Making a champion - Break down of McVay's Super Bowl game plan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Meh. He won. McVay didn't have a great game IMO, but when the Rams needed a play the most, they got one. You might argue it was due to defensive scheme incompetence as much as anything else, but on the game-winning drive, McVay successfully got Kupp 1 on 1 vs. Eli Apple in the end zone.

As noted, McVay was also coaching with some pretty major handicaps. The Rams were extremely short handed offensively. And OBJ was an absolutely huge part of the game plan. When he got hurt, the Rams had to essentially change up the script on the fly in the Super Bowl.

I don't think anyone can be too hash on McVay for his Super Bowl. I really liked how he stuck with the run in the face of the Bengals stuffing it, which I was surprised he did, but then when it mattered, put the game in the hands of his play-makers.

Interesting video nevertheless.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree... FIRE HIS A$$! And Morris, and Havenstein too. blue font

I'm not even gonna watch the video... the guy wins a super bowl and it still getting criticized. SMH

PS - nothing against Sacram... probably a good video... just not for me.

sacram

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Meh. He won. McVay didn't have a great game IMO, but when the Rams needed a play the most, they got one. You might argue it was due to defensive scheme incompetence as much as anything else, but on the game-winning drive, McVay successfully got Kupp 1 on 1 vs. Eli Apple in the end zone.

As noted, McVay was also coaching with some pretty major handicaps. The Rams were extremely short handed offensively. And OBJ was an absolutely huge part of the game plan. When he got hurt, the Rams had to essentially change up the script on the fly in the Super Bowl.

I don't think anyone can be too hash on McVay for his Super Bowl. I really liked how he stuck with the run in the face of the Bengals stuffing it, which I was surprised he did, but then when it mattered, put the game in the hands of his play-makers.

Interesting video nevertheless.
I completely agree. McVay definitely deserves credit for sticking to the run, despite getting pretty much nothing from it for the entire game. In year's past, McVay may not have done that. I'm not sure on the play run calling adjustments that were mentioned in the video, as I'm not an X's and O's kind of guy, but he definitely deserves some credit for not completely bailing on the run game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sounds like some shit they enjoy watching on the 9ers board.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s ok to look for improvements and flaws in performance. It’s another to ignore the end result..IMO

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Both Travis Rodgers on the Locked On Rams podcast and Jourdan on 11 Personnel had a good analysis of this, I strongly recommend you listen to those episodes. McVay struggled during the game to be sure, but when he had to, he adapted, tossed out the gameplan, and simply let Stafford and Kupp go win the game - which they did. This was the big difference between the Super Bowl a couple of years ago and this one, where he stuck to his gameplan to the bitter end. I hope McVay remembers this moment (and, given that it was a Super Bowl game winning drive, I kind of suspect he will ...), because this will serve him well in the future when a game goes sideways.

I think one of his biggest flaws that kept the Rams from getting over that last hump was his stubbornness and unwillingness to let go when he needed to, but he conquered that in this Super Bowl, and that's one reason why our team is now a championship team.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
62-29 and has been to two Super Bowls in 5 years at the age of 36
200w-30.gif

oldnotdead

Legend
On the other hand, there have been breakdowns showing that the refs almost cost the Rams the game. They weren't calling PI and holding calls on the Bengals which were occurring on multiple passing plays. The most egregious being the face mask on Higgins resulting in a TD. All TDs need to be reviewed yet they let it stand. That is why IMO NY told them they needed to tighten up and why they did so on that final drive.

Had they been officiating correctly the entire game it wouldn't have been close. The Rams would have won going away even with all the injuries. Had the Rams been at full strength with Woods, OBJ, and Higbee they would have blown the Bengals out even with the outrageously bad officiating.

The bottom line is that the Rams won and its all history now. That win cemented so many careers. Stafford, Donald, Whitworth, Ramsey, and Kupp as well as Miller (who was HOF regardless) as probably all first-round HOF inductees. How many teams in SB history has the winner had that many HOF players on one team. I included Kupp because IMO he will keep playing at this level and will have a HOF worthy career. That's why this Rams team will probably go down in history as one of the greatest to ever play the game.

Kudos to Snead and McVay both of whom might also make the HOF.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
This title for an article or thread is the epitome of lazy writing meets click bait whore.

You know who else almost lost a superbowl? Just about every other superbowl winner.

There are so many plays in any game that can lose it for either team so to focus on those hypothetical situations is ridiculous. Just fucking lazy, and I'm leaving it at that because it's not really journalism.

Ram65

Legend
Even a Super Bowl-winning coach can be critiqued. There were a lot of complaints about the run game going nowhere in this game and McVay continuing to do it. This guy AlexRollins did a video with The Kurt Warner. It gives him a little crediablity. Seems like he makes some interesting points on the run game. Play action pass from under center could have been a good althernative to counter the LBers attacking the line. The plays he showed were good examples of Brian Allen not adjusting to the where the defensive lineman lined up. He didn't need to do a double team and should have went right to the LBer. I don't know if the offensive line Carberry coach should have made the adjustment. I would like to see what some NFl coaches think. i don't see this as a hatchet job.

Edit: That title is over the top.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's hard to win a Super Bowl. There's always going to be something to criticize. FWIW, I thought his second half play calling and HB rotation decisions were pretty terrible until the final drive. I get that OBJ got hurt. If not for his injury, our offense probably rolls them. But I didn't like how McVay reacted to the injury. That all said, we won the fucking Super Bowl, so who really cares.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd rather our coach almost blow a superbowl than blow double digit leads in the 4th quarter. At least he's not Kyle Shanahan.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Even a Super Bowl-winning coach can be critiqued. There were a lot of complaints about the run game going nowhere in this game and McVay continuing to do it. This guy AlexRollins did a video with The Kurt Warner. It gives him a little crediablity. Seems like he makes some interesting points on the run game. Play action pass from under center could have been a good althernative to counter the LBers attacking the line. The plays he showed were good examples of Brian Allen not adjusting to the where the defensive lineman lined up. He didn't need to do a double team and should have went right to the LBer. I don't know if the offensive line Carberry coach should have made the adjustment. I would like to see what some NFl coaches think. i don't see this as a hatchet job.

Edit: That title is over the top.

Yeah, I get it, but every coach makes adjustments so what are we (over) sensationalising here.

It's not a hatchet job, just a post superbowl click bait piece trying to make mcvays play calling seem like more luck than anything else.

He made the right adjustments. The right play calls, so just give him the fucking credit.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
On the other hand, there have been breakdowns showing that the refs almost cost the Rams the game. They weren't calling PI and holding calls on the Bengals which were occurring on multiple passing plays. The most egregious being the face mask on Higgins resulting in a TD. All TDs need to be reviewed yet they let it stand. That is why IMO NY told them they needed to tighten up and why they did so on that final drive.

Had they been officiating correctly the entire game it wouldn't have been close. The Rams would have won going away even with all the injuries. Had the Rams been at full strength with Woods, OBJ, and Higbee they would have blown the Bengals out even with the outrageously bad officiating.

The bottom line is that the Rams won and its all history now. That win cemented so many careers. Stafford, Donald, Whitworth, Ramsey, and Kupp as well as Miller (who was HOF regardless) as probably all first-round HOF inductees. How many teams in SB history has the winner had that many HOF players on one team. I included Kupp because IMO he will keep playing at this level and will have a HOF worthy career. That's why this Rams team will probably go down in history as one of the greatest to ever play the game.

Kudos to Snead and McVay both of whom might also make the HOF.

Johnny Hekker feels sad and left out.

Seriously, Hekker's a HOFer himself. Easily the best punter since Guy.

dang

Legend
So they are making a case that if McVay had a called a great game, the refs called the blatant as shit face mask and the Rams had OBJ/Higbee the score would have been 45-10.

Cory

UDFA
The NFL is the one sport I don't follow or watch anyone but my team. Things like this and other articles I have read, make me wonder if other coaches get the same level of hate and I don't see it? It's just strange. This stuff is normally big in basketball; if you have the best player, the coach gets heat. It doesn't matter if you win.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I love McVay.
I also question him and occasionally, when warranted, I criticize him as much as any around here...

The Bengals were no juggernaut, but they earned their way just like we did. They were not an easy team to beat, a deceptively good defense, team coached by a McVay disciple...

No run game, no TEs, no OBJ, McVay was missing everything but a QB and a WR. He found a way to win anyways.

I don't think outsiders really understand or appreciate how much McVay is a multi faceted coach... some HCs are Xs and Os guys, play call gurus and uber-coordinator's, some are emotional leaders or effective teachers... McVay does all of those and all at a very high level to boot.. Navigating this team through this season to this ending required every one of McVays skills and instincts and nobody else would've been able to make this happen the way it did.

I respect and understand Jourdans take on this, but I'm of the opinion that McVays SB performance was totally praise worthy.
If OBJ stayed in, if he had Higbee, I bet his run game would've opened up more too and McVays offense would've had a big night against a good defense...

....although if that happened, the narrative would be about how bad Cincinnatis defense was and how any offense could've done that...