Los Angeles Rams Head Coach Sean McVay: “We absolutely want to sign CB Marcus Peters to extension”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know many will disagree with this idea and the likelihood is low, but why not poke around Ramsey? I’ve been suggesting all off-season he would be a perfect Rams-type trade candidate bc of the fifth year option and bc of his lack of fit in Jax. It would cost quite a bit of draft capital next year, but why not?

Well, as you said - it would cost quite a bit of draft capital. The Rams draft fairly well, they need to keep picks so they can have quality players that aren't expensive, to go along with their very expensive good to great players.

jap

Legend
Marcus Peters: "Coach definitely knows what he's talking about. You feel me?"

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Well, as you said - it would cost quite a bit of draft capital. The Rams draft fairly well, they need to keep picks so they can have quality players that aren't expensive, to go along with their very expensive good to great players.

While I agree we do well in the drafting department, I think adding a top 3 cb is a great insurance plan for Peters and Talib, who will both be up next year. If Peters asks for too much, see you later we have our top dog. If Talib retires or does not resign, he got the best cb tandem in Peters and Ramsey. Sure, we’ll have some serious dough tied up to both but Ramsey won’t come due till the following year or after that. I think he is ripe for the picking down in Jax.

Unlikely but I’d kick the tires on him. He’ll, maybe even throw in Peters to reduce draft capital!

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I’m inclined to think this is coach-speak from McVay. Yes, they’d be happy to extend Peters— but only to a team-friendly deal.

My guess is that 2019 is Peters’ last year as a Ram, and then he’ll get stupid crazy $ as a FA in 2020.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I hope they extend them both. Extend Talib so we get another year from him as well, maybe two. He's clearly still on the top of his game.
Potentially, because everybody ages differently.

However, I've seen football players drop off the edge midseason too often to state what you say with any confidence.

I still think we need a third corner and if he's there at 31 we should grab him.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I’m inclined to think this is coach-speak from McVay. Yes, they’d be happy to extend Peters— but only to a team-friendly deal.
I would be surprised if they extended him before mid-season.
Or, if they want to restructure another contract and he is playing lights-out and focused in camp and preseason.
(I am kinda doubtful on the focused and lights out scenario).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still see updated mock drafts where these experts have the Rams selecting a safety in round one based on need. The need @ boundary & field corner could be near the top of our interests IMO, not safety.

Talented Corners are prized by Wade. Not sure Wade see's Peters as one of them. Snead's scout team has done well in finding & helping Snead select starting corners & you can save a ton of cap $$$$ funds in coming out of this draft with a starting talent corner. How much of a need is it for the Rams to be very wise with the speeding of future cap funds for the near future?

How does Peters handle press-man duties? So Peters play in 2018 against man-to-man challenges was lights out? I was under the impression that Peters game is just zone? I would prefer that Snead concentrates on finding a starting boundary corner in this upcoming draft that has the tools to play a variety of coverages. I would also hope that in the 5th or 6th rounds that Snead finds us another EJ Gaines clone. This would be very SMART!

Signing Peters to along term high-end contract ....would be disastrous to the Rams salary cap future along with the future of the Rams :death:pass defense stats when Talib is no longer here after 2019. I want no part of any extension of Peters @ this time.

Last edited:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Peter's is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

He's good at baiting a QB by playing off coverage, but left alone on an island he is a liability. He's doesn't tackle or enforce the edge. He loses track of coverages and his responsibilities. But then he'll make a splash play to turn the tide of a game...

We'll learn a lot about Snead with how Peter's is handled.

Ram65

Legend
Can't see Rams paying Peters top CB dollars. Have to see what he does this year.

Wonder how much Talib has left in the tank? He might be a good option for another year after this one. Rams will need to draft a CB this year just not sure if it's with the #1 pick.

SAK11

Rookie
Keep in mind, McVay also spoke about wanted to re-sign Watkins.

I'd guess unless Peters signs an extremely team-friendly deal, this will be his last year as a Ram. Another team will likely offer him silly money to sign with them.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep in mind, McVay also spoke about wanted to re-sign Watkins.

I'd guess unless Peters signs an extremely team-friendly deal, this will be his last year as a Ram. Another team will likely offer him silly money to sign with them.

Yup. I do think that a lot of Peters' problems in 2018 were his ankle injury that he played through because of Talib's injury. But the Rams will have cap issues in 2020, and will have to make hard choices, like they couldn't go after Saffold this offseason though they loved him.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
He is not a man corner.....nor probably, will he be....so, maybe we get him cheap....being a zone corner works inWade's systemm?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My guess is this will happen, similar to Cooks right after we traded for him.

It'll be around $15 million and people will flip out a little, but he was excellent in his role last year and I'm sure that they will use him that way going forward.

If next year was Wade's last year then it makes even more sense - Wade and Talib both leave and we switch to using more zone to accentuate MPs strenghts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My guess is this will happen, similar to Cooks right after we traded for him.

It'll be around $15 million and people will flip out a little, but he was excellent in his role last year and I'm sure that they will use him that way going forward.

If next year was Wade's last year then it makes even more sense - Wade and Talib both leave and we switch to using more zone to accentuate MPs strenghts.
According to Pro Football Focus the defense allowed a passer rating of 74.5 with Talib on the field with Peters on the field Weeks 1-3 and 13-17, compared to 111.6 without the veteran Talib Weeks 4-12.

What do you think these stats indicate? Corner Troy Hill & Sam Shields are poor off-field corners? Or does Peters need an on-field coach full time? Or Peters should never be our #1 corner on the field? If so do you pay a #2 corner 15 million a season?

Peters is no rookie he is entering his 6th season & coming into his prime playing period. It's obvious I have a lower opinion of Peters than you. Can you provide me some of your thoughts on the above to help me understand your position here?

Wade just said about Talib ... — smart players get better,” McVay said. “And that’s really important thing that we look for, smart conscientious players that are passionate about the game of football.” Does Peters fall in line with the Wase statement & is Peters smart player?

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Peter's is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

He's really just a jerk in my opinion. But to each his own. :p

CB is pretty high on the list and I am sure if and when there's a good value on the board Les will address it. I don't think we're desperate, but if they don't get one they like in this draft they could end up being desperate next offseason.

Also imagine going against the Rams and when you need a big gainer in a clutch situation just put it up against Peters, then if you don't get a completion or PI challenge the play and there's a good chance it'll be there. This isn't only the Rams btw, and it is going to translate into the CBs with top coverage skills rising on the board IMO. Only dumb teams won't adjust for that rule change.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I still see updated mock drafts where these experts have the Rams selecting a safety in round one based on need. The need @ boundary & field corner could be near the top of our interests IMO, not safety.

Talented Corners are prized by Wade. Not sure Wade see's Peters as one of them. Snead's scout team has done well in finding & helping Snead select starting corners & you can save a ton of cap $$$$ funds in coming out of this draft with a starting talent corner. How much of a need is it for the Rams to be very wise with the speeding of future cap funds for the near future?

How does Peters handle press-man duties? So Peters play in 2018 against man-to-man challenges was lights out? I was under the impression that Peters game is just zone? I would prefer that Snead concentrates on finding a starting boundary corner in this upcoming draft that has the tools to play a variety of coverages. I would also hope that in the 5th or 6th rounds that Snead finds us another EJ Gaines clone. This would be very SMART!

Signing Peters to along term high-end contract ....would be disastrous to the Rams salary cap future along with the future of the Rams :death:pass defense stats when Talib is no longer here after 2019. I want no part of any extension of Peters @ this time.
Agreed.
Almost ANY team in ANY situation would take a starting Corner if they could find one at 31 and we actually need one.
We need a strong third corner or a possible starter if Talib or Peters go down.

However, if Marcus Peter grew up and really got it together I could see extending him for decent money.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Love our coach but Its business, I dont trust anything anyone in the NFL says espicialy in the off season

I think Peters is still a great player and will only improve on last year .

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed.
Almost ANY team in ANY situation would take a starting Corner if they could find one at 31 and we actually need one.
We need a strong third corner or a possible starter if Talib or Peters go down.

However, if Marcus Peter grew up and really got it together I could see extending him for decent money.

Yeah, I just don't see him signing for decent money. I think he goes for a huge contract, and likely will get it if he has a good season. That's why I think CB is the most important need, though OL is next. Any trade down from 31 either has to have had a run on CBs before, or be a really generous offer by a team that needs a QB.