Make Us Cry

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am writing a death scene for a young mother in 1896-97, with three sons: Walter age 10, Harry age 7, and Eugene age 3.
These are her last words to them.
She believes in God but isn't that churchy about it. This is a moment for me to add depth to the story and make readers feel something. She is a 26 year old mother when she passes, and lost a fourth son Earl only 8 months before (He was 4 months, and died in horrible pain due to intestinal trouble). Some things I am thinking about. In her weakness, she draws Harry close and sings Happy Birthday to him a little early because she doesn't think she'll live to see it. The older son Walter's life goes off the rails after his mother dies. He went from being mentioned in newspapers as having a perfect attendence record in school, to cussing out people on the streets of a neighboring town, and he was playing the life of a young hobo (7 months) and ended up in reform school for almost three years. He was a heavy smoker and died at age 21.

I need some good ideas. Thanks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What was the cause of her death?
I have to be a bit creative with this, because so far I have found nothing about her death. I do know that her parents visited her in 1896, but the 1900 US Census calls hubby a widower. Since the infant Earl died 8 months earlier, I am going to use the vernacular of the times in calling her death due to female problems.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I can help
First what is the title.
From your title you’ll know your theme in it’s more purest and condensed form
Then you work accordingly

Be careful not to play things too melodramatically. I know your title of your thread is “Make Us Cry,” so that leads me to gander that it’s meant to be a sentimental scene. For that you can always find well balanced scenes in film like Terms Of Endearment to keep things from spilling over into saccharinity.

Each child you mention is a different person, so consider how each one would process this information. A child who is 3 will most likely be shielded from the truth as much as possible. While the older ones having just experienced the death of their sibling might be more aware - so that would lead her to possibly consider having the dying mom break it down to them honestly and as men.

Consider that she is dying — i mean death is upon her — and ask yourself what is her primary concern. If she is a woman of Faith she would be aware of herself in relation to God. Even if she has somehow lost faith due to the loss she has recently suffered and now her own demise - which isn’t indicated above as being the cause - her death would be based around an orthodox vision. Furthermore consider that if she is a woman of Faith as you say, she won’t be thinking of herself - she will be thinking of her kids. Those that she leaves behind — i mean she is leaving for eternal life and will bring that spirit to the occasion. I mean just consider more specifically her Faith in this situation.

With that being said, lose the whole Birthday song gag. It’s self-indulgent and will repulse your readers. I mean who does that buy a psychopath? Just think about it a while. It would be cool if she was in deed a little off her rocker, and she would sing to each child Happy Birthday 76 times for ever birthday she’ll miss. I mean that is creepy. But it doesn’t fit what i hear above. She is just some mom who dies for no other reason than to propel other characters forward.

If she’s dying she knows it and will say goodbye to them in her own uplifting way. She will console and comfort not for her sake but that of her child.

You mention the 4th kid who died. She might be reaffirming the other children/siblings that she is going back to see him (the recently departed child).

But mainly she will be giving them instruction. And this should tie back into the theme and how her death effects the lives of those she left behind. Like the kid who goes bananas when his mother dies. I mean why does he go off the rails? What incited that in him to become self-destructive? What has made this kid break and lose his Faith? And that should be contrasted to the sibling who did handle the death in a more industrious way - who despite the grief decided he’d take to heart her advice and move forward in Faith.

So if you know your theme, which you absolutely have to in order to finish any project then you can go Terms of Endearment and nail a well balanced scene that is all about what she wants most of all — to do all she can to leave the world knowing her children will be safe and grow up successfully without her.

Avoid the sentimental for sentimental sake. Again you mention how she isn’t too “churchy” so that means you have created by default a balanced and even-tempered person who is considerate of others. It says she knows how to live in the world while embracing the essential tenets of God’s truth. So she won’t be dogmatic, but neither will she be flippant. She that makes her prudent above all else. Treat the scene like that. Keep it as honest as possible by avoiding the urge to make someone cry. If you play it for what it is, it should evoke something far better than emotional response, but the willingness for the reader to read on.

* pardon typos - stream of conscious post here. And all references to God are for literal purposes only, i.e. this inherent Orthodox world vision

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can help
First what is the title.
From your title you’ll know your theme in it’s more purest and condensed form
Then you work accordingly

Be careful not to play things too melodramatically. I know your title of your thread is “Make Us Cry,” so that leads me to gander that it’s meant to be a sentimental scene. For that you can always find well balanced scenes in film like Terms Of Endearment to keep things from spilling over into saccharinity.

Each child you mention is a different person, so consider how each one would process this information. A child who is 3 will most likely be shielded from the truth as much as possible. While the older ones having just experienced the death of their sibling might be more aware - so that would lead her to possibly consider having the dying mom break it down to them honestly and as men.

Consider that she is dying — i mean death is upon her — and ask yourself what is her primary concern. If she is a woman of Faith she would be aware of herself in relation to God. Even if she has somehow lost faith due to the loss she has recently suffered and now her own demise - which isn’t indicated above as being the cause - her death would be based around an orthodox vision. Furthermore consider that if she is a woman of Faith as you say, she won’t be thinking of herself - she will be thinking of her kids. Those that she leaves behind — i mean she is leaving for eternal life and will bring that spirit to the occasion. I mean just consider more specifically her Faith in this situation.

With that being said, lose the whole Birthday song gag. It’s self-indulgent and will repulse your readers. I mean who does that buy a psychopath? Just think about it a while. It would be cool if she was in deed a little off her rocker, and she would sing to each child Happy Birthday 76 times for ever birthday she’ll miss. I mean that is creepy. But it doesn’t fit what i hear above. She is just some mom who dies for no other reason than to propel other characters forward.

If she’s dying she knows it and will say goodbye to them in her own uplifting way. She will console and comfort not for her sake but that of her child.

You mention the 4th kid who died. She might be reaffirming the other children/siblings that she is going back to see him (the recently departed child).

But mainly she will be giving them instruction. And this should tie back into the theme and how her death effects the lives of those she left behind. Like the kid who goes bananas when his mother dies. I mean why does he go off the rails? What incited that in him to become self-destructive? What has made this kid break and lose his Faith? And that should be contrasted to the sibling who did handle the death in a more industrious way - who despite the grief decided he’d take to heart her advice and move forward in Faith.

So if you know your theme, which you absolutely have to in order to finish any project then you can go Terms of Endearment and nail a well balanced scene that is all about what she wants most of all — to do all she can to leave the world knowing her children will be safe and grow up successfully without her.

Avoid the sentimental for sentimental sake. Again you mention how she isn’t too “churchy” so that means you have created by default a balanced and even-tempered person who is considerate of others. It says she knows how to live in the world while embracing the essential tenets of God’s truth. So she won’t be dogmatic, but neither will she be flippant. She that makes her prudent above all else. Treat the scene like that. Keep it as honest as possible by avoiding the urge to make someone cry. If you play it for what it is, it should evoke something far better than emotional response, but the willingness for the reader to read on.

* pardon typos - stream of conscious post here. And all references to God are for literal purposes only, i.e. this inherent Orthodox world vision
You had some good points, but I like the idea of the Happy birthday scene. This is what I'll be submitting tonight. It is a historical fiction short story with a touch of magical realism. This is the scene, tell me if it works.

“Your move, Mom.” Walter urged.

Ida had closed her eyes for a moment, with her right hand covering her face. She was laying on her back under the covers, with her back against propped up pillows. It was in the morning and the light filtered through the drawn curtains. Walter had brought his domino set at her request, to play a game. She knew he loved the game. Removing her hand from her pale face with tears rolling down, “Walter, can you give me a few minutes? I can’t concentrate.”

“We can play it some other time? Asked her son.

She attempted a smile and said “that would be nice.”

The door opened and Jack was carrying Eugene and Harry ran a few steps excitedly until he saw his mother’s face, “Momma?”

“Come up here my big boy” as she patted the place beside her on the bed. Harry would have jumped on the bed normally, but instead crawled gently by her side. Jack placed three-year old Eugene on her right side. She placed her arm around Eugene and he burrowed in close.

“Momma’s sweet boy” she whispered and then kissed Eugene.

“Have you thought what you want for your birthday, Harry?” she asked.

“No. It’s not my birthday?” the boy asked, and squirmed a little.

Ida looked toward her husband and nodded. “You’re right Gene, it’s not. I just thought we could have a little party right now.”

Jack went to the closet and came out with two packages, wrapped in blue soldier patterned wrapping paper balanced with his one hand. He dropped one and then the other near the boys. Eugene giggled and started ripping the paper excitedly.

“Wait, Gene! We have to sing the birthday song first. Happy birthday to you, Happy…”

Eugene sang with gusto, but Harry, Jack, and Walter who was standing near the wall sang in a perfunctory way. They knew in varying degrees what was happening, but for Eugene, it was his birthday party and that was all.

“Ok, now open your presents,” Ida said with as much cheer as she could muster. Her pale face grew even more ashen. The Gene shredded the paper, revealing a wooden box. Taking the top off, Gene squealed with joy as he pulled a wooden train painted green with rolling red wheels. He held it up high, and then slid to the floor with it, and rolled it across the wood floor.

The boy’s baby sitter Edna opened the door quickly because of the noise. Noticing the unguarded expression of pain by Ida, Edna moved forward and said “c’mon Gene, lets play outside with that train. My, what a handsome one it is!” Edna led Eugene out of the room, looking over her shoulder to see Ida mouthing

“Thank you.”

The door closed and Ida noticed Harry stroking the package pensively.

“Mom, you’ll be here for my real birthday, won’t you?”

Ida looked at her middle son with love and utter weariness. “I want to be Harry, but I can’t promise.”

Harry laid against her chest, sobbing, with the package pushed to the side. He opened the package months later on his actual birthday, but his mother wasn’t there.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Harry laid against her chest, sobbing, with the package pushed to the side. He would open the gift months later on his actual birthday, tears streaming on the packaging hugged tightly into his chest.

Very compelling, brother! Great writing.

Maybe a bit of a twist at the end? Let the actions reveal the loss of his mom.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
You had some good points, but I like the idea of the Happy birthday scene. This is what I'll be submitting tonight. It is a historical fiction short story with a touch of magical realism. This is the scene, tell me if it works.

“Your move, Mom.” Walter urged.

Ida had closed her eyes for a moment, with her right hand covering her face. She was laying on her back under the covers, with her back against propped up pillows. It was in the morning and the light filtered through the drawn curtains. Walter had brought his domino set at her request, to play a game. She knew he loved the game. Removing her hand from her pale face with tears rolling down, “Walter, can you give me a few minutes? I can’t concentrate.”

“We can play it some other time? Asked her son.

She attempted a smile and said “that would be nice.”

The door opened and Jack was carrying Eugene and Harry ran a few steps excitedly until he saw his mother’s face, “Momma?”

“Come up here my big boy” as she patted the place beside her on the bed. Harry would have jumped on the bed normally, but instead crawled gently by her side. Jack placed three-year old Eugene on her right side. She placed her arm around Eugene and he burrowed in close.

“Momma’s sweet boy” she whispered and then kissed Eugene.

“Have you thought what you want for your birthday, Harry?” she asked.

“No. It’s not my birthday?” the boy asked, and squirmed a little.

Ida looked toward her husband and nodded. “You’re right Gene, it’s not. I just thought we could have a little party right now.”

Jack went to the closet and came out with two packages, wrapped in blue soldier patterned wrapping paper balanced with his one hand. He dropped one and then the other near the boys. Eugene giggled and started ripping the paper excitedly.

“Wait, Gene! We have to sing the birthday song first. Happy birthday to you, Happy…”

Eugene sang with gusto, but Harry, Jack, and Walter who was standing near the wall sang in a perfunctory way. They knew in varying degrees what was happening, but for Eugene, it was his birthday party and that was all.

“Ok, now open your presents,” Ida said with as much cheer as she could muster. Her pale face grew even more ashen. The Gene shredded the paper, revealing a wooden box. Taking the top off, Gene squealed with joy as he pulled a wooden train painted green with rolling red wheels. He held it up high, and then slid to the floor with it, and rolled it across the wood floor.

The boy’s baby sitter Edna opened the door quickly because of the noise. Noticing the unguarded expression of pain by Ida, Edna moved forward and said “c’mon Gene, lets play outside with that train. My, what a handsome one it is!” Edna led Eugene out of the room, looking over her shoulder to see Ida mouthing

“Thank you.”

The door closed and Ida noticed Harry stroking the package pensively.

“Mom, you’ll be here for my real birthday, won’t you?”

Ida looked at her middle son with love and utter weariness. “I want to be Harry, but I can’t promise.”

Harry laid against her chest, sobbing, with the package pushed to the side. He opened the package months later on his actual birthday, but his mother wasn’t there.

Cool.

Still a transient scene though.
Looks like it’s a flashback the way you finish.

One thing- Is the gift a “magical item” of sorts, i mean it has to be of more significance here don’t you think?
Remember if there is a gun on the wall it has to go off. So the Reader will want to know what that gift is. And it has to be of significance otherwise lose it.

But yeah it plays better than i imagined.

I am still missing this sense of her death. It needs a little more crafting there - i mean knows she is dying. So does the husband. So Keep in mind you said another child (4th) had died recently so that would have some impact here. There would be that recent death of the 4th son looming over her death bed — so the older kids would be aware. You should deal with those issues here.
Any why dominoes? How does that game speak to the scene? What is the thematic tie in? Work more there to bring the game the kid is playing to prefigure what will happen later to the characters who are left behind - specifically Walter.
My issue is that it’s a death scene and they would have some idea that she won’t be around anymore following the demise of their other sibling. So when she says “we can play later” Walter should know this is not the case.
Maybe he reacts accordingly. I mean the scene is missing conflict and is played super safe. You might wanna pursue more dramatic tension here.
I mean Mom is dying and everyone is glossing over it like they are unaware of what is happening. Even the mom is glossing over it.
And one side note - when she asks the kid what he wants for his birthday, a kid would know, right? I mean youbknew you wanted crossbows and catapults a year in advance - or a puppy, etc. Like remember the Christmas Story how the obsession with the red rider gun dominated his every thought? - my point is that kids know what they want for their birthday months in advance - maybe have the kid say what it is he wants, and then she has it for him. That would make more sense here.
Just suggesting to push more here.
The gift needs to be significant otherwise you might risk pandering.
Also keep crafting here.
The mother needs impart them with purpose no? It can’t just be played for emotion.
I don’t see her imparting any critical info to the kids. Watch Terms of Endearment death scene. It gives you all the answers. It is purposeful.
Still your scene plays a bit easy - you need to push further. Keep crafting it with the idea of her death and leaving her kids as first and foremost on her mind - it is still missing here.
Good stuff !!!!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KIeg0iYZNkg

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MMCSp8gYpzk

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cool.

Still a transient scene though.
Looks like it’s a flashback the way you finish.

One thing- Is the gift a “magical item” of sorts, i mean it has to be of more significance here don’t you think?
Remember if there is a gun on the wall it has to go off. So the Reader will want to know what that gift is. And it has to be of significance otherwise lose it.

But yeah it plays better than i imagined.

I am still missing this sense of her death. It needs a little more crafting there - i mean knows she is dying. So does the husband. So Keep in mind you said another child (4th) had died recently so that would have some impact here. There would be that recent death of the 4th son looming over her death bed — so the older kids would be aware. You should deal with those issues here.
Any why dominoes? How does that game speak to the scene? What is the thematic tie in? Work more there to bring the game the kid is playing to prefigure what will happen later to the characters who are left behind - specifically Walter.
My issue is that it’s a death scene and they would have some idea that she won’t be around anymore following the demise of their other sibling. So when she says “we can play later” Walter should know this is not the case.
Maybe he reacts accordingly. I mean the scene is missing conflict and is played super safe. You might wanna pursue more dramatic tension here.
I mean Mom is dying and everyone is glossing over it like they are unaware of what is happening. Even the mom is glossing over it.
And one side note - when she asks the kid what he wants for his birthday, a kid would know, right? I mean youbknew you wanted crossbows and catapults a year in advance - or a puppy, etc. Like remember the Christmas Story how the obsession with the red rider gun dominated his every thought? - my point is that kids know what they want for their birthday months in advance - maybe have the kid say what it is he wants, and then she has it for him. That would make more sense here.
Just suggesting to push more here.
The gift needs to be significant otherwise you might risk pandering.
Also keep crafting here.
The mother needs impart them with purpose no? It can’t just be played for emotion.
I don’t see her imparting any critical info to the kids. Watch Terms of Endearment death scene. It gives you all the answers. It is purposeful.
Still your scene plays a bit easy - you need to push further. Keep crafting it with the idea of her death and leaving her kids as first and foremost on her mind - it is still missing here.
Good stuff !!!!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KIeg0iYZNkg

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MMCSp8gYpzk

This scene is part of a 29 page short story for an advanced fiction class at University. I'm a historian (BS) and I like creative writing so I'm writing a novella of family members in a late 19th century town called Plattsmouth. This story is about a guy called Happy Jack, and the scene was something I'd never written before. The magical element wasn't included in the segment I posted, but is personified in a co-narrator named Cicero. He's a magical familiar in the form of a tallish black mouse, that has been in this particular family for centuries, but the author doesn't know it quite yet.
The project has been a challenge because most of the information has been gathered through 20 years of historical research through newspapers of the day. Being a historian, it goes against my training to add information that I can't source. Cicero is a literal metaphor for creativity, who the author would normally try to kill, because he hates mice. Anyway, thanks for looking at the above scene. That's why it's historical fiction because I am gluing the facts together, like with scene above

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
This scene is part of a 29 page short story for an advanced fiction class at University. I'm a historian (BS) and I like creative writing so I'm writing a novella of family members in a late 19th century town called Plattsmouth. This story is about a guy called Happy Jack, and the scene was something I'd never written before. The magical element wasn't included in the segment I posted, but is personified in a co-narrator named Cicero. He's a magical familiar in the form of a tallish black mouse, that has been in this particular family for centuries, but the author doesn't know it quite yet.
The project has been a challenge because most of the information has been gathered through 20 years of historical research through newspapers of the day. Being a historian, it goes against my training to add information that I can't source. Cicero is a literal metaphor for creativity, who the author would normally try to kill, because he hates mice. Anyway, thanks for looking at the above scene. That's why it's historical fiction because I am gluing the facts together, like with scene above

Cool. Looks like you have it totally under control.

As far as working with historical subject matter I know what you’re talking about.

i have deadlines on some project about factual events and they have me been working with an elderly man who was one of the main participants to the entire events.
The guy somehow wants to keep all the dark dirty parts away from me cause he’s worried about what his grandkids will think when they watch it. Little he knows his grandkids will think he’s a hero if they actually knew how badass their grandfather really was. So i am doing constant work arounds. Luckily I have a host of other less inhibited people who have told me exactly what happened even if he doesn’t want to tell me about his gambling and cocaine addiction. At the end of the day I am getting paid a lot to make it good. And they have hired me to properly dramatize everything regardless of whether the old man likes it or not.
Anyway.
Too bad I couldn’t be of any help.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cool. Looks like you have it totally under control.

As far as working with historical subject matter I know what you’re talking about.

i have deadlines on some project about factual events and they have me been working with an elderly man who was one of the main participants to the entire events.
The guy somehow wants to keep all the dark dirty parts away from me cause he’s worried about what his grandkids will think when they watch it. Little he knows his grandkids will think he’s a hero if they actually knew how badass their grandfather really was. So i am doing constant work arounds. Luckily I have a host of other less inhibited people who have told me exactly what happened even if he doesn’t want to tell me about his gambling and cocaine addiction. At the end of the day I am getting paid a lot to make it good. And they have hired me to properly dramatize everything regardless of whether the old man likes it or not.
Anyway.
Too bad I couldn’t be of any help.
Actually you were of help. You firmed up thoughts I had about taking where each character was mentally (age, personality) and how they might deal with their mothers death.
Jack- Husband and father stars working excessively after Ida's death, and neglects kids.
Walter- Oldest son freaks after Mom dies, and ends up becoming a hobo in 1899 for 7 months, Comes home and is put into reform school for 3 years. Dies at age 21 yrs.
Harry- Becomes a professional driver who hit several people and was the getaway driver in a bank robbery as a cab driver. Dies in his late thirties.
Eugene - A more measured wild man...Travels wildly to Mexico, when it wasn't safe...Joins the army in Montana. Marries a Portguese girl in San Fran and raises a family there.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Actually you were of help. You firmed up thoughts I had about taking where each character was mentally (age, personality) and how they might deal with their mothers death.
Jack- Husband and father stars working excessively after Ida's death, and neglects kids.
Walter- Oldest son freaks after Mom dies, and ends up becoming a hobo in 1899 for 7 months, Comes home and is put into reform school for 3 years. Dies at age 21 yrs.
Harry- Becomes a professional driver who hit several people and was the getaway driver in a bank robbery as a cab driver. Dies in his late thirties.
Eugene - A more measured wild man...Travels wildly to Mexico, when it wasn't safe...Joins the army in Montana. Marries a Portguese girl in San Fran and raises a family there.

Nice!

oldnotdead

Legend
True story:

As I've made it clear in other posts, I was a Navy Corpsman in the early 70's. After corps school I was assigned to Trauma Unit of SICU (Surgical Intensive Care Unit) at the Naval Hospital in San Diego. In that unit we worked as a team, doctor, nurse, corpsman same shift, same patients. We were among the first to do it that way. Trauma Unit was a specialized care unit run by both UCSD, UCLA, USC's medical schools and the Navy. We used experimental equipment and techniques such as digital blood pressure cuffs, digital thermometers, and electronic IV flow control units, all of which are normal in all hospitals today, but not back then.

Almost all of the patients were wounded Marines and sailors from the Vietnam War. It's one thing to see how a bullet impacts and affects ballistic gel and another to understand how a bullet actually behaves inside the human body. Also how concussion from explosive blasts affects the body and it's internal organs. That was the purpose of the unit. To study how the wounds develop and how to treat them.

As I've said the vast majority of the patients were combat wounded.....but not all.

I walked on the ward after changing into my scrubs. I looked up at the white board which showed where my team would be working. We normally had 3-5 patients at any given time. When I left the day before we had 4 but during the 12 hours between shift one had died. Another name was on the board for our unit and I was slightly surprised to see a girls name.

I joined my team for our pass downs and reports from the team we were relieving. I was told the new addition was a 5 year old female, with traumatic head injuries from a auto accident the night before. The father was deployed in Nam and was being notified and would be brought home ASAP but that might be several days at best. The mother was comatose in another part of the unit. Her prognosis wasn't good,

The daughter's prognosis wasn't much better. I was told she was in and out of consciousness and lucid at times. Pain management in those days for head injuries wasn't what it is today. But even today its a iffy proposition. She had secondary injuries as well to her upper torso complicating things. I was told to monitor her closely for TBI symptoms and for delayed hematomas (swelling).
I also received the information on the other patients we had as well. No head surgery had been performed as of yet but she had a surgical procedure on her chest extending to her upper abdomen. The wound was such that it had been left open to heal from the inside out. So a moist dressing change would be done during the shift.

I started my routine checks with the other 3 patients I had been working with for several days. I left the girl whose name was Carrie until the last because I knew she would require more time. I walked up to her bed and she appeared to be sleeping. Her breathing was soft, easy and otherwise normal. I did my routine checks and began to setup for the dressing change. It can be a bit shocking and gruesome to most people so I was glad she was sleeping.

As I set up for the dressing change she woke up. I stopped and spoke to her. She was completely lucid but confused. She asked repeatedly for her mommy and her daddy. I told her, that her mommy wasn't feeling well and was sleeping, and that her daddy was away but on his way home. She began to cry saying she hurt. I asked her where and she said her chest. I looked up and the nurse (she and the doc were civilians) shook her head no....I looked around and found a lidocaine swab on a long stick. The doc simply shrugged and said, "won't hurt to try but gently".

I told Carrie I needed to change her bandage but I would try to be gentle and to put something on that might help the pain. She just said "OK" between her sobs. I blocked her view of her torso with a disposable sterile drape. I removed the bandage as carefully as I could. I applied betadine and gently swabbed he edges of the skin with the lidocaine, before I re-bandaged the wound. As I cleaned up I asked her if she was okay. She nodded she was but continued to cry quietly.

I began to talk to her trying to distract her and to gauge her awareness. She asked me if I could read to her. I told her I didn't have her books but if she told me which ones she liked I would try to get them. She told me 2 or 3 books her mother would read to her from.

Our shifts were 12 hours and the rest of the shift passed uneventfully with me talking to Carrie every time she was awake. True to the report she drifted in and out all during the shift. Before I came in the next day I went to a local book store and bought two of the books Carrie named and put the 3rd on order. It was a big expense considering how little we made back then but I felt it would be worth every penny. I thought I would want someone to help my daughter that way if she were mine.

During that second shift Carrie began to take a turn for the worse. She was happy I had the books and I read to her when I could. But her behavior became confused and she would scream for no apparent reason. Most of the time however, she just cried and kept saying I want my mommy, I want my daddy. I tried to comfort her as best I could, to the extent that the doc and nurse covered a lot of my work with the other patients to allow me to stay with Carrie.

I went home that day shaken and upset. My roommate happened to be home that day and she helped me deal with it. She was a flight attendant for PSA so our schedules rarely coincided. We normally tried not to bring work home but I couldn't this time and Anne understood.

The next day at our beginning of the shift report, the report on Carrie was not good at all. She would be awake but not cognizant most of the time. They had taken her down for tests and the results were not good. Surgery was being considered but most felt it would simply have her die on the table.

About 20 minutes into the shift a soft alarm sounded. It heralded the passing of Carrie's mother. I was standing by Carries bed at the time and she had been crying softly non-stop for several minutes prior, calling for her mommy. That really shook me. Normally she called for both her parents, but this time she only called for her mommy.

About 2 hours later Carrie awoke and looked at me and said "Daddy I'm scared! I'm scared daddy!" All the while she was looking at me. I moved to her and bent down and cuddled her head. She kept repeating "I'm scared daddy, help me!"

All I could say is "I'm here Carrie, I'm here baby don't be scared." After I said it a couple of times I kissed her forehead. Suddenly she said " I love you daddy!" I responded with " Daddy loves you Carrie". She then said " I love you mommy! Help me!" and she died in my arms.

I looked up at the doctor who had tears in his eyes and I said, "I can't do this anymore." He shook his head that he understood.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
True story:

As I've made it clear in other posts, I was a Navy Corpsman in the early 70's. After corps school I was assigned to Trauma Unit of SICU (Surgical Intensive Care Unit) at the Naval Hospital in San Diego. In that unit we worked as a team, doctor, nurse, corpsman same shift, same patients. We were among the first to do it that way. Trauma Unit was a specialized care unit run by both UCSD, UCLA, USC's medical schools and the Navy. We used experimental equipment and techniques such as digital blood pressure cuffs, digital thermometers, and electronic IV flow control units, all of which are normal in all hospitals today, but not back then.

Almost all of the patients were wounded Marines and sailors from the Vietnam War. It's one thing to see how a bullet impacts and affects ballistic gel and another to understand how a bullet actually behaves inside the human body. Also how concussion from explosive blasts affects the body and it's internal organs. That was the purpose of the unit. To study how the wounds develop and how to treat them.

As I've said the vast majority of the patients were combat wounded.....but not all.

I walked on the ward after changing into my scrubs. I looked up at the white board which showed where my team would be working. We normally had 3-5 patients at any given time. When I left the day before we had 4 but during the 12 hours between shift one had died. Another name was on the board for our unit and I was slightly surprised to see a girls name.

I joined my team for our pass downs and reports from the team we were relieving. I was told the new addition was a 5 year old female, with traumatic head injuries from a auto accident the night before. The father was deployed in Nam and was being notified and would be brought home ASAP but that might be several days at best. The mother was comatose in another part of the unit. Her prognosis wasn't good,

The daughter's prognosis wasn't much better. I was told she was in and out of consciousness and lucid at times. Pain management in those days for head injuries wasn't what it is today. But even today its a iffy proposition. She had secondary injuries as well to her upper torso complicating things. I was told to monitor her closely for TBI symptoms and for delayed hematomas (swelling).
I also received the information on the other patients we had as well. No head surgery had been performed as of yet but she had a surgical procedure on her chest extending to her upper abdomen. The wound was such that it had been left open to heal from the inside out. So a moist dressing change would be done during the shift.

I started my routine checks with the other 3 patients I had been working with for several days. I left the girl whose name was Carrie until the last because I knew she would require more time. I walked up to her bed and she appeared to be sleeping. Her breathing was soft, easy and otherwise normal. I did my routine checks and began to setup for the dressing change. It can be a bit shocking and gruesome to most people so I was glad she was sleeping.

As I set up for the dressing change she woke up. I stopped and spoke to her. She was completely lucid but confused. She asked repeatedly for her mommy and her daddy. I told her, that her mommy wasn't feeling well and was sleeping, and that her daddy was away but on his way home. She began to cry saying she hurt. I asked her where and she said her chest. I looked up and the nurse (she and the doc were civilians) shook her head no....I looked around and found a lidocaine swab on a long stick. The doc simply shrugged and said, "won't hurt to try but gently".

I told Carrie I needed to change her bandage but I would try to be gentle and to put something on that might help the pain. She just said "OK" between her sobs. I blocked her view of her torso with a disposable sterile drape. I removed the bandage as carefully as I could. I applied betadine and gently swabbed he edges of the skin with the lidocaine, before I re-bandaged the wound. As I cleaned up I asked her if she was okay. She nodded she was but continued to cry quietly.

I began to talk to her trying to distract her and to gauge her awareness. She asked me if I could read to her. I told her I didn't have her books but if she told me which ones she liked I would try to get them. She told me 2 or 3 books her mother would read to her from.

Our shifts were 12 hours and the rest of the shift passed uneventfully with me talking to Carrie every time she was awake. True to the report she drifted in and out all during the shift. Before I came in the next day I went to a local book store and bought two of the books Carrie named and put the 3rd on order. It was a big expense considering how little we made back then but I felt it would be worth every penny. I thought I would want someone to help my daughter that way if she were mine.

During that second shift Carrie began to take a turn for the worse. She was happy I had the books and I read to her when I could. But her behavior became confused and she would scream for no apparent reason. Most of the time however, she just cried and kept saying I want my mommy, I want my daddy. I tried to comfort her as best I could, to the extent that the doc and nurse covered a lot of my work with the other patients to allow me to stay with Carrie.

I went home that day shaken and upset. My roommate happened to be home that day and she helped me deal with it. She was a flight attendant for PSA so our schedules rarely coincided. We normally tried not to bring work home but I couldn't this time and Anne understood.

The next day at our beginning of the shift report, the report on Carrie was not good at all. She would be awake but not cognizant most of the time. They had taken her down for tests and the results were not good. Surgery was being considered but most felt it would simply have her die on the table.

About 20 minutes into the shift a soft alarm sounded. It heralded the passing of Carrie's mother. I was standing by Carries bed at the time and she had been crying softly non-stop for several minutes prior, calling for her mommy. That really shook me. Normally she called for both her parents, but this time she only called for her mommy.

About 2 hours later Carrie awoke and looked at me and said "Daddy I'm scared! I'm scared daddy!" All the while she was looking at me. I moved to her and bent down and cuddled her head. She kept repeating "I'm scared daddy, help me!"

All I could say is "I'm here Carrie, I'm here baby don't be scared." After I said it a couple of times I kissed her forehead. Suddenly she said " I love you daddy!" I responded with " Daddy loves you Carrie". She then said " I love you mommy! Help me!" and she died in my arms.

I looked up at the doctor who had tears in his eyes and I said, "I can't do this anymore." He shook his head that he understood.

God bless you brother

fearsomefour

Legend
True story:

Brutal and beautiful story.
Never worked in the medical field at all, but, some of the kindest moments I have seen have been with medical staff/nurses attending to patients who were gone or on their way.
Takes a certain kind of soul to do that work with the passion and empathy it deserves.
Well done.

oldnotdead

Legend
Thank you both.

This is why I have such legitimate concern about guys like Cooks and his concussions. I've seen what can happen first hand.