Los Angeles Rams get undrafted free agent steal in Alaric Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Los Angeles Rams get undrafted free agent steal in Alaric Jackson​

The Los Angeles Rams set up a draft headquarters in Malibu and without a first-round pick because of the Matthew Stafford trade, they were probably feeling pretty great, all things considered. Being without a first-round pick is nothing new for the Rams. They haven’t made a first-round pick in the NFL Draft since they took Jared Goff first overall in 2016.

The Los Angeles Rams have truly become masters of finding talent after the first day of the NFL Draft and clearly general manager Les Snead is not afraid to invest prime NFL Draft real estate in veteran players or to move up in the NFL Draft.

The 2021 NFL Draft looks like it will be par for the course for this Rams franchise in terms of guys bringing value beyond the first round, starting with their top pick overall in former Louisville wide receiver Tutu Atwell.

As tough as the Rams’ lineup will be to crack, there’s room for someone from the undrafted ranks to rise up and not only make the squad, but potentially make an impact as a starter in the not-so-distant future.

That particular player from the 2021 class is former Iowa Hawkeyes left tackle Alaric Jackson.

Alaric Jackson at a glance
  • 2017 Freshman All-American
  • Four-time All-Big Ten selection
  • 42 starts for Iowa at left tackle
Jackson is the only player in the 2021 NFL Draft class with more than 40 starts at left tackle, which is likely where he’s going to fit in with the Rams. As much experience as Jackson has at left tackle, some feel like he could transition well to the guard position at the next level as well.

For the time being, projecting Jackson as a tackle, he comes from an Iowa program where he’s obviously going to be very well-coached. Specifically, on a team like the Rams with so many similar concepts between Sean McVay’s offense and the Iowa Hawkeyes offense in terms of blocking scheme, Jackson should have an edge that not all rookies bring to the table with this team.

Jackson has good size for the left tackle position at 6-foot-5, 321 pounds. Coming out of Iowa’s program, that’s to be expected. Iowa is essentially a printer and high school offensive linemen are like paper. You put the paper in the printer, and NFL linemen shoot out the other end. That’s how it’s gone under Kirk Ferentz, whether you’re talking about elite-level prospects through the years like Robert Gallery, Brandon Scherff, or Tristan Wirfs, or back-end guys who go undrafted or late like Austin Blythe, Ike Boettger, and here Alaric Jackson.

Jackson didn’t post a great workout when it comes to movement skills, and you see some of his flat-footedness show up at times in pass protection. There are other times when he looks like he can mirror with anyone.

Consistency was a bit of an issue for Jackson, and he could get blown up at times by power rushes.

If he can improve his base and strength, there’s a real shot you’re looking at a guy going from being undrafted to being a starting NFL left tackle. Being able to learn from Andrew Whitworth will be extremely valuable for Jackson in terms of just understanding what it takes to be a pro.

Being in this kind of offense, as it did at Iowa, can also help mask some of Jackson’s weaknesses at times. It will be excellent to see him in preseason play against other rookies and see how much he’s improved even in just a short time with new Los Angeles Rams offensive line coach Kevin Carberry, who spent the last three years coaching the Stanford offensive line.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the journalist wants to start with a bang but gets it completely wrong in the very first sentence.

c'mon man.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

the journalist wants to start with a bang but gets it completely wrong in the very first sentence.

c'mon man.

Dude was not even DRAFTED? The Rams were a good fit.
—Playing against other rookies in Preseason? There are guys that have been in the league for years.I still think Jamil Demby brings value to The Rams. —The NFL goes a lot further than starting for IOWA.If he was that good he would have left early & entered the draft.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Jackson went to the Senior Bowl as a mid-round prospect. He did not have a good week.

He’s also listed at 6’7, 285 lbs. on the Rams’ site. That’s an odd size for an OL. Apparently, he temporarily went vegan and lost a lot of weight. At his pro day, he was 321 lbs, so the 285 may be outdated.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Jackson will be lucky to make the practice squad.
Considering our need for a left tackle?
I'm going to predict that he makes the 53 because he's going to show enough promise that they won't want to risk losing him on the practice squad.

WHAT!?!?!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jackson will be lucky to make the practice squad.
That's where I'm at with him. I expect any UDFA to have iffy measurables but this guy is the opposite. He's got all the measurables. He had top-notch coaching. But his play on the field meh.

This is a non-Rams type UDFA tbh. They don't usually go after the talented guys who don't play up to it. Maybe he puts it all together though, we'll see.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
That's where I'm at with him. I expect any UDFA to have iffy measurables but this guy is the opposite. He's got all the measurables. He had top-notch coaching. But his play on the field meh.

This is a non-Rams type UDFA tbh. They don't usually go after the talented guys who don't play up to it. Maybe he puts it all together though, we'll see.
Two words;

Car Berry.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Two words;

Car Berry.
Maybe so. But I'll put some faith in our new OL coach when I see how well he stacks the line and how they produce.

I'm not high on the hire at all. Not mad or anything either, but gonna wait and see.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Jackson went to the Senior Bowl as a mid-round prospect. He did not have a good week.

He’s also listed at 6’7, 285 lbs. on the Rams’ site. That’s an odd size for an OL. Apparently, he temporarily went vegan and lost a lot of weight. At his pro day, he was 321 lbs, so the 285 may be outdated.
That surprised me but you're correct. That is what the Rams' site has listed.

Then I checked half a dozen draft sites, and everyone had him at 6' 5 1/2" (one had 6' 6") and the weight was consistently 318-321.

I just don't think the Rams' site is accurate here. It's the same site that has Brian Allen at 6' 2"; and I don't believe that either.

nighttrain

Legend

Ferenz (Iowa coach) usually max's out the talent of Offensives Lineman he teaches, they seldom get better after leaving U of Iowa
train

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Please ignore the website, Bobby Brown is listed at 235lbs & he's 325lbs so the individuals running the Ram website are not very concerned with accuracy.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Watched some of his senior bowl stuff and I get your meh vibe, but he actually played some guard as well and looked
way better inside. He has trouble with his footwork and base on the outside , but at guard he looked good
running the zone and really looked good getting to the second level. He was able to locate and stay engaged
while driving second level defenders out of the play.
Not saying he will stick with the team, but he did show some potential inside.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think they signed him with any interest in him being an OT prospect for us. More likely, they feel like they already have their OTs of the future on the roster (Boom and Edward's most likely). If the Rams didn't like their depth at OT, signing one UDFA isn't going to change anything.

I think they must like his potential to maybe become cheap depth at Guard. If Jackson possessed the necessary traits to potentially play OT in the NFL, some team would have drafted him. A senior LT at Iowa probably doesn't fall through the cracks of 32 NFL teams.

Every once in a while a guy comes from out of nowhere and he could too... but my expectations are pretty low.

Deadpool

UDFA
Anything is possible.

But if I have to make the bet no more than practice squad.

.........while hoping I am wrong. Again. :biggrin:

oldnotdead

Legend
This guy is a 3-year project. He has the measurables and seems to have the motivation. But he is lacking in technique and consistency. I see him on the PS this year with a chance to make the roster in 2022. This is the value of Carberry because he is a teacher who can develop young talent. This smells like a Carberry pick.

Clean up his technique, this year on the PS. Make the roster in 2022 as a backup player giving him an additional year to polish his game. So in 2023, they might have a decent player. Remember if Havenstein remains on the roster this year he's likely gone next year. His release in 2022 would clear about $7M and would basically clear the Ram's cap deficit. Rob carries a pretty big cap number for a guy that gave up 9 sacks over the past 2 seasons and that doesn't even mention the pressures and hits Goff took. So if they feel they have the o-line depth which IMO they do, it's not a given he isn't released this year freeing up over $5M in cap this year allowing them to extend guys like D. Williams beyond this year. PFF grades high but anyone who really watched him the past 2 years knows their grade is bogus.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't like Jackson at left tackle at all. His footwork and technique there is a mess. I'd gladly stick him at guard, though; I think he could be a solid one. Maybe he could even play right tackle in a pinch. But I like Anchrum and Brewer a lot more than Jackson.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I've said since the end of the season, Alaric Jackson is an NFL Guard, not Tackle.

And that's coming from a diehard HAWKEYE fan.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've said since the end of the season, Alaric Jackson is an NFL Guard, not Tackle.

And that's coming from a diehard HAWKEYE fan.
And that's not a bad thing. NFL Guards aren't a dime a dozen. If he could end up starting at guard at some point in the future that's a huge win for an undrafted free agent.