of the season and was far less effective than usual -- especially while Talib was on the sideline dealing with an injury of his own. Now heading into the fifth-year option season of his rookie-scale contract, Peters is extension-eligible, but does not yet have a new deal.

The cornerback professes that he's not worried about contract talks.

"I want to get to the Super Bowl and win it this time, that's what I want to break, really," Peters said, per the Associated Press. "All of the rest of the stuff will take care of itself."

The Rams are currently just south of $6.6 million under the cap, per Spotrac, though extending Peters could actually give them more room to operate because they could lower his Year 1 base salary and thus his cap hit. They currently have Cooks, Todd Gurley, Robert Woods, Rob Havenstein, Aaron Donald, and punter Johnny Hekker signed through at least 2021, but that's it. With new deals for Peters, Jared Goff, Cooper Kupp, and John Johnson III potentially on the horizon, there's a lot of maneuvering that will need to be done over the next few years to ensure their books remain in good shape. But again, Peters is not concentrating on that, he says.

"The only thing I can do is come in and do my job and be the best teammate I'm doing, be the best player I can be on the field, and the rest of the stuff will take care of itself," Peters said. "I'm not too worried about it."

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Ugh, hate that first sentence about the Rams’ supposed “all-in gambit.”The trade for Peters wasn’t an “all-in gambit,” it was just smart.

Assuming Peters leaves for a big FA contract, the parameters of the trade would be: Rams give up a 2nd and a 4th, and in return get a 3rd and a 6th, as well as the services of a high level corner for 2 years at a reduced rate.

Les is ahead of the curve in terms of anticipating future comp picks while making roster decisions.

TexasRam

Legend
There comes a point when you have to pick and choose "who gonna get paid".

For Peters to be one of those guys he has to show lights out play and be a model citizen and team guy.

Here is hoping for a come to Jesus moment for Peters.

anigif_sub-buzz-28515-1499949491-2.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah it's gonna take care of itself alright. With another team.

But the good thing here is he is in a contract season so we're gonna get his best.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
There comes a point when you have to pick and choose "who gonna get paid".

For Peters to be one of those guys he has to show lights out play and be a model citizen and team guy.

Here is hoping for a come to Jesus moment for Peters.

anigif_sub-buzz-28515-1499949491-2.gif
If he plays like he did the second half of the season, either the Rams or another team is going to pay him.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If he plays like he did the second half of the season, either the Rams or another team is going to pay him.
Or if he plays anything like his first 3 seasons or his first game with us.

People that have no faith in Peters as a player seem to have more of a personal problem with him than a football problem.

A lot of the problems in our back end were the result of an injured Peters playing with a massive decline from our FS and opposite Corner when Talib went down.

I would be surprised if Peters is healthy and doesn't have a much improved year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People that have no faith in Peters as a player seem to have more of a personal problem with him than a football problem.

A lot of the problems in our back end were the result of an injured Peters playing with a massive decline from our FS and opposite Corner when Talib went down.

Yeah so admittedly I don't like him. But that said at least I don't make excuses for the dude. Drawing parallels with our safety play is laughable IMO.

Peters' play last season was bad. He can't man up with success vs anyone good and will be replaced by younger dudes who can and who as a result better fit this defense.

He is not a fit as a player nor as a locker room member for a team whose slogan is We Not Me. The team can talk him up in the media all they want but I doubt they invest anything substantial in him.

Ram65

Legend
I'm not a fan of Peters the player. When covers close he gets too close and draws penalties and then complains. He got away with one or two in the Super Bowl. I don't think the Rams can afford him nor is he worth the money he will get some place else. Let's see what he does this year. It was a good trade when the Rams were really needing a corner back. I just don't see him as top ten or close to that.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah so admittedly I don't like him. But that said at least I don't make excuses for the dude. Drawing parallels with our safety play is laughable IMO.

Peters' play last season was bad. He can't man up with success vs anyone good and will be replaced by younger dudes who can and who as a result better fit this defense.

He is not a fit as a player nor as a locker room member for a team whose slogan is We Not Me. The team can talk him up in the media all they want but I doubt they invest anything substantial in him.

wth??

I was a big Joyner fan. Last season his play wasnt good. New team, new scheme and no Eric Berry to bail him out when he gambles... Peters isnt great and I am not attached to him... but you want to take it to calling my post "laughable".
Psshh then laugh and get over it.
I could have said more about Joyners play and how certain positions rely on each other and none of it would call for your bullshit about me making excuses. Football is a team sport and I was neither the first nor will I be the last to point out factors that could have lead to Peters drop off in performance, including the play of the free safety.
I didnt know you had a personal problem with Marcus Peters or me but now I have to wonder...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
wth??

I was a big Joyner fan. Last season his play wasnt good. New team, new scheme and no Eric Berry to bail him out when he gambles... Peters isnt great and I am not attached to him... but you want to take it to calling my post "laughable".
Psshh then laugh and get over it.
I could have said more about Joyners play and how certain positions rely on each other and none of it would call for your bullcrap about me making excuses. Football is a team sport and I was neither the first nor will I be the last to point out factors that could have lead to Peters drop off in performance, including the play of the free safety.
I didnt know you had a personal problem with Marcus Peters or me but now I have to wonder...

Since when does disagreeing on something mean I have a prob with you?

Re: safety yes Joyner was terrible and I was all over his nuts about it all season. But my point was that safety play does not excuse how poorly Peters performed.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Since when does disagreeing on something mean I have a prob with you?

Re: safety yes Joyner was terrible and I was all over his nuts about it all season. But my point was that safety play does not excuse how poorly Peters performed.

Disagree? Go ahead. Try to do it without being a jerk next time.

If you are going to call an opinion about a players performance (that in no way was criticizing you) "laughable", it should be because I was joking or at the least was way outside the box of normal discussion... but I wasn't.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree? Go ahead. Try to do it without being a jerk next time.

If you are going to call an opinion about a players performance (that in no way was criticizing you) "laughable", it should be because I was joking or at the least was way outside the box of normal discussion... but I wasn't.

How long have we been posting together on this board. And you're going to be insulted because of the word laughable? Really?

Ok we disagree. Not gonna clutter this board with more overreactions than it already has.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
How long have we been posting together on this board. And you're going to be insulted because of the word laughable? Really?

Ok we disagree. Not gonna clutter this board with more overreactions than it already has.

Great.
Good idea. Too bad you thought of it now before starting off that way.

Don't worry Merle, I still like ya.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not a fan of Peters the person, but if he's anything like he was in his first three seasons this season, I'll be happy. I'd let him go to another team for the easy third-round compensatory pick.