Los Angeles Rams 2017 NFL Draft: Data/Analytics Review

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
We'll see soon enough. While this guys take on the analytics is interesting, I'm not too sure the Rams were drafting BPA this time around. IMHO, this draft was about doing the best you can for adding an offensive threat for a team with few alternatives, and building for a 3-4 transition from a 4-3 base. While the analyst seems to confirm at the end of his lecture that we may have done better at BPA picking OG's or elsewhere, McVay & Snead didn't believe, at least with this draft, that those positions were as vital as those chosen. Until proven otherwise, i'll stick with McSnead's draft, especially given the handicap of no 1'st round pick, and that our OL under Kromer can make vast improvements over last seasons performance.
Dumping Barnes & moving GRob while adding Whitworth & Sullivan makes our OL a different conversation, and the addition of Kupp & Reynolds may not make up for the lack of a true #1 WR, they can be effective & productive influences on a more impactful offense. The Rams addressed need, perhaps more than any other draft I can remember, ... time will tell whether these picks stand up to the test of time, but now it's hard to imagine not filling these positions how they did. jmo.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Gonna be honest here.. very little to no actual football analysis going on, but I guess that was sort of the point? Random numbers without context... just not my cup of tea tbh

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I would like to see him do this with all of the starters from team that gets to the Superbowl alot, for example the Patriots. And, watch him try to explain how a team like that is so successful year in and year out with players that most likely don't rate very high in his system.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
That was awesome. I am going to watch it again just before bedtime, should put me right to sleep. HAHA
Seriously, he put a lot of time into that but, I know some of you guys are really into that so.........enjoy.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I used to doubt OPS & WHIP too....hey guys, stats really do work...if you know how to use them...I don't disagree with anything in there...but we still gotta see them play. His take on fullbacks was interesting. I couldn't believe we drafted one.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The overall the tone of his presentation appears to imply that is devaluing these selections because the metrics do not project them as all-pro talent. That is a very flawed perspective. Over 50% of all pro bowlers are 1st round picks and that number is even greater when you factor in multiple pro bowl appearances. The chances of players drafted beyond the 2nd round becoming even a long term starter really drops off. Most of the high metric guys are usually the first and second round picks and the Rams had no 1st round pick. To put these metrics in their proper perspective he really needs to factor in when these players were drafted and he fails to do that.

If history shows that Rams acquired 3 or more productive long term starters in this draft without a first round pick it will be a success in my book. When looking back at past Rams drafts there have been many unfortunate instances where they were lucky to even acquire 1 or 2 decent starters and most of those were either a first or second round picks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sweating over the lack of size for Everett right out the gate tells you what to expect the rest of the way. I wasn't a big fan of the pick, but Everett does fit very nicely in this offense. And his tackle breaking ability and general elusiveness is something they clearly put a priority on instead of measurables.

Same deal with Kupp, who isn't going to net the 40 time the bean counters want to see but who also is a fit for the scheme and has the elusiveness traits they prioritized.

This staff went after specific traits, and it remains to be seen whether they were right. Good thing is we're gonna have a good idea here soon with camp and the preseason games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I used to doubt OPS & WHIP too....hey guys, stats really do work...if you know how to use them...I don't disagree with anything in there...but we still gotta see them play. His take on fullbacks was interesting. I couldn't believe we drafted one.

Baseball is a very different sport, and those differences make it easier to design metrics and models that are predictive and reliable. It's a game of individual match-ups. Pitcher vs. Batter and Batter vs. Fielder. That makes it much easier to analyze. Football isn't a game of individual match-ups (as you know). It makes it hard to design reliable and predictive metrics.

Basketball is somewhere in between baseball and football. It's less a game of individual match-ups than baseball but more a game of individual match-ups than football.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
This guy fails to incorporate "intangebels", something you can't put numbers to. How do you measure instinct, or football smarts? You can't.

That's where guys like McVay, who have been around football their whole life come in. They're the ones who see the players who don't put up the measurables,,but see the instinctiveness, the fire in the belly, and the football smarts. How do you measure pain tolerance or ability to take hits?

If I'm drawing up a draft board, all of those "ingangeables" will factor in.

(I know I spelled it wrong)

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
The overall the tone of his presentation appears to imply that is devaluing these selections because the metrics do not project them as all-pro talent. That is a very flawed perspective. Over 50% of all pro bowlers are 1st round picks and that number is even greater when you factor in multiple pro bowl appearances. The chances of players drafted beyond the 2nd round becoming even a long term starter really drops off. Most of the high metric guys are usually the first and second round picks and the Rams had no 1st round pick. To put these metrics in their proper perspective he really needs to factor in when these players were drafted and he fails to do that.

If history shows that Rams acquired 3 or more productive long term starters in this draft without a first round pick it will be a success in my book. When looking back at past Rams drafts there have been many unfortunate instances where they were lucky to even acquire 1 or 2 decent starters and most of those were either a first or second round picks.

This staff went after specific traits, and it remains to be seen whether they were right. Good thing is we're gonna have a good idea here soon with camp and the preseason games.

This guy fails to incorporate "intangibles", something you can't put numbers to. How do you measure instinct, or football smarts? You can't.

That's where guys like McVay, who have been around football their whole life come in. They're the ones who see the players who don't put up the measurables,,but see the instinctiveness, the fire in the belly, and the football smarts. How do you measure pain tolerance or ability to take hits?

If I'm drawing up a draft board, all of those "intangibles" will factor in.
(I know I spelled it wrong)

All good points. Draft order return, specific traits and intangibles.

It was an interesting look at the picks. It actually confirms that the Rams accomplished their goals. McVay and the Rams need starters to replace the players they let walk, for future lost players as well as depth players. They drafted character team players that place football and effort as high priorities. These picks have football instincts that overcome a little less physical talent. This draft looks like it includes early impact players and future starters. Could be 3 or more productive starters.