Los Angeles Rams Head Coach Sean McVay: “We absolutely want to sign CB Marcus Peters to extension”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I just don't see him signing for decent money. I think he goes for a huge contract, and likely will get it if he has a good season. That's why I think CB is the most important need, though OL is next. Any trade down from 31 either has to have had a run on CBs before, or be a really generous offer by a team that needs a QB.
Rams current six reserve corners are all on the short side starting with NRC @ 5-8, Williams 5-9, Deaton 5-9, Hatfield 5-10, Peterson 5-11 & Hill 5-11 even our three deep safeties Weddle 5-11, Richards 5-11 & Countess 5-9 run short.Think Snead is looking @ any outside corners who are over 6ft?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams current six reserve corners are all on the short side starting with NRC @ 5-8, Williams 5-9, Deaton 5-9, Hatfield 5-10, Peterson 5-11 & Hill 5-11 even our three deep safeties Weddle 5-11, Richards 5-11 & Countess 5-9 run short.Think Snead is looking @ any outside corners who are over 6ft?

I'm sure they're looking for outside corners. Not the only position they're looking at - but a reasonable priority. Hopefully they don't trade any picks for high priced vets - they need to have picks, especially in case they need to trade up to fill a hole.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According to Pro Football Focus the defense allowed a passer rating of 74.5 with Talib on the field with Peters on the field Weeks 1-3 and 13-17, compared to 111.6 without the veteran Talib Weeks 4-12.

What do you think these stats indicate? Corner Troy Hill & Sam Shields are poor off-field corners? Or does Peters need an on-field coach full time? Or Peters should never be our #1 corner on the field? If so do you pay a #2 corner 15 million a season?

Peters is no rookie he is entering his 6th season & coming into his prime playing period. It's obvious I have a lower opinion of Peters than you. Can you provide me some of your thoughts on the above to help me understand your position here?

Wade just said about Talib ... — smart players get better,” McVay said. “And that’s really important thing that we look for, smart conscientious players that are passionate about the game of football.” Does Peters fall in line with the Wase statement & is Peters smart player?

I firmly believe Cooks is our 3rd best WR. But he's the highest paid because of his timing/age/production.

I could see the same happening with Peters. We re-sign him and keep him on a side of the field versus shadowing a WR.

Then we get someone to replace Talib and take the other side.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Everyone was happy to see Jenkins leave, then he goes out an has the best year of his career with the Giants and everyone says we kept the wrong corner. Now people are ready to let Peters go because he had a bad first half of the season, but with another decent corner on the field he played well. Factor in better safety play and he’ll be fine. Quit tripping. Dude is a playmaker.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am a Peters fan. He had some rough spots early on, but that’s football. He finished very strong.

Generally speaking he’s been a healthy player... and a confident guy who plays with moxie. He’s young and still has some seasoning to come.

Top 10 guy? Maybe not -yet- but a very good player at a tough position to find the elite type.

I hope we extend him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am a Peters fan. He had some rough spots early on, but that’s football. He finished very strong.

Generally speaking he’s been a healthy player... and a confident guy who plays with moxie. He’s young and still has some seasoning to come.

Top 10 guy? Maybe not -yet- but a very good player at a tough position to find the elite type.

I hope we extend him.

His rough spots were with a bum ankle he played through because the Rams lost Talib the same game. He started playing better when Talib came back - and coincidentally, when Peters finally got a week off.

He's an excellent CB overall. I don't know if the Rams can afford him, without losing depth all over though. I'd be surprised if he didn't get at least $14 million per, and quite possibly more. Meanwhile, in 2020, Donald has a cap hit of $25 million. Gurley and Cooks combine for just over $34 million. Goff's 5th year extension is likely to be a bit over $22 million. So that's $81 million for 4 players. I doubt Peters gives much if any of a discount. Talib is also a free agent. That's why I expect the Rams to draft at least one CB fairly high.

dang

Legend
I believe Peters will continue to improve in his coverage. However that will not change his atrocious tackling efforts. I can’t recall seeing another NFL player run away from tackling like Peters does. What is that about???

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I think for this defense, they're looking for a Talib clone or even a Richard Sherman clone... former WR who knows how to play the ball, is over 6ft and catches the ball away from his body.

With a prime #1 like that, Peters becomes the best #2 in football, especially with solid safety help. I know when Eric Berry was balling out, Peters was a terror and when we got healthier in the second half of the season, Peters showed what he could do and was rated something like 4th or 5th best CB overall.

dang

Legend
Plan A - Hope Peters steps up and is extended. Draft a solid CB with one of their 3rd round picks. Talib comes back for 2 more years of team friendly contract to mentor.
Plan B - Decide Peters is not in their future plans. Draft a stud CB with their 1st round pick. Talib is extended with a decent 2 year contract to start for 2 more years.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think if you could extend him at a bargain rate this year, that would be a smart move.

I doubt Peters or his agent would be looking to sign a long-term (2 to 4 year) contract off a down year though.

The guy played hurt in a new system. He's talented, and I'd bet on him bouncing back.

I agree. He was horrible the first half of the season, no doubt. But he improved the second half. I believe its because Wade stopped trying to use him as a press corner finally. He's not a press corner like Talib is. He plays off the receiver. He has the instincts to react when he can see the quarterback.

I think he tried to make plays while out of position earlier in the season. He was much better towards the end. And the defense as a whole was much better. I would expect the defense to be much better in the regular season this year.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
My thoughts on Peters’ Ram future...

He’s gonna have to prove himself in the first 8 games or so. Period.

If he shines, then the Rams will probably pursue an extension at that point in the season. But if he’s only so-so, then the Rams will go in a different direction in ‘20. They’ll have to.

Rams know that they’re gonna be restricted in their options if they wait until season end. They definitely want to avoid a bidding war that they can’t win.

As others have pointed out, Rams are gonna start feeling a serious cap crunch starting in ‘20.

The best case scenario for the Rams would be for Snead to find a Noteboom, Allen, JJ, Kupp type gem in the 3rd round or later to become our Peters CB replacement.

Currently, I’m a bit pessimistic regarding MP’s likelihood of being a Ram in ‘20. Maybe 35%?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd sign Talib to an extension before Peters and draft a cornerback high.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My thoughts on Peters’ Ram future...

He’s gonna have to prove himself in the first 8 games or so. Period.

If he shines, then the Rams will probably pursue an extension at that point in the season. But if he’s only so-so, then the Rams will go in a different direction in ‘20. They’ll have to.

Rams know that they’re gonna be restricted in their options if they wait until season end. They definitely want to avoid a bidding war that they can’t win.

As others have pointed out, Rams are gonna start feeling a serious cap crunch starting in ‘20.

The best case scenario for the Rams would be for Snead to find a Noteboom, Allen, JJ, Kupp type gem in the 3rd round or later to become our Peters CB replacement.

Currently, I’m a bit pessimistic regarding MP’s likelihood of being a Ram in ‘20. Maybe 35%?

Just curious - why does Peters have to prove himself when he was one of the best CBs in the NFL from week 12 through the Super Bowl? He was also very good for the first three weeks.

For me, that was him proving himself. He's probably not a number one CB - but he's a great number two.

dang

Legend
Just curious - why does Peters have to prove himself when he was one of the best CBs in the NFL from week 12 through the Super Bowl? He was also very good for the first three weeks.

For me, that was him proving himself. He's probably not a number one CB - but he's a great number two.
My guess is Peters thinks he is a number 1 corner and will be looking for number 1 $$$.