Lory Fabian now suing Rams for Age Discrimination too.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
stltoday.com
Former St. Louis Rams employee alleges age discrimination, harassment

BY ROBERT PATRICK • rpatrick@post-dispatch.com > 314-621-5154 | Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:06 pm

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 0f31a.html

ST. LOUIS • A former employee of the St. Louis Rams sued the team and an executive in federal court here Wednesday, alleging age discrimination and sexual harassment at the club.

In the second suit in less than a month alleging age discrimination, Lory Fabian, 56, claims that in recent years, Rams executives have been shedding “middle-aged women” in favor of those under 40 - “'young inexpensive grinders' who could handle the long hours of NFL employment.”

Fabian worked in various positions over the years, including as executive assistant to head coaches and executives, and was the “'go-to guy'. . . when an experienced and reliable person was needed for placement in a significant job vacancy,” the suit claims. She was fired from her job as alumni coordinator on May 21, 2011, the suit says.

The suit's claims single out former Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo and Executive Vice President of Football Operations Kevin Demoff, saying they systematically fired several employees over 40.

Demoff, the suit says, told Fabian that “no one liked her” and she was "too old for her job."

Fabian's suit also claims that she was subjected to unwanted touching by Bob Reif, the executive vice president for sales and marketing. Reif is a named defendant in the suit.

The suit says that the Rams retaliated against Fabian for complaining.

When she was fired, Fabian was less than a month away from her 55th birthday, when she would have qualified for health insurance benefits for 10 years, the suit says.

A Rams spokesperson did not immediately respond to calls and an email seeking comment.

Late last month, former equipment manager Todd Hewitt sued in St. Louis County Circuit Court, claiming he was 10 months short of early retirement eligibility that would have kicked in at age 55 when the Rams decided not to renew his contract.

Hewitt's suit cites the forced departures of the head of security, vice president of operations, director of player relations and a trainer, team photographer and skybox coordinator, all replaced by “significantly younger” people.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And the Rams didn't comment. But if they did, it would go a little somethin' like this:

"Sure. Yeah. THAT'S what happened."

bluecoconuts

Legend
So a company found someone cheaper who could do more work in less time and was still willing to work longer hours and decided to go with them instead? Crazy world.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm seriously annoyed at these people right now. This is literally nothing but hearsay. What next? Is Mike Karney going to sue for age discrimination because the Rams decided to go with Brit Miller?

These stupid hearsay suits are getting completely ridiculous.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memento said:
I'm seriously annoyed at these people right now. This is literally nothing but hearsay. What next? Is Mike Karney going to sue for age discrimination because the Rams decided to go with Brit Miller?

These stupid hearsay suits are getting completely ridiculous.
Yeah. I heard about this several hours ago, but decided not to post it. It's all one-sided and hearsay.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Poor Rob Reif,probably patted her on the back or gave her a hug on her last day there.
PLEEZ NOBODY post a picture PLEEZ

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your Rights Against Age Discrimination
The ADEA and other state and federal laws prohibit age discrimination at the workplace.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... 29577.html

A number of state and federal laws prohibit employers from discriminating against employees and applicants based on age. This means that although stereotypes about older people abound in our culture, employers are not allowed to rely on them when making workplace decisions.

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act

The federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act, or ADEA ( 29 U.S.C. §§ 621-634), is the primary federal law that prohibits employers from discriminating against employees and applicants who are at least 40 years old based on age.

The ADEA protects workers from age discrimination in every phase of the employment relationship, including job advertisements, interviewing, hiring, compensation, promotion, discipline, job evaluations, demotion, training, job assignments, and termination. The U.S. Supreme Court has held that the ADEA prohibits practices and policies that are seemingly neutral, but have a disproportionately negative impact on older workers (disparate impact), as well as those that explicitly treat older workers worse than younger workers (disparate treatment). (See Smith v. City of Jackson, Mississippi, 544 U.S. 228 (2005).)

Not only does the ADEA prohibit employers from discriminating against older workers in favor of those who are younger than 40, it also prohibits employers from discriminating among older workers. For example, an employer cannot hire a 43-year-old rather than a 53-year-old simply based on age.

The ADEA applies to all private employers with 20 or more employees and to federal and local governments. It also applies to state governments, although their employees cannot sue them directly for age discrimination.

Discrimination in Benefits and Early Retirement

The federal Older Workers Benefit Protection Act, or OWBPA (29 U.S.C. § 623 and following), amended the ADEA to make it illegal for employers to use an employee's age as a basis for discrimination in benefits and retirement. Like the rest of the ADEA, the OWBPA only protects people who are at least 40 years old.

The OWBPA prohibits age discrimination in the provision of fringe benefits, such as life insurance, health insurance, disability benefits, pensions, and retirement benefits. Typically, this means that employers must provide equal benefits to older and younger workers. For some types of benefits, however, employers can meet this nondiscrimination requirement by spending the same amount on the benefit provided to each group, even if older workers receive lesser benefits. In some circumstances, employers are also allowed to provide lesser benefits to older workers if those workers receive additional benefits -- from the government or the employer -- to make up the difference.

State Laws

Many state laws also prohibit discrimination on the basis of age. Although some of these laws essentially mirror federal law and protect only employees who are at least 40 years old, other state laws are broader and protect workers of all ages.

State laws tend to apply to employers with fewer than 20 employees, so your employer might have to comply with your state law even if it isn't covered by federal law.

To find out more about the ADEA, the OWBPA, and age discrimination law in your state, check out Your Rights in the Workplace, by Barbara Kate Repa.

by: Amy DelPo, Attorney

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Age discrimination? This is the kind of turnover that occurs when long-time employees experience a new owner/management. We see it all the time at the macro level (coaches, GMs); why would the lower employees be different? Georgia's crew was fazed out. Simple as that. Management calls it new blood.

Sure it's not fair, but this kind of thing happens in the real world. The atmosphere created by Georgia's protectionism was not going to last, and it didn't offer much accountability, from Shaw and Ziggy down to Hewitt. Who knows if this Lory Fabian was likable or not?

The biggest truth here is that Hewitt and Fabian liked working for the Rams so much that they can't let it go.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Ram Quixote said:
The biggest truth here is that Hewitt and Fabian liked working for the Rams so much that they can't let it go.
Really? Tell me, how do you know this?

Again, can't wait for these cases to get to court so that the record can be put in the public domain for scrutiny. Until then, who knows.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
interference said:
Ram Quixote said:

Again, can't wait for these cases to get to court so that the record can be put in the public domain for scrutiny. Until then, who knows.
You're right. Mine is just hearsay. But then, isn't that apropos?

He said. She said. They said. Whatever.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ram Quixote said:
interference said:
Ram Quixote said:

You're right. Mine is just hearsay. But then, isn't that apropos?

He said. She said. They said. Whatever

This^^^

Whatever indeed.

Why the desire to vilify OUR organization? Ooh... happy happy joy joy. Someone is suing the Rams... they (the Rams) must be bastards! WTF???

Find someone or something that has "deep pockets" and ISN'T being sued. Then you have a story.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, I recognize the right of an organization to hire and fire who they please but you just can't tell people they are being let go because they are too old for their job. If this is indeed what happened, these people are going to get paid. I'm surprised the Rams haven't settled this out of court already. It's usually the cheapest and cleanest thing to do.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ramhusker said:
Well, I recognize the right of an organization to hire and fire who they please but you just can't tell people they are being let go because they are too old for their job. If this is indeed what happened, these people are going to get paid. I'm surprised the Rams haven't settled this out of court already. It's usually the cheapest and cleanest thing to do.

Unless.... wait for it.... it's a fabrication.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
Ramhusker said:

Unless.... wait for it.... it's a fabrication.
It does sound a little far-fetched. Can't imagine Kevin Demoff, Chief Operating Officer of a $750M Organization, walking up to a subordinate and saying, "You're old and nobody likes you." I mean, c'mon. Nobody gets to that position in life, and at the same time is SO stupid as to put themselves in a libel situation like that. It defies logic. Like KD said, "We hope our great fans use a little common sense."

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I have a copy of Lory's brief, but can't seem to upload a PDF file, and you need a PACER login to get to the case docs. X, anyway to upload or save somewhere?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I too found a copy of Lory's briefs.

images

P.S. they were in the back seat of Paul's car.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I see he is hitting thinner chicks than before.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
interference said:
I have a copy of Lory's brief, but can't seem to upload a PDF file, and you need a PACER login to get to the case docs. X, anyway to upload or save somewhere?

http://www.cutepdf.com/

It installs like a printer and you just send it to the printer Cutepdf and it will ask you how you want to save it. Simplest one I've found.