Mailbag: Prioritizing the Rams' many free agents

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Prioritizing the Rams' many free agents
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/26995/prioritizing-the-rams-many-free-agents

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The offseason is here for the Los Angeles Rams and now that we know where they'll be playing their home games for the long term, things have settled down enough to spend our weekends answering a few of your Twitter questions.

As always, you can find me on Twitter @nwagoner and fire away with any Rams-related questions you might have. Please use hashtag #RamsMail so I can see them.

On to your questions.

David Carpenter ‎@carpy45
Q: it seems to me Rams have enough cap space to resign most of their ufas. Which ones will they really target?

@nwagoner: It's a good question and you're right, the Rams will have more than enough salary cap space to keep most of the free agents they want to keep especially after Friday's flurry of moves. However, it's important to note that a lot of teams are going to be flush with cap space so it's fair to expect some players to get more than you might think or more than the Rams would be comfortable paying. I particularly could see that happening in the case of one of their cornerbacks. Still, if you're looking at the Rams' top priorities, the first five players I think they want to bring back are (in no particular order) Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Mark Barron, Rodney McLeod and William Hayes. I think it's realistic that Eugene Sims also could return. Also, that isn't to say the Rams won't attempt to retain guys such as Cory Harkey, Brian Quick, Greg Zuerlein and Tim Barnes, just that the initial five are probably the highest priority. That also doesn't account for restricted free agents. The Rams have more say in those matters, as I expect them to make sure they keep quarterback Case Keenum, for example.

Victor Aldaco ‎@VAS039
Q: Is re-signing Nick Fairly a top priority? Or will he demand high $ in FA? Thoughts on DE CL and his future with the Rams?

@nwagoner: Obviously, Nick Fairley is a prominent name I didn't mention above, but I did so because I thought this was a question worth addressing separately. Fairley is an interesting case. He signed a one-year "prove it" deal with the Rams last year in hopes that it would lead to a lot of production and a big money, long-term deal this year. What followed was a season in which Fairley was much better than the numbers would indicate based on his consistent disruption in the middle of the defensive line. That disruption didn't lead to a lot statistically but, for what it's worth, he earned high marks from grading services such as Pro Football Focus. Perhaps just as important, Fairley proved that he had the discipline to get in good shape and stay that way throughout the season. Answering those questions will help his cause on the open market as well. So while I think the Rams would love to bring Fairley back and would do so if the price is right, I also think it's probably unlikely that they can unless his market is surprisingly weak. It's a good year in the draft for defensive tackle, so perhaps teams will wait, but Fairley should draw a good amount of interest. Remember, the Rams also will have to sign Michael Brockers to a long-term contract soon. So while I think the Rams would love to bring Fairley back as part of their rotation, chances are he'll get a more lucrative opportunity elsewhere.

Shoman01

Rookie
Let's see if we can sign Bruce Irvin, if he does not cost more than 7 per year. I read where he is expecting ten though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Prioritizing the Rams' many free agents
By Nick Wagoner
Victor Aldaco ‎@VAS039
Q: Is re-signing Nick Fairly a top priority? Or will he demand high $ in FA? Thoughts on DE CL and his future with the Rams?

@nwagoner: Obviously, Nick Fairley is a prominent name I didn't mention above, but I did so because I thought this was a question worth addressing separately. Fairley is an interesting case. He signed a one-year "prove it" deal with the Rams last year in hopes that it would lead to a lot of production and a big money, long-term deal this year. What followed was a season in which Fairley was much better than the numbers would indicate based on his consistent disruption in the middle of the defensive line. That disruption didn't lead to a lot statistically but, for what it's worth, he earned high marks from grading services such as Pro Football Focus. Perhaps just as important, Fairley proved that he had the discipline to get in good shape and stay that way throughout the season. Answering those questions will help his cause on the open market as well. So while I think the Rams would love to bring Fairley back and would do so if the price is right, I also think it's probably unlikely that they can unless his market is surprisingly weak. It's a good year in the draft for defensive tackle, so perhaps teams will wait, but Fairley should draw a good amount of interest. Remember, the Rams also will have to sign Michael Brockers to a long-term contract soon. So while I think the Rams would love to bring Fairley back as part of their rotation, chances are he'll get a more lucrative opportunity elsewhere.
Now with DT Nick Fairley gone & the pending upcoming UFA questionable return of Brockers @ DT next season at this time the interior DL is looking shaky. If the Rams loose one of their DT's to injury can you name the starter?

In the past when Fisher had issues with a healthy DT..he would insert a Hayes or Sims...but as with Fairley both of them are traveling together in the NFL UFA world tour. I for one would not be surprised if the Rams draft a DL'er with the #1 pick if the top 3 QB's are off the board, in spite of all of our offensive worries & concerns. Bookmark it!

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Now with DT Nick Fairley gone & the pending upcoming UFA questionable return of Brockers @ DT next season at this time the interior DL is looking shaky. If the Rams loose one of their DT's to injury can you name the starter?

In the past when Fisher had issues with a healthy DT..he would insert a Hayes or Sims...but as with Fairley both of them are traveling together in the NFL UFA world tour. I for one would not be surprised if the Rams draft a DL'er with the #1 pick if the top 3 QB's are off the board, in spite of all of our offensive worries & concerns. Bookmark it!
Respectfully disagree @BonifayRam . I think/hope the 1st round pick is a DE.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Double Ditto's!! What would you say to a Really good MLB, like say Reggie Ragland!?
I am not as impressed with Ragland as most of the experts tend to be. Full disclosure, I don't watch a lot of CFB, but tend to watch film of players after the NFL season has ended. I only saw Ragland in 2 games last year, including the championship game. He seemed, to ne8, to often arrive "late to the party". I have not yet selected my personal favorite for MLB but my initial impressions of Rag LA ND is overhyped. That could "evlove" however.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Respectfully disagree @BonifayRam . I think/hope the 1st round pick is a DE.
I don't see where we disagree at all here?? Its a no brainer in my small brain that a DL'er would assist the Rams future greatly.

Lets say that the Rams loose out on the resigning of both UFA Hayes to a new 2016 season & Brockers refuses to sign his extension after 2016, both very possible. Rams need to add a talented NT or LDE.

If a DE like Shag Lawson falls to us it a bargain priced starter @ LDE. If a Buckner were to fall he can play DT & LDE in a 43 defense. If a NT A'Shawn Robinson with ability for a two-gap as a five-technique or anchor at nose tackle were to fall into our hands then the loss of Brockers is moot. We have our 3rd DT now & our future NT in 2017 all at a bargain price.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
So in other words the Rams cannot sign all their FA's that need to be signed and they are continuing to play catch up. I am not getting a good feeling for this upcoming season at all.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I don't see where we disagree at all here?? Its a no brainer in my small brain that a DL'er would assist the Rams future greatly.

Lets say that the Rams loose out on the resigning of both UFA Hayes to a new 2016 season & Brockers refuses to sign his extension after 2016, both very possible. Rams need to add a talented NT or LDE.

If a DE like Shag Lawson falls to us it a bargain priced starter @ LDE. If a Buckner were to fall he can play DT & LDE in a 43 defense. If a NT A'Shawn Robinson with ability for a two-gap as a five-technique or anchor at nose tackle were to fall into our hands then the loss of Brockers is moot. We have our 3rd DT now & our future NT in 2017 all at a bargain price.
Give me N. Spence or K. Dodd at 15 and Rankin with our firstr 2nd round pickt then O the rest of the way as far as I'm concerned. Plentry or WR talent to be had from that point, IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend

I am either resigning Fairley....which will be tough to do or using one of the 2nd round picks on a DT. With Long now long gone resigning Hayes moves way up the priority list. Hayes and his versatility to play inside is useful as well. I am not a huge Sims guy, he is solid and a good depth guy. With Quinn, Donald, Brockers and Hayes the Rams could have a very potent starting four....but, like you said, there is no depth to speak of at all. Long coming back as a rotational guy with Hayes is ideal, but, I imagine Oakland will probably bring him in....just makes too much sense.