M&M Boys Backing Up Goff…Exciting

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Now relax, this is not a knock on the California Kid as I look forward to Goff showcasing major growth in year two under the tutelage of McVay, LaFleur and Olson. I also feel very strongly about the depth at this position and I know some of you feel it’s sacrilegious to carry three QB’s, but I’m old school and like having three QB’s on the roster, if they are worthy.

Sean Mannion is not the villain we can root for Mannion and hope that he plays as much as Paul Justin did in 1999, but I am anxious to see how Mannion takes to McVay’s offense because it’s about getting rid of the ball quickly something that Mannion has struggled with from time to time. Mannion at 6’6 is the tallest QB on the roster and there is no questioning his arm strength, the key for Sean besides not holding the ball too long and being very careful not turning the ball over as he did that at nauseam in his Senior year at Oregon State. If the triumvirate of the three offensive coaches annotated above can make an impact on Mannion as well, the Rams could use him as a major trade trip moving forward.

I always did like Aaron Murray at Georgia and was actually pleased with his addition to the field generals here in Southern California. Now I understand he had his hiccups in Kansas City, but Murray was known for his ability to lead at Georgia and always seemed to rise to the occasion when the chips were down. Murray is much shorter than Goff & Mannion at 6’1 on a good day, but he has the ability to escape the pocket and a quick release as well so this offense could be tailored made for him, however, he has been in similar offenses in Kansas City & Philadelphia. So this could be it for Murray although I never believe that about Quarterbacks, but Murray truly needs to showcase he is worthy of a roster spot because with two young guns in Goff & Mannion combined with their youth, it might be difficult to keep three, but this regime will have an affinity for that position.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think it will depend on how the QB play looks at the end of pre-season, that well determine IF the Rams carry 3 QB's or Just 2! IF Goff and Mannion Both look real good I see no reason to carry 3 QB's when we could add another impact player to the Roster!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I definitely think Mannion is going to look real good this offense is very similar to what he ran at Oregon.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see no reason to carry 3 QB's when we could add another impact player to the Roster!

I realize that, but I miss the days when teams carried 3, but quite frankly that was more in the later 70's with expanded rosters, in the 60's and early 70's Rams usually carried two...Gabriel & Karl Sweetan or Gabriel & Jerry Rhome for example and of course John Hadl and Jame Harris in 73 until they drafted Ron Jaworski in 74, which they traded Hadl to Green Bay and two again until they drafted Pat Haden in 1976.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I realize that, but I miss the days when teams carried 3, but quite frankly that was more in the later 70's with expanded rosters, in the 60's and early 70's Rams usually carried two...Gabriel & Karl Sweetan or Gabriel & Jerry Rhome for example and of course John Hadl and Jame Harris in 73 until they drafted Ron Jaworski in 74, which they traded Hadl to Green Bay and two again until they drafted Pat Haden in 1976.
The Good Old Days!! I would love to go back and re-Live ( At Least!!) 1966-1974! Maybe all the way up thru 1979!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hmmm....

I only remember the hype surrounding Mannion...Should he play...yada yada....and when he got in, he looked clueless. I hope we give that running QB a real shot. The dude outta SMU.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hmmm....

I only remember the hype surrounding Mannion...Should he play...yada yada....and when he got in, he looked clueless. .

Disagree, that was when all was lost, unfair to judge him on six attempts in the last game of the year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I think i'd rather see teams expand to 55 roster players with everybody eligible, no more of this 46 game day players business. It's not like the league can't afford it, ... and it should help reduce injuries by keeping players fresher. jmo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Disagree, that was when all was lost, unfair to judge him on six attempts in the last game of the year.
Yeah...not really fair...but I was hoping for a lil spark...like...I got my first shot, this is what I'm gonna do....instead, he looked like a guy that was wondering, what did you put ME in here for????

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah...not really fair...but I was hoping for a lil spark...like...I got my first shot, this is what I'm gonna do....instead, he looked like a guy that was wondering, what did you put ME in here for????

That expectation was unreasonable considering both how bad schematically the offense and how poorly players executed in it.

Even a super human effort from a top QB wouldn't have yielded results beyond, "that didn't look very good".

Mannion's development has been stunted since he got here. The fact that he wasn't comically bad out there is a testament to Mannion's growth in spite of, not because of, his coaches at the time.

Goff's the man, no question. That said, it was Mannion's as a rookie that fully got the offense first and had to tutor Foles.

So, while I expect Goff to be set up well, the guy who probably already has it down or mostly down is Mannion.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Also known as the Oregon Duck's whipping boys:rockon:
Ugh, except for last years vomit inducing season. Being a Rams and Ducks fan, I almost gave up on Football and became a Portland Timbers fan....until I learned I'd have to switch to being a skinny jean wearing homo.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Ugh, except for last years vomit inducing season. Being a Rams and Ducks fan, I almost gave up on Football and became a Portland Timbers fan....until I learned I'd have to switch to being a skinny jean wearing homo.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

Nothing worse than...freakin' skinny jeans.

Love mah gay friends and fam.

Skinny jeans are a pox on society.

It's like wearing a sign that says...unflattering things.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
hmmm....

I only remember the hype surrounding Mannion...Should he play...yada yada....and when he got in, he looked clueless. I hope we give that running QB a real shot. The dude outta SMU.

Well how did Goff look??? It looked to me a lot worse then clueless