Los Angeles, New York among eight cities in new XFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25460216/los-angeles-new-york-eight-cities-new-xfl

Big questions. Is there room for three pro football teams in Los Angeles? Will the XFL team have higher attendance than the Chargers?
----
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Los Angeles, the New York-New Jersey metropolitan area and Dallas were among the eight cities and venues chosen to be the home sites when the XFL launches its inaugural season in February 2020.

Commissioner and chief executive Oliver Luck also said there will be franchises in Houston, St. Louis, Seattle, Tampa and Washington, D.C., when the league kicks off the weekend of Feb. 8-9.

"After months of research and consideration, we're thrilled to announce the cities and venues of the XFL's eight inaugural teams," said Luck. "We are committed to being ingrained in the local community and extremely fortunate that our teams will have world-class facilities to call home."

The football league founded by wrestling entrepreneur Vince McMahon will be absent in several of the largest television markets: Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston and Atlanta. It will have 45-man active roster and play a 10-week regular season.

The XFL hopes to deliver a fan-centric, innovative experience, including fast-paced games and a family friendly environment, complemented by cross-platform viewing options and real-time fan engagement.

McMahon's league played one season in 2001 and then was disbanded.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's very strange when it's struggling to support two at the moment.

What is even stranger is that they picked Tampa! They are struggling to giveaway tickets at the moment. I'm not sure if it happened but they were bracing themselves for the game against the Panthers last week being their lowest attendance since they moved to the Raymond James Stadium.

I've been to a few games there and there is usually a high percentage of away fans.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They should have focused on the smaller and non-NFL cities with an eye towards being a developmental league for the NFL. At some point the NFL would settle in comfortably with that I would think.

Taking the NFL head-on is kind of stupid. AAA business model, or even a Mexican league, would make immensely more sense long term IMO.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They should have focused on the smaller and non-NFL cities with an eye towards being a developmental league for the NFL. At some point the NFL would settle in comfortably with that I would think.

Taking the NFL head-on is kind of stupid. AAA business model, or even a Mexican league, would make immensely more sense long term IMO.
XFL's answer to Merlin....
9TOqJNR.png

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
It's a spring league, so it's not really taking on the NFL.

I suppose they chose larger markets for more ad revenue?

And in case there's not enough "developmental" football out there, there's also the So Cal based Pacific Pro Football league scheduled for 2019 (link).

Q729

Legend
Don't forget about the Alliance of American Football with Martz heading the San Diego Fleet. They start up in Feb 2019 too.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Call me dumb but I have never understood the "He hate me" thing. Too embarrassed to ask until now. :cautious:
lol....I always took it that other players hated him because he hurt them while playing. So badly, that they say "he hate me"

Just a guess.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Taking my 75.00 Rams PSL refund and putting 50.00 on a deposit for XFL games in STL. Hope others do as well.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Here's a rumor you guys may not have heard...

The XFL made the decision to put these teams in these cities because of something else that has not been said. These locations are strategically picked... they are cities that the AAF are not going to be in. That's because these 2 new leagues are going to merge once they get everything up and running fairly smooth.

You heard it here 1st folks.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Here's a rumor you guys may not have heard...

The XFL made the decision to put these teams in these cities because of something else that has not been said. These locations are strategically picked... they are cities that the AAF are not going to be in. That's because these 2 new leagues are going to merge once they get everything up and running fairly smooth.

You heard it here 1st folks.
Whoa that would be really smart. Mitigate risk for on a lot of ends. 1 would be less capital on a bigger leauge, 2 would be getting to test out different strategies and then deciding what works when you merge. However, it could just be they picked cities the AAF wasn't in so they could avoid direct competition. Not really an obstacle you want to add to an already difficult path of creating a new football league.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Whoa that would be really smart. Mitigate risk for on a lot of ends. 1 would be less capital on a bigger leauge, 2 would be getting to test out different strategies and then deciding what works when you merge. However, it could just be they picked cities the AAF wasn't in so they could avoid direct competition. Not really an obstacle you want to add to an already difficult path of creating a new football league.

Another little tidbit... there are a number of higher up employees at the AAF who used to work for the XFL.

Coincidence??? I say... I don't think so.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Another little tidbit... there are a number of higher up employees at the AAF who used to work for the XFL.

Coincidence??? I say... I don't think so.
I'm definitely not saying you're wrong. Just a bit of devil's advocate. And again, once both are up and running it would seem smart to grow by merging.