Manti Te'o Untold on Netflix

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Has anybody seen the Manti Te'o two-parter on Netflix yet?

Fascinating.

I could only remember the fake girlfriend bit and there was clearly so much more.

And not really being into the college game, I didn't quite realise how good he was at that level.

The guy comes out of it as an outstanding human being.

The twist at the end of part one was jaw-dropping.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTj-jHfhdzo

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I watched the first episode yesterday. I thought it was hilarious he fell for this when the story broke years ago, but after watching the first episode you'll learn that he was a great guy and that person who catfished him did some fucked up shit to him.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I tried to watch it. It seemed interesting and then I remembered that he sucked as a pro and i didn't care. Haha no. But for real...it was well done. I just wasn't interested

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
That was rough, he definitely carried that throughout his career in the nfl, I think he could have been so much better.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I tried to watch it. It seemed interesting and then I remembered that he sucked as a pro and i didn't care. Haha no. But for real...it was well done. I just wasn't interested
I know.....I don't hate the guy, but I also have nothing invested in him or his story. He wasn't a Ram and was just a funny story a few years back. I am sure many people that aren't rich and famous, suffered the same or worse.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Funny I watched both episodes yesterday and he does come out a great guy.

Hope nobody finds it offensive I don't mean anything bad by it but I do feel some people tread or tip toe around these issues and watching it actually made me angry at how it was all just kind of skirted around with kid gloves.

While I sympathize with all communities and I understand how some struggle and how some tend to live there lives or not live it's quite sad and my heart goes out to those and I wish they just had the strength to be who they are and to hell with everyone. We only get one life.

Now having said that I felt it tippy toed around just how vile what the cat fisher did was. Yes they explained it but I'm also aware we shouldn't put more hate on any communities but if you tell it you need to tell it right. Yes I get the struggles but Teo didn't have those struggles. Was he dumb yes or perhaps less harsh over trusting yes. Teo though should not have been a part of her struggles. Her catfishing cost him his career his mind his love of football almost his sanity. The documentary almost made them both out to be victims and while in different ways both are not here. From Teos perspective he had the world at his feet and it was taken from him because of someone else's cruelty and there struggles. If I'm an alcoholic and I hit someone with my car there are consequences now if I do it with intent the consequences are that much more harsh.

What she went through and most trans go through is painful I had a trans young man work for me at a deli I owned and it pained me to here his stories he was only 17. So I get it but in this case her struggles were used maliciously and while he was very forgiving there was no need for him to go through that. We can't make our problems or issues everyone else's. She intentionally decided him but the way and the actions taken were pretty cruel let alone the loss of everything he had worked so hard for. I just found it as per usual in today's society media they skirted around a lot of it like they were both victims and they weren't.

In general trans gay even race yes the struggles are real and they should be brought to light and we need to do better as a society. Each individual that goes through these struggles is sad but to do what she did was very vile. What would of happened had he done something like take his own life. A lesser person might have done just that. He felt he let down his family, he was ridiculed, he lost his draft position, he lost someone he thought he had feelings for, he lost millions, he was put on blast on TV as being a liar, his sexuality in doubt everywhere, and he lost football/his ability to play the game yet he pushed through. Basically in this case he is the victim and the hero and she is the villain. Without having a face to face discussion it's hard to address this but she I feel hurt her own community. Even when she knew what she was doing was vile she kept doing it.

This was truly sad I give Teo props for the person he is. I wasn't really buying her remorse. I felt like she almost felt entitled to do what she did and that's sad for the ones that really struggle and go through that change but go about it without ruining other people's lives. I hope everyone understands where this is coming from hope it was delivered properly. Human beings are flawed yes but for the most part you love them all doesn't matter sexual orientation race thin heavy man woman trans but regardless where you fall in those being different doesn't give you the right or a free pass to get away with doing bad things to others. I guess that's my point.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I know.....I don't hate the guy, but I also have nothing invested in him or his story. He wasn't a Ram and was just a funny story a few years back. I am sure many people that aren't rich and famous, suffered the same or worse.
Another young person learning important life lessons. That's all it is. And he's not a Ram so I could give a fuck.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Funny I watched both episodes yesterday and he does come out a great guy.

Hope nobody finds it offensive I don't mean anything bad by it but I do feel some people tread or tip toe around these issues and watching it actually made me angry at how it was all just kind of skirted around with kid gloves.

While I sympathize with all communities and I understand how some struggle and how some tend to live there lives or not live it's quite sad and my heart goes out to those and I wish they just had the strength to be who they are and to hell with everyone. We only get one life.

Now having said that I felt it tippy toed around just how vile what the cat fisher did was. Yes they explained it but I'm also aware we shouldn't put more hate on any communities but if you tell it you need to tell it right. Yes I get the struggles but Teo didn't have those struggles. Was he dumb yes or perhaps less harsh over trusting yes. Teo though should not have been a part of her struggles. Her catfishing cost him his career his mind his love of football almost his sanity. The documentary almost made them both out to be victims and while in different ways both are not here. From Teos perspective he had the world at his feet and it was taken from him because of someone else's cruelty and there struggles. If I'm an alcoholic and I hit someone with my car there are consequences now if I do it with intent the consequences are that much more harsh.

What she went through and most trans go through is painful I had a trans young man work for me at a deli I owned and it pained me to here his stories he was only 17. So I get it but in this case her struggles were used maliciously and while he was very forgiving there was no need for him to go through that. We can't make our problems or issues everyone else's. She intentionally decided him but the way and the actions taken were pretty cruel let alone the loss of everything he had worked so hard for. I just found it as per usual in today's society media they skirted around a lot of it like they were both victims and they weren't.

In general trans gay even race yes the struggles are real and they should be brought to light and we need to do better as a society. Each individual that goes through these struggles is sad but to do what she did was very vile. What would of happened had he done something like take his own life. A lesser person might have done just that. He felt he let down his family, he was ridiculed, he lost his draft position, he lost someone he thought he had feelings for, he lost millions, he was put on blast on TV as being a liar, his sexuality in doubt everywhere, and he lost football/his ability to play the game yet he pushed through. Basically in this case he is the victim and the hero and she is the villain. Without having a face to face discussion it's hard to address this but she I feel hurt her own community. Even when she knew what she was doing was vile she kept doing it.

This was truly sad I give Teo props for the person he is. I wasn't really buying her remorse. I felt like she almost felt entitled to do what she did and that's sad for the ones that really struggle and go through that change but go about it without ruining other people's lives. I hope everyone understands where this is coming from hope it was delivered properly. Human beings are flawed yes but for the most part you love them all doesn't matter sexual orientation race thin heavy man woman trans but regardless where you fall in those being different doesn't give you the right or a free pass to get away with doing bad things to others. I guess that's my point.
I agree 100%. I'm a bleeding heart liberal but it pissed me off the way she basically shrugged her shoulders.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I agree 100%. I'm a bleeding heart liberal but it pissed me off the way she basically shrugged her shoulders.

I wasn't even looking at it politically at all but more as just two people and wether they are Rams or not wasn't and doesn't have anything to do with it. It just has to do with how it was laid out (the documentary) and as understanding as I am to her plight the destruction of Teos entire work love passion and taking care of his family financial/future etc. was ruined by cruelty and her own issues. Your right it was a shrugging off as if she was entitled to inflict all that damage because of her own struggles. No matter where you fall on the spectrum label no label it's doesn't entitle you to hurt others again thats my point. That's the problem these days though.
I agree with what you said 100%. Im nothing I don't think I'm conservative or liberal but I just see fair is fair right is right wrong is wrong and while there are always in between the lines stuff we still know the difference or we at least should. Some of us anyway.

Last thing like if I posted this on Twitter it would be a 6 week barrage of a-holes claiming wrong shit without knowing you etc.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Watched yesterday. Hard not to feel bad for Manti. "Naya" can kick rocks though....

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think the intent of the documentary was to give both party's perspective and let the viewers form their own opinions. Quite refreshing in that regard. I wish we could get our news like that.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I think the intent of the documentary was to give both party's perspective and let the viewers form their own opinions. Quite refreshing in that regard. I wish we could get our news like that.

Yea that's not the perspective I'd want though if I was representing. She gets away with it because she happens to be trans gender so people that are the ones that hurt take there own lives or get bullied etc those are the perspectives we should be interested in. She just happens to be a transgender with a selfish evil person attached. It is a bad representation and I think for people that aren't open minded or filled with hate it actually creates more a more hate. I'm pretty damn opened minded and I thought the trans thing almost gets lost on the story by here deplorable actions ruing someone's entire life and she didn't seem to remorseful it was like whatever I am in a good place now. That's not the way things should be and she certainly would not be the one of pick to represent any group who is discriminated against.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
50f7632becad04755100000d

One of my favorite images ever, I always get a laugh.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yea that's not the perspective I'd want though if I was representing. She gets away with it because she happens to be trans gender so people that are the ones that hurt take there own lives or get bullied etc those are the perspectives we should be interested in. She just happens to be a transgender with a selfish evil person attached. It is a bad representation and I think for people that aren't open minded or filled with hate it actually creates more a more hate. I'm pretty damn opened minded and I thought the trans thing almost gets lost on the story by here deplorable actions ruing someone's entire life and she didn't seem to remorseful it was like whatever I am in a good place now. That's not the way things should be and she certainly would not be the one of pick to represent any group who is discriminated against.
the documentary didn't say she should get away with it. or that it was okay to do what she did. They also didn't give an opinion on Manti.

Just here is what Manti says is why he did what he did and here is what the catfisher says is why she did what she did. Nothing wrong with that. Besides if someone isn't open minded you will not change their mind. Not the documentary's problem.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
the documentary didn't say she should get away with it. or that it was okay to do what she did. They also didn't give an opinion on Manti.

Just here is what Manti says is why he did what he did and here is what the catfisher says is why she did what she did. Nothing wrong with that. Besides if someone isn't open minded you will not change their mind. Not the documentary's problem.

Thats very captain obvious. What I said was I'd be more pissed if I were part of the trans community.

I understand what you're saying and I think we both know the world isn't black and white. It's to much to get into but I think most get the gist of what I'm saying. Besides after watch most documentaries usually people have an opinion or a take like aliens or bigfoot etc. I hear you though loud and clear.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Very well made documentary.

one less obvious lesson came from the deadspin guys… intention isn’t control. No one else was about to break this story and they were in such a fucking rush to publish, that it never occurred to them that they could be ruining Manti Te’o‘s life or that they could be giving fuel to individuals with far different motives than theirs, which was to embarrass main stream media.

I found their abdication of their responsibility journalistically to be hollow. The entire point that they tried to make was that other journalistic outlets were being irresponsible and not adhering to their responsibilities. In the next breath they shrug off their own responsibilities as unintended consequences.

Its not that hard to find where the MSM has fucked up. Deadspin doesn’t come out of this looking good… at all.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just for perspective foes “open minded” equal willing to bend your standards? That’s what I think every time I read it. As if having your own opinions and moral standards is a bad thing.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Very well made documentary.

one less obvious lesson came from the deadspin guys… intention isn’t control. No one else was about to break this story and they were in such a fucking rush to publish, that it never occurred to them that they could be ruining Manti Te’o‘s life or that they could be giving fuel to individuals with far different motives than theirs, which was to embarrass main stream media.

I found their abdication of their responsibility journalistically to be hollow. The entire point that they tried to make was that other journalistic outlets were being irresponsible and not adhering to their responsibilities. In the next breath they shrug off their own responsibilities as unintended consequences.

Its not that hard to find where the MSM has fucked up. Deadspin doesn’t come out of this looking good… at all.

Yes another faction that wasn't called out in a story where the victim is squarely teo it's still all done on an even playing field. I understand they presented fact ls and made a documentary but deadspin should have been decimated and transgender or not so should she not like it was just a bad situation handled poorly. Yea not at all. This @Mackeyser is perfectly said as well. Had it been Tro attacking or bullying someone different how would it of been handled? If we are all people black white gay straight trans then we should all act as such and be treated as such. Someone that is trans for example cannot commit a murder and say it was because of the changes and how they felt. That does not cut it for me. We are all one that's the goal act like it.