Los Angeles Rams need to explore additional options at kicker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Los Angeles Rams need to explore additional options at kicker

by Nick Fox22 hours ago

At 4-0, the Los Angeles Rams are where they want to be, with the exception of their kicking game. Here are a few names they might consider adding as they wait for Greg Zuerlein to return from injury.
Los Angeles Rams replacement kicker Sam Ficken has gone 1-for-3 in the last two games in Greg Zuerlein‘s absence. Sean McVay was unwilling to commit to him after his missed filed goal that would have clinched the game on Thursday in the fourth quarter against the Minnesota Vikings.

So the Rams are left evaluating the kicking position. On the one hand, they are simply biding time until Zuerlein returns, which could be as soon as a couple of weeks.

On the other hand, kicking has become one of the most important aspects of the game, resulting in wins and losses around the league every week. The Rams would be wise to give it some attention, as a missed kick could cost a game, a first-round bye, or home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

In the end, here are three kickers the Rams would do well to consider.

Nick Novak

Novak has been a journeyman kicker in his career, playing for six different teams. He is 37, but kickers stay relevant into their late 30’s, so age should not be an issue, and all that bouncing around could presuppose him to dealing with the turbulence of week to week duty with the Rams.

Most importantly, he has played 118 games and is 182 of 222 on field goals, including 17 of 31 from 50+ yards. His career long is 53, which he has made twice.

Kai Forbath

Forbath is a veteran kicker who was cut by the Vikings in the preseason in favor of Dan Carlson, who went 1 of 4 in two games and ensure his future in a career other than football.

The Vikings should have stayed with Forbath, who as a veteran has made 116 of 135 kicks in his career, is 6 of 9 over 50 yards, and has a career long of 57. He would fill in nicely as Zeurlein’s replacement.

Roberto Aguayo

Aguayo is famous for his hype, and failure to live up to it. The Buccaneers traded up to draft him in the second round (that is not a typo) in the 2016 NFL Draft.

He missed some big kicks and disappointed in his lone season with Tampa Bay. However, he remains one of the better kickers in recent college memory as well as unemployed.

Aguayo has the least experience and the worst percentage of this bunch, going 22 of 31 in his career with a long of 43 and is 0 for 1 from 50+. This would be a move based on past potential, but he’s worth a tryout and a look.

https://ramblinfan.com/2018/09/30/los-angeles-rams-search-for-new-kicker/

Kevin

Pro Bowler
IMO, Kai Forbath isn't any better than Ficken. In 23 games with Minnesota, he missed eight XPs.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Has anyone heard how much longer Zuerlein will be out of action. I have not seen anything definitive about it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Roberto Aguayo

I agree with @Kevin and will also say that Aguayo is an even worse option.

He was bad enough the Bucs didn't even try longer FG because he couldn't hit them and it would give opponents good field position.

Better to punt and try to pin an opponent deep.

There really aren't any good options unless they steal someone from the CFL hahaha.

Hawaii Ram

Rookie
I agree. Who names a kid with a penis “Kai”?

Actually in Japanese or Hawaiian it basically translates to ocean or sea or something to do with that. Pretty popular name here in Hawaii. And yeah some of the kai’s I know are some of the toughest guys you’ll ever meet. So to answer your question a lot of people do.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Actually in Japanese or Hawaiian it basically translates to ocean or sea or something to do with that. Pretty popular name here in Hawaii. And yeah some of the kai’s I know are some of the toughest guys you’ll ever meet. So to answer your question a lot of people do.
I’m sure that’s true. Just exercising my right to be a callous jerk. :cool:

:cheers:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/30/nfl-los-angeles-rams-sam-ficken-greg-zuerlein-kicker-2/

Sean McVay was asked about moving forward with Ficken on Friday and he wouldn’t commit to the former Nittany Lion.

“Certainly we’ve got to be better in that area when we get a chance to go up 13 (points) in a game that’s been back and forth. Those are plays that we have to be able to make and make them consistently,” McVay said.

“Unfortunately, that hasn’t been the case the last couple weeks, but every decision we make is something that we discuss as a staff. Until I have a chance to really sit down, talk with ‘Bones’ and talk with Matt (Daniels) and everybody that’s involved, we haven’t made any decision like that.”

As for Zuerlein, McVay originally said he’d be out anywhere from three to six weeks.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I agree. Who names a kid with a penis “Kai”?

This guys parents
1d26959c9f812286390888b0eff2eef2.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd at least bring Aguayo in and have him meet with Bones and then a quick kicking tryout. Once again even though the dude had a complete meltdown he has at least demonstrated exceptional consistency in the past. Not sure how everything went down there in Tampa behind the scenes, but I suspect there was enormous pressure on the dude and maybe the staff didn't help in that equation.

If he tanks in the workout, so be it. But I'd definitely take a long look at him.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
IMO, Kai Forbath isn't any better than Ficken. In 23 games with Minnesota, he missed eight XPs.
That is a staggering number of missed XPs compared to his career FG accuracy. I wonder if he developed some kind of mental block around XPs once he missed a few.

dang

Legend
Unless Greg Z is out for the year I think we are stuck with Ficken. Just need to set a strategy:
1. beyond 30 yard line punt inside 10
2. 30 - 15 Yard line. go for 1st down/TD always
3. Inside 15 go for 1st down/TD or kick field goal depending on first down distance/score

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There really aren't any good options unless they steal someone from the CFL hahaha.

I posted the Article, but I do believe Cairo Santos would be a better option then Ficken and was not mentioned in this article. Santos has been accurate throughout his career with a long of 53 yards, so if healthy, I would sign Santos.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
The question is this.........are you an elite callous jerk or a system callous jerk?
Just run of the mill, Les. Although if I could refer to certain Instant messages, maybe I am the King!

Getting back to the article in question, I don't see why we need to be reactionary and get another inconsistent temporary kicker while we wait for GZ. Unless there is something we don't know about, most of the differences are mental anyway. A new kicker would just come in super-nervous, knowing our trigger is quick. Let's just go with our Ficken temp worker.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
including 17 of 31 from 50+ yards. His career long is 53, which he has made twice.

is 6 of 9 over 50 yards, and has a career long of 57.

with a long of 43 and is 0 for 1 from 50+.
We don't need this. Don't care. We need a kicker who can kick well enough from 40-45 and is nails from 40 inside.