Los Angeles Rams' Sean McVay in 'better mood' since Matthew Stafford's arrival

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

7:14 PM ET​

• i

Lindsey ThiryESPN

INGLEWOOD, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay has been rather chipper recently. On Thursday, McVay admitted that new quarterback Matthew Stafford has brought it out of him.
During a news conference at SoFi Stadium conducted by the Super Bowl host committee, McVay was asked for his thoughts on Stafford.
"I think I've been very happy," McVay said, smiling. "Everybody says, 'Man, you just seem like you're in a better mood this offseason,' and I said, 'Damn right I am.'"

Two weeks after losing to the Green Bay Packers in a divisional playoff, the Rams traded quarterback Jared Goff, two first-round picks and a third-round pick to the Detroit Lions in exchange for Stafford.
Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in 2016, had spent five seasons with the Rams, including four with McVay. However, after winning back-to-back division titles and an NFC championship together, their relationship began to falter after a difficult loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII. Ultimately, Stafford's request for a trade after 12 seasons with the Lions marked the end for Goff in L.A.
With Stafford's arrival, the Rams are hopeful of a return to the Super Bowl, which will be played in February at SoFi Stadium.

"This guy, he's a special guy," McVay, 35, said about Stafford. "I think one of the best ways that I can describe him when you hear people that have been around him, there's a known confidence where when he walks into a room, you feel his presence, but he's got a great humility about himself. Everybody loves being around him, and he's one of those guys that's a true igniter. He makes everybody around him better."
Stafford, 33, said working with McVay has been "great."
"Obviously I've got a lot of respect for what he's been able to do and accomplish at a young age as a head coach in the NFL and gotten to play against some of his offenses at certain times, so I got a lot of respect for him," Stafford said. "It's been great working with him and just trying to get this thing rolling."
The Rams concluded their offseason program Thursday with a mandatory minicamp practice at SoFi Stadium in front of an anticipated crowd of about 30,000.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Good now he can go back to actually looking his age. Not going to lie, dude looked stressed and looked like he aged about 10 years. I got a good feeling about Stafford glad he is on this team.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
I mean it'd be a bit odd to not be happy about trading a guy at the same position adding two first round picks to him and not being happier with the guy you got lol.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it's sad in this day and age that you can't say anything without people trying to use those words against you.

what is it with people?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I suspect nobody at Rams park likes Lindsey Thiry. Just look at how they answer her questions seems to me at least like she's someone they endure.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I suspect nobody at Rams park likes Lindsey Thiry. Just look at how they answer her questions seems to me at least like she's someone they endure.
You can tell when players and coaches are fielding questions from some of the press like it’s a hostage video with the gun just off camera.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
The absolute worst. Can't believe she still has the Rams job in LA. I still blame her for pretty much single handedly turning Gurley against the LA media. Waste of space.
Agree with this.

Jourdan Rodrigue is so freaking awesome, we are lucky to have her as a Rams reporter.

But Thiry is a shit-stirring, click baiting hack. Gurley would answer her questions while looking at her like he just hated her freaking guts.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

7:14 PM ET​

• i

Lindsey ThiryESPN

INGLEWOOD, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay has been rather chipper recently. On Thursday, McVay admitted that new quarterback Matthew Stafford has brought it out of him.
During a news conference at SoFi Stadium conducted by the Super Bowl host committee, McVay was asked for his thoughts on Stafford.
"I think I've been very happy," McVay said, smiling. "Everybody says, 'Man, you just seem like you're in a better mood this offseason,' and I said, 'Damn right I am.'"

Two weeks after losing to the Green Bay Packers in a divisional playoff, the Rams traded quarterback Jared Goff, two first-round picks and a third-round pick to the Detroit Lions in exchange for Stafford.
Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in 2016, had spent five seasons with the Rams, including four with McVay. However, after winning back-to-back division titles and an NFC championship together, their relationship began to falter after a difficult loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII. Ultimately, Stafford's request for a trade after 12 seasons with the Lions marked the end for Goff in L.A.
With Stafford's arrival, the Rams are hopeful of a return to the Super Bowl, which will be played in February at SoFi Stadium.

"This guy, he's a special guy," McVay, 35, said about Stafford. "I think one of the best ways that I can describe him when you hear people that have been around him, there's a known confidence where when he walks into a room, you feel his presence, but he's got a great humility about himself. Everybody loves being around him, and he's one of those guys that's a true igniter. He makes everybody around him better."
Stafford, 33, said working with McVay has been "great."
"Obviously I've got a lot of respect for what he's been able to do and accomplish at a young age as a head coach in the NFL and gotten to play against some of his offenses at certain times, so I got a lot of respect for him," Stafford said. "It's been great working with him and just trying to get this thing rolling."
The Rams concluded their offseason program Thursday with a mandatory minicamp practice at SoFi Stadium in front of an anticipated crowd of about 30,000.
FFS Thiry, what the hell is wrong with you?!?!?

You twist McVay's words to make them seem "controversial", and then you have to write even MORE to address the bullshit non-story that you yourself created!

Really hope someone on the Rams calls her out on her bullshit...!

Apt43Rams

UDFA
I agree with the above posters. I stopped clicking on her articles a year or two ago - I didn’t want to contribute to her getting “clicks”. Always felt she was stirring things up to provide more content. Love Jourdan at the Athletic. I appreciated Vinnie’s work on the Athletic before he moved onto be there Raiders writer.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its all the media. Goes hand in hand with the only news being bad news (which is why I never watch the news). Generally like to dig for and report on negative stories because it's more interesting to the general public (I guess?)

Rich Risen did it to Goff a week ago or so. Asked him when the relationship deteriorated - when Goff sidestepped the question he straight up asked him again.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
She works for ESPN, right? About Par for the course. I truly can't believe that station is still on the air.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
At the risk of sounding sexist, maybe she just needs a good hard screw!

Zodi

Hall of Fame

it's sad in this day and age that you can't say anything without people trying to use those words against you.

what is it with people?

And people wonder why Belicheat is the way he is eh