Major Computer Problems

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
What happened? I hate virus protection software, always feels like its messing things up more than helping it.

It can if you mess with the options too much. If you make it too aggressive it can delete some important shit.

I think it was Malware Bytes that was notorious for this.

cracengl

Rookie
I bought my wife a new laptop. 20 minutes out of the box, I downloaded Chrome and Avast antivirus. One of those had a trojan horse in the installer and next thing I know, my brand new laptop has crazy bad malware on it.

It wasn't all bad though, after doing a clean Windows install, it got rid of all the bloatware Toshiba had shipped with it.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I bought my wife a new laptop. 20 minutes out of the box, I downloaded Chrome and Avast antivirus. One of those had a trojan horse in the installer and next thing I know, my brand new laptop has crazy bad malware on it.

It wasn't all bad though, after doing a clean Windows install, it got rid of all the bloatware Toshiba had shipped with it.
Did you download from SourceForge? They have gone straight to hell with their crap lately. Can't even get FileZilla anymore without installing the bullshit SourceForge installer and their browser hijacking garbage.

cracengl

Rookie
Did you download from SourceForge? They have gone straight to hell with their crap lately. Can't even get FileZilla anymore without installing the bullcrap SourceForge installer and their browser hijacking garbage.

I don't think so. I can't remember where exactly.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Also a warning to all members using a Betamax machine:

It's 2019.

Just breakin' balls, flv. It's kinda my thing.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
If you're still using XP, there's a ton of exploits that Microsoft doesn't care about at all and won't get patched ever. This one you're talking about, BlueKeep, is incredibly freaking serious but that's not too say that the other existing that's are not really bad.

Just because it isn't patched anymore doesn't mean people don't continue to develop exploits for it. Modern operating systems are interested more secure if for no other reason than they are actively patched frequently.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Not sure if it would have helped but have you ever used ccleaner? Great free tool that clears out all caches and usually frees up a significant amount of space, especially if you have never run it.
CCleaner is the bomb. The free one works great and if you can afford to pay for the professional one it catches a lot of problems before they start. I have been using it for about 5 years now.