Maine’s Jamil Demby builds versatility as Rams’ training camp looms

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Come on Coach - This is not the Fisher days.
Kromer came into The Rams with nothing. He has built this team from ground almost zero.

My post was responding to @BonifayRam about carrying more than 8 offensive linemen, seems, if they did carry let's post 9, one would surmise, somebody might have experience at Center. However, I concur, it would be great if Brandon Hitner, who has great athletic ability or another young offensive linemen showed well in camp and Aaron Kromer is as good as it gets when it comes to an OL Coach, so let's see how this plays out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Points well taken and I could see the Rams adding a veteran that might get released, but that rarely happens (at least anyone good) and according to your premise the Rams might carry an extra offensive lineman because of the inexperience of the line overall, however, if they carry 9, the 9th lineman will be and UDRFA with even less experience then Noteboom, Allen & Demby.

IMO, unless the likes of Brandon Hitner or Vitas Hrynkiewicz for example wows them, I'm not sure they keep 9 and if they keep 9, then somebody with experience at Center one would surmise would be at a premium. It happens when the Colts released Blythe, so it could happen again and I have high hopes for Hitner and you have hope for Vitas Hrynkiewicz, but again both would be coming with not only limited experience, but their college careers being at lesser programs at Villanova & Youngstown State respectively.
Getting a break in the heat yet den:fuelfire:? Our temps have been down here in the deep south highs around 88*today :D.

I am not all that concerned about that 9th OL being an UDFA den. We are assuming that Snead drafted Demby/ Evans/ Edwards will be the top 3 reserves that 9th OL'er will be an OL'er that Kromer does not want to lose to another teams thru the PS team.

The addition of veteran OL'er with starting experience would be my top happy thought(y). But the value of healthy experienced OL is up there close to top-level in today's NFL. One reason we are in a weakened situation in our 2019 version OL. There is always a possibility of discovering a WWC small dinky Austin Blythe type interior OL'er IF any NFL team this season has undergone an OL scheme change to a primary Power Blocking scheme....I am not aware of any ....are you?

Kromer is now dealing with an unusual large amount of unknowns involving his OL cadre. Major amount of work will need to be accomplished by Kromer/Dickerson in a short period. Kromer is dealing with a heavy amount of rookies. Six rookies, 4 of which were UDFA's ...all will undergo an uptick of time under the microscope. The other 3 nonstarters Demby/ Neary & Kolone should have a large step up on the rookies due to the experience of last year. I know you do not like the past action of Aaron Neary, but he must have something to offer Kromer now & in the future due to the fact he is still on the roster after two big negative events in his past along with his very weak one game start perfromance.

Of these three Neary has the most experience having started an NFL gm & was active for a playoff game. Neary has been under Kromer/Dickerson tutelage since the beginning of the 2017 regular season assigned to the Rams Practice Squad. Neary also has the experience of having periods of time on the Eagles & Browns teams. Kolone has the experience & benefit of starting for 8 games @ center last season for the Alliance of American Football/San Diego Fleet under HC Mike Martz.

den you brought up center Vitas Hrynkiewicz who has a few pluses & a few negatives he will have to deal in TC & Preseason. VH past history has been only @ 1 position however Kromer is sure to be looking for a back up center next season. VH competition will come from Neary & Kolone for that future back up center roster position. I believe VH will hold his own in camp @ OC.

Brandon Hitner is a Super Sleeper who has only 18 college gms under his belt. He does offer up versatility though he might be able to play all five OL post at differing degrees. Hitner will have an early uphill battle in camp due to his college inexperience. Hitner's best bet to be some kind of Ram after the regular season begins is to grind it out hard for the swing OG position with emergency OC abilities. I need to remind myself that scouts have stated numerous times that Hitner's football IQ is off the charts....Kromer loves smart OL'ers.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Brandon Hitner is a Super Sleeper who has only 18 college gms under his belt. He does offer up versatility though he might be able to play all five OL post at differing degrees. Hitner will have an early uphill battle in camp due to his college inexperience. Hitner's best bet to be some kind of Ram after the regular season begins is to grind it out hard for the swing OG position with emergency OC abilities. I need to remind myself that scouts have stated numerous times that Hitner's football IQ is off the charts....Kromer loves smart OL'ers.

I have high hopes for him, can't help being smart with a fine Northeastern Education! Love the heat, BTW, bring it on.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Before his shoulder (2018) injury, David Edwards was regarded as a fringe first-round prospect to top 20 pick.

And IMO, will be the future RG sooner rather than later!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
of left side starter, he may be better suited at LT
train

That's an excellent point as he has quick feet being a former QB, however, I strongly believe when Whit retires, Noteboom will move to LT and I like Boom's makeup there, he never panics. Edwards is still a pup when it comes to the offensive line and will have to work on his technique, Bobby Evans has played LT at the highest level, but again, we have to see how this plays out in training camp.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Before the beginning of the regular season Kromer needs to have secured:

#1- A 2019 Reserve Swing OG who will be active game day ready to start in place of Noteboom or Blythe. This OG will be groomed to be a 2020 starter @ one of two vacant OG posts.

Prospective candidates:
Jamil Demby
Bobby Evans
David Edwards
Chandler Brewer
Brandon Hitner
Jeremiah Kolone

#2- A 2019 Reserve Swing OT. This new OL'er will have to provide large amounts of Andrew Whitworth responsibilities during HD weekly practices. This OL'er will get an HD amount of work with the first unit through-out entire season. He will be expected to be an active game day back up to both OT positions. Finding another Noteboom who can swing to either side is extremely difficult.

Prospective candidates:
Matt Kaskey
Jamil Demby
Bobby Evans

#3- A 2019 Reserve OG/OC. Versatile enough to play the three interior OL positions. This interior OL'er will be groomed to replace OG Austin Blythe & the role he plays this season.

Prospective candidates:
Aaron Neary
Brandon Hitner
Jeremiah Kolone
Vitas Hrynkiewic

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
#2- A 2019 Reserve Swing OT. This new OL'er will have to provide large amounts of Andrew Whitworth responsibilities during HD weekly practices. This OL'er will get an HD amount of work with the first unit through-out entire season. He will be expected to be an active game day back up to both OT positions. Finding another Noteboom who can swing to either side is extremely difficult.

Prospective candidates:
Matt Kaskey
Jamil Demby
Bobby Evans
Darkhorse canidate - Matt Kaskey is a large, powerful lineman who plays to his size 6-7 325.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
W

Prospective candidates:
Matt Kaskey
Jamil Demby
Bobby Evans
Darkhorse - Matt Kaskey is a large, explosive/powerful lineman who plays to his size. We'll see.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
W
Darkhorse - Matt Kaskey is a large, explosive/powerful lineman who plays to his size. We'll see.
NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Matt Kaskey, OT, Dartmouth College

Screen-Shot-2019-01-14-at-6.14.32-PM.png

Matt Kaskey of Dartmouth is the meanest offensive lineman you have not heard of (Photo courtesy of Dartmouth)

Name: Matt Kaskey

• Height: 6’7”

• Weight: 325

• Position: Left Tackle

• College: Dartmouth College

• Twitter: @mattkaskey78

Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?

• I grew up in Winnetka, Illinois, which is just north of Chicago. I love the neighborhood I grew up in. There were a few families on my street that my siblings and I would play with every day after school and on the weekends. We would play backyard football, basketball, basically anything you could imagine. That’s where I developed my love for competition and sports.

List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?

• Film Study: if you don’t know what you’re doing your strength and speed doesn’t help you

Strength and Conditioning: Especially at offensive line, you have to be able to play every offensive snap without getting blown back or thrown off a block.

Practice: I hate ranking this last because it is still incredibly important. You need to practice to keep your technique and mind sharp. Without it you are not able to react as well in games.

What do you worry about, and why?

• I worry about being overlooked due to my level of competition.

Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?

• Early in my college career I failed to focus on off the field issues like stretching, nutrition, and sleep. This led to decreased performance on the field and in the weight room. I reacted by reading more about the effects of nutrition, sleep, and stretching on athletic performance, and then adjusting my habits to maximize my potential.

What do your teammates say is your best quality?

• Communication. Whether on the field, in the weight room, or in the locker room, getting everyone one the same page and in a positive mindset is something I do well.

Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?

• Folarin Orimolade. He was an outside linebacker that graduated two years ago. Though I never played against him in game, it was always fun trying to get the best of him

What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?

• I would go into management consulting.

Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?

• Room, it calms me down to go home and wake up to a clean, neat room.

If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?

• One family member. It is selfish of me, but my family has done so much for me that I couldn’t turn my back on them in that situation. Loyalty is essential to me.

If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?

• Will Hunting. Smartest guy ever, good group of friends, and he’s a pretty good looking guy.

Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?

• Academically adjusting to Dartmouth was very difficult. You come in thinking it will be just like high school where you can succeed without doing too much work, but the first few weeks show you how wrong that is. I had to reevaluate my study habits and time management skills in order to do well. It took a while but I gre a lot from it.

What is your most embarrassing moment?

• The first time my little brother beat me in FIFA. I think about that every time I’m lying in my bed at night.

What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?

• The last play of my senior year. The entire offensive line and a few other guys all jumped in a pile of snow after we scored a touchdown. I’ll remember that forever.

What song best describes your work ethic?

• Split – Tiesto

What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?

• Preparation.

If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?

• This is a tough one. There are a lot of people I can think of. I have to go with Ernest Hemmingway. Not only would he have very interesting things to say, but it seems like he would be a fun guy to hang around.

If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?

• The Pit.

Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?

• I’d rather not speak about other players.

Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?

• Obviously both, but if forced to choose only one I would rather be liked because respect through fear is empty.

What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?

• Again, I’d rather not speak about other players.

Do you love to win, or hate to lose?

• Love to win.

Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?

• My parents. They raised me to be the man that I am today and I appreciate all the effort they put into my development. Without them I wouldn’t be in this position and I hope to be like them some day.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/01/matt-kaskey/

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO the SB loss was mainly due to a OL that gave a weak overall performance.

Agreed Boni. And it's interesting looking at our line now, how while we know it is going to miss Saff's power the overall unit might well be better due to not having a physical weak link at Center.

Of course Blythe might still be a guy teams can focus on, but IMO he's going to get some challenge thrown his way from the depth chart.

Still feel like Evans' feet will have them giving him a lot of LT looks in camp. It's crucial to see whether they have someone who might be able to work up to that level, and he's their best candidate since Boom will be busy excelling at LG. If not, then it's going to be Boom or someone they draft next year and when you need to draft an LT to start that means a pretty high pick is required. So hopefully Evans or someone else shows well.

Edwards I still think is going to shine on the interior. He's very strong when he gets his hands on the defender and moves well for his size so I have to believe in the smaller area of guard play he should excel rather quickly. IMO he will be one of the guys on the depth chart they throw in there at RG to make Blythe sweat.

Kaskey, Hitner, and Hrynkiewic are pretty exciting bottom roster competition too btw. This is going to be one of the best OL competition years we've seen in camp, especially considering that this is a Super Bowl contending roster.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's an excellent point as he has quick feet being a former QB, however, I strongly believe when Whit retires, Noteboom will move to LT and I like Boom's makeup there, he never panics. Edwards is still a pup when it comes to the offensive line and will have to work on his technique, Bobby Evans has played LT at the highest level, but again, we have to see how this plays out in training camp.

Just from looking at his college videos, I think he is more of a guard. He seems like an excellent fit.
Bobby Evens gets out of his block quick. He is really is mechanical . He pulls really well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Getting a break in the heat yet den:fuelfire:? Our temps have been down here in the deep south highs around 88*today :D.

I am not all that concerned about that 9th OL being an UDFA den. We are assuming that Snead drafted Demby/ Evans/ Edwards will be the top 3 reserves that 9th OL'er will be an OL'er that Kromer does not want to lose to another teams thru the PS team.

The addition of veteran OL'er with starting experience would be my top happy thought(y). But the value of healthy experienced OL is up there close to top-level in today's NFL. One reason we are in a weakened situation in our 2019 version OL. There is always a possibility of discovering a WWC small dinky Austin Blythe type interior OL'er IF any NFL team this season has undergone an OL scheme change to a primary Power Blocking scheme....I am not aware of any ....are you?

Kromer is now dealing with an unusual large amount of unknowns involving his OL cadre. Major amount of work will need to be accomplished by Kromer/Dickerson in a short period. Kromer is dealing with a heavy amount of rookies. Six rookies, 4 of which were UDFA's ...all will undergo an uptick of time under the microscope. The other 3 nonstarters Demby/ Neary & Kolone should have a large step up on the rookies due to the experience of last year. I know you do not like the past action of Aaron Neary, but he must have something to offer Kromer now & in the future due to the fact he is still on the roster after two big negative events in his past along with his very weak one game start perfromance.

Of these three Neary has the most experience having started an NFL gm & was active for a playoff game. Neary has been under Kromer/Dickerson tutelage since the beginning of the 2017 regular season assigned to the Rams Practice Squad. Neary also has the experience of having periods of time on the Eagles & Browns teams. Kolone has the experience & benefit of starting for 8 games @ center last season for the Alliance of American Football/San Diego Fleet under HC Mike Martz.

den you brought up center Vitas Hrynkiewicz who has a few pluses & a few negatives he will have to deal in TC & Preseason. VH past history has been only @ 1 position however Kromer is sure to be looking for a back up center next season. VH competition will come from Neary & Kolone for that future back up center roster position. I believe VH will hold his own in camp @ OC.

Demby had to see the writing on the wall.

Here is my take quick.
1.the young Badger will be an interesting development.I think he stays on the right side.
Demby not at RTcat all.

2.Demby , I’m not sure his space ?. We have had debates over the years.Right now your spot on with more knowledge .Want to get to TC a couple times this week.Damn it will go quick.

3.Bobby Evans ? Will be interesting where Kromer plays everyone.Will see who emerges as LT ?? What’s Demby Comp ??

4.Kolone ??? This is where Demby see’s the writing on the wall. Kolone got that nice game time experience. That was priceless for most of those players. There is not much game time around.His development could surprising.Demby is quicker than him big time.
Center will be a test ?

5. Yeah -will be interesting how many snaps Demby really gets & where ??

6. Now about that we had about Saffold ???
Last season he was taking just about ZERO snaps at LT especially during preseason??? ! When Whitworth went down Noteboom went to play LT like I said would happen.Does Demby & others get those reps at LT ??

7.Adding , I will be really curious to see the offense line rotations.I saw that Williams out played Demby during TC. Still believe that even in preseason games.My take is Kromer is he will find the fit & upside as he can. The younger guys will have the advantage. Demby contract??? What now ??? Vs rookies???

8. What part does Zach play this TC. First year he was running drills . Keeping his dad on spot. Last season he was one on one with Demby a couple times. He was really helping him on his technique.It was interesting watching him teach him how to block in space.

9.Demby struggled wit snap counts bad last TC . Noteboom as well. I yelled pretty bad a couple times at them.The practice was moving way to fast for them. Rookies this year ?? Will see?? Kromer & his young breeding farm of Hogs or in Cali (???) I’d say ( Texas- Steers) or Cattle !!

Peace

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Most likely Blythe will stat the season unless someone is overwhelming in training camp, but keep an eye on David Edwards of Wisconsin too. He has the feet and power to be a Guard and I can envision a Badger right side for the Los Angeles Rams.

:coach:Here's the newest info on your favorite new OL'er den;)

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...ster-preview-ol-david-edwards-nfl-depth-chart

2019 Los Angeles Rams roster preview: OL David Edwards beefed up
The Rams invested in another Wisconsin right tackle. What position will Edwards ultimately up playing as a pro?

By Skye Sverdlin@Skyeattolah Jul 23, 2019, 12:00pm CDT
usa_today_11278500.0.jpg
Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports
Los Angeles Rams OL David Edwards, aka Rob Havenstein 2 (RH2), will initially be the understudy at right tackle.

In all seriousness, other than being a big ol’ right tackle from the University of Wisconsin, David Edwards and Rob Havenstein aren’t really the same player.

As a former high school quarterback and tight end, Edwards will initially rely on his feet and ability to get to the second level of defenses as opposed to his strength like Havenstein. Edwards does a pretty good job of controlling defenders with his long arms but will need to develop some man-strength to be a hit in the NFL. If Offensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator/Co-Offensive Coordinator Aaron Kromer can help nurture Edward’s technique, the 2019 NFL Draft 5th-round pick could end up being a part of the Rams’ offensive line for many seasons to come.

Position Battle
While technically a right tackle, the Rams will cross train Edwards at the two tackle and guard positions to see where Edwards fits best. This is a similar approach to how the team prepared Joseph Noteboom a year ago, and Noteboom is now projected as the team’s starting left guard. Of course, that isn’t cemented as the Rams now have solid understudies in Edwards and 2019 3rd-round selection Bobby Evans.

At the guard positions, projects Jeremiah Kolone (roster preview), Chandler Brewer (roster preview), Brandon Hitner (roster preview) and Jamil Demby (roster preview) will all battle to provide depth.

Expectations
Edwards’ ability to play tackle should help him make the cut. Behind starters Andrew Whitworth and Havenstein, the only potential tackles on the roster are Noteboom, Evans, and Edwards all of whom should make the active roster.

Chances of Making The Final Roster (8/10)
The path is there. Be versatile. Lift weights. Study.

It’ll be interesting to see who emerges out of Noteboom, Evans and Edwards down the line. Noteboom looked pretty good in spots last season and had a head start, but if two of the three can be solid players the Rams will be feeling good about things.