Mack's Dead Horse take on Aaron Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This post is prompted by @Merlin post:

Rich asks whether there are conversations going on between his reps and the Rams to get him signed...

AD's answer: Yes.

Thank God. Hope both sides find a way to make it work.

Okay. Here goes.

I think Aaron Donald is a compulsive competitor and winner. Under Fisher, I think he was beyond frustrated. So much so that while other guys were saying things like "we failed coach" and "we didn't execute", Donald was pretty quiet. That silence spoke volumes. When it came to the new coach, he had a wait and see attitude.

I have speculated based on a few bits of information and things we've all learned about Aaron Donald that the reason he didn't sign this off-season wasn't about the money. Rather, I think his people insisted on a 3-year opt-out clause because Aaron Donald refused to go out like Steven Jackson and so many other Ram greats who withered on the losing vine. So, yeah, sign the big contract, but if it's still a shitshow 3 years from now, he could opt out and gtfo.

So, when I brought up alternatives to Aaron Donald staying, it's not because I wanted him gone. I'm notoriously stingy regarding paying the NFL for anything and Aaron Donald is one of the few guys whose jersey I'm considering buying (waiting for the new unis). I LOVE this guy, his competitive fire, and insistence on dominating.

But... we all may not have a choice. He may go because he and his advisors insist on that clause (or some other equally disqualifying language to the Rams).

The great news, if I may speculate further, is that AD is willing to listen to the Rams now that we are winning and not just winning, but set up to win for a long time. The entire culture changed in a very short period of time.

When AD came back, he made it clear that he would have no conversations about signing until after the season. I figured he'd play angry, almost resentfully angry all season and then try to force a trade.

But McVay and Wade were WAY better than even the drunkest of us Kool-Aid drinkers could hallucinate. The Rams haven't just won, but dominated. They lost 3 of 4 games in ways that showed we just had to learn how to better deal with scheme, execution and each other. Each loss has made us stronger.

510d1cc3fffdf45258807875cdb0ebd0--lego-figures-obi-wan.jpg

The fact that AD's agents are even ENGAGED with the Rams prior to the end of the season is a FANTASTIC sign.

I think he earned even more money and his cap hit next year is gonna make Drew Brees seem like a bargain, but he'll be a Ram for life.

So, yet another effect, not side-effect, but direct effect of McVay's success is that Aaron Donald may actually sign that long-term contract we all want him to sign.

And if you saw AD out there on Sunday, he was having FUN. He plays angry, but you could tell he wants to keep playing with these guys.

I want this to happen so badly, but this tidbit, if true, is the first sign that AD may actually sign the long-term deal.

And that, my friends, may be an even bigger victory than what just happened in Seattle.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I think Aaron Donald is a compulsive competitor and winner. Under Fisher, I think he was beyond frustrated. So much so that while other guys were saying things like "we failed coach" and "we didn't execute", Donald was pretty quiet. That silence spoke volumes. When it came to the new coach, he had a wait and see attitude.

Compulsive competitor describes Fisher as well.

Reason Donald was pretty quiet is because Donald is pretty quiet...

He doesn't do weekly press interviews. He rarely does locker room post game interviews.

The only press room interview that I've seen Donald do, is the one when he reported to training camp and it was the least "media savvy" interview I've seen in a while.

It was awkward.

He's not a talker.

Make of that what you will....I'm not terribly invested in it either way.

I do want Aaron Donald signed and I do agree with you that AD is having FUN.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So, when I brought up alternatives to Aaron Donald staying, it's not because I wanted him gone. I'm notoriously stingy regarding paying the NFL for anything and Aaron Donald is one of the few guys whose jersey I'm considering buying (waiting for the new unis). I LOVE this guy, his competitive fire, and insistence on dominating.

But... we all may not have a choice. He may go because he and his advisors insist on that clause (or some other equally disqualifying language to the Rams).

We see things similarly I think. I have always wanted them to sign AD, but that doesn't mean at any cost. Team has to come first is all, and if the Rams are willing to get it done early and take care of him he should help them structure it a bit for lower cap hit in certain years.

I think he'll come in around $17-18M, somewhere in there, but for long years with a ginormous signing bonus. That's my hope at least; I'd have no problem going long years with him since he takes such good care of himself and gives full effort in every aspect of his job.

But if for whatever reason things go south, well, I'll deal with it. Just hope it doesn't come to that.

Ram65

Legend
Well Mac, I can see Donald signing a big deal starting next season. You could see how he got along with his teammates during the beat down of the Hags. The winning is a good reason for Donald to want to stay as you stated. The Rams will shell out a ton of money but, they want assurances he will be a Rams for many years. They will work out the details.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well Mac, I can see Donald signing a big deal starting next season. You could see how he got along with his teammates during the beat down of the Hags. The winning is a good reason for Donald to want to stay as you stated. The Rams will shell out a ton of money but, they want assurances he will be a Rams for many years. They will work out the details.

Well, I don't think the issue was money. I always figured that they'd figure out the money.

I think it was that Donald was already tired, tired, tired of losing...

So, he'd rather sign a big contract now, because...duh, but he wasn't gonna sign up for 6 years of losing.

I think he can see that this is the place to be going forward and will be willing to sign a longer-term deal here without whatever was causing the distance (I thought it was an opt-out clause, but we may never know)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Donald should be used to losing. He played for Pitt!

Has there ever been an opt out clause in the NFL? I don't remember any and believe that the rest of the league would throw a fit if the Rams open that can of worms. Goodell might nix the deal.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Donald should be used to losing. He played for Pitt!

Has there ever been an opt out clause in the NFL? I don't remember any and believe that the rest of the league would throw a fit if the Rams open that can of worms. Goodell might nix the deal.

Aaaaand, that's why I think he didn't sign.

The Rams weren't gonna give that kind of language and Donald was willing to sign the big contract, but wanted a chance to re-evaluate after 3 years.

Agree, that I don't think it's been done in the NFL and that the owners would pitch a fit if the Rams opened that door.

But I think it was a 3 year opt-out or something like that that caused the hold out.

Also, I think that's not nearly the issue it was because AD did what he said he wouldn't do and has his team in negotiation with the Rams NOW.

That only happens if AD has fully bought in AND wants to listen and stay here versus try and force a trade to be somewhere else.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We see things similarly I think. I have always wanted them to sign AD, but that doesn't mean at any cost. Team has to come first is all, and if the Rams are willing to get it done early and take care of him he should help them structure it a bit for lower cap hit in certain years.

I think he'll come in around $17-18M, somewhere in there, but for long years with a ginormous signing bonus. That's my hope at least; I'd have no problem going long years with him since he takes such good care of himself and gives full effort in every aspect of his job.

But if for whatever reason things go south, well, I'll deal with it. Just hope it doesn't come to that.

Don't kid yourself, it will be $20m+ per year.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I read that TG can redo his deal after the season also, does this mean there’s no way guys like Tru and TA come back next year? People have been going on about all the cap space there is but I’m curious to see what it looks like when these deals get done. And what is Easley’s status, he was expected to be a big part of the dL before the season, does he come back?
But these questions are for the offseason, which for the first time in a while, has an uncertain start date.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This post is prompted by @Merlin post:

Okay. Here goes.

I have speculated based on a few bits of information and things we've all learned about Aaron Donald that the reason he didn't sign this off-season wasn't about the money. Rather, I think his people insisted on a 3-year opt-out clause because Aaron Donald refused to go out like Steven Jackson and so many other Ram greats who withered on the losing vine. So, yeah, sign the big contract, but if it's still a shitshow 3 years from now, he could opt out and gtfo.

The great news, if I may speculate further, is that AD is willing to listen to the Rams now that we are winning and not just winning, but set up to win for a long time. The entire culture changed in a very short period of time.

When AD came back, he made it clear that he would have no conversations about signing until after the season. I figured he'd play angry, almost resentfully angry all season and then try to force a trade.

But McVay and Wade were WAY better than even the drunkest of us Kool-Aid drinkers could hallucinate. The Rams haven't just won, but dominated. They lost 3 of 4 games in ways that showed we just had to learn how to better deal with scheme, execution and each other. Each loss has made us stronger.

510d1cc3fffdf45258807875cdb0ebd0--lego-figures-obi-wan.jpg

The fact that AD's agents are even ENGAGED with the Rams prior to the end of the season is a FANTASTIC sign.

I think he earned even more money and his cap hit next year is gonna make Drew Brees seem like a bargain, but he'll be a Ram for life.

So, yet another effect, not side-effect, but direct effect of McVay's success is that Aaron Donald may actually sign that long-term contract we all want him to sign.

And if you saw AD out there on Sunday, he was having FUN. He plays angry, but you could tell he wants to keep playing with these guys.

I want this to happen so badly, but this tidbit, if true, is the first sign that AD may actually sign the long-term deal.

And that, my friends, may be an even bigger victory than what just happened in Seattle.
Great post, there can be no doubt, after each Loss, this Team Feels Like this .....

Winning is.jpg

The Force is with the Rams!!

Star Wars.jpg