Malcolm Brown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love the way Malcolm Brown runs...always downhill. After the first game, I think many of us felt that we really had a good one two punch. But I’m beginning to believe that Malcolm can’t stay healthy enough to eventually be a relied upon back in this league. Do any of you feel the same way?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It feels like Brown can be a powerful option in limited spots or a mediocre option with more carries.... might not be accurate, but that's how it seems

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I think Brown is a very good player but you can't make him a #1 back because he can't stay healthy. It's time to get Henderson ready.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I love the way Malcolm Brown runs...always downhill. After the first game, I think many of us felt that we really had a good one two punch. But I’m beginning to believe that Malcolm can’t stay healthy enough to eventually be a relied upon back in this league. Do any of you feel the same way?
Malcolm Brown is like a platoon player in baseball. In the right situation the guy shines, but you throw him out there all the time and he’ll have his struggles. I’m happy to have him as a backup though.

oldnotdead

Legend
As much as I like Brown I think the Rams will be drafting a RB next year. Brown is on a one year deal. He could be a bigger role player in many other teams. My fear is he would go to the Saints who are used to a two RB rotation. I simply don't see him being willing to continue his career here with the small role he has.

I can see the Rams taking a RB in the second or third round and having their rotation be Gurley, Henderson, and the rookie with Kelly being #4. I would expect it to be a bigger power RB for those short yardage pushes.

So this week is a big week for Henderson, who must show he's capable of being #2.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
As much as I like Brown I think the Rams will be drafting a RB next year. Brown is on a one year deal. He could be a bigger role player in many other teams. My fear is he would go to the Saints who are used to a two RB rotation. I simply don't see him being willing to continue his career here with the small role he has.

I can see the Rams taking a RB in the second or third round and having their rotation be Gurley, Henderson, and the rookie with Kelly being #4. I would expect it to be a bigger power RB for those short yardage pushes.

So this week is a big week for Henderson, who must show he's capable of being #2.
Didn’t Brown sign a 2 year deal?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Oct 2019 doubtful for Week 7 against the Falcons.

Dec 2, 2018NFLShoulder Clavicle FractureBrown underwent surgery on December 3.
Nov 5, 2017NFLKnee MCL Sprain Grade 2Coach Sean McVay called the injury a "high-grade sprain." Brown missed 4 games.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Some guys just can't stay healthy

oldnotdead

Legend
Didn’t Brown sign a 2 year deal?

Your right on paper is a two year deal, but in structure it's a one year deal, as all but $50K was front loaded. His 2020 salary would be slightly more than vet minimum for him. If they intended to keep him for the full 2 years it seems unlikely they would have front loaded the contract. IMO what this would seem to indicate that they will either renegotiate a new contract or release him to allow him to further his career. At 26 he really only has one more prime contract left so I doubt they would hold him back. It also gives them the ability to trade him at the end of the year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He reminds me of Chris Brown, the former titans rb, who looked great in spot duty to give Eddie George a breather but as soon as he had to carry the load he couldn't stay in the field.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Brown's a backup who can't be available when he's needed. I like his ability to run with some physicality in traffic but does it matter when two years in a row the dude isn't there when we need him?

I don't know what transpired between the Rams and CJ but it must have been bad. Because that dude basically reset our run game last season and helped us in the playoffs in the role Brown should have performed and at a higher level than Brown has ever performed at in this league. And they chose Brown.

That BS still doesn't wash with me. I like Hendy and all but he is a different type of back than this...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXdylPHn3n8

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

He reminds me of Chris Brown, the former titans rb, who looked great in spot duty to give Eddie George a breather but as soon as he had to carry the load he couldn't stay in the field.

Did you mean Chris Johnson? I looked back on their roster and saw no Chris Brown, but I may have missed it or maybe you were thinking of someone else?

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
If Brown is going to cost to much use Jon Kelly as the back-up. I watched this kid a lot at Tennessee and he runs with some power and has more speed than Brown, only question is pass protection.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If Brown is going to cost to much use Jon Kelly as the back-up. I watched this kid a lot at Tennessee and he runs with some power and has more speed than Brown, only question is pass protection.

With our crappy run blocking, I think Kelly could be a good option.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Not sure on Kelly, he's undersized and does not have top end speed, he runs hard, but not sure if he can get it done on game day and as you mentioned, he really struggles with pass protection.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I really like Henderson. He just needs some thunder change of pace in that room with him for when the OL needs short yards, redzone, clock killing, etc.

Rams played a really terrible pass defense today. Nothing's changed irt their need to get the run game fixed IMO. But I do like their chances of getting there with the current OL look.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your right on paper is a two year deal, but in structure it's a one year deal, as all but $50K was front loaded. His 2020 salary would be slightly more than vet minimum for him. If they intended to keep him for the full 2 years it seems unlikely they would have front loaded the contract. IMO what this would seem to indicate that they will either renegotiate a new contract or release him to allow him to further his career. At 26 he really only has one more prime contract left so I doubt they would hold him back. It also gives them the ability to trade him at the end of the year.

They didn't negotiate the contract. They matched it after it was negotiated.

While he is not always available, he is a quality player when he is available, and will be very cheap next season. No reason to release him, since he will be cheap, since he has shown himself to be useful when healthy. It is likely that they get another RB on the cheap next season, I'm guessing they will bring in a UDFA or two, unless somebody they really like falls in the draft.

By next season I'm guessing they will have confidence in Henderson as a full part of the rotation. If Gurley has regained his mojo, then the Rams will be fine barring multiple injuries.