Mailbag: Tracking Greg Robinson's development, future at OT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Tracking Greg Robinson's development, future at tackle
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...eg-robinsons-development-and-future-at-tackle

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The offseason is here for the Los Angeles Rams and now that we know where they will be playing their home games for the long-term, things have settled down enough to spend our weekends answering a few of your Twitter questions.

As always, you can find me on Twitter @nwagoner and fire away with any Rams-related questions you might have. Please use hashtag #RamsMail so I can see them.

On to your questions.

Dennis Sullivan ‎@drsully62
Q: With Greg Robinson's slow development, what are the chances that they go after a stud LT in the draft or a FA & put him at G?

@nwagoner: The chances of that are very slim, actually. The Rams still believe in Greg Robinson and they were encouraged by his improvement near the end of the season. General manager Les Snead talked about it at the combine last week and pointed to the fact that Robinson had a long way to go when he arrived and they want to see that through. So, it's a safe bet that Robinson will be the team's starting left tackle when the season begins. Now, with that said, I was also told the Rams intend to keep Rodger Saffold despite some speculation that he could be released. Part of the reason for that is because they don't view his cap number as too cumbersome. But the other part is that Saffold is the most qualified to step in at left tackle should Robinson get injured or struggle in 2016. Clearly, the Rams hope it doesn't come to that, but Saffold is a sort of Robinson insurance in case he doesn't turn his potential into consistent production this season.

Victor Aldaco ‎@VAS039
Q: Any chance the Rams go after Raven's G Kelechi and cut injury prone Saffold? Would he be a fit for the Rams?

@nwagoner: I just don't see the Rams spending big money on a free agent offensive lineman at this point. Really, I don't expect the Rams to spend big money on any outside free agents as they attempt to re-sign their own guys plus some of the young defenders like Michael Brockers and Alec Ogletree, who they want to keep around for the long haul. If somehow a legitimate quarterback option shook loose, I could see that changing, but it's important to view this offseason as one for the Rams to secure the players they have invested so much time in developing rather than one where they look to bring in a lot of new faces. As mentioned above, the Rams intend to keep Saffold, and though I suppose that could change if the right opportunity presented itself, I think the Rams are content to keep rolling with what they have. Entering next season, they have Saffold, Garrett Reynolds, Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal and Jamon Brown as candidates to start at guard. It's safe to say they believe they can find at least two good regulars out of that group.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
From my observations I thought that from week 11 on GRob started to his climb out of a serious downward funk. It just happens to be in concert with a new left side workmate...Garrett Reynolds. From the start of pre season on Grob worked that left side in starts with veteran OG Rodger Saffold & rookie Jamon Brown and what was seen on the field was NOT GOOD.

After the injuries to Saffold & Brown & the insertion of Reynolds things changed. It could also be tied with the change @ mobile quicker release QB too. Chances are both worked towards the upward trend IMO. While I am close to sure that Case Keenum is not the answer to our QB issues I ping strong that the calming veteran style of Garrett Reynolds just works with well GRob. Maybe other members have opinion close to mine:bueller:.

Another thing we should see upcoming in TC & pre season is where Rob Boras & Paul Boudreau will add in strong competition to push GRob in his starting post. Last season we saw none of that. That competition will come from two other left OT's in Isaiah Battle & Darrell Williams. I think this new element will assist GRob in getting better too. If Saffold is retained then he will add to the power of that competition into a frenzy level.

In conclusion if the picture that I hope I have painted here is close to what will be then should we not be much less concerned about the GRob issue in 2016?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I may have a minor disagreement with Wagoner regarding the second question above.

Yeah, the Rams will have a full court press working to resign their own key FA's.

And I agree that a top FA or draft pick is unlikely for the OL.

Where I nitpick a little bit is regarding the likelihood of major FA on outside FA's.

I don't see top tier signings (other than maybe a Bradford type signing), especially if our own guys are resigned, but I can definitely see some 2nd tier FA's signed, perhaps a small handful. Particularly if they fail to resign our own guys.

The individual contracts won't be earth shaking, but the total might run up to close to our $60 million cap availability.

Some will occur after the draft to plug needs that were missed, of course.

My point is that almost all of our $60 million cap dollars are gonna be spent one way or another. So, to me, that constitutes major FA signings.

jap

Legend
My point is that almost all of our $60 million cap dollars are gonna be spent one way or another. So, to me, that constitutes major FA signings.

Not necessarily FA signings. The signings may come via trades or high end cuts too.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bonifay, I saw it too. You go back and look at clips of the OL before the snap and you see Reynolds pointing and talking to GRob, helping with his assignment and potential blitz. You see them together talking with Boo and the I-pad on the sideline when the
D was on the field. Huge improvement from GRob with Reynolds next to him. No false starts or holding calls the last 4 games.They should keep it that way and have Brown at RG. Saffold, Wichmann and Donnal off the bench.
Reynolds is average at best but he's experienced and smart and was a huge improvement to GRob.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
From my observations I thought that from week 11 on GRob started to his climb out of a serious downward funk. It just happens to be in concert with a new left side workmate...Garrett Reynolds. From the start of pre season on Grob worked that left side in starts with veteran OG Rodger Saffold & rookie Jamon Brown and what was seen on the field was NOT GOOD.

After the injuries to Saffold & Brown & the insertion of Reynolds things changed. It could also be tied with the change @ mobile quicker release QB too. Chances are both worked towards the upward trend IMO. While I am close to sure that Case Keenum is not the answer to our QB issues I ping strong that the calming veteran style of Garrett Reynolds just works with well GRob. Maybe other members have opinion close to mine:bueller:.

Another thing we should see upcoming in TC & pre season is where Rob Boras & Paul Boudreau will add in strong competition to push GRob in his starting post. Last season we saw none of that. That competition will come from two other left OT's in Isaiah Battle & Darrell Williams. I think this new element will assist GRob in getting better too. If Saffold is retained then he will add to the power of that competition into a frenzy level.

In conclusion if the picture that I hope I have painted here is close to what will be then should we not be much less concerned about the GRob issue in 2016?

From the time Boras took over the entire line started to play nearly mistake free football. They were looking good. I credit Boras to some extent because they were not false starting like they were previously and Boras is a meticulous detail oriented guy. I can't help but think he had something to do with it, whether it was by simplifying things or what.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
From the time Boras took over the entire line started to play nearly mistake free football. They were looking good. I credit Boras to some extent because they were not false starting like they were previously and Boras is a meticulous detail oriented guy. I can't help but think he had something to do with it, whether it was by simplifying things or what.

That's a good catch, Elmgrove.

Well done, sir!

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, I just hope the Isaiah Battle pick up pans out. You have to think those guys saw something in the guy or did they just want to create more competition in camp this year? Am I wrong to think that Battle is going to be brought in as a guard?

I'd also like to point out, if the Rams spend for a free agent OL or draft an OL high in this draft, it speaks volumes about how the Rams evaluate talent on the offensive line.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Man, I just hope the Isaiah Battle pick up pans out. You have to think those guys saw something in the guy or did they just want to create more competition in camp this year? Am I wrong to think that Battle is going to be brought in as a guard?

I'd also like to point out, if the Rams spend for a free agent OL or draft an OL high in this draft, it speaks volumes about how the Rams evaluate talent on the offensive line.

The Rams got good play from Williams at OT in preseason. They also have Saffold. Maybe the best case scenario is for Williams or Battle to get to showcase improved talents in Preseason as starters to lure teams interested in trading for a good young OLT. Would be interesting if the Rams could turn the 5th round pick they used on Battle into a 2nd round pick. Or the UDFA signing of Williams into a 2nd or third round pick. I keep thinking the Battle pick was just an investment that they hoped to cash in on down the road.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I'm just not worried about the OL this time around. No unit can handle the types of injuries this one has suffered, so gotta hope they're due for some good luck on that front. GRob and Havenstein should give the Rams a great bookend duo of OTs, and they have all sorts of depth inside. I'd love to see them add a guy like Boehm in the draft, but even just going ahead with Barnes should be fine.

And I agree with @Elmgrovegnome that Boras seemed to finally give them someone who can install a gameplan and translate it to the players so they can play fast. I'm cautiously optimistic with him, where I think if they load the WR group the way I expect them to his offense is going to take off.

I want QB, WR, and maybe some TE talent brought in. Do that, and this team should be good to go, IMO.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I'd like to see the Rams draft a true Center in the 3rd to 5th round range. Other than that, they should be in pretty good shape on the Oline barring another crazy season of injuries.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'd like to see the Rams draft a true Center in the 3rd to 5th round range. Other than that, they should be in pretty good shape on the Oline barring another crazy season of injuries.
I agree about the Center, but I'd like to also see the Rams get better depth at OG!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the Rams do not resign Tim Barnes back this OL will surly begin to regress back into early 2015 form simple as that.Drafting a center would skyrocket up the need charts but never the less he would still be a rookie center which is almost as bad as starting a rookie @ QB.
Ref. Battle being a possible OG? Battle's body is what most NFL teams desire in their Left OT's. 6-7 290 extra long arms, big hands, quick feet & a much slimmer frame than an interior OL demands. I do not see Battle getting any action at any of those 3 interior OL posts. If I were to bet we will see him playing at both OT posts but primarily @ the left side.

Now I would say that Darrell Williams would be the OL'er who could move inward to left OG TC & pre season. However Boudreau would appear to be fat @ left OG's on the roster. 2nd yr player Jamon Brown leans heavy to the left side @ OG & performs much better @ left OG. Garrett Reynold just gave the best performance in his entire 7 NFL career @ Left OG in 8 starts @ left OG after former starts @ ORG & ORT. I would think that if the regular season started now Reynolds would beat out Brown he was that good & consistent. Then there is 6 yr vet Saffold who has started mostly on the left side. Saffold was Boudreau's favorite choice & pick @ left OG. Saffold to me is the perfect OL'er to push GRob to his ceiling @ OLT why would you not use Saffold to get GRob there?

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
LT: Robinson, Saffold
LG: Reynolds. Donnell
C: Barnes, Rhaney
RG: Brown: Wichman
RT: Havenstein, Williams or Battle

Pretty solid depth chart IMO. I would go Reynolds over Saffold at LG because you cant trust saffold to be a starter even though thats paying alot for a bench player. I Don't mind that considering how many injuries we had last year and how young we are. He would be nice versatile depth. Reynolds outplayed him anyway and settled Robinson down.

I would let Brown and Wichman compete at RG they both had their moments and hopefully Brown is healthy. Williams and Battle would compete for the backup RT spot and hopefully we could sneak the looser on the practice Squad

fearsomefour

Legend

Robinson/Reynolds/Barnes/Wichmann/Havenstein....
This is our starting Oling now (assuming Barnes is resigned). Based on what was happening the second half of the season. Brown struggled more than I expected, he just did not look good to me period. Saffold was not his old self, except for the injury part of that equation.
So, who knows?
With Wichmann, Brown, Reynolds, Saffold (maybe), Donnal and maybe Williams in the mix at G the Rams should be able to be 4 deep in that position. I think there is nearly zero chance the Rams add anything to the Oline, in particular if Saffold stays on the roster.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Robinson/Reynolds/Barnes/Wichmann/Havenstein....
This is our starting Oling now (assuming Barnes is resigned). Based on what was happening the second half of the season. Brown struggled more than I expected, he just did not look good to me period. Saffold was not his old self, except for the injury part of that equation.
So, who knows?
With Wichmann, Brown, Reynolds, Saffold (maybe), Donnal and maybe Williams in the mix at G the Rams should be able to be 4 deep in that position. I think there is nearly zero chance the Rams add anything to the Oline, in particular if Saffold stays on the roster.
Your point on Brown is correct. Brown started in pre season @ ORG. Then Boudreau moved him back to his natural left side to start there when the regular season opened. Then after game 4, Boudreau flip Brown back to right OG. That's 3 moves there all before the 5th game of the NFL season?:shocked: Brown was a very good OLT in college most all his starts were on the left side. Brown played much better early than later now we know why. Am I wrong to strongly suggest that Boudreau keep Brown @ Left OG and leave him there where he can be MOST successful ??????

The 2015 offense began rough for our new OC (later fired) our rookie Brown & inconsistent Grob was a terrible situation all-together. IMO the LEFT OG composition should be between two OL'ers....Reynolds & Brown mixed in with Darrell Williams. That's 3 OL'er right there.

The Right OG should be between Wichmann & Donnal and since Saffold has now been retained & can figure into the mix as the game day reserve but not as starter. That's 3 there.

View: https://twitter.com/nwagoner/status/702941094636421121

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5856/rodger-saffold

The OLT should have four prospects (Robinson/Saffold/Williams/Battle) & the ORT should four also (Havenstein/Donnal/Battle/Saffold) Its the center of our OL is where the issue is.
Rhaney/Folkerts/Kush should worry all of us.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
For the first time in many years, I like the looks of the Rams OL going into this next season. Lots of youth with vet depth. What it now needs most is continuity. The Rams have to settle on a starting O line in pre season and KEEP IT THERE! These guys need repititions AS A UNIT. GRob is coming around. Garrett Reynolds was solid at LG and excellent as a coach next to GRob. Barnes will have to do, and should be better with an off season in the weight room and with the strength and condition program. RG is the only position on the line that maybe they alternate. Brown and Wichmann, then settle on one and go with that the rest of the season. Havenstien was a great draft pick, guy is solid if not spectacular. Battle is still a work in progress and will probably start the season on the practice squad. Saffold can play all along the OL and with his injury history coming off the bench will suit the rams best. Donnal and Williams add depth.

Rams have the makings of a very young but good OL, the prospects for an outstanding OL the Rams have had in years. I have a feeling this OL is going to be a bright spot this coming season.
And I'm with you Bony, center is the weak link in the Rams OL, but they're stuck with Barnes another season. they clearly need to draft a center. Wiesnewski is not the answer either not much of an upgrade over Barns. Alex Mack would be great but probably cost too much, and Rams have lousy luck with vet FA's.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I remember early in the season we were running quite a few zone blocking plays. Did you notice if we got away from that and went to primarily power blocking?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This young OL is full of serious power blocking types. Exception would be our small quick now starting center Demetrius Rhaney 6-2 300. When you look at the core unit we have Robinson/Saffold/Reynolds/Brown/Havenstein/Donnal & Wichmann you average out a 6-6 321 pound monster.