Los Angeles Rams Week 2 Preview: Saints Come Marching In

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
By
Tony Lopez

September 11, 2019

CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA - SEPTEMBER 08: Jared Goff #16 of the Los Angeles Rams hands the ball off to Malcolm Brown #34 of the Los Angeles Rams during their game against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium on September 08, 2019 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty Images)

The Los Angeles Rams and New Orleans Saints face off this coming weekend in what is being called an NFC Conference Championship rematch. You can also call it the rubber game, meaning the deciding game after two teams split the pair played in 2018. It is easily the Game of the Week, whatever you choose to call it, and definitely one of the most anticipated games of 2019. But will this game live up to the hype or come undone? Check out what the Los Angeles Rams Week 2 Preview reveals.

Rams Week 2 Preview: vs Saints, Chip and All
The attitude of Saints fans towards the NFL (and now its referees) is disdainful at best. Of course, this dates back to the infamous pay-per-injury scandal known as Bountygate. Even during their Week 1 Monday Night Football home game, fans mocked and taunted refs wearing striped shirts, large whistles, toting signs and more. Reports would soon follow of how they have yet to get over last season’s NFC Conference championship game.
The Rams aren’t susceptible to getting caught up in the shouldered chips of other teams. They have a mission to accomplish. The Saints, once again, are just another team in their way. But with all the hype and drama that’s sure to cloud their sunshine this week, their biggest and most powerful adversary can show up in any game, any week of the season. It’s the person opposite each player and each coach when he looks in the mirror. There’s likely to be at least a few staredowns in those mirrors this week.

Rams Week 1 Key Points at a Glance
Rams Offense
Most of the Rams starters played what was essentially their first preseason game last weekend against the Carolina Panthers. In the first quarter, especially, they looked every bit the rustiest of teams.
The offensive line didn’t look good early on. Todd Gurley might’ve had a flashback or two from 2016 as Panthers greeted him at or behind the line of scrimmage entirely too often. In the second half, the line appeared to get in flow and Gurley had success. But guess what? To the trained eye, Gurley still didn’t look 100 percent.
Rams Defense
The Panthers offense opened the game looking fairly sharp while driving from their own 25-yard line to the Rams 26 before fumbling. The Rams defense stiffened up gradually soon after. In fact, they appeared to settle in and strengthen when tragedy struck (tragic at that point in time, anyway). Eric Weddle took a violent knee to the head and left the game for good.
The Weddle-less unit was not quite the same after that, looking a bit unsure of itself at times. Do keep in mind that although it’s not a brand new or completely revamped group of guys. The youngsters are simply under new leadership and extended on-field direction until things become second nature.

Week 2 Key Points of the Game of the Week

The Saints March In Confidence
I mean, let’s face it. Drew Brees is way more established and has lots more clout behind center than Jared Goff. Receiver Michael Thomas deserves and gets top billing on that team because he’s a bonafide superstar. The Rams, to their credit, have no receiving superstars but three really good 1A, 1B and 1C pass-catchers making up one of the best three-receiver sets in the NFL.
Saints running back Alvin Kamara is as dangerous a multi-purpose back as there is in the league.
But the ultimate danger to the Rams was not present at last season’s games. This is tight end, Jared Cook. Cook, who apparently knows how to catch for every team except the 2013-2015 Rams, always seems to hurt them significantly. I wouldn’t doubt if New Orleans signed him with that in mind. He’s an upgrade over tight ends Josh Hill and Dan Arnold (a combined 1 of 3, 24 yards last January).
The talk of Brees aging is mostly talk. As long as he’s upright on the field the Saints are never really out of a game. Also, take note, the Saints targeted eleven different players in that championship game. If they bring the kitchen sink to the coliseum, chances are good it sees a pass or two.

Rams Staff Needs To Show More Moxie
You’ve heard Gurley and teammates say it more than once, the Rams need only play their game. The mindset is to control what you can control. Given their total team talent it’s usually enough to seal the deal. However, once a thing happens to knock their focus out of alignment (and it will), they can be vulnerable. The Rams will need to quickly get their focus back should any surprises arise. In other words, this week they need their back-up plans to have back-up plans.
May remembering cutdown day be suggested? After all, ‘it’s not called show friends, it’s called show business.’
Rams management surprised quite a few people, even fans, with a few keepers that disabled them to keep other well-liked players. There was a reason for those moves the casual Angeleno may not realize. In short, you never discount upside, especially when saving money is involved.
It would be wise of the Rams to exercise that same moxie and not fear playing some of that talent in Week 2. The starters will probably need a bit more rest as playing an entire game with no preseason can be taxing enough. The Monday night game versus the Houston Texans looked like a second-half workout for Asshole Face’s boys. Sean McVay and Wade Phillips can take a page out of the Bill Belichick Hall of Fame-worthy handbook and outsmart the Saints. In this case, with well-paced chess move substitutions, I don’t believe Payton can match.
These new faces showed promise in the preseason and are capable of huge plays.

Last Word on The Game of the Week
Being big on eye tests regarding NFL football, Week 1 was a victory by a Rams team that looked like a shell of what it’s capable of. Goff looked like Fisher-Priced at times – Don’t stand there letting tacklers come right at your face. Throw the ball away!
The second-half play-calling was mixed well and executed for the most part but the weapons appeared quicker in training camp. Expect them to be in Week 2.
4-receiver sets could work wonders. Remember, Josh Reynolds burned them for 74 yards in that NFC championship game.
One factor I absolutely love, utilizing Malcolm Brown early to wear down opposing defenses late when Gurley all loose and feeling it. REPEATING: This is definitely one of those weeks in which the Saints could be running on fumes late. They aren’t built for grass, they’re a carpet team much like the Greatest Show on Turf was.
The defensive side holds aces and with Weddle back in the line-up (my money says he is), there can be a constant progressive game flow which lacked late Week One.

Still, with all that said, the most important thing is putting pressure on Drew Brees. The Texans obviously missed having the disruptive Jadeveon Clowney and constant double-teams on J.J. Watt seemed to do the trick: J.J. Watt, (Wait for it…) for the first time in his career, did not record one single sack, tackle…Nothing! Whitney Mercilus, no doubt Houston’s best defensive player that night, had the team’s only sack.
The Rams need to come stronger than that. I’m thinking they will but it would be nice to see Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Greg Gaines get in on some of the action. Both are quite the load to keep blocked.

Las Vegas odds for the game opened at Rams -3. As it stands now, the Rams are a fat -5 in my book.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Well written article but this guy is kind of all over the map. He says one thing but then says another. Goff looked like a shell of his former self. Wait what? He had an average game and suddenly he's a shell of his former self? I just don't get it, then he brings up the fact that he didn't play in Preseason, ok so now you left yourself outs so you can say, "see i told you it was just rust".

Also saying Gurley is not 100% to the trained eye??? hahaha wtf does that even mean. He rushed for 100 yards on 14 carries. He's fine, move along and stop trying to get click bate you overindulgent turd.

Anyways, i liked the article just can't stand the double speak.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Josh Reynolds was really disappointing Sunday (o-2). I used to think he had huge upside. :/

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saints at Rams: 4 things to know about Week 2 matchup
gettyimages-1097105058.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 8 minutes ago

The Los Angeles Rams are gearing up for yet another matchup with the New Orleans Saints. It’ll be their fourth since the start of the 2017 season, with the two teams splitting the series since then.
All-time, the Rams hold the series lead with 42 wins in 76 games (including postseason) and last beat the Saints in the NFC championship game. As you remember, that game featured a blown missed pass interference call that would’ve benefited the Saints, so New Orleans is undoubtedly seeking vengeance for that gaffe.

Here are four things to know heading into Sunday’s game.

Jared Goff’s 104.2 passer rating vs. Saints is third-best against any team
Goff’s career record against the Saints in the regular season is only 1-2, but his numbers were solid in those games. He’s completed 66 percent of his passes for 959 yards (319.7 per game) with eight touchdown passes and three interceptions. His career passer rating of 104.2 is his third-highest against any team in the NFL that he’s faced more than once.
Of course, he and the Rams also beat the Saints in the playoffs last season, a game in which he had one touchdown and an interception with a passer rating of 83.0.

Rams and Saints have highest in winning percentage since 2017
Since Sean McVay took over, the Rams have gone a remarkable 25-8 in the regular season. That’s tied for the best record in the NFL since 2017. The Saints also have the same record in that span, as do the Patriots.

In terms of points scored, the Rams lead the league with 1,035 points for, while the Saints rank third (982). The Chiefs are second with 1,020 points scored. The Rams and Saints are second and third in point differential, respectively.

Saints are last in NFL vs. run on third-and-long
Since the start of last season, the Saints have allowed first downs on 62.5 percent of opponents’ rushing attempts on third-and-long – typically viewed as give-up plays. Needless to say, that’s a terrible rate. It’s by far the worst in the NFL, 19.8 percent higher than any other team in the league, according to Inside Edge.

The Rams may try to capitalize on this with their bevy of running backs. Perhaps you’ll see draws or handoffs to Todd Gurley or Malcolm Brown go for first downs in third-and-long situations, which defenses typically expect passes in.

Saints have outscored Rams 88-87 combined in last three meetings
The Rams have won two of their last three games against the Saints by a combined nine points. The Saints beat Los Angeles by 10 points in Week 9, so all told, the three contests have been very close.
New Orleans barely has the edge in total points, outscoring the Rams 88-87 since the start of last season. The Rams are only favored by 2.5 points in this one, so the oddsmakers expect it to be another close battle.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Looks like the Rams are tired of talking about it, too.

———

Rams' Talib: Botched PI call 'not an L.A. problem'

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay walked through the locker room Wednesday, and upon seeing about 20 reporters and television cameras positioned in front of cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman's locker, hollered, "How many times can you ask the same question!"

Apparently, not enough.

As the Rams (1-0) prepare to play the New Orleans Saints (1-0) on Sunday in a rematch of last season's NFC Championship Game, it was the infamous no-call -- the one that helped send the Rams to Super Bowl LIII and was responsible for changing a rule that now allows for pass interference to be reviewed -- that took center stage.

How many times has Robey-Coleman seen the play, where he blatantly hits Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis before the ball arrives?

"Probably over a little over 4,000 to 5,000 times, easy," Robey-Coleman said.

When did the questions about the play start?

"Since we got on the bus after the game," outside linebacker Dante Fowler said. "They had it right there on TV."

And what about New Orleans fans and players, including quarterback Drew Brees, who have said -- even eight months later -- that the play is something they'll never forget, as it kept the Saints from advancing to their first Super Bowl since 2009.

"That's a New Orleans problem," cornerback Aqib Talib said. "It's not an L.A. problem."

The Rams and Robey-Coleman have said on several occasions that the hit should have been a penalty. They didn't change their tone Wednesday, though Robey-Coleman admitted the play garnered far more attention than he anticipated.

"I didn't expect it to get that much pub, but it is what it is," Robey-Coleman said. "They made it into what it is and the league made it a rule. Just got to live with it now and it's a rule that the whole league is going to have to adjust to. We don't have no problem with it."

McVay also said that if a similar situation were to happen to his team, time wouldn't be spent dwelling on it.

"We're not going to complain either way," McVay said. "And that happened to end up working to our advantage, but we talk about it all the time, it's got to be that next-play mindset mentality. That was one that definitely benefited us, but there's a lot of plays in the game."

The Rams mostly maintained that Sunday's rematch is just like any other Week 2 matchup. It will be the fifth time that Rams quarterback Jared Goff and Brees will meet, with each quarterback winning two games.

However, at least one Rams player held out hope that perhaps a victory over the Saints on Sunday would end the chatter about last season's no-call.

"Maybe," Fowler said, "we can kind of put it to rest for a little bit."

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well written article but this guy is kind of all over the map. He says one thing but then says another. Goff looked like a shell of his former self. Wait what? He had an average game and suddenly he's a shell of his former self? I just don't get it, then he brings up the fact that he didn't play in Preseason, ok so now you left yourself outs so you can say, "see i told you it was just rust".

Also saying Gurley is not 100% to the trained eye??? hahaha wtf does that even mean. He rushed for 100 yards on 14 carries. He's fine, move along and stop trying to get click bate you overindulgent turd.

Anyways, i liked the article just can't stand the double speak.

Goff did NOT have an average game. That was awful. He did look like a shell of what he's capable of being (he didn't say a shell of his former self).

And I actually agree on Gurley - to my eye he did not look 100% either. But then 80% of Todd is still going to be a great running back.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Looks like the Rams are tired of talking about it, too.

———

Rams' Talib: Botched PI call 'not an L.A. problem'

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay walked through the locker room Wednesday, and upon seeing about 20 reporters and television cameras positioned in front of cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman's locker, hollered, "How many times can you ask the same question!"

Apparently, not enough.

As the Rams (1-0) prepare to play the New Orleans Saints (1-0) on Sunday in a rematch of last season's NFC Championship Game, it was the infamous no-call -- the one that helped send the Rams to Super Bowl LIII and was responsible for changing a rule that now allows for pass interference to be reviewed -- that took center stage.

How many times has Robey-Coleman seen the play, where he blatantly hits Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis before the ball arrives?

"Probably over a little over 4,000 to 5,000 times, easy," Robey-Coleman said.

When did the questions about the play start?

"Since we got on the bus after the game," outside linebacker Dante Fowler said. "They had it right there on TV."

And what about New Orleans fans and players, including quarterback Drew Brees, who have said -- even eight months later -- that the play is something they'll never forget, as it kept the Saints from advancing to their first Super Bowl since 2009.

"That's a New Orleans problem," cornerback Aqib Talib said. "It's not an L.A. problem."

The Rams and Robey-Coleman have said on several occasions that the hit should have been a penalty. They didn't change their tone Wednesday, though Robey-Coleman admitted the play garnered far more attention than he anticipated.

"I didn't expect it to get that much pub, but it is what it is," Robey-Coleman said. "They made it into what it is and the league made it a rule. Just got to live with it now and it's a rule that the whole league is going to have to adjust to. We don't have no problem with it."

McVay also said that if a similar situation were to happen to his team, time wouldn't be spent dwelling on it.

"We're not going to complain either way," McVay said. "And that happened to end up working to our advantage, but we talk about it all the time, it's got to be that next-play mindset mentality. That was one that definitely benefited us, but there's a lot of plays in the game."

The Rams mostly maintained that Sunday's rematch is just like any other Week 2 matchup. It will be the fifth time that Rams quarterback Jared Goff and Brees will meet, with each quarterback winning two games.

However, at least one Rams player held out hope that perhaps a victory over the Saints on Sunday would end the chatter about last season's no-call.

"Maybe," Fowler said, "we can kind of put it to rest for a little bit."
FFS....Why didn't NRC just turn and pick 6 that stupid throw.....ugh. I am gonna be honest here fellas.....I have seen that play from every angle available, and it is arguable....to me at least....that the ball was just PAST the WR when NRC hit him. I never hear anyone mention that, so maybe my homer eyes are deceiving me, but the WR himself didn't argue the call on the field.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams this year just seem to have higher upside to me. They're greatly improved at the safety position, going from Joyner to Weddle is huge. Rams still don't have that deep roamer type but Weddle can do a bit of everything and Rapp is a star in the making. So the coverage and deep play should be much tougher on the Saints.

Also the edge rush improvement is marked. Going off one game here but Fowler is much different now with the time he's had in the scheme and Matthews off the left edge looks great. Hope the back spasms are a game one thing because IMO with those two we are a far better defense on the rush and in contain than we were last season and they make our depth better too.

On the concern side the DL needs a big game, they were similar to what we saw last year in the first game so not a big concern but this is a huge game and we'll need quick pressures on Brees. They're also gonna need to be tighter in their zone play in the secondary, way too many guys running open vs Carolina and if we do that vs Brees it's a shootout at best.

IMO the Rams are significantly improved this year on defense. But will it show this early? Hope so.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
IMO the Rams are significantly improved this year on defense. But will it show this early? Hope so.

I was excited about our D this year, but re-viewing the game they were painful to watch. Seems like we only have 10 guys out there sometimes.:p

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We all have fantasies of games like that Raider game that we won 52-0 and just dominated.

Other than doing that in the Super Bowl... THIS is the game I'd like that to happen.

I mean, I want phrases like "The Rams shellacked the Saints" to be used after the game.

I want the Saints' flight home to be devastating in body and spirit.

I want the Rams to beat them so badly in all phases and in every way to such an extent that the Week 1 pounding that the Pats put on the Steelers is seen as weak in comparison.

I want Biblical terms to be used to describe this Rams victory.

And after that, I want the Rams to say things like "see? Just another week 2 game. No time to celebrate, we gotta prepare for next week because the goal isn't a huge week 2 victory, but the Super Bowl"

I don't get a lot of wishes, but outside of a big Powerball win, that'd be my wish...

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams are a classy organization! Maybe the best in the NFL. They take the high road, but let you know, they are aware the Saints are living in the past. "We're not going to complain either way," McVay said. "And that happened to end up working to our advantage, but we talk about it all the time, it's got to be that next-play mindset mentality. That was one that definitely benefited us, but there's a lot of plays in the game."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We all have fantasies of games like that Raider game that we won 52-0 and just dominated.

Other than doing that in the Super Bowl... THIS is the game I'd like that to happen.

I mean, I want phrases like "The Rams shellacked the Saints" to be used after the game.

I want the Saints' flight home to be devastating in body and spirit.

I want the Rams to beat them so badly in all phases and in every way to such an extent that the Week 1 pounding that the Pats put on the Steelers is seen as weak in comparison.

I want Biblical terms to be used to describe this Rams victory.

And after that, I want the Rams to say things like "see? Just another week 2 game. No time to celebrate, we gotta prepare for next week because the goal isn't a huge week 2 victory, but the Super Bowl"

I don't get a lot of wishes, but outside of a big Powerball win, that'd be my wish...
I'm with you. It's been a while since we've seen the Rams hit on all cylinders. The home playoff game vs Dallas was probably the closest and most recent example of that happening but if you dip back into last season there were a lot of disappointing outings by our team down the stretch and into the playoffs. So they're due to have that type of game and there's good reason to think it's possible.

Goff tends to ball the F out in the Coliseum and plays better when he knows the opponent. Gurley's size and athleticism stand out more on grass. McVay IMO has been prepping for and obsessing over this game all offseason. Edge rush looks far better than last year. Safety position is night and day from last season. Honestly this game comes down to our OL I think, if they play well and handle their $#!T the Rams gonna come out with the W. But yeah I pray it's an @$$ kicking of the Saints with a reviewed PI that goes the Rams' way just to rub it in. :ROFLMAO:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Rams are a classy organization! Maybe the best in the NFL. They take the high road, but let you know, they are aware the Saints are living in the past. "We're not going to complain either way," McVay said. "And that happened to end up working to our advantage, but we talk about it all the time, it's got to be that next-play mindset mentality. That was one that definitely benefited us, but there's a lot of plays in the game."
yes, if Sphincter face wasn't busy whining to the officials all the way into overtime, his team might have been more focused on winning the game instead of the missed call.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
New Orleans vs. Los Angeles matchups: Saints defense vs. Rams offense

Will the New Orleans defense be able to make plays against a star studded Rams offensive attack?
By Bob Rose Sep 14, 2019

The New Orleans Saints head on the road this week for the first of back to back games on the west coast. The first of which is against the Los Angeles Rams in a much-publicized rematch of the blatant NFC championship robbery that cost New Orleans a trip to Super Bowl LIII. The contest not only features two of the most productive offenses in the league, but two very well balanced teams expected to be in the heat of the battle for the championship. Each squad comes into the game at 1-0, with Los Angeles hanging on for a 30-27 victory on the road at Carolina and the Saintsprevailing in a last second 30-28 thriller at home against Houston. The Rams averaged 421 yards and 32.9 points per game last season, both second in the league and just a shade better than the Saints average of 31.5/game. Los Angeles has one of the more imaginative attacks in the game, but oppose a New Orleans defense that thrives on pressuring offensive backfields. Today, we'll examine how the two squads match up against one another in this marquee showdown.

SAINTS PASS DEFENSE vs. RAMS PASS OFFENSE

NFC Championship - Los Angeles Rams v New Orleans Saints
Photo by Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images
The good news is that the New Orleans pass defense, which ranked 29th last year, sacked Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson six times, applied heavy pressure most of the game, and intercepted him once. The bad news is that the Saints still struggled with communication in the secondary that led to big plays, especially in pivotal moments such as allowing two deep passes in the final seconds that nearly cost them the game. Third year cornerback Marshon Lattimore did play well against Houston on the back end. Matched up against Texans All-Pro wideout DeAndre Hopkins much of the game, the 2017 Defensive Rookie of the Year battled fiercely and held his own. Hopkins would have 8 catches for 111 yards and two touchdowns in the game. According to Pro Football Focus though, Hopkins had 4 receptions for 51 yards and a score on seven targets against Lattimore.

Other members of the New Orleans secondary, namely Eli Apple, P.J. Williams, and Marcus Williams need to be far more consistent in coverage. Marcus Williams had the team's interception Monday night on a beautiful athletic play showing good anticipation, but was also partially responsible for a few big plays due to poor recovery. P.J. Williams and Apple are often heavily targeted, and each need to make more plays to make teams think twice about testing them. Linebackers Demario Davis and Alex Anzalone skillfully mix blitzes with their coverage ability in both zone or man. Saints defensive tackle David Onyemata returns after a one game suspension, adding another pass rusher to a line that is deep and disruptive.

End Cameron Jordan, who had a sack last week, is one of the NFL's most underrated defenders, and has had double digit sack totals in four of the last six seasons. Fellow end Trey Hendrickson followed up his tremendous preseason with 2 sacks against Houston, while P.J. Williams and safety Vonn Bell both applied good pressure at times with blitzes. Last year's number one pick Marcus Davenport came under some scrutiny for his play, but he actually got into the Texans backfield on several plays, just needs to do a better job of finishing. The Saints defensive tackles, despite the absence of Onyemata and the injured Sheldon Rankins, also got decent push up the middle on passing downs, but will need more consistent interior pressure in this one.
Los Angeles Rams v New Orleans Saints

Los Angeles quarterback Jared Goff, considered one of league's top young signal callers, completed 64.9% of his throws for 4,688 yards with 32 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in his third season. There is some speculation that the first overall pick in the 2016 draft is in a slump though, especially after netting just 186 yards despite 23 completions last week against the Panthers. Goff has thrown for less than 225 yards in six of his last eight games, including playoffs, and has seemed skittish against pressure.

He certainly has talented playmakers to distribute the ball to in coach Sean McVay's innovative system. Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, and Brandin Cooks make up one of the league's best trio of wideouts, and running back Todd Gurley is a good receiver out of the backfield. Kupp had 40 catches for 566 yards and 6 touchdowns in just seven games last year before a knee injury ended his season. Woods and Cooks, a former Saints star, each had over 1,200 yards and a combined 11 scores last season on 86 and 80 receptions respectively. All three, as well as underrated backup Josh Reynolds, are a bit undersized but excel at making plays in the open field after the catch. The tight ends aren't a huge part of the passing offense, but Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett are both capable targets for their quarterback. Goff was sacked 33 times last season, but has recently come under fire for his performance when under pressure.

Matchup to Watch:

Saints secondary vs. Rams wideouts

The L.A. receivers are smaller than the average NFL prototype, but are tough and athletic. They thrive on crossing routes, so the New Orleans secondary must be disciplined in their coverage and pursuit. Lattimore and Apple have an advantage if they can be physical with the L.A. wideouts at the line of scrimmage to disrupt their timing. All eyes will be on the New Orleans safeties for containment as well, particularly in key moments. Goff has thrown six touchdown passes and averaged 347 yards in the last three meetings against the Saints, mostly targeting his talented wideouts.

SAINTS RUN DEFENSE vs. RAMS RUN OFFENSE

New Orleans had the league's second best run defense a year ago, but had some issues with containment last Monday against Houston. The Saints surrendered a surprising 180 yards on the ground to the Texans, as they showed poor gap responsiblity and containment on several plays. New Orleans played much better run defense in the second half though, much closer to what we're accustomed to seeing. Defensive tackles Malcom Brown, Taylor Stallworth, and Shy Tuttle got good penetration throughout the second half, often able to defuse plays quickly. Cam Jordan is one of the better edge run defenders, but both Davenport and Hendrickson need to be more consistent at not getting caught out of position on the other side. Linebackers Davis, Anzalone and A.J. Klein are outstanding at firing into the backfield to make plays and from sideline to sideline.
NFL: New Orleans Saints at Los Angeles Rams
Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
Todd Gurley is considered one of the top running backs in the NFL, but like Goff has recently been the subject of some scrutiny. In Gurley's case it has been his health, as a bothersome knee injury hindered his production down the stretch of last year and has raised questions about his longterm durability. He did have 97 yards on just 14 carries in the opener against Carolina, coming off of a 1,251 yard rushing season in 2018. His backup Malcolm Brown, picked up 53 yards last week and scored two touchdowns.

Matchup to Watch:

Saints LB's vs. Gurley
Photo by Scott Cunningham/Getty Images
Saints running back Alvin Kamara accounted for 18 total touchdowns last season, only topped by the 21 from Todd Gurley, who totaled 1,831 yards from scrimmage. Davis and Anzalone are two of the few linebackers who can match Gurley's athleticism and versatility between the tackles, on the outside, and in the passing game. Although Gurley was limited to just five touches during the NFC championship game, the Saints have held him to an average of less than 100 yards from scrimmage in each of their previous three regular season meetings.

NFC Championship - Los Angeles Rams v New Orleans Saints
Photo by Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images
The Saints look to have the advantage up front to pressure Goff and make him hurry his throws. Expect New Orleans to mix in quite a few blitzes to try and force the struggling Rams signal caller into mistakes as well. Lattimore may not necessarily be locked on one receiver, as he was with Hopkins last week, but New Orleans would be wise to mix up their coverages to prevent the L.A. attack from getting into a rythm. The Saints have played better against Gurley than most teams, and we should see a better outing this week from the run defense in general. The same late game coverage breakdowns in last week's Houston game is also one of the things that cost the Saints in the playoffs against Los Angeles. The New Orleans secondary must still show that they can hold up against the passing attacks of their fellow top contenders for this defense to prove capable of winning a championship.