Luck of the Rams - An Early March Offseason.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
WARNING: There are a ton of trades where I'm trying to get as much value as I can. This is probably not what the Rams would do, but this is my offseason.

But don't worry; this is good luck. Very good luck. :D So, without further ado:

RELEASE:

Jake Long
Scott Wells
Eugene Sims
Isaiah Pead
Jo-Lonn Dunbar

Absolutely no real surprises here.

CONVERT:

Lamarcus Joyner - CB - FS
Mo Alexander - SS - OLB

If you've been following my mocks, these moves have both been there. Joyner moves to free safety and dominates, while Alexander adds a few pounds and moves to outside linebacker.

RE-SIGN:

Kenny Britt - three years, five million per year.
Cory Harkey - three years, three million per year.

No surprises here either. Britt is arguably our number one receiver and a positive influence on our young corps. Harkey is extremely valuable for what he does and absolutely has to be re-signed long-term.

SIGN:

Tarvaris Jackson - two years, six million per year.

Leger Douzable - one year, two million.

C.J. Mosley - one year, one million.

Jah Reid - one year, vet minimum.

-

Tarvaris Jackson gives us someone who can legitimately start a sixteen game season and be solid, if not spectacular. Douzable and Mosley give us legitimate rotational run-stuffers. Reid has off-the-field issues and lost his job last year, but he can play three different positions on the offensive line. Worth looking at.

TRADE:

#10 to the Philadelphia Eagles for #20, 2015 second, 2015 third, 2015 fourth, and 2016 first.

In this scenario, it goes like this: Tampa Bay takes Winston, Tennessee takes Williams, Jacksonville takes Fowler Jr., Oakland takes White, Washington takes Beasley, New York Jets take Cooper, Chicago takes Shelton, Atlanta takes Ray, and New York takes Peat, leaving Mariota for us. Ordinarily, I'd take him, but Philly gives us the moon because they feel that Mariota is the final piece for a deep run with Chip Kelly. We take the huge bounty of picks and wait for our quarterback

Sam Bradford to the Buffalo Bills for 2015 third, 2015 fifth, and conditional 2016 fourth (turns into a third if Bradford throws for over 3,ooo yards, turns into a second if Bradford throws for over 4,000 yards).

In this scenario, Bradford asks for too much, and Buffalo wants him. Square deal.

William Hayes and Brian Quick to the Dallas Cowboys for a 2015 fourth and 2015 fifth round pick.

With the uncertainty surrounding Dez Bryant, and their hideous defensive line, Hayes and Quick help alleviate some of the concerns.

Zac Stacy to the Indianapolis Colts for a 2015 sixth round pick.

Stacy has fallen behind in our depth chart. Indianapolis needs a running back. Fair trade.

Chris Givens to the Kansas City Chiefs for a 2015 seventh.

Kansas City is desperate for a receiver because they don't have anyone other than Dwayne Bowe. For a seventh, they take a chance on Givens.

2016 second round pick (Rams), 2016 fourth round pick and 2015 fifth round pick to Tampa Bay Buccaneers for 2015 third.

With two first round picks next year, we can afford to give up picks to move up this year.

DRAFT:

#20 overall (Eagles) - T.J. Clemmings, OT/OG, Pittsburgh.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZQCldPP4w

#41 overall - A.J. Cann, C, South Carolina.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRR2-tr_w

#52 overall (Eagles) - Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2h13pya7pI

#65 overall (Buccaneers) - Paul Dawson, OLB/ILB, TCU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3izLFsWGpY

#72 overall - Donovan Smith, OT/OG, Penn State.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJt0eBbeRng

#81 overall (Bills) - Ifo Ekpre Olomu, CB, Oregon.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcui8k0DLMA

#84 overall (Eagles) - Lynden Trail, DE, Norfolk State.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvv62HILHho

#116 overall (Eagles) - DeAndre Smelter, WR, Georgia Tech.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4F9XJ0Wua0

#124 overall (Cowboys) - Jacoby Glenn, CB, UCF.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaJ-xgllWD8

#137 overall - Jamil Douglas, OG, Arizona State.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlIgu01s2F4

#155 overall (Cowboys) - Terry Poole, OT, San Diego State.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMBy82xVMgU

#189 overall (Colts) - Terrell Watson, RB, Azusa Pacific.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnTd2uoMcsI

#202 overall - A.J. Derby, TE, Arkansas.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3S8_IjDlmI

#208 overall (Chiefs) - Taylor Heinicke, QB, Old Dominion.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvbTANSSjdk

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're starting Tarvaris Jackson? Nope. If that's our plan, I'll find another team to root for in 2015.

Plus, I think trading Quick and Hayes for essentially nothing is a bad deal. As is trading a future 2nd for another 3rd this year.

I can't say I'm a fan. I feel like we're tanking in 2015 in this scenario. Plus, we barely used all the cap room we had.

I appreciate the originality, my friend. But just not my cup of tea. (y)

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We're starting Tarvaris Jackson? Nope. If that's our plan, I'll find another team to root for in 2015.

Plus, I think trading Quick and Hayes for essentially nothing is a bad deal. As is trading a future 2nd for another 3rd this year.

I can't say I'm a fan. I feel like we're tanking in 2015 in this scenario. Plus, we barely used all the cap room we had.

I appreciate the originality, my friend. But just not my cup of tea. (y)

What are we going to get for Quick and Hayes in 2015 when they're free agents? Nothing. And trading a future second for Paul Dawson? I thought you actually liked that player?

Tarvaris Jackson is probably the best option on the market for QBs. Would you rather have nothing when Bradford goes down?

And we're not tanking 2015. We're simply retooling our offense into a run-first with a game-manager at quarterback. KC got pretty far with that.

And I honestly don't think that we have much cap room to begin with. We still need to sign all of those players to contracts. We still need to re-sign major players in 2016 (Brockers, for one). What cap room do we really have, even with the expected cuts?

I'm looking at some of the big name quarterbacks in 2016, true, but I'm filling needs at the same time. We can't count on Quick to come back from his injury. We can't count on Bradford. Jenkins and Johnson are likely gone. Hayes is gone after this year. And there's no fucking chance in hell I'm counting on Bradford at Condon's price and with his injury history to be my starter in 2015.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What are we going to get for Quick and Hayes in 2015 when they're free agents? Nothing. And trading a future second for Paul Dawson? I thought you actually liked that player?

We still can re-sign Quick. Hayes has more value to this team than a 5th round pick even if he only stays with us through next season.

Tarvaris Jackson is probably the best option on the market for QBs. Would you rather have nothing when Bradford goes down?

I'd rather have Mariota. And Bradford. So there's the chance that Bradford stays healthy along with the chance that Bradford goes down. But you traded away both. We don't have "nothing if Bradford goes down"...because we have no Bradford.

Your plan is to enter the year with Jackson as a starter. And that's something I could never get behind. That's like planning to enter the year with Shaun Hill as a starter. I'm sorry but you're giving up our chance to be a contender by doing that.

And we're not tanking 2015. We're simply retooling our offense into a run-first with a game-manager at quarterback. KC got pretty far with that.

If we had an Alex Smith level QB, I wouldn't be complaining. But Tarvaris Jackson is not that. He's a Shaun Hill level QB.

And I honestly don't think that we have much cap room to begin with. We still need to sign all of those players to contracts. We still need to re-sign major players in 2016 (Brockers, for one). What cap room do we really have, even with the expected cuts?

With the expected cuts, we have a lot of cap room. If we don't re-sign Barksdale, we have around $15 million to spend in FA...if we want to. And then in 2016, we have $70-$80 million open right now to spend on re-signing our guys.

And if you trade Bradford, that's another $13 million in cap room.

I'm looking at some of the big name quarterbacks in 2016, true, but I'm filling needs at the same time. We can't count on Quick to come back from his injury. We can't count on Bradford. Jenkins and Johnson are likely gone. Hayes is gone after this year. And there's no freaking chance in hell I'm counting on Bradford at Condon's price and with his injury history to be my starter in 2015.

So, instead, you're counting on a far inferior QB while not using the money you opened up by getting rid of Bradford. If Jackson was a backup, that's fine. I can understand that. I don't think he's much if any better than Hill but if that's your backup plan to Bradford, I understand. But trading Bradford AND Mariota to start Jackson? That's something that would make me consider walking away from this team. Because it tells me that this team doesn't care about contending.

There's no guarantee we'll get a QB in 2016. And there's no guarantee that those QBs will be top tier prospects.

Jenkins and Johnson are likely gone? We have plenty of money to re-sign them with.

Memento

Name
Jemma
We still can re-sign Quick. Hayes has more value to this team than a 5th round pick even if he only stays with us through next season.

I'd rather have Mariota. And Bradford. So there's the chance that Bradford stays healthy along with the chance that Bradford goes down. But you traded away both. We don't have "nothing if Bradford goes down"...because we have no Bradford.

Your plan is to enter the year with Jackson as a starter. And that's something I could never get behind. That's like planning to enter the year with Shaun Hill as a starter. I'm sorry but you're giving up our chance to be a contender by doing that.

If we had an Alex Smith level QB, I wouldn't be complaining. But Tarvaris Jackson is not that. He's a Shaun Hill level QB.

With the expected cuts, we have a lot of cap room. If we don't re-sign Barksdale, we have around $15 million to spend in FA...if we want to. And then in 2016, we have $70-$80 million open right now to spend on re-signing our guys.

And if you trade Bradford, that's another $13 million in cap room.

So, instead, you're counting on a far inferior QB while not using the money you opened up by getting rid of Bradford. If Jackson was a backup, that's fine. I can understand that. I don't think he's much if any better than Hill but if that's your backup plan to Bradford, I understand. But trading Bradford AND Mariota to start Jackson? That's something that would make me consider walking away from this team. Because it tells me that this team doesn't care about contending.

There's no guarantee we'll get a QB in 2016. And there's no guarantee that those QBs will be top tier prospects.

Jenkins and Johnson are likely gone? We have plenty of money to re-sign them with.

Who knows if Quick will even be the same with his shoulder? Hayes has no value to this team when he leaves. Better to get mid-round picks (notice that I had a fourth and a fifth) for them while they still have some semblance of value.

I'd love to have Mariota, but if Philly wants to give up the moon for him, then I'll gladly do that trade in a far superior quarterback class next year. And what in hell makes you think that Bradford has a chance to stay healthy when he's only played two full seasons out of five? When he's gone under for an ACL twice and a shoulder once? I have no faith. If we go with Bradford as the starter for another year and he goes down, that's when I'll be done with this regime. Because they obviously don't have a clue about backup plans.

Jackson is not a Shaun Hill level quarterback. Shaun Hill has been a journeyman his entire career, and he proved how awful he was with the Rams. Jackson, with a running game and an offensive line, gives us a better chance than a perennially-injured Bradford and a below-mediocre duo in Hill and Davis ever did. Jackson has proven himself as a backup behind Russell Wilson - who, by the way, credits Jackson for getting him acclimated to the NFL. But if you still aren't happy, then I'll deal away the Terry Poole pick for Cutler, and Jackson and Heinicke can be backups. Fair?

And we still have to use that cap room to re-sign guys like Brockers and Barron to long-term deals. We also have to sign a rather large draft class.

What makes you so absolutely certain that we wouldn't get a top quarterback like Cook, Boykin, Cardale Jones, Hackenberg, Kiel, or Jeremy Johnson with two first round picks?

And it goes both ways. Jenkins and Johnson could be paid huge money to be a number one cornerback on a weak team or they could want to go to another team such as the Cheatriots. There's absolutely no way that money alone gets them; they have to want to stay here as well.

Athos

Legend
Not sure I like that.

We'd be in for another losing season unless we field a top 3 rushing attack and a legit top 3 defense.

I mean, that's the kind of thing I'd take in hindsight and if Cardale Jones starts at OSU next year and tears it up just enough that that extra 1st helps us draft him as I'm not enamored really with the QB prospects next year either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who knows if Quick will even be the same with his shoulder? Hayes has no value to this team when he leaves. Better to get mid-round picks (notice that I had a fourth and a fifth) for them while they still have some semblance of value.

And if he does come back from his shoulder, you dealt a talented 25 year old WR that we spent all that time develop for nothing. This draft class is weak after the first 3-4 rounds. We're essentially getting nothing for a talented, young player(coming off an injury) and a valuable role player.

There's zero chance I entertain that deal.

I'd love to have Mariota, but if Philly wants to give up the moon for him, then I'll gladly do that trade in a far superior quarterback class next year. And what in hell makes you think that Bradford has a chance to stay healthy when he's only played two full seasons out of five? When he's gone under for an ACL twice and a shoulder once? I have no faith. If we go with Bradford as the starter for another year and he goes down, that's when I'll be done with this regime. Because they obviously don't have a clue about backup plans.

In a far superior QB class? You have no idea how that QB class will pan out or who will be in it.

Philly isn't giving up the moon for him. If they want to give us a RGIII trade, I'd consider it...IF THEY THROW IN FOLES. But what they offered there isn't enough.

I'll take my chances on Bradford over taking my chances on a guy that I know isn't good enough.

Jackson is not a Shaun Hill level quarterback. Shaun Hill has been a journeyman his entire career, and he proved how awful he was with the Rams. Jackson, with a running game and an offensive line, gives us a better chance than a perennially-injured Bradford and a below-mediocre duo in Hill and Davis ever did. Jackson has proven himself as a backup behind Russell Wilson - who, by the way, credits Jackson for getting him acclimated to the NFL. But if you still aren't happy, then I'll deal away the Terry Poole pick for Cutler, and Jackson and Heinicke can be backups. Fair?

Yes, I'd be quite happy with Cutler but I doubt Chicago is willing to deal him. I don't think John Fox signed on there to deal his only starting caliber QB.

Jackson is a Shaun Hill level QB. The last time he was a full time starter...which was with Seattle...he threw 14 TDs to 13 Ints in 15 games. That sounds an awful lot like Shaun Hill. Jackson has a stronger arm than Hill but he's not as adept mentally. The guy is a backup caliber QB. You'd get the same level of play from him.

Jackson does not give us a better chance than Bradford. That's nuts. Even if you think there's an 80% chance that Bradford gets injured. That 20% chance with Bradford is still better than what Tarvaris Jackson gives us.

And we still have to use that cap room to re-sign guys like Brockers and Barron to long-term deals. We also have to sign a rather large draft class.

No, we won't. We can choose to but we certainly don't have to. And the large draft class won't cost us much. I factored them in already.

What makes you so absolutely certain that we wouldn't get a top quarterback like Cook, Boykin, Cardale Jones, Hackenberg, Kiel, or Jeremy Johnson with two first round picks?

What makes you certain those guys will be worth taking or will be in the draft? A lot of people assumed Hundley and Petty would be top picks coming into the year because they'd progress. A lot of people assumed Connor Cook would declare for the draft(I don't like Cook but that's neither here nor there).

And it goes both ways. Jenkins and Johnson could be paid huge money to be a number one cornerback on a weak team or they could want to go to another team such as the Cheatriots. There's absolutely no way that money alone gets them; they have to want to stay here as well.

I think at least one of the two will want to stay. I'm not concerned. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Main point is that you are retooling this offense to fit your liking and your scheme. An offseason this drastic only occurs when a regime change occurs. I will take this post for what it is, a fun way to gain insight into the football mind of @Memento . After all you did call this "your"off-season.

But again, this is a rebuild kind of off season and I think that is where most people will disagree with you. I for one do not think a complete rebuild is necessary.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
That is another question, why didn't Philly throw in Foles in that trade? You think they would try to.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I
And if he does come back from his shoulder, you dealt a talented 25 year old WR that we spent all that time develop for nothing. This draft class is weak after the first 3-4 rounds. We're essentially getting nothing for a talented, young player(coming off an injury) and a valuable role player.

There's zero chance I entertain that deal.

In a far superior QB class? You have no idea how that QB class will pan out or who will be in it.

Philly isn't giving up the moon for him. If they want to give us a RGIII trade, I'd consider it...IF THEY THROW IN FOLES. But what they offered there isn't enough.

I'll take my chances on Bradford over taking my chances on a guy that I know isn't good enough.

Yes, I'd be quite happy with Cutler but I doubt Chicago is willing to deal him. I don't think John Fox signed on there to deal his only starting caliber QB.

Jackson is a Shaun Hill level QB. The last time he was a full time starter...which was with Seattle...he threw 14 TDs to 13 Ints in 15 games. That sounds an awful lot like Shaun Hill. Jackson has a stronger arm than Hill but he's not as adept mentally. The guy is a backup caliber QB. You'd get the same level of play from him.

Jackson does not give us a better chance than Bradford. That's nuts. Even if you think there's an 80% chance that Bradford gets injured. That 20% chance with Bradford is still better than what Tarvaris Jackson gives us.

No, we won't. We can choose to but we certainly don't have to. And the large draft class won't cost us much. I factored them in already.

What makes you certain those guys will be worth taking or will be in the draft? A lot of people assumed Hundley and Petty would be top picks coming into the year because they'd progress. A lot of people assumed Connor Cook would declare for the draft(I don't like Cook but that's neither here nor there).

I think at least one of the two will want to stay. I'm not concerned. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I dealt a wide receiver with a shoulder that apparently looked like spaghetti and who probably won't be ready at the start of next season and a thirty-year-old end who was a complete and utter failure as a starter when Long went down for a 6'0" cornerback who had thirty-five pass breakups and ten forced turnovers (seven picks and three forced fumbles) in two years, as well as a swing tackle. Love how you completely neglected to mention Trail, Greene, and Smelter, all of whom are better options at this point than Quick and Hayes.

I may not have an idea how it will pan out, but there will be far more options than this one. I know that much.

They're giving up half of their draft and their future first for him. You want Foles? You add more. But I don't like the guy at all. Far too inconsistent.

Bradford's not even going to be fucking ready to play at the start of the regular season. He tore his ACL on the same knee twice in less than two years. Not to mention that he plays a completely different style than Mariota. Now that's a recipe for disaster right there. You want to roll the dice on a guy who has spent the last four out of six seasons on injured reserve, be my guest. By all means, do that. And when he goes down yet again (because a healthy Tarvaris Jackson is easily better than an injured Sam Bradford), we can look forward to that number one overall pick in 2016. Because you draft Mariota with our lack of picks, that's less spent on other needs, like the offensive line, wide receivers, and defensive backs.

I'm pretty sure that you were high on Boykin, Jones, and Kiel. You really think that none of them are going to be available with two first round picks?

You think at least one of the two will want to stay? You may be willing to cross that bridge. I'm not.

I'm just going to have to agree to disagree because otherwise, I'm going to have a fucking aneurism/heart attack/liver failure simultaneously.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dealt a wide receiver with a shoulder that apparently looked like spaghetti and who probably won't be ready at the start of next season and a thirty-year-old end who was a complete and utter failure as a starter when Long went down for a 6'0" cornerback who had thirty-five pass breakups and ten forced turnovers (seven picks and three forced fumbles) in two years, as well as a swing tackle. Love how you completely neglected to mention Trail, Greene, and Smelter, all of whom are better options at this point than Quick and Hayes.

I may not have an idea how it will pan out, but there will be far more options than this one. I know that much.

Bradford's not even going to be freaking ready to play at the start of the regular season. He tore his ACL on the same knee twice in less than two years. Not to mention that he plays a completely different style than Mariota. Now that's a recipe for disaster right there. You want to roll the dice on a guy who has spent the last four out of six seasons on injured reserve, be my guest. By all means, do that. And when he goes down yet again (because a healthy Tarvaris Jackson is easily better than an injured Sam Bradford), we can look forward to that number one overall pick in 2016. Because you draft Mariota with our lack of picks, that's less spent on other needs, like the offensive line, wide receivers, and defensive backs.

I guess my problem is making assumptions about things we don't know. None of us know about Quick's or Bradford's medical. I can't make decisions on things I don't know.

I just don't want to give Quick up right now. Because if he does come back well from the shoulder, he's got a ton of talent that we spent the last few years developing. Seems like we're selling low.

I also don't think we've got as many needs as you do. Quick or no Quick, I feel okay about our WRs. I think Bailey, Britt, and Austin can carry the load. But I also don't think Quick's injury is career altering or ending. I'd love to upgrade if we can but if we go into next year with our same group, I feel fine.

The offensive line needs work but I think we can address that in FA and the draft whether or not we take Mariota.

I don't think the DBs are a big need. Would love to improve our depth but we have a good group back there.

I also don't think Mariota and Bradford having different styles is important. Weinke has worked with mobile QBs. We can develop Mariota behind Bradford.

They're giving up half of their draft and their future first for him. You want Foles? You add more. But I don't like the guy at all. Far too inconsistent.

I'm not a huge Foles guy either. But if the choice is Foles or T-Jax, I gotta go Foles.

And JMO but it's not enough for me. If they want him, they need to give us the three firsts, a 2nd, and Foles. I like Mariota. We need a QB. I'm not trading him for anything less.

I'm pretty sure that you were high on Boykin, Jones, and Kiel. You really think that none of them are going to be available with two first round picks?

I like those guys but I also haven't delved deeply into their film yet. Which means that things could easily change. Plus, Cardale could end up back on the bench and not declare. I may not like Boykin that much after more film. And Kiel has had injury issues.

You think at least one of the two will want to stay? You may be willing to cross that bridge. I'm not.

The bridge I'm going to wait to cross is next year's draft. Especially the CB position. We don't know who will be in it or where we'll be picking. I can't count on getting a QB next year. So if I can get one this year, I'm getting him. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I'm just going to have to agree to disagree because otherwise, I'm going to have a freaking aneurism/heart attack/liver failure simultaneously.

I'd prefer you not have any of those things happen...much less simultaneously. ;)