Major changes needed...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
Me too, and I'm a total JG homer. I don't know that he can't see the field, he just makes awful throws way too often, like the first throw of the Dallas game. Just inexplicably bad throws fore a guy who is fairly accurate. Think you're right, McVays initial schemes may have spoiled him.

Speaking of McVay, you nailed it regarding the negative impact of losing Lefleur, Olsen and Taylor,
not only game-wise, but in significantly negatively impacting Goff's development. I don't know anything about Jay Gruden (or if he'd be interested), but he needs to find someone he can rely on for help, especially in in-game adjustments.

Defensively, in no particular order, Wade is a keeper, don't get the lack of love for Ebukam, Weddle is past it, Suh did a lot more than we (I) realised, Hill is a baller worth his pay, Rapp's the best tackler on the team (with Littleton a very close second), don't know why Smart is still on the team, sixes on Fowler, like Matthews but should be kept (cheaply) for depth, DRC is expendable, look forward too seeing what we have in Long, and agree with you, we are going to see a lot more from the young players on the D side next year.

(Just out of curiousity origin of @Jacobarch?)

One thing I heard discussed was about how amped up Goff was for the game. He came out, and that showed a bit, as he was misfiring on many of the early throws because he was rushing. This has happened in multiple games this year.

I've noticed that when Goff starts a game slow, he hardly ever recovers. That is simply a confidence thing for a young QB. I'd really like to see McVay learn how to manage that. Maybe come out and start with a couple runs every now and then. Or some short throws to the flat or TE's in the middle? Almost every single team we play comes out with a uber short passing game until the feel of the game is established.

Goff also needs a dedicated, experienced QB coach as mentioned - his mechanics have regressed this year.

And +1 on Ebukam - I think he can be a reliable 8-10 sack guy and a decent run defender.

oldnotdead

Legend
You make it sound like it's a mathematical formula to find a good player. You may have been too busy looking down at Hill's measurables to notice he can ball.

No I also watch how they play. When you watch him in man coverage he struggles against good receivers who run good routes. He doesn't have the burst to match coming out of their breaks. Watch him....he's in off coverage alignment just like Peters. The difference is that a shorter CB has a smaller play radius. In simple terms it means he must play tighter to get the same play coverage compared to a taller CB. Taller CBs like Richard Sherman don't need to be literally in the WR's back pocket. Watch Sherman and he's rarely up against the receiver, because he doesn't have to be. Now add in Troy's 4.55 speed which is marginal at best for a boundary CB trying to cover a WR who runs 4.4. They will make one break to separate then simply outrun him and it's happened more than once. It's why smaller CB's especially with marginal speed generally play in the slot because most Y receivers are the possession receivers only running shorter quicker routes or they play in zone schemes.

What I'm pointing out is that Troy just like Marcus Peters, is a poor fit for this defensive scheme. Put Troy in a different scheme and he will probably thrive. But in this scheme he's hit or miss way too many times for a starting boundary CB.

Look at the Seattle CBs as they have a classic type of secondary. They understand that the trend is for fast tall receivers. So they look for starters in their secondary that are at least 6' tall. I'm sorry but size matters in the secondary as does speed. Case in point the Sea Hawks starting CBS Flowers is 6'3" runs 4.45 and Griffin is 6' and runs a 4.3. Their nickel DB (slot CB) is Amadi and he's 5'9" and runs a 4.5.

In the NFL size and speed matters and there is no getting around it. In 2014 the Chargers drafted Jason Verrett who is barely 5'10" but he ran a 4.3 at the combine so the FO fell in love with him. At the time I told people this guy has got to play inside as a slot CB because boundary CB's take a physical beating. When he was healthy he was great, but by the second year the injuries started to happen. His career has been one injury after another. He played in the same system the Rams use, primarily a press man coverage scheme. Their GM simply didn't understand the difference between playing man in college and the NFL.

Pete Carroll knows this and it's why he insists upon his boundary CB's being at least 6' tall and run a minimum of a 4.4. He understands the physics and geometry of length when applied to the NFL passing game. They play a zone cover 3 scheme but it's an aggressive style where if a WR enters your zone you play him in tight man coverage while he's in your zone and sometimes beyond.

David Long is 5'11" but he has the speed arm length and vertical ability lacking in Hill. Physical metrics are important and go a long way in determining scheme fit. Long has good agility and has shown a burst coming out of his breaks to match a receiver. He's also physically a bigger guy. Scheme fit is important because it means playing to a players strengths and not to his weaknesses.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
No I also watch how they play. When you watch him in man coverage he struggles against good receivers who run good routes. He doesn't have the burst to match coming out of their breaks. Watch him....he's in off coverage alignment just like Peters. The difference is that a shorter CB has a smaller play radius. In simple terms it means he must play tighter to get the same play coverage compared to a taller CB. Taller CBs like Richard Sherman don't need to be literally in the WR's back pocket. Watch Sherman and he's rarely up against the receiver, because he doesn't have to be. Now add in Troy's 4.55 speed which is marginal at best for a boundary CB trying to cover a WR who runs 4.4. They will make one break to separate then simply outrun him and it's happened more than once. It's why smaller CB's especially with marginal speed generally play in the slot because most Y receivers are the possession receivers only running shorter quicker routes or they play in zone schemes.

What I'm pointing out is that Troy just like Marcus Peters, is a poor fit for this defensive scheme. Put Troy in a different scheme and he will probably thrive. But in this scheme he's hit or miss way too many times for a starting boundary CB.

Look at the Seattle CBs as they have a classic type of secondary. They understand that the trend is for fast tall receivers. So they look for starters in their secondary that are at least 6' tall. I'm sorry but size matters in the secondary as does speed. Case in point the Sea Hawks starting CBS Flowers is 6'3" runs 4.45 and Griffin is 6' and runs a 4.3. Their nickel DB (slot CB) is Amadi and he's 5'9" and runs a 4.5.

In the NFL size and speed matters and there is no getting around it. In 2014 the Chargers drafted Jason Verrett who is barely 5'10" but he ran a 4.3 at the combine so the FO fell in love with him. At the time I told people this guy has got to play inside as a slot CB because boundary CB's take a physical beating. When he was healthy he was great, but by the second year the injuries started to happen. His career has been one injury after another. He played in the same system the Rams use, primarily a press man coverage scheme. Their GM simply didn't understand the difference between playing man in college and the NFL.

Pete Carroll knows this and it's why he insists upon his boundary CB's being at least 6' tall and run a minimum of a 4.4. He understands the physics and geometry of length when applied to the NFL passing game. They play a zone cover 3 scheme but it's an aggressive style where if a WR enters your zone you play him in tight man coverage while he's in your zone and sometimes beyond.

David Long is 5'11" but he has the speed arm length and vertical ability lacking in Hill. Physical metrics are important and go a long way in determining scheme fit. Long has good agility and has shown a burst coming out of his breaks to match a receiver. He's also physically a bigger guy. Scheme fit is important because it means playing to a players strengths and not to his weaknesses.

Troy Hill is hit and miss ....

QB's against Hill in 2019:

26-57, 45.6%, 330 Yards, 5.8 yds/target, 2 td, 2 int, 61.3 rating

Come on man .... you were wrong about Hill, like many were. Get over it. You can't just make up a bunch of stuff in a book-long post and ignore facts.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suggest that we all grab a bottle of bourbon, and drink a bit more. Nothing is getting fixed right now. We can all hope the Rams win out and the Niners lose out, but I am shutting down after game 16 myself. I could give a shyte watching anyone from the NFC West earn the Championship, or girly boy Brady winning the next Lombardi...I have beter things to do that that

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I suggest that we all grab a bottle of bourbon, and drink a bit more. Nothing is getting fixed right now. We can all hope the Rams win out and the Niners lose out, but I am shutting down after game 16 myself. I could give a shyte watching anyone from the NFC West earn the Championship, or girly boy Brady winning the next Lombardi...I have beter things to do that that

Nothing like a bunch of drunk homer Ram fans !! We aren’t all in that group ?

Troy Hill might start this next game against the Niners. As a football fan those rival games are always big when the season has not gone as well as you hope.
Go Rams - beat the Niners

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing like a bunch of drunk homer Ram fans !! We aren’t all in that group ?

Troy Hill might start this next game against the Niners. As a football fan those rival games are always big when the season has not gone as well as you hope.
Go Rams - beat the Niners
It is so nice when a sober fan of the league comes to help correct those of us rubes, who are loyal to one team. Did I say anything else except that I want the Niners to lose? I am watching until the Rams are out. I could give a flying shyte about what happens afterward until the 2020 season, I guess you could wear a different jersey for the playoffs?

Last edited: