Los Angeles RAMS "The Last 15 Months"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Los Angeles RAMS "The Last 15 Months"
sig-3868565.il_340x270.730575235_rh9b.jpg

With the first day of the Los Angeles Rams "2018 Training Camp" only days away, I thought I would release a "timeline presentation" of some memorable current events that happened to our team over the last 15 months.

I'm sure most of you remember many of these articles and you all have your own personal memories and special experiences from the past 15 months that have transpired since April of 2017.

As pumped up as I am myself with training camp and the upcoming 2018 season about to start, I'm just as excited for all of you relentless and faithful Rams fans that have waited a long time for this franchise to finally build a championship caliber roster.

Les Snead and Sean McVay along with their assistants have assembled the most talented Rams roster on paper that we have seen in several years. It's only on paper but this 2018 group of players gives most of us realistic hope for a deep playoff run and a Super Bowl opportunity.

We all know nothing is ever won on paper in the NFL and there are legit concerns about some of the position groups along with how good the quality of depth is, or how well or poor the role players will perform when their numbers are called. We also know how the impact of future injuries can quickly dismantle any NFL team.

Team depth and chemistry can be questioned for the top rated 5 or 7 NFL rosters at the beginning of every new season. I believe most of us agree this current Rams 2018 roster is at least worthy of top 7 consideration and this is truly a blessing for us fans.

Regardless of any weaknesses at position groups or the unsure quality of depth at key positions, this Rams roster is ultra talented and considered a legitimate heavyweight Super Bowl contender by many experts inside NFL media circles.

The current Rams roster could very well be overrated or they might actually be as good as the hype they've gotten since the NFL free agency period and draft ended.

No matter how different each of our own perceptions of this current Rams team and roster may be, we are all about to go on an exciting Rams journey very soon as the 2018 training camp begins this coming week when the rookies report to U.C. Irvine, CA on July 23rd followed by the Veterans on July 25th.

feature_presentation.gif

"Revisiting The Last 15 Months"

timeline_logo.png

The Los Angeles
Ram%205.jpg

April 25, 2017
LA Rams get set for First NFL Draft of "Sean McVay era"

SPORTS_170329302_AR_0_ZRKVGUUWYYFA.jpg

Though the Los Angeles Rams don’t have a first-round pick in this week’s NFL Draft, it’s still a big occassion for the franchise. First-year coach Sean McVay will take part in his first draft since taking over for Jeff Fisher. McVay and Rams GM Les Snead met with the media to talk about the upcoming draft, analytics, motivation for a first-round move and more.

Les Snead: “The far right two computers — that’s where our nerds sit during the draft meetings. At the end of the day, the answer is yes. I think it’s another tool in the toolbox. There’s a lot of data that comes our way. I think they do a nice job of being able to analyze it, maybe put it in a form that we can understand. It basically helps us make decisions, take risk out of decisions and add better probability.”

Sean McVay: “I think one of the things that’s been so exciting about getting a chance to get to work with Les is he’s a football guy, he works hard at it. We’ve spent a lot of time together, just watching and evaluating. I think there’s a lot of things, just the way that he assesses players when we’re having that communication as we watch.

It’s been very helpful for me to kind of improve myself, where you look at some of the things that he might notice that I might not and then you can kind of try to offer a different perspective, just from a coach’s standpoint with the overall schematic approach in terms of what’s trying to get done on the actual play or whatever it is where you’re evaluating a certain player.”

McVay on his grandfather, John “You know, they named the draft room after him in San Francisco, which is a pretty cool thing. I owe a lot to my grandfather, but I think more than anything now being able to have those conversations with him, where he’s never pushed any information on me. More just been so willing to share, only if I ask. And that’s what’s been a great resource for me, to kind of be able to utilize him now.’
https://www.foxsports.com/west/story/los-angeles-rams-nfl-draft-sean-mcvay-les-snead-042517

May 1, 2017
NFL Draft Results: Rams select Offensive Targets early
ba73a3fdd5e1b94f688d9a2a68635a7b-original.jpg

South Alabama TE Gerald Everett 44th overall pick: The pick was Everett, a blasting tight end out of the Sun Belt. I think it’s a fine one given Rams Head Coach Sean McVay’s penchant for organizing much of his offense around the tight end threat. One criticism I’ve seen lobbed is that the pick is a reach.

Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp 69th overall pick: Brandon Bate’s least favorite mock target became a reality with the Rams’ original third round pick. We’ll see how it works out. If he feels more comfortable with Kupp in lieu of Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Pharoh Cooper, Mike Thomas, Nelson Spruce or whomever you want to toss in here (Tavon Austin is the odd ancillary factor, a Schrodinger’s WR who is both useful and not until we open the box that is the 2017 season and find out)?

Boston College S John Johnson 91st overall pick: The secondary was always the defensive spot of immediate need, though the OLB slot may figure of more import if you factor in position value. The Johnson pick in and of itself isn’t surprising. That Johnson was the specific target was a bit unanticipatable.

Texas A&M WR Josh Reynolds 117th overall pick: The WR factory at A&M is churning at full volume. Back in early March, our own Tevin Broner put up his scouting report of Reynolds concluding: The Rams need a player that has a good catching radius, so that Goff can have a security blanket. Goff needs a player that will be an accuracy eraser and Reynolds could be that guy for the young QB. There's not a player on the roster that can adjust to the ball in the air like Reynolds does routinely.

Eastern Washington OLB Samson Ebukam 125th overall pick: The defensive impetus was always spread between the edge and the secondary. And while Johnson may have been selected before Ebukam, I wouldn’t consider that a condemnation of the intent here. If Ebukam can, like Maurice Alexander who was the 110th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, accept the tutelage of his coaching staff while waiting for an opening for playing time, this could look a comfortable option. That’s certainly the proposal.

Tulane DT Tanzel Smart 189th overall pick: Ah, the late rounds. Ye of little jeopardy! It’s the sixth round. If Smart can land, it’s a hit. The problem is crowd size. Smart joins a DL that is stacked with Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Dominique Easley, Ethan Westbrooks, Tyrunn Walker, Matt Longacre and Louis Trinca-Pasat. Who does he supplant in the pecking order?

Virginia Tech FB Sam Rogers 206th overall pick: Fullbacks! What a lovely consideration. Rogers was a bit of a coverall at VaTech. The question is whether the jump in talent is too much to prevent him from being useful.

Pitt OLB Ejuan Price 234th overall pick: It’s the seventh round. If Price can land on the roster, the pick is a home run. He’s a hefty, quick linebacker who moved to the outside amid a ton of injuries in his career. It’ll be interesting to see he and Ebukam get their chances and assess how close they are to meeting NFL standards.
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/5/1/15493038/2017-nfl-draft-results-los-angeles-rams-draft-class

July 25, 2017
Revamped Rams "Reset and Ready" to open New Training Camp

tumblr_p1odynZxko1s038kqo5_1280.jpg

By the end of summer workouts, new Rams coach Sean McVay had hurt his leg, put on some weight and could point to a dime-sized patch of white hair on his temple. “Sometimes I tell the players that they caused this,” McVay said with a smile. McVay, 31, who became the youngest coach in NFL in January, faces quite a task when training camp opens this week at UC Irvine.

The Rams are six months removed from a dismal 4-12 season, and they haven’t made the playoffs since 2004, the year McVay graduated from high school. Where is the reason for hope? The Rams made mild roster upgrades but remain longshots to make the playoffs or reach .500. If nothing else, though, McVay has provided a clean slate and unparalleled energy.

“It’s been a great change so far,” quarterback Jared Goff said recently. “I think Coach McVay and his staff have implemented that, and I think everyone has bought in. Honestly, I think the leaders on the offensive side and the leaders on the defensive side have raised expectations and raised the standard. With that, everyone seems to follow, and so far I believe it’s been a really good change.”

The contrast, throughout the summer, seemed stark. Gone is former coach Jeff Fisher, whose “cool dad” persona was popular with players but didn’t inspire enough accountability, and former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, a talented coach but one who primarily communicated by screaming expletives.

McVay is relentlessly positive. He speaks at a dizzying pace and commands every room he enters. Then there’s new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, the antidote to Williams, a slow-talking Texan who has won over his defensive players with his wry humor, his stellar resume and his willingness to patiently explain concepts.

It’s a fresh start. Even the Rams’ primary uniforms have changed, back to the blue-and-white scheme they last wore before McVay’s birth.

“It’s way different,” Goff said. “It’s a way different offense. Personally, from my brief experience with it, I’ve had a quicker time learning it, easier time learning it. I don’t know whether that’s scheme or the way it’s taught or whatnot, but I’ve enjoyed spending time with the coaches and picking it up pretty quickly.”

The Rams think they’ve found something special in McVay. Now, McVay gets a chance to prove them correct.

“When he left (his interview),” Demoff said, “I remember Les standing up and he said, ‘That’s going to be a successful head coach. I’m buying stock in Sean McVay.’ And really, from there, we knew we had our guy.”
https://www.dailynews.com/2017/07/25/revamped-rams-reset-and-ready-to-open-new-training-camp-2/

September 09, 2017
Aaron Donald ends holdout, "Rejoins the LA Rams"
sports_170909491_ar_0_bpajskyjrxpq.jpg

Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald has officially ended his holdout and reported to the team one day before the team will open the season against the Indianapolis Colts, according to Pro Football Talk.

The late arrival means that Donald will not be on the field when the Rams begin the season Sunday, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The holdout for Donald ends without a contract, which means it could be tough for the Rams to keep the defensive tackle when his rookie deal expires.

With his fast rise and status as the Rams’ best defensive player, Donald was severely underpaid heading into the season, with two years left on his rookie contract. Currently, he’s scheduled to make just $1.802 million, a bargain for the Rams but a pittance for a player of Donald’s caliber.

He started his holdout at the beginning of camp, with reports suggesting that Donald was ready to miss regular-season games. That was always a long shot, given that it’s an extreme negotiating tactic, but his late arrival to the Rams means it’s unlikely he plays Sunday.

Donald has been an instant star from the moment the Rams selected him with the 13th overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft. Through three seasons, he has 28 sacks and four forced fumbles, emerging as one of the league’s best interior pass rushers.

It might be a bit of a transition for Donald, who missed a month of practice and is moving to defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ preferred 3-4 scheme. Still, he has the talent to seamlessly ease into the system and continue being one of the most disruptive defensive linemen in football.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/9/9/16218972/aaron-donald-holdout-rams-contract

September 10, 2017
Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams open Sean McVay tenure with "46-9 Victory" over Colts
DJZoOTxUEAA8saM.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AP) —
After just one game in new coach Sean McVay’s system, the change in Jared Goff was striking.

Goff15.gif

No longer an uncertain rookie hiding behind a lousy offensive line, Goff flung the ball confidently around the field for the Los Angeles Rams. He shook off his mistakes and made smart adjustments on the way to the biggest passing day of his young career — and his first victory as a starter.

McVay got a big-time game out of last season’s No. 1 pick during the Rams’ 46-9 rout of the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday, but Goff was just one of several impressive performers in a season-opening stunner.

“Starting off the season with a win, regardless of if it’s my first or Sean’s first, I think it’s exciting for everybody,” Goff said.

Goff went 21 of 29 for a career-high 306 yards and a touchdown for the 31-year-old McVay, the youngest head coach in modern league history. Their partnership is in its infancy, but the early results were awfully promising.

“I thought he took good care of the football, made good decisions, and he did seem to have good command of it,” McVay said of Goff, who went 0-7 as a starter last season. “I’m very proud of him. Thought he did a great job, and it was awesome for him to get his first win.”

The entire afternoon was a welcome reversal for the Rams, who lost six straight home games and their final seven games overall to end last season amid dwindling Coliseum crowds.

The Rams returned with their highest-scoring performance since November 2014 in their first game since McVay took over a franchise that went 4-12 in its 13th straight non-winning season and 12th straight non-playoff season.

“When McVay got here, he raised our accountability level, our standards,” linebacker Robert Quinn said. “And I think guys are having fun. Of course we’re looking for improvements every week, but it’s a good place to start.”

McVay is just eight months into the Rams’ rebuilding project, and he was quick to acknowledge their fortunate break with the injury absence of Colts quarterback Andrew Luck. The Rams will take any advantage they can get if it helps to put their season on track.

“We know it wasn’t a perfect game, but there were a lot of things that the players did a great job with,” McVay said.
https://www.foxsports.com/west/stor...-mcvay-first-victory-as-nfl-head-coach-091017

September 17, 2017
Jared Goff’s "late interception" thwarts Rams comeback
57dfbedcc11760f72120da1441480855-original.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Kirk Cousins threw an 11-yard touchdown pass to Ryan Grant with 1:49 to play to give the Washington Redskins a 27-20 victory Sunday against the Los Angeles Rams and rookie head coach Sean McVay.

Cousins capped the winning 70-yard drive by finding Grant in the front left corner of the end zone. The Rams had tied the game at 20 on Greg Zuerlein’s 40-yard field goal with 7:16 to play.

It was set up on a trick play, when punter Johnny Hekker completed a 28-yard pass to Josh Reynolds to the Washington 17. But two penalties stalled the drive and the Rams had to settle for the field goal.

Chris Thompson scored on runs of 61 and 7 yards for the Redskins (1-1). Mason Foster sealed it with 1:37 to go by intercepting Jared Goff. Despite McVay’s familiarity with the Redskins, it didn’t translate into a win for the Rams (1-1). The Rams, who didn’t look near as sharp as they did in routing Indianapolis a week earlier, made a game of it thanks to a spectacular play by Todd Gurley.

Goff didn’t have nearly the day he did a week earlier, when he threw for a career-high 306 yards to get his first win as an NFL starter. He was 15 of 25 for 224 yards, with one TD and one interception.
https://www.foxsports.com/west/stor...sean-mcvay-fall-to-washington-redskins-091717

September 21, 2017
THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Rams hold off 49ers for wild 41-39 win
1503-98891-original.jpeg

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Coach Sean McVay walked into the postgame news conference and immediately asked, "Anyone have a beer?"

He probably wasn't the only person who wanted a drink after watching a surprisingly thrilling Thursday night shootout between his Rams and the San Francisco 49ers that wasn't decided until Los Angeles prevented a potential game-tying 2-point try and then delivered a rare defensive stop after blowing the onside kick in a 41-39 victory.

"We talk about mentally tough, be your best regardless of the circumstance," McVay said. "I thought the players did that. They found a way in spite of some of the ups and the downs to come away with the win."

While the defense came up big late, it was the offense that carried the day for the Rams (2-1), who have gone from the lowest-scoring team in the NFL a year ago to a dynamic one through three games under McVay.

Jared Goff threw for 292 yards and three touchdowns, Todd Gurley ran for 113 yards and scored three TDs and Robert Woods (108) and Sammy Watkins (106) each topped the 100-yard mark receiving in Los Angeles' second 40-point performance of the season.

The Rams have 107 points in all so far, the second-most in franchise history after three games to the 119 by "The Greatest Show on Turf" squad in 2000.

"Since I've been here we haven't been able to do that," Gurley said. "Hopefully we can keep putting points together, keep working together and keep learning from this. I think we left a lot more points off the board."
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/ne...night-football-rams-hold-49ers-wild-41-39-win

October 1, 2017
Cowboys fall as the Los Angeles Rams run all over them

rams_cowboys_football_24618359.jpg

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) -- Todd Gurley can help make Jared Goff's second go-round in the NFL much more enjoyable than the first. What better way for the Los Angeles Rams running back to show it than to lead a win over last year's dynamic rookie duo of Dallas quarterback Dak Prescott and 2016 NFL rushing leader Ezekiel Elliott?

Gurley scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 53-yard catch-and-run while generating 215 total yards, Greg Zuerlein kicked a career-high seven field goals and the Rams beat the Cowboys 35-30 on Sunday.

Gurley finished with 121 yards rushing and 94 receiving as the Rams overcame two first-half touchdowns from Elliott the day before a federal appeals court hearing related to the star running back's blocked six-game suspension over a domestic incident in Ohio.

"Me being able to step up takes a lot of stress off everybody, and we obviously have a lot of guys that can do a lot of things, just being able to have diversity on offense," Gurley said.

The Rams (3-1) rallied from 11 points down late in the first half and matched their start from a year ago, when they went 1-11 the rest of the way as Goff, the No. 1 overall pick, was sitting and later lost the first seven starts of his career.

Goff showed more poise in first-year coach Sean McVay's offense, throwing for 255 yards and two touchdowns without an interception. He has seven TD passes and one interception this season.

The Cowboys (2-2) are already a loss shy of their total from last season when Prescott, the 135th pick in Goff's draft, was the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year for the top-seeded team in the NFC.
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/da...ys-rams-live-updates-can-dallas-look-dominant

October 8, 2017
Seahawks preserve NFC West supremacy in 16-10 win over Rams

1439-81808-original.jpeg

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Seattle Seahawks watched enough film to know Jared Goff and Todd Gurley have made remarkable strides under new Rams coach Sean McVay. Earl Thomas, Sheldon Richardson and the veteran Seahawks defense wouldn't let the upstart Rams step atop the NFC West just yet. Thomas forced two of the Rams' five turnovers, and Richardson picked up two more during the Seahawks' 16-10 victory over Los Angeles on Sunday.

Russell Wilson passed for 198 yards and hit Jimmy Graham for a touchdown late in the first half for the Seahawks (3-2), who shut out the NFL's highest-scoring offense in the second half and won despite getting outgained 375-241. The Rams (3-2) caught the league's attention with the highest-scoring offense in the season's opening quarter, but the Seahawks aren't ready to abdicate the division throne.

"He's going to be all right," Richardson said of Goff, who went 22 of 47 for 288 yards with three costly turnovers. "He's not the same guy from last year. But he's no Tom Brady yet." The Legion of Boom did blanketing work on Sammy Watkins and the Rams' receivers, but Seattle couldn't rest easily until Goff's last-minute drive ended with three straight incompletions near the end zone.

It came down to a few fingertips: Rams rookie Cooper Kupp barely missed a diving TD grab on third down with 8 seconds to play. "I expect to make that play," said Kupp, who had three catches for 44 yards. "I can't say anything about whether it was behind me or a one-hand catch. If I'm putting my hands on the ball, I've got to make that play."

RED ZONE WOES: While the Rams' offense has been undeniably transformed by McVay, it still can't score touchdowns consistently. One week after kicking seven field goals in Dallas, Los Angeles got just three points out of four trips to the red zone. Gurley was averaging nearly 27 touches per game this season, but the running back got just 14 carries and two receptions against the Seahawks. Los Angeles also targeted Watkins only four times, and the speedy receiver went without a catch for just the second time in his 42 NFL games.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...t-supremacy-in-16-10-win-over-rams/106457142/

October 22, 2017
Rams "Reclaim First Place" in NFC West after 33-0 shutout of Cardinals

Donald.jpg

LONDON (AP) — The Los Angeles Rams will finally have something to celebrate on their long flight home.

Jared Goff ran for a touchdown and threw for another and Greg Zuerelein made four field goals as the Rams won for the first time in three appearances in Britain, beating the Arizona Cardinals 33-0 at Twickenham Stadium on Sunday.

Goff completed 22 of 37 passes for 235 yards with an interception and Todd Gurley ran for 106 yards and a touchdown for the NFC West-leading Rams (5-2). Los Angeles has won five of its first seven games for the first time since 2003 — the last time the Rams finished with a winning record.

Zuerlein, who set a franchise record by making seven field goals in a win against the Dallas Cowboys on Oct. 1, connected from 23, 33, 53 and 34 yards, and Kupp finished off the scoring by taking a screen pass 18 yards for a touchdown with 3:53 remaining.

The Rams had not shut out an opponent since a 24-0 road victory against the Washington Redskins on Dec. 7, 2014, while the Cardinals had not failed to score since a 58-0 loss at Seattle on Dec. 9, 2012.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...Shutout-of-Cardinals-in-London-452320033.html

November 5, 2017
Giants Destroyed by Rams 51-17 in "historic beatdown"

20171107184818_57c6e20f80510efbb3e091884efdf9e7_1.jpeg

The New York Giants were embarrassed by the Los Angeles Rams 51-17 in a game that wasn’t as close as the final score suggests. The 34-point loss is the third-worst home loss in franchise history and the most points allowed by a Giants team since surrendering 50 to the Cleveland Browns in 1964. The loss drops the Giants to 1-7 for the first time since 1980.

The play that best exemplified the game (and the Giants season) occurred in the second quarter. The Rams began a drive after a fumble by Giants rookie running back Wayne Gallman.

After a slow start, they were assessed a 10-yard pass interference penalty and a 15-yard penalty for a chop block. Facing 3rd and 33, Rams quarterback Jared Goff hits wide receiver Robert Woods on a screen play that turned into a 52-yard touchdown. Woods was barely touched on the play.

The play gave the Rams a 17-7 lead. Just like that, the Giants were done with nine minutes, 26 seconds to go in the second quarter.

The Rams, who entered the game with the NFL’s second-highest scoring offense, had their way with the Giants. Receivers were repeatedly left wide open, leading to huge plays by the Rams offense. In total, the Rams had six plays of 30 yards or more. The normally reliable Landon Collins, in particular, was made to look mortal by the Rams offense.

The Giants weren’t expected to beat the 6-2 NFC West leading Rams. Injuries have helped doom the Giants’ season while the Rams came into this game without a name on their injury report. At the same time, both teams were coming off their bye.

The Rams were prepared to play while the Giants were not. The Giants were done not even halfway through the second quarter because they played no pride, no passion. It was as If they didn’t care that they were caught in the middle of a historic beatdown.
https://sports.yahoo.com/giants-destroyed-rams-51-17-234922687.html

November 12, 2017
Winning streak continues as LA Rams crush Texans

hqdefault.jpg

Jared Goff threw three touchdown passes in the third quarter and the Los Angeles Rams defense had four takeaways in a 33-7 victory over the Houston Texans Sunday at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The Rams led 9-7 at halftime, then broke the game open with three touchdowns in four possessions.
Goff threw a 94-yard touchdown pass to Robert Woods, a 17-yard touchdown pass to Sammy Watkins two possessions later and a 12- yard touchdown pass to Woods on the next possession.

The first touchdown pass to Woods was the third-longest pass in franchise history. “The ball was on the money,” said Woods, whose 171 receiving yards and two touchdown receptions were the most of his five-season NFL career while his eight receptions were two off his career high. “Jared Goff put it right in the palm of my hands so I was just able to catch it and run.”

Goff completed 25 of 37 passes for 355 yards, the most of his 17-game NFL career, as the Rams improved to 7-2, their best start in the first nine games of the season since 2001. The winning streak is the Rams longest since a seven-game streak in 2003. This is the sixth time this season the Rams have scored 30 or more points, the most since in a season since 2003 when they scored 30 or more seven times in a 16-game schedule. The Rams outgained the Texans, 443-283 in yards before a crowd announced at 60,032.
https://mynewsla.com/sports/2017/11...ntinues-as-la-rams-crush-houston-texans-33-7/

November 19, 2017
Rams machine needs some repairs after 24-7 loss at Minnesota

r292090_576x324_16-9.jpg

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Los Angeles Rams arrived in Minnesota with the NFL's highest-scoring offense, a machine averaging 33 points per game and making the team the talk of the league with this sharp turnaround under new coach Sean McVay.

Their four-game winning streak was tossed aside by a determined Vikings defense in a 24-7 defeat on Sunday in this matchup of NFC division leaders.

After a 75-yard touchdown drive to start the game, the only tangible production by the Rams was extra punting practice for Johnny Hekker. The Rams totaled just 254 yards, with 54 yards coming from on a garbage-time possession at the end of the game against mostly Vikings backups.

"We can play a lot better than we performed," said Jared Goff, who had guided the Rams to a 144-41 scoring advantage during the streak with 1,025 passing yards and nine touchdowns with only one interception.

The Vikings started the second half by forcing four punts in a row by the Rams (7-3), who also led the league entering the week with a third-down conversion rate of 46.7 percent. They moved the chains just three times in 11 opportunities against the Vikings. "They had some good tight coverage. They had some disguises, some different things that disrupted our timing and our rhythm," said McVay, who declared his team "humbled" by the Vikings throughout the course of the afternoon at daunting U.S. Bank Stadium.

Rookie wide receiver Cooper Kupp caught a pass over the middle on third-and-4 from the 11-yard line and reached the 1, before Vikings safety Anthony Harris stripped the ball out and recovered the fumble with 4:03 left before halftime.

"That's seven points coming off the board there. You never know what happens if they go up 14-7," Vikings safety Harrison Smith said. "If you want to play after the regular season, if you want to play late in the year in big games," Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth said, "this is the atmosphere you're going to have to learn how to play and win in."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...pairs-after-24-7-loss-at-minnesota/107858844/

November 26, 2017
Los Angeles Rams Hold Off New Orleans Saints in "Battle of N.F.C. Powers"

Rams-Saints-e1511757049689.jpg

Jared Goff would have to lead a top offense for another decade or more before deserving any quarterback comparisons with Drew Brees, but in a clash of high-powered offenses, Goff’s Los Angeles Rams held off a late charge from Brees’s New Orleans Saints, and won 26-20, ending the Saints’ eight-game winning streak.

With the win, Los Angeles improved to 8-3, guaranteeing the team a record of .500 or above for the first time since 2006. The Rams have not had a winning record since 2003. “I think every win provides an opportunity to gain some confidence,” Coach Sean McVay said about the win at his postgame news conference. “It sounds monotonous but the biggest thing is we got to 8-3.”

It was just a week ago that the Rams were crushed by the Minnesota Vikings thanks to a no-show by the team’s offense, but their offense and defense both looked superb in an all-around effort against New Orleans in which they piled up 415 total yards and limited the Saints to 346, with most of that coming during an exciting but eventually fruitless comeback attempt by New Orleans late in the fourth quarter.

It was a good day for the Rams from the opening kickoff, which Pharoh Cooper returned 40 yards, setting up an opening drive in which Los Angeles needed just seven plays to go 59 yards. Goff finished off that drive with a 4-yard touchdown pass to Sammy Watkins and an early 7-0 lead. Goff would go on to complete 28 of 43 passes for 354 yards and two touchdowns, while he was intercepted once.

It was an impressive performance, but it was aided mightily by the Saints losing the team’s top two cornerbacks to injury before the game. Los Angeles was limited in the running game, with Todd Gurley carrying the ball 17 times for 74 yards, but Cooper Kupp (8 receptions for 116 yards) and Watkins (4 for 82) more than made up for the absence of Goff’s favorite receiver of late, Robert Woods, who is out for a few weeks with a shoulder injury. Gurley also chipped in with 54 receiving yards.

The matchup was among the most anticipated of the week, and resulted in the teams leaving with matching 8-3 records, putting them just behind the 10-1 Eagles and 9-2 Vikings in the N.F.C. Despite the win against another division leader, McVay was unwilling to declare it more important than any of the team’s other victories. “I think it was the biggest because it was the most recent,” he said. “Every one of these counts as one.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/26/sports/saints-rams.html

December 10, 2017
Eagles Lose Wentz to Injury, Beat Rams 43-35 "Clinch the NFC East"

c70719ea070518626c314c2c397518ed.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Carson Wentz threw for 291 yards and four touchdowns before leaving with a knee injury and Jake Elliott kicked the go-ahead 33-yard field goal with 3:45 left for the Philadelphia Eagles, who beat the Los Angeles Rams 43-35 in a thriller Sunday to clinch the NFC East title.

The NFC West-leading Rams (9-4) then went up 35-31 on Todd Gurley’s second short TD run. Elliott kicked a 41-yard field goal to pull the Eagles to 35-34. His go-ahead field goal was set up when Chris Long, a second-round draft pick of the then-St. Louis Rams in 2008, had a strip-sack of Jared Goff, with Rodney McLeod recovering.

Elliott kicked a 54-yarder, but the Eagles got an automatic first down on a personal foul on Aaron Donald. Elliott kicked the winner four plays later. The game ended on a crazy play, when Philadelphia’s Brandon Graham grabbed a lateral by Tavon Austin out of the air on the game’s last play and scored what was ruled a 16-yard fumble return.

This was the eighth time in the Super Bowl era that quarterbacks taken No. 1 and No. 2 overall in the same draft squared off. Goff was the first pick overall in 2016, followed by Wentz. Goff threw for 199 yards and two touchdowns.
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/12/10/eagles-beat-rams-43-35/

Dember 17, 2017
Seattle Seahawks get "Completely Outclassed" by LA Rams in 42-7 beating
gettyimages-894388462.jpg

SEATTLE (AP) — Pete Carroll was short and curt, and felt no need to try and provide explanations for the most lopsided loss in his Seattle Seahawks tenure other than the most obvious.

"No, there is nothing to be happy about. That was a really dismal performance by us," Carroll said.

With a chance to take the division lead and have control over their playoff fate, the most important game of the season became a one-sided embarrassment the Seahawks were left to explain after a 42-7 pummeling at the hands of the Los Angeles Rams.

Instead of Seattle overcoming its long list of injuries and putting forth the same kind of effort as two weeks ago when it knocked off Philadelphia, the Seahawks were completely overmatched against their division rival and for at least this season appear to have been knocked off the pedestal atop the NFC West.

The Seahawks weren't simply beaten. They were outclassed, outcoached, out-everything. The Rams led 34-0 at halftime and 40-0 midway through the third quarter.

There was no point where it seemed the Seahawks were even going to threaten the Rams and that might be most troublesome of all for a team that has prided itself on the ability to compete to the final second.

Wilson was 14 of 30 passing for 142 yards and a touchdown. He fumbled trying to spin out of a sack and threw a backward pass that lost 23 yards trying to avoid another.

Wilson did get sacked seven times even though Seattle knew slowing the Rams pass rush was perhaps the biggest key. Doug Baldwin had one catch. So did Jimmy Graham — for minus-1 yard. Todd Gurley had 144 yards rushing and three touchdowns in the first half. The Rams averaged 5.7 yards per carry for the game.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...outclassed-by-rams-in-42-7-beating/108710714/

December 20, 2017
Rams Greg Zuerlein "Out for the Season"

2124621-thumb.jpg

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams spent Tuesday celebrating their excellence on special teams after having their kicker, punter and return specialist voted in as Pro Bowl starters. Less than a day later, the Rams were putting contingency plans into action after placing kicker Greg Zuerlein on injured reserve Wednesday.

Zuerlein, who leads the NFL in scoring this season with 158 points, has been dealing with a lingering back injury all season and will undergo surgery Thursday morning to repair a herniated disc, head coach Sean McVay said. Sam Ficken, an undrafted free agent from Penn State, was signed after the Rams worked out 10-12 kickers Wednesday. Zuerlein aggravated the injury before the 42-7 win at Seattle on Sunday, but was able to make two field goals and four of five extra points against the Seahawks despite being barely able to stand.

The discomfort got to a point where Zuerlein could no longer kick in the fourth quarter, forcing the Rams to keep their offense on the field on fourth down. Zuerlein was on pace to set a new team single-season record for scoring, breaking the previous mark set by kicker Jeff Wilkins with 163 points in 2003, and had an outside chance to chance to best LaDainian Tomlinson's NFL single-season record of 186 points in 2006. Zuerlein made 38 of 40 field goals, including six of seven from 50 yards or longer, and 44 of 46 extra points.
http://abc7.com/sports/rams-kicker-zuerlein-out-for-season-with-injury/2805969/

December 24, 2017
Gurley helps Rams "Clinch NFC West"

1-t7075792-340.jpg

usatsi_10498005.jpg

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Putting the ball in the hands of Todd Gurley is the easiest decision for the Los Angeles Rams. The star running back is doing his best to push himself into consideration for NFL MVP with an amazing season.

Gurley came in leading the NFL with 17 touchdowns, and he added two more, including the longest reception of his career after taking a screen pass 80 yards. The Rams clinched their first NFC West title since 2003 by beating the Tennessee Titans 27-23 on Sunday.

The running back finished with 118 yards rushing and 158 yards receiving, becoming only the third in NFL history to post such a performance as he joined Ollie Matson (1954) and Herschel Walker (1986).

Gurley also became the third in NFL history with at least 2,000 scrimmage yards, 10 TDs rushing and more than five TD catches in a season, joining O.J. Simpson (1975) and Marshall Faulk (2000 and 2001).

"He's a special player," Rams first-year coach Sean McVay said. "He is playing his best the last couple of weeks when it is the most important, these last couple of weeks."

Jared Goff threw for 301 yards and four touchdown passes, the last for the final margin with 11:51 left on a 14-yarder to Cooper Kupp. Goff said he knows who he'd pick for the league's MVP award if he had a vote. "I know there's a bunch of other guys in the league doing great things, but he's got my vote," Goff said.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-nfc-west-in-27-23-win-over-titans/108911466/

December 31, 2017
"Resting Starters" Rams Fall to SF 49ers 34-13

35519736_251530188765727_1304970987632066560_n.jpg

LOS ANGELES — With many of their starters resting, the Rams struggled to find their rhythm on offense falling to the 49ers 34-13 in Los Angeles’ regular-season finale. Although it wasn’t an ideal outcome for the Rams — with a New Orleans’ loss — L.A. still held on to its No. 3 seed in the NFC playoffs and will host the Falcons next Saturday.

“I think anytime you go into a football game, you’re certainly going to try to win the game,” head coach Sean McVay said. “[But] I do think when you look at the way we approached it, we feel good about being able to allow some of our players to get some rest. And that was a great job by the 49ers today.”

The Rams' offense — led by quarterback Sean Mannion — struggled to get in sync early on, but was able to put points on the board with a little help from the defense. On 1st-and-10 from the SF 41, cornerback Kevin Peterson — who was starting in place of Trumaine Johnson — jumped in front of a pass intended for Goodwin to record the Rams’ 17th interception this season.

It took Los Angeles 15 plays and more than eight minutes to drive downfield, but the Rams finally struck pay dirt late in the fourth quarter. “Disappointed we didn’t come away with a win,” Mannion said. “But that being said, at least we got it going and had a long efficient drive late in the second half.”

On 1st-and-goal from the San Francisco eight-yard line, Mannion handed the ball off to running back Lance Dunbar. The North Texas product muscled his way into the endzone for his first touchdown of the season — cutting the Rams’ deficit to 21 points. The Niners were able to wind down the clock in victory formation, coming away with a 34-13 win.

With the loss, the Rams will finish the regular season 11-5. It’s an impressive turnaround for the club, which went 4-12 just one year ago. Next Saturday, the Rams will host a Wild Card game against Atlanta at the Coliseum marking the franchise’s first playoff appearance since 2004.
https://www.therams.com/news/game-recap-resting-starters-rams-fall-to-49ers-34-13-20172288

January 6, 2018
Falcons show "Playoff Experience" matters in 23-13 Win over Rams

07RAMS-popup.jpg

LOS ANGELES — The Falcons jumped to an early 13-point lead before the Rams mounted two swift scoring drives. Los Angeles went to the Coliseum locker room at halftime with just a three-point deficit amid raucous cheers from a home crowd thirsty for playoff success.

A raucous crowd of 74,300 packed the Coliseum on a crisp evening for the first NFL playoff game in the nation’s second-largest city since early 1994. Los Angeles went 21 years without pro football before the Rams returned last season, and the franchise emphatically ended a 13-year streak of non-winning seasons this fall with an inspiring run to the Rams’ first division title since 2003.

But the Falcons have been here before, and they showed it.

The Falcons jumped to their early lead by capitalizing on two mistakes by Pharoh Cooper, the Rams’ Pro Bowl kick returner. Atlanta’s offense then chewed up the clock and field position, with the first drive after halftime consuming 8:15.

“To end with a time of possession over 37 minutes, that’s hard to do in our league,” Atlanta coach Dan Quinn said. “There was a nine-minute drive to start the second half, and I thought that really set the tone.” The Falcons’ defense did more than enough to slow down the NFL’s highest-scoring offense, harassing Jared Goff into a 24-for-45 performance in his playoff debut.

“They did a real nice job there moving the ball up the field and keeping us on the sideline,” Goff said. “That can sure get you out of your rhythm.” Robert Woods caught nine passes for 142 yards for the Rams, but rookie Cooper Kupp scored their only touchdown late in the first half.

Atlanta held MVP candidate Todd Gurley to 101 yards rushing — just 43 in the first three quarters — and four receptions for a mere 10 yards. The Falcons ruined a celebratory night for the Rams, who rebounded from a rough homecoming season in 2016 with an outstanding debut year under 31-year-old Sean McVay, the youngest head coach to reach the playoffs in NFL history. “You see why the Falcons are the defending NFC champs,” McVay said.
https://nypost.com/2018/01/06/falcons-show-playoff-experience-matters-in-win-over-rams/

February 3, 2018
Sean McVay wins NFL "Coach of the Year" in 1st season

hqdefault.jpg

McVay is the youngest head coach in the NFL, but his leadership and football acumen helped the Rams reach the playoffs in 2017. One year ago, Sean McVay became the youngest head coach in the NFL when he was hired by the Los Angeles Rams. At only 32 years old, he proved to the NFL that age is just a number, winning the 2017 NFL Coach of the Year Award in just his first season.

He wasn’t expected to bring the young Rams back to relevancy so soon after five straight losing seasons under Jeff Fisher. But McVay led the Rams to an 11-5 record and an NFC West crown, the franchise's first division championship since the 2003 season. He ended up winning Coach of the Year in a landslide:

McVay had tons of work to do once he arrived in the City of Angels. He had to bolster the defense, find more playmakers on offense, and come up with different ways to get Todd Gurley the ball. But his biggest job was simple: Groom quarterback Jared Goff. Fortunately for Rams fans, McVay did just that and a lot more.

Once the season started, the Rams began to terrorize opposing defenses. Los Angeles scored a league-high 29.9 points per game — a huge improvement from the league-worst 14 points it averaged during 2016.

Goff threw for 3,804 yards to go along with 28 touchdowns and seven interceptions, with a 100.5 passer rating. He finished in the top 10 in yards and touchdowns, and he also had the fifth-best passer rating in the league.

Because of Goff's stellar play, Gurley didn't have to run into eight-man fronts. Gurley had a career rebirth in 2017 and won the league’s Offensive Player of the Year award. After rushing for 885 yards in his disappointing sophomore campaign, he ran for 1,305 and a league-high 13 touchdowns. Gurley also made a huge impact in the passing game — hauling in 64 receptions for 788 yards and six scores. He led the league in scrimmage yards and touchdowns.

Even though the Rams' 2017 ended with a loss against the Atlanta Falcons in the Wild Card round, McVay helped them make the playoffs for the first time in 13 years. There's no denying McVay has this young team on the right path.
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/3/16935986/2017-nfl-coach-of-the-year-sean-mcvay-los-angeles-rams

excerpt: from McVay's COA acceptance speech

"Wow, this truly is the ultimate team award, such a blessing and really it's a privilege to be here tonight. Truly honored and humbled, because of the respect and admiration you have for coaches around this league and the coaching profession in general.

And I also wanted to give a congratulations to coach Belichick, to coach Pederson for guiding their teams to the Super Bowl. Watching them both lead those guys to 15-3 records, is something you admire and you respect. So congratulations to them.

Things like this aren't possible without a great coaching staff, and we certainly have that. When you look at it we're talking about great teachers, leaders, motivators of men, that are geared toward helping our players reach their highest potential every single day. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who still has more swag than anyone in our building, that's players included.

John Fassel our special teams coordinator. Assistant head coach Joe Barry. And then when you look at my guy Billy Nays who keeps it all together and Reggie Scott and Ted Rath. My family my support system such a blessing to have. But without all of this, it's about the players.

They're the most important thing. And I feel so blessed to be able to work with a great group of guys. Guys that from day one were accountable to each other. They were committed to each other. They did things the right way. And they built a culture among themselves, that something as a coach you feel proud to be a part of.

Some of those guys are here tonight. Defensive player of the year Aaron Donald. Offensive player of the year Todd Gurley. And our quarterback Jared Goff. These guys represent what's right about our locker room. Feel fortunate to work with not only special players but special people. The future looks bright with these guys leading the way. This is a credit to you guys. Thank you."

Februrary 26, 2018
Chiefs trading hot-headed CB Marcus Peters to the Rams

marcus-peters-on-missing-rams-star-aaron-donald-pay-the-man-480x270.jpg

he Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Rams agreed to a trade that will officially send two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Marcus Peters to LA when the new league year begins on March 14, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The Rams will send the Chiefs a 2018 fourth-round pick and a 2019 second rounder in exchange for Peters and Kansas City’s 2018 sixth-round selection, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. That’s not nearly the haul that was expected for Kansas City, which loses one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL.

Peters, 25, was a first-round pick in 2015 and earned Defensive Rookie of the Year honors when he led the NFL in interceptions with eight. In his three NFL seasons, he’s racked up 19 interceptions and another two in the postseason, which has easily outclassed the rest of the league.

The Rams are getting a dangerous cornerback who makes big plays at a rate at which Trumaine Johnson, an impending free agent, didn’t. By getting Peters, the Rams get a cornerback who has been better than Johnson and comes with a cap hit just over $3 million in 2017.

Eventually, the Rams will probably want a long-term contract with the cornerback, but it buys the team time to get other important pieces locked down first. There’s also the fact that he’s an absolute turnover machine: Phillips also has a history of getting the most out of strong personalities, just like he did with Aqib Talib in Denver: Peters should fit right in.

If the Rams can harness and direct his energy while avoiding his tendency for outbursts, Los Angeles will have another exciting young player in place for the future.
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/23/...ansas-city-chiefs-los-angeles-rams-trade-news

March 1, 2018
Les Snead wrote himself a Note: "Remember the Feeling"

0605_SPO_LDN-L-RAMS-OTA16_23961651.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS — Smarting from his team’s wild-card playoff exit, which followed a surprise NFC West title, Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead wrote himself a note.

“Remember the feeling,” he typed atop a Word document he refers to regularly to keep himself organized. The file features various to-do lists, reminders and ideas.

But the pain of being eliminated in the L.A. Coliseum by the Atlanta Falcons stung Snead, and he wanted to ensure that it remained fresh in his mind, thus the line. He changes the color or style of the font occasionally to keep the message fresh.

But on Thursday, it was "bold red," said Snead.

"You lose that playoff game," he recalled while speaking at the NFL scouting combine, "and when you leave the locker room for the last time, it’s not a fun trip home. And so, ‘Remember the feeling,’ means let’s use that as motivation to get a few steps farther next year.” The Rams' 11-5 campaign represented a dramatic turnaround for a franchise that went 4-12 in 2016 and hadn’t enjoyed a winning record since 2003.

Rookie head coach Sean McVay infused the organization with life. He turned running back Todd Gurley into the league's offensive player of the year while quarterback Jared Goff went from apparent bust to rising star. Coordinator Wade Phillips’ defense ranked among the best in the NFL. By year’s end, the Rams were making waves amid a fickle local fan base still unaccustomed to supporting a pro football franchise.

But Snead and McVay now deem the accomplishments of 2017 largely irrelevant. They have to take that approach to ensure long-term success, especially given the state of the NFC West.

After winning their final five games last season, the San Francisco 49ers have begun mounting a return to relevance after finding their franchise quarterback in Jimmy Garoppolo and laying a foundation with young talent. The Seattle Seahawks missed the playoffs for the first time since 2011 but remain a talented bunch even in the midst of a retooling effort.

As the Rams will soon learn, the burden of remaining atop the heap often dwarfs the pressure of trying to get there. “You got to this level of the video game, but you want to go farther,” Snead explained.

“Whether you were here last year trying to get to this level, or here this year trying to get to the next level, same desire to wake up every day and say, ‘OK, how do we get better?’ Because yesterday was successful, but not good enough.”

But the Rams remain the team to catch in the NFC West, and they aren't resting on their laurels.

Snead has already pulled off a trade for cornerback Marcus Peters and hopes to re-sign safety Lamarcus Joyner, cornerback Trumaine Johnson and receiver Sammy Watkins. On top of that, Snead is trying to secure defensive player of the year Aaron Donald to a contract extension. And Snead hasn't ruled out the possibility of additional trades for veterans or on draft day.

“It’s an urgency to get better. It’s an urgency to improve,” he said. “You have the things you want to address, and there’s a lot of avenues to address them. "It’s like some offensive coordinators — you like to attack, you like to put it in two-minute mode and get it done. I think that’s the philosophy of ‘Let’s urgently try to get better.' "
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...nfc-west-les-snead-seahawks-49-ers/386787002/

March 2, 2018
L.A. Rams to trade Robert Quinn to Miami Dolphins

20131207_mjr_su5_053.0_standard_400.0.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams are parting ways with defensive end Robert Quinn. The Rams agreed to trade the two-time Pro Bowler to the Miami Dolphins, a source informed of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport on Friday. The deal includes a mid-round draft pick going to Los Angeles and a swapping of late-round picks, Rapoport added.

In Quinn, the Dolphins get a proven pass rusher who still has two years left on his contract, which pays out roughly $24 million. Last year, the 27-year-old recorded 8.5 sacks and 32.5 tackles. The acquisition of a mid-round pick for Quinn helps the Rams, in part, find another pick after losing one this year in the Peters trade. It also frees up significant room under the salary cap.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-rams-to-trade-robert-quinn-to-miami-dolphins

March 6, 2018
Rams use "Franchise Tag" on Lamarcus Joyner

2d38d15c52ada604652b9cf0483dd822-original.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams placed their non-exclusive franchise tag on defensive back Lamarcus Joyner on Tuesday, the last day for NFL teams to use the designation. The value of the tag for Joyner is $11.287 million for the 2018 season. The Rams, who would still like to sign Joyner to a long-term deal, have until July 16 to sign him to a multiyear contract or he will have to play the season on the franchise tag.

The Rams' decision to franchise Joyner also means that wide receiver Sammy Watkins will be an unrestricted free agent next week. The Rams' franchise decision came down to Joyner or Watkins. Joyner spent his first three seasons primarily as a slot corner for the Rams, but he excelled when given a chance to play safety under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips in 2017. Joyner earned the third-highest grade among safeties by Pro Football Focus, finishing with three interceptions -- after not recording any in the previous three years -- and 49 tackles in 12 games.

Joyner, 27, allowed a 31.8 passer rating when targeted and 0.36 yards per coverage snaps, ranked 12th among 59 safeties, according to Pro Football Focus. He was one of only two safeties to not miss a tackle in the passing game, and he also covered slot receivers when needed.

Joyner is an aggressive hitter with great ball skills. He was selected in the second round of the 2014 draft after a standout stint as a safety at Florida State, but he played only in sub-packages with the Rams while under Jeff Fisher.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ams-place-their-franchise-tag-lamarcus-joyner

March 7, 2018
Rams trade Ogletree to Giants for 4th & 6th round picks

a55i9885jpg-911d34093c561551.jpg

Alec Ogletree is on the move from Los Angeles to New York. Ogletree, a linebacker who has played his entire five-year career with the Rams, is being traded to the Giants. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Giants will send their fourth-round pick and their sixth-round pick to the Rams for Ogletree. The Rams’ 2019 seventh-round pick will also be part of the deal.

No trade can become official until the league year starts in a week, but trade agreements can be made, and the Rams have been active on the trade market. The 26-year-old Ogletree started every game except the Rams’ meaningless Week 17 game last season. But with a $7 million roster bonus coming up and a $3 million base salary, it’s not surprising the Rams wanted his $10 million cap hit off their books. Now the Giants will take that hit, and hope they’ve bolstered their defense.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/07/rams-trade-alec-ogletree-to-giants-for-draft-picks/

March 8, 2018
"Trade-Happy" Rams acquire cornerback Aqib Talib

30603218_2039938239604358_7365566890539745280_n.jpg

Another day, another trade for the Rams. Also, another highly regarded cornerback, as Los Angeles continues to reshape its defense ahead of free agency and the draft. The Rams acquired Pro Bowler Aqib Thursday from the Broncos after trading for all-pro cornerback Marcus Peters earlier in the offseason.

The deal with Denver comes one day after Los Angeles traded linebacker Alec Ogeltree to the Giants, which occurred a few days after the Rams dealt pass-rusher Robert Quinn to the Dolphins. According to NFL Network, the Rams are sending the Broncos a fifth-round pick in exchange for Talib, and Pro Football Talk reported that Los Angeles will take on the entirety of the two years left on the cornerback’s contract, set to pay him $11 million this year and $8 million in 2019.

All announced NFL trades will become official when the new league year begins on Wednesday. By pairing the 32-year-old Talib, whose 34 interceptions are the most in the NFL since he was drafted in 2008, with the 25-year-old Peters, whose 19 interceptions over the past three years are the most in the NFL over that span, the Rams should prove a difficult challenge for opposing outside receivers.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ib-talib-from-broncos/?utm_term=.0c467fb0ba2f

March 8, 2016
Los Angeles Rams sign CB Sam Shields

Sam+Shields+7Nw9qyVw9Khm.jpg

The Rams have signed the former Pro Bowl CB to see if he can make the comeback. The Los Angeles Rams continued to address the secondary signing former Green Bay Packers CB Sam Shields today: Shields is a 30-year old CB who spent all seven years of his career on the Packers. He totaled 245 tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, 18 interceptions, and 66 pass deflections making the Pro Bowl in 2014.

Shields was ultimately cut in 2016 after he managed to play only one game due to a concussion history that was troublesome. He sat out the entire 2017 season in hopes of a return, and he finally gets one with the Rams. The Rams hosted him last week for a visit, and must have felt good enough about his physicals and health to think he could contribute moving forward. Ian Rapoport: Rams signed CB Sam Shields, away from football for a year, to a 1-year, $1M and change contract.
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...cb-sam-shields-green-bay-packers-transactions

March 13, 2018
Rams agree to contract terms with cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman

nrc.jpg

The Rams continued to build depth in what has become an extremely talented secondary, reaching an agreement Tuesday to re-sign cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman. Terms of the contract, which cannot be signed until Wednesday, were not disclosed. NFL.com reported that Robey-Coleman will receive a three-year, $15.75-million contract, with $8 million guaranteed.

Robey-Coleman, 26, signed with the Rams as a free agent before last season, and mainly played as a slot cornerback. The former USC standout performed well in Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme, starting four games and intercepting two passes. After the season, Robey-Coleman said that his preference was to remain with the Rams.

Now he is part of a remade secondary that includes cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib, Pro Bowl selections who were acquired in trades that will become official Wednesday, and veteran Green Bay Packers cornerback Sam Shields, who did not play last season because of concussions but signed a contract with the Rams last week.

Kayvon Webster, a starter last season who is recovering from Achilles surgery, Troy Hill and Kevin Peterson are among other cornerbacks on the roster. The Rams on Monday submitted a minimum-salary tender to Hill, an exclusive-rights free agent. Hill's tender was for $705,000. Safety Lamarcus Joyner last week received the franchise tag for $11.2 million. Second-year pro John Johnson is the other starting safety.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-robey-coleman-20180313-story.html

March 14th at 4 p.m. ET, NFL 2018 free-agency
NFL+Free+Agency.jpg

There are two full months between the NFL Combine and the NFL Draft, and that schedule void is filled with the beginning of the league year in March, which in turn marks the official beginning of free agency. On March 14th at 4 p.m. ET, the 2018 free-agency period (and trading period) began.

However, beginning March 12, teams were permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who would become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2017 player contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 14. But a contract could not be executed with a new club until free agency began.
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...-key-dates-calendar/7g2o83j5kqt71oa2v83ys5n67

March 16, 2018
Rams have Re-Signed C John Sullivan to a two-year deal

gettyimages-885846910-e1521100486648.jpg

Rams re-signed C John Sullivan to a 2 year, $10 million contract. Sullivan flirted with the Giants and Redskins this week but was likely only doing so to get the Rams to up their offer.

He revived his career last season in L.A. under coach Sean McVay, starting every game and receiving plus marks from Pro Football Focus for his run blocking. It's a key re-signing for the Rams.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4930/john-sullivan

March 19, 2018
Rams re-sign Dominique Easley

gettyimages-630775646-e1521467290371.jpg

The Rams are keeping defensive tackle Dominique Easley in Los Angeles. Los Angeles re-signed Easley to a one-year deal, the team announced Monday. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported that Easley's contract has a base value of $1.85 million with a max of $2.85 million with incentives.

Easley missed all of 2017 due to a torn ACL suffered last August. The defensive lineman played a productive role in L.A. in 2016, compiling 35 tackles and 3.5 sacks alongside Aaron Donald in 16 games.

Easley, a former first-round pick of the New England Patriots, owns disruptive talent, but his career has been marred by injury. He tore both his ACLs in college. The successive one-year deals speak to the long-term concern about his career.

Still just 25 years old, Easley can be a productive player next to Donald in Wade Phillips' defense. The Rams, however, could still look to upgrade the position. L.A. is expected to meet with free agent Ndamukong Suh on Tuesday.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-agency-roundup-rams-resign-dominique-easley

March 22, 2018
Rams sign LB Ramik Wilson

Ramik-Wilson-280x280.jpg

The Rams announced a one-year deal with inside linebacker Ramik Wilson. Wilson played three seasons with the Chiefs after they made him a fourth-round pick out of Georgia in 2015. He has played 30 games in his career.

He was set to become a restricted free agent when the new league year began last week, but the Chiefs declined to place a tender on Wilson. That made him an unrestricted free agent. Wilson, 25, has 112 tackles, an interception, three pass breakups and a forced fumble in his career.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/22/rams-sign-ramik-wilson-to-one-year-deal/

March 26, 2018
Rams signing DT "Ndamukong Suh" to 1-year, $14M deal

new-rams-defensive-tackle-ndamukong-suh-likes-practice-and-its-benefits-480x270.jpg

The best remaining player in free agency has made a decision on where he'll be playing for at least the next year. Ndamukong Suh is signing with the Los Angeles Rams on a one-year, $14 million deal, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

Suh made his decision after visiting with the Saints and Titans last week before visiting L.A. on Tuesday. He initially planned to visit the Raiders on Wednesday before deciding to skip the scheduled meetup. Despite not hosting Suh on a visit, the Jets emerged as a serious contender for his services late in the week, but rescinded their offer on Sunday.

The former Miami Dolphins defensive tackle, who was released by the team at the start of free agency last week, tallied 15.5 sacks and 181 combined tackles in his time in Miami, despite eating up double teams constantly. Since 2010, he ranks second among NFL DTs in sacks (51.5), first in QB hits (147), second in total pressures (381.5) and first in tackles for loss (103).

In Los Angeles, Suh will pair for at least one season with Aaron Donald, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year. The two defensive tackles have made the first-team All-Pro squad six times between them.

Suh isn't the only massive name Les Snead and Co. have acquired this offseason. Los Angeles reshaped its secondary before free agency, making separate trades to bring AFC West standouts Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib to the organization, tagging Lamarcus Joyner, re-signing Nickell Robey-Coleman and signing Packers veteran Sam Shields.

In acquiring a trio of potential Hall of Famers this offseason, the Rams have constructed their own 21st century version of the Fearsome Foresome -- two bulldozers on the line and two ballhawks roaming the secondary -- all captained by one of the best defensive coordinators in NFL history, Wade Phillips.

But as quickly as this Rams' defensive dynasty has been put together, it will be equally fleeting. Los Angeles has Donald, Suh and Joyner under contract for only one season. In other words, just one full year into the Sean McVay era and with Jared Goff still on his rookie contract, the Rams are going all in now. It's Super Bowl or bust in 2018.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ms-signing-dt-ndamukong-suh-to-1year-14m-deal

April 3, 2018
Brandin Cooks "Traded from Patriots to Rams" for 1st and 6th-round picks

usatsi_10847016.jpg

Les Snead isn't finished wheeling and dealing. The Los Angeles Rams have acquired receiver Brandin Cooks and a fourth-round pick in a trade with the New England Patriots, the team announced via its official site. The Rams are sending their first-round pick in the upcoming draft (No. 23 selection) and a sixth-round pick to the Patriots, according to the announcement.

Cooks lands on his second new team in as many years, being dealt from the organization that acquired him via trade last offseason. The speedster, who was sorely missed in the latter stages of Super Bowl LII, leaves New England after posting a 65-catch, 1,082-yard season that also included seven touchdowns.

Cooks is perhaps the best receiver to be traded twice over a young career that has shown plenty of promise and production so far. The game-breaking wideout is one of only three players with 1,000-plus receiving yards and five-plus receiving touchdowns in each of the last three seasons. The other two: Antonio Brown and Larry Fitzgerald.

The 24-year-old moves to a team featuring a quarterback with whom he is familiar (thanks to sharing representation via Rep1 Sports) and one that was in need of another deep threat after the departure of Sammy Watkins. Cooks brings his top-end speed and big-play ability to a receiving corps that now features targets for every level of the field, and does so affordably in 2018, as he's in the fifth and final year of his rookie deal (due $8.5 million).

The Cooks deal is the latest move by Snead to stock his contending team with proven talent. Most of that occurred this offseason on the defensive side, but Cooks now stands to make Los Angeles' offense a complete threat that is fully capable of taking advantage of Jared Goff's arm.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-acquire-brandin-cooks-in-trade-with-patriots

April 28, 2018
Rams trade Tavon Austin to the Dallas Cowboys

usa_today_10849429.jpg

Los Angeles traded wide receiver Tavon Austin to Dallas on Saturday, ending his tenure with the franchise. In exchange, the Rams received the 192nd overall pick, which they used to select Maine offensive lineman Jamil Demby. After suffering a wrist injury during the offseason program and a hamstring injury during training camp in 2017, Austin’s role on offense was noticeably reduced.

Head coach Sean McVay consistently praised Austin for his positive, team-first attitude throughout the 2017 season. But the wideout’s troubles fielding punts led to the club replacing him with wide receiver Pharoh Cooper. Austin had only 13 receptions for 47 yards last year, and 270 yards rushing on 59 carries. Still, Austin’s demeanor and competitiveness made Saturday’s trade a tougher decision than it might have been otherwise.

We felt like that opportunity and all things being considered it was the right thing and to do right by him as well.” And with that, McVay said he wishes Austin well under the guidance of Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan.
https://www.therams.com/news/snead-mcvay-reflect-on-tavon-austin-trade-20613364

April 29, 2018
Los Angeles Rams' 2018 draft picks

2018-NFL-Draft.jpg

Round 3, No. 89 overall: Joe Noteboom, OT, TCU: Noteboom, 6-foot-5 and 309 pounds, played right tackle as a sophomore in 2015, then switched to left tackle in 2016 and 2017, never once missing a game. He is athletic, but could stand to add more muscle in the NFL. He has good technique, but has also struggled with consistency.

Round 4, No. 111 overall: Brian Allen, C, Michigan State: Allen spent all of his time at center during his senior year in 2017, earning second-team All-Big Ten honors. But he spent plenty of time at both guard spots in his previous three seasons. He was a champion wrestler in high school and is considered physical at the point of attack.

Round 4, No. 135 overall: John Franklin-Myers, DE, Stephen F. Austin: The Rams see Franklin-Myers mostly as a 5-technique, a spot that is currently filled by starter Michael Brockers and backup Dominique Easley. As things stand, Franklin-Myers could compete for playing time in sub packages. He profiles best as a 3-4 defensive end and has some intriguing upside if he can improve his technique. His wingspan was more than 82 inches at the NFLPA game.

Round 5, No. 148 overall: Micah Kiser, LB, Virginia: Kiser might have a chance to earn some playing time. The Rams have one solidified inside linebacker spot with Mark Barron, but the other, in base sets, is seemingly up for grabs, previously between Cory Littleton, Ramik Wilson and Bryce Hager. Kiser could be a good fit against the run, but his coverage skills have been called into question.

Round 5, No. 160 overall: Obo Okoronkwo, LB, Oklahoma: On the Rams, Okoronkwo is going to get to do what he does best -- rush the passer. The Rams are without their two starting outside linebackers from last season, with Robert Quinn dealt to the Miami Dolphins and Connor Barwin still unsigned as a free agent. Okoronkwo can compete for playing time along with Matt Longacre and Samson Ebukam.

Round 6, No. 176 overall: John Kelly, RB, Tennessee: Kelly seems to fit as a change-of-pace running back for Todd Gurley, a role the Rams were hoping would be occupied by Lance Dunbar last season. Kelly is listed at 5-foot-10 and 216 pounds. He is a bit undersized, but is considered a tough runner who can play all three downs if needed.

Round 6, No. 192 overall: Jamil Demby, OT, Maine: Demby, 6-foot-5 and 319 pounds, was a four-year starter at left tackle. He isn't an elite athlete, but he is considered a smart player with an ability to punch, move his feet and anchor in pass protection, according to NFL.com draft expert Lance Zierlein.

Round 6, No. 195 overall: Sebastian Joseph, DT, Rutgers: Listed at 6-foot-4, 304 pounds, Joseph spent time as a 3-technique before moving to nose tackle. The redshirt senior is considered tough, athletic and quick. He can be a capable run defender, but there are questions about him as a pass-

Round 6, No. 205 overall: Trevon Young, DE, Louisville: Young suffered a major hip injury during a 2015 bowl game that prompted him to miss the 2016 season. But he returned in 2017 and started 12 of 13 games, finishing with 12 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and five pass breakups. Listed at 6-foot-4, 258 pounds with 33 3/4-inch arms, Young has good length but needs more power at the point of attack.

Round 7, No. 231 overall: Travin Howard, LB, TCU: Howard is the first player in TCU history to lead his team in tackles three consecutive seasons. Howard was listed at 6-foot-1, 213 pounds on his collegiate page. That might sound small for his position, but Mark Barron, another converted safety, is of similar build. Howard was first-team All-Big 12 for a second straight year in 2017.

Round 7, No. 244 overall: Justin Lawler, DE, SMU: Lawler, listed at 6-foot-4 and 265 pounds, led his team with 15.5 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks and 10 quarterback hurries during his senior season. He finished ranked sixth in the nation in sacks per game and was named first-team All-American Athletic Conference.
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...-rams-2018-draft-analysis-for-every-selection

May 21, 2018
Rams' Ogbonnia Okoronkwo has foot surgery

WAUWWBQYCEJTTJR.20161013212334.jpg

Former Oklahoma defensive end Ogbonnia Okoronkwo has undergone foot surgery, per The Orange County Register’s Rich Hammond. Okonrokwo, who was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in fifth round of the 2018 NFL Draft.

He was absent from the teams OTA practice on Monday and will return at some point during the team’s summer training camp, Rams coach Sean McVay told Hammond. Okonronkwo is expected to play at linebacker with the Rams, though he’ll now be getting less reps during practice and camp this summer than intially expected now having undergone surgery.
https://www.diehards.com/oklahoma/oklahoma-ogbonnia-okoronkwo-foot-surgery-rams-sooners

May 29, 2018
Greg Zuerlein returns to Rams practice "after back surgery"

500x281_greg-zuerlein_1sc5xc2aqupd21qksuzrwqp6fw.jpg

THOUSAND OAKS — Between the bustle of two practice fields, with Rams running about, one of the smallest guys on the grass made some of the most significant moves Tuesday.

Greg Zuerlein teed up a ball and booted it, kickoff-style. It’s something he’s done thousands of times in a six-year NFL career, but Zuerlein is only five months removed from back surgery. His progress during the Rams’ offseason program indicates that he will be ready to fully return for the start of the regular season.

“I don’t think there’s any reason why I wouldn’t be if I stay healthy,” Zuerlein said after a team practice at Cal Lutheran. “And I feel good. Everything should be fine.”

On many NFL teams, the summer status of a kicker wouldn’t be news, but Zuerlein has been a major part of the Rams’ offense in the past two seasons, to the point where quarterback Jared Goff said he felt at ease when the team crossed midfield, with the knowledge that they would at least get three points.

After a mid-career slump, Zuerlein rebounded in 2016 and was even better last season, when he made 38 of 40 field-goal attempts and was selected to the NFC’s Pro Bowl team.

Zuerlein didn’t make it to the game, though, because he underwent back surgery in December. More surprising was the revelation that Zuerlein had been kicking through back problems all season and still performed at a near-perfect level.

“It wasn’t comfortable,” Zuerlein said, “but it’s just one of those things. Everyone is dinged up or has something that is not 100 percent. I just went through the season and tried not to let it bother me until I got to the point where I couldn’t.”

That moment came before the Rams’ Dec. 17 game at Seattle when the Rams weren’t even sure if Zuerlein would be able to kick. He made two field-goal attempts and four of his five extra-point attempts, then needed a ride home from special teams coach John Fassel because he couldn’t drive.

The Rams signed free-agent kicker Sam Ficken to replace Zuerlein, and Ficken remains on the Rams’ roster because they didn’t know exactly how Zuerlein’s recovery would go.

It seems likely that Zuerlein will be held out of live drills during the final two weeks of the Rams’ offseason program, and while he stopped short of saying it directly, Zuerlein seemed to indicate that he could do more right now if the Rams desired it.

“It’s just following the program that the trainers set out for us,” Zuerlein said. “So I’ve just got to follow it. … Everything has been going well. No complaints. Feel good. Just happy to be out here.”
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/29/greg-zuerlein-returns-to-rams-practice-after-back-surgery/

June 12, 2018
Aaron Donald "Skips Mandatory Minicamp" seeking deal

836689b3e83382e574355a74e544e9d0503bfbd2v2_00.jpg

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) — All-Pro defensive tackle Aaron Donald is not attending the Los Angeles Rams' mandatory minicamp while he continues his lengthy quest for a lucrative new contract.

Donald wasn't on the field with his teammates for the Rams' first minicamp workout Tuesday, and he wasn't at their training complex for their off-field commitments Monday, either. The NFL Defensive Player of the Year also skipped the Rams' voluntary workout program over the previous two months.

The 27-year-old Donald doesn't have extensive leverage in the negotiation because the Rams theoretically could keep him for another three seasons through 2021 under a franchise tag. Neither side has disclosed their contract proposals, but Donald is widely thought to be seeking a contract big enough to make him one of the top-paid players at any position, with a salary comparable to the wages of the NFL's better quarterbacks.

Donald is expected to be the foundation of a standout defensive line alongside Rams newcomer Ndamukong Suh, who agreed to a one-year, $14 million deal in the offseason.

Donald is missing several weeks of work with the Rams' revamped defense, which also added star cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters while losing three veteran leaders: Trumaine Johnson, Robert Quinn and captain Alec Ogletree.

"He's the MVP, so we know what he's going to do when he gets here," Talib said. "Everybody is just going to be themselves. If you're a leader, it's going to happen naturally. Nobody has to go out of their way to be a leader, go out of their way to hoorah and just yell stuff out. Everybody will just be themselves."

NOTES: Donald is the only player unaccounted for at minicamp, McVay confirmed. ... McVay is canceling Thursday's scheduled practice and taking his team on a tour of the franchise's under-construction stadium in Inglewood, California. The Rams and the Los Angeles Chargers will open the multibillion-dollar Hollywood Park stadium complex in 2020.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ips-mandatory-minicamp-seeking-deal/35973293/

June 14, 2018
Rams wrap up mandatory minicamp led by 'Strong Personalities'

636646803832316926-Rams-Football.jpg

It’s technically not even a live practice, but man, is it great to have football back. The Los Angeles Rams finished up their last day of mandatory minicamp Wednesday with a brief practice including special teams drills, positional work and light throwing sessions. It did not include any scrimmaging, contact or, most notably, reigning AP Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald.

But don’t fret Rams fans, because the team sure isn’t. “It’s something you can’t do anything about. I don’t stay up all night every night,” defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said while slightly laughing. “He didn’t come until later last year and he did OK.” Without the returning defensive star, a lot of attention focused on the new faces in the crowd that bring much more than talent to the Rams roster.

“These guys have great personalities and they also have a swagger and confidence about themselves and they love football,” said head coach Sean McVay in regards to recently acquired All-Pro cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib. “That’s what we want, guys that love football.”

The two have proven their worth on the field over their combined 13 years, tallying a total of 53 interceptions and seven Pro Bowl appearances; however, it’s their attitude that stands out to Phillips. “You don’t want players that do everything you say. You want them to show some initiative.”

The 70-year-old veteran coordinator coached Talib in Denver as a member of the 2016 Super Bowl winning Broncos team and is well aware of what he is dealing with when instructing the corner. “If there’s an argument or something going on, Talib is going to take the other side,” Phillips said with a smile. “So I already know that about him. He’s going to argue about what rap singer is the best, or whatever.”

“With Coach McVay’s energy and ability to lead a room, you think, ‘we got a shot!'” special teams coordinator John Fassel said. “There was zero complacency after what we thought was a good season.”

McVay says he will go on vacation for a little now that minicamp is over before training camp arrives because “once you get close to training camp, you start to get that itch.” Others, including running back Todd Gurley and defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh, have not made concrete plans, but are welcoming the time to relax with open arms. As for wide receiver Brandin Cooks, he may very well spend his time just binging cartoons.

“My favorite show is SpongeBob Squarepants,” Cooks said stone faced. When asked if he still watches it, without missing a beat, he responded, “Absolutely! I’m not joking either.” While vacation plans are up in the air, one thing is not: football is back!
https://www.foxsports.com/west/stor...y-minicamp-led-by-strong-personalities-061318

June 14, 2018
McVay cancels final day of minicamp as Rams tour Inglewood Stadium site

w620-1c2d337d8a2e7725a7fad423c6566e83.jpg

In a few years, Jared Goff will throw passes to Rams receivers in a new stadium in Inglewood. On Thursday, during a team tour of the stadium site, the ascending star quarterback fired spirals to appreciative construction workers safely perched a level above what will be the playing surface.

“You can truly see the shape of the stadium,” Goff said. “That’s what’s kind of surprising to me — to see actually how far along they are.”

Rams coach Sean McVay canceled the final day of a mandatory minicamp so players could tour the Inglewood site and Playa Vista preview center, where potential suite and season-ticket buyers can visit.

“When you think L.A., and you think about the magnitude of this city, this kind of feels like what you’d expect,” McVay said as he looked up and surveyed a stadium that will seat more than 70,000 for football and can be expanded to accommodate about 100,000 for other events.

The stadium will host the Super Bowl in 2022 and the championship game of the College Football Playoff in 2023, is expected to have a role in the 2026 World Cup and will be part of the 2028 Olympics.

Players and coaches rode buses from the Rams’ Thousand Oaks training facility to the Inglewood site. They were given custom Rams hardhats, bright yellow safety vests and protective gloves and glasses. “Welcome to your new home,” Kevin Demoff, the Rams’ chief operating officer and vice-president for football operations told the team as it gathered in a conference room for a video presentation.

Players and coaches then reboarded buses that drove them through part of a 300-acre parcel that is dotted with construction cranes and also will be home to a 6,000-seat performance venue, office and studio space for NFL Media, restaurant and retail space, a lake and a hotel, and residences.

The buses eventually descended a ramp 100 feet to the field level of the stadium, where players, coaches and Kroenke took in the view as round-the-clock construction continued.
http://www.mcall.com/la-sp-rams-stadium-20180614-story.html

July 3, 2018
Rams Jamon Brown suspended for violating substance policy

636662289966652463-USATSI-10900623.jpg

Los Angeles Rams right guard Jamon Brown has been suspended without pay by the NFL for the first two games of the season for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

Brown will be allowed to participate in training camp and preseason games, but will not be on the active roster for the season opener against the Oakland Raiders or for the Rams' Week 2 matchup against NFC West rival Arizona. Brown, a fourth-year pro, can return to the active roster on Sept. 17 in preparation for the Rams' Week 3 game against the Los Angeles Chargers.

In a statement released on Twitter, Brown apologized and explained that an "isolated mistake" 18 months ago led to his suspension. His suspension is a considerable loss for a team that is looking to win a second consecutive division title and is considered a Super Bowl contender. Last season, Brown started 16 games as the Rams became the only team in the NFL to start the same five linemen for 15 consecutive weeks.

The group allowed 28 sacks and helped spring running back Todd Gurley for 1,305 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns. Third-year pro Austin Blythe is among the candidates to start in place of Brown. Last season Blythe saw time at center and guard. The Rams open training camp July 26.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...suspended-two-games-substance-abuse-violation

July 17, 2018
Rams sign Brandin Cooks to 5-year 80 million dollar extension

8524432-2018-05-22-original.jpg

Acquired in an offseason trade with the New England Patriots, Cooks, 24, has yet to play a snap for the Rams, but coach Sean McVay liked what he saw from the receiver throughout the offseason program.

"Brandin Cooks has shown himself to be a class act on and off the field since the first day he joined our team," McVay said in a statement. "He's a proven professional in this league and signing him to a long-term contract was always our goal."

Cooks said he knew he wanted to sign a long-term contract shortly after arriving at the team's training facility and observing the culture established by McVay.

"Even before I got here, you saw something special going on with this team, with the coach, our great owner, and the teammates that I'm involved with," Cooks said. "It's a young culture that is very energetic."

The Rams are coming off an 11-5 season that included their first NFC West Division title in 14 years and their first playoff appearance since 2004. A fifth-year pro, Cooks is entering the final season of his rookie contract, which is scheduled to pay him $8.4 million. His extension will keep him with the Rams through the 2023 season.

"I just knew that this is a place where I want to be for a really long time," Cooks said, adding, "I'm just excited to get Game 1 let alone six years. So that's what I'm focused on now."

Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reports the extension is worth $80 million, meaning Cooks is on the books for $88 million over six years with the Rams, including what he is scheduled to make in 2018.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...er-brandin-cooks-five-year-contract-extension

2017 LA Rams Stats
la-rams.png

OFFENSE
Off AVG Points Per Game 29.9 Rank #1
Off Total Yards Per Game 361.5 Rank #10
Off Pass Yards Per Game 239.4 Rank #10
Off Rush Yards Per Game 122.1 Rank #8
Off 3rd Down Conversion 41.1% Rank #9
Off AVG Yards Per Pass 7.4 Rank #7
Off AVG Yards Per Rush 4.3 Rank #7
Off AVG Yards Per Play 5.8 Rank #6

DEFENSE
Def AVG Points Per Game 20.6 Rank #12
Def Total Yards Per Game 339.5 Rank #19
Def Pass Yards Per Game 217.2 Rank #13
Def Rush Yards Per Game 122.3 Rank #28
Def 3rd Down Conversion 37.8% Rank #14
Def AVG Yards Per Pass 6.3 Rank #10
Def AVG Yards Per Rush 4.7 Rank #30
Def AVG Yards Per Play 5.3 Rank #18
Def Total Interceptions (18) Rank #6
Def Total Fumble recov (10) Rank #11
Def Takeaways Fum/Int (28) Rank #5
Def Total Sacks (48) Rank #4
Team Total Points Differential +149 Rank #3

172-1134648724.gif

July 23-25, 2018
Rookies & Veterans "Report to Training Camp"

RAMS_4x2.jpg

The Rams will hold 13 practices at UC Irvine during their 2018 Training Camp

August 9th - August 30th: 2018 Preseason Schedule
673534a97d59c35aff6a0be6f227bf29-original.jpg

I hope all of you faithful Rams fans enjoyed this timeline presentation of the "Last 15 Months."

Training camp begins this week and I lift my glass to all of you saying cheers!

Go 2018 LA RAMS!
41ftlCdihOL._SL160_.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There are very posters that I feel I'm not worthy to @Florida_Ram is one of them....Just WOW and even backwards, it still just WOW.
giphy.gif

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Written like a real pro.

You could teach some of the sports media writers plenty.

Hats off and thank you for the work!

You are always a fantastic read my man.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Calling Tavon Austin "Schrodinger's WR" was hilarious. Not sure if that was new or original, but it was hilarious.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Appreciate the kind words from all of you. I tried to make it as short as possible but when it comes to our Rams, I have a hard time cutting out things.

Anyway, getting to this first week of training camp felt like a year since that Falcons loss.

It's time for this years 2018 Rams to make us a whole bunch of new exciting memories. I'm as stoked and pumped up for this season as all of you awesome folks here on ROD.

f9ffe2cfad9b37a706be2be09a5cbc56-original.jpg

rodlogo05175.png

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
It had to be long Florida. So much changed and so much happened, anything shorter and you would have left something out.

One of the best posts of the year.:help:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Good read, good read. We only faced the Cardinals once this year?