Maher career long 63

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
We know he has been a hot mess....

But the punt that effing punt... been haunting me all day.

Go for it or FG please... no damn punt there.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
yeah would have been a 61 yarder
Of course, if he misses, the Lions get a short field to put the game away.

Bad punt also hurt us. Had we pinned them inside the 10, maybe they go more cautious and we get one lat shot.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Probably a go for it moment there, despite the distance.

But definitely go or FG. At the end of the day, if we three and outed Detroit (which is what we would have needed to do to get the ball back with a chance either way), it really doesn't matter where on the field we start. We could have gone from the 10 to FG range in a minute even with no timeouts - so field position doesn't matter a ton there

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That Holding Call was WEAK !! Big Rob was just staying with the play.He’s just working threw the play imo.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Instead of going for it all to a double covered puka the ball should have gone to an open player for shorter yardage so the Rams could take the lead. They only needed a fg to take the lead.

Sometimes playing the percentages is the way to go.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
The lions have been money in the 4 min offense all season which I didn't even think about at the time.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
We lost the moment he punted
I would have punted but at best 12% chance based on 2020-23 situation the same. Since 2020 only 6 completions that got first downs in 4th and 14-16 ... out of 52 tries --- and there were 2 running QBs who also converted ... Stafford wasn't going to do that.

Go for it? Would Stafford have made it work? Maybe.
Kick? Maher is 4 for 4 from 60 or more ... but the league average is 33% since 2012---I picked that year because that is when get the leg came to NFL

Maybe kick the best option?

Punt? Seems like the worst ... Rams did get 3 and out previous drive ... but odds of a 3 and out (and no timeouts) seem pretty low.

Rams likely have analytics for that exact situation ... for the number of time outs, field position and the odds of each "likihood". I am not saying they consulted them or not ... but I'd speculate they picked the option with highest percentage of success ...

And Maher's 60+ record ... is it really valid now? Past is not always prolog.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
From the dejected look on Puka’s face you could tell he felt responsible for dropping the ball in spite of the hold.

We just were not going to win that game no matter how you slice it.

oldnotdead

Legend
It never should have come down to a 61 yard FG. The game was lost when they settled for FGs on 3 redzone possessions. McVay fell back into his pressing mode of playcalling.

This also shows McVay he needs a true pile moving RB for short yardage and inside the 10 yard redzone possessions. He should give Jonah Williams practice as a short yardage RB. Jonah Williams is 6'5" 300lbs and simply a beast. All he would need to do is fall foward and he's got 2 yards, He's got incredible power. Before his draft he thought about going in as a TE because he can handle the ball. Run Jonah twice and you will get 3 yds minimum.

Lance Zierlein said this about him:
"Sled-pusher as drive blocker, creating push with flat-back, rolled hips and churning legs."

C'mon Sean get creative!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would have punted but at best 12% chance based on 2020-23 situation the same. Since 2020 only 6 completions that got first downs in 4th and 14-16 ... out of 52 tries --- and there were 2 running QBs who also converted ... Stafford wasn't going to do that.

Go for it? Would Stafford have made it work? Maybe.
Kick? Maher is 4 for 4 from 60 or more ... but the league average is 33% since 2012---I picked that year because that is when get the leg came to NFL

Maybe kick the best option?

Punt? Seems like the worst ... Rams did get 3 and out previous drive ... but odds of a 3 and out (and no timeouts) seem pretty low.

Rams likely have analytics for that exact situation ... for the number of time outs, field position and the odds of each "likihood". I am not saying they consulted them or not ... but I'd speculate they picked the option with highest percentage of success ...

And Maher's 60+ record ... is it really valid now? Past is not always prolog.
Well - that hold was sort of BS on Big Rob? Anyways The Rams we’re in that situation.

Against The Hags game 1.

Maher FG he made a 48 FG & 36 plus 54

56 yarder blocked & missed a 54 yard FG.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Instead of going for it all to a double covered puka the ball should have gone to an open player for shorter yardage so the Rams could take the lead. They only needed a fg to take the lead.

Sometimes playing the percentages is the way to go.

This. Give a kick a chance… it was the best % option.

After our kicking adventures this season; It would have been crazy if Maher drilled it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This. Give a kick a chance… it was the best % option.

After our kicking adventures this season; It would have been crazy if Maher drilled it.

Also the Lions would have been chasing for a fg instead of a couple of 1st downs. Put the pressure back on them.

Sure the Rams d has wilted under that pressure many times before but it was the best chance for them.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It never should have come down to a 61 yard FG. The game was lost when they settled for FGs on 3 redzone possessions. McVay fell back into his pressing mode of playcalling.

This also shows McVay he needs a true pile moving RB for short yardage and inside the 10 yard redzone possessions. He should give Jonah Williams practice as a short yardage RB. Jonah Williams is 6'5" 300lbs and simply a beast. All he would need to do is fall foward and he's got 2 yards, He's got incredible power. Before his draft he thought about going in as a TE because he can handle the ball. Run Jonah twice and you will get 3 yds minimum.

Lance Zierlein said this about him:
"Sled-pusher as drive blocker, creating push with flat-back, rolled hips and churning legs."

C'mon Sean get creative!
Oh man! What if he would have sent in Wentz when we so close on that first drive on the 6 yard line? With him as a QB sneak? Or trick pass? Do we get 6 yards? I'd like to think we do.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
A lot of what ifs. I thought they shoulda made up their mind to go for it on 4th down and take an easier shorter route for about 7-10 yards. Or a shorter field goal attempt. Asking our defense to get a stop was asking too much.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The lions have been money in the 4 min offense all season which I didn't even think about at the time.
Especially with the way The Rams CB’s -DB’s were playing.

Jordan Fuller is(was) a team Captain for a reason. If you look at his record when healthy,it might be surprising.He helps adjust the defense & DB’s

Colbie Durant - I don’t know? He doesn’t have the size,speed or strength. He has great hands & knack for the ball.He’s good in nickle & dime.Down in & down out not so much.

Kendrick imo will be let go ?He has a lot to prove if The Rams keep him.He is a ME player & Mcvay gets rid of those types.

Spoon ?

We as Rams Fans know how BAD The Rams defense can be!!This team was YOUNG(Byron).I can’t say enough about how BEAUTIFUL this team bonded together as 1.

The NFL stands for not for LONG !! There is a lot of reasons for this. Anyways I wouldn’t get into it.There’s a WHOLE off SEASON!!

The Rams Defense has holes!! I say a High-Bred MLB is what is needed.I know Les Snead will ALWAYS be most impressed with his vision on drafting Alex Ogletree.His whole philosophy is built around that TRUST & GRADING !
Yes he lost on Bobby Wagner,but he knows circling a player & drafting back to get him is what really can separate a draft.I think Sean Mcvay after the Logan Bruss pick Trust Les even more.
-That all said is this team was all heart.Byron Young & Kobie Turner are only going to get better.

Quintin Lake is not the answer,unless there is a sideline to sideline LBER. Watch SF,Ravens & look at there pair of MLB’s. Finding a Queen type along with Smith ?
Dre Greenlaw with a Warner.Ernest Jones is excellent,but his range in zone really lacks depth.Rosenbom is depth.
Funny to think Troy Reeder being hurt was a big deal ? He worked his way into a role player at the least.

Add SpECIAL TEAMS needs a couple fast LBERS(big) who centers & gets by or through a Wall. That’s just my vision & all those passes like that 4th down TD with Hoect 1 on 1 with La-a-hole(porta) .

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Of course, if he misses, the Lions get a short field to put the game away.

Bad punt also hurt us. Had we pinned them inside the 10, maybe they go more cautious and we get one lat shot.
Field position is meaningless at that point.

They don't need to score at that point just get a couple of first downs to run out the clock.

Same as if we punted.