Looks like Snead pulled off an amazing feat in the '14 offseason...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm talking about the CB position.

If you recall, it was considered a positional team weakness in '13.

But it looks like Snead added 3 starting quality CB's that '14 offseason.

Joyner
Gaines
Roberson

If you don't think Roberson is looking like a starter quality CB, then you haven't been paying close enough attention. He played surprisingly well when on the field last year and is downright impressing a lot of folks in preseason and game one of this year.

So, hats off to Snead for this amazing trifecta. Can anybody remember such a feat previously? I'm drawing a blank.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Joyner
Gaines
Roberson

If you don't think Roberson is looking like a starter quality CB, then you haven't been paying close enough attention. He played surprisingly well when on the field last year and is downright impressing a lot of folks in preseason and game one of this year.

So, hats off to Snead for this amazing trifecta. Can anybody remember such a feat previously? I'm drawing a blank.
I for one can't! But I suffer from CRS so...
(C
an't Remember Shit):LOL::D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like his idea of using multiple draft picks to address an area. It worked out with Safeties and Corners and now it seems to be working with Oline.

They also hit on two LBers this offseason. The team looks to be in pretty good shape if they re sign all of their free agents.

I still would like to see a top WR in one of these coming drafts. It would be so nice to have a Torry Holt and Ike again.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Joyner
Gaines
Roberson

Could we be saying the same thing in the near future about his OLine work this past offseason?

Yes it was excellent work on the secondary in 2014. Overall I think he and his scouting department have done a great job rebuilding this team.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I thought the job in 2012 with the secondary was just as impressive. 2011 was a disaster I've never quite seen hit a position group like that before. Fish and Snead come in and acquire Finnegan, Jenks and Tru. Also got Rodney McLeod. That was the beginning of a completely revamped secondary.

Now look at the depth at RB. The Rams were notorious for having no depth behind SJ, now they are on the cusp of 3 headed monster with 2 being capable of being starters on most teams. Hell, I even like Trey Watts.

We have proper talent evaluators it feels like now. Makes watching the Draft much more exciting and precise and less like a lottery hoping the player develops. The weaknesses just keep getting narrowed down each off season under this regime.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It was the remarkable depth that we had that made losing Gaines an extremely manageable issue. My concern is you need really good depth with a defense like GW's since you have to really be on top of the mental aspect of things with all the checks and blitz's. I think our depth on the outside is still very good but I worry if Joyner goes down for any extended period of time. Sure, I think we can cobble together some coverages with safeties in the nickel but while that may offer a few strengths (run D, Blitzing, some zone coverage) we would be abused in man. I don't know who would take over for Joyner inside. Trumaine and Roberson don't seem like candidates... actually, Jenkins might fit best moving inside in that case.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Gotta give credit where its due. I can only imagine what our D would look like with a healthy Gaines.

MrMotes

Starter
Let's not forget Gregg Williams who routinely gets excellent play from his secondary...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Snead is the man. It's a group effort too of course, so plenty of credit to go around. But look at the moves he's been a part of:

1. Fleecing the Skins for what looks to be a bust of a QB then hitting on almost all the picks received.

2. Drafts that seemingly get better every year. This past draft already looks outstanding and we haven't even seen our number one pick. I could go on and on with these drafts man, it's impressive stuff. Only one of his draft day trades sucked and that's the one that resulted in Pead.

3. Fleecing the Eagles by moving a QB who had missed almost two straight years of football and his high priced contract for a cheap alternative who has outproduced him on the field. Then signing that new QB to an extension.

Nobody is going to want to trade with him any more if Foles keeps playing like he did vs Seattle. I'm serious.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I like his idea of using multiple draft picks to address an area. It worked out with Safeties and Corners and now it seems to be working with Oline.

They also hit on two LBers this offseason. The team looks to be in pretty good shape if they re sign all of their free agents.

I still would like to see a top WR in one of these coming drafts. It would be so nice to have a Torry Holt and Ike again.

I think Bailey is going to break out this season. Dont be surprised to see him be the first one to 1000 yards since Holt. With that said, if none of the other receivers show that kind of ability, I'd like to see one drafted. There's a few coming out that look like true number ones.

Alan

Legend
fancents86 wanting to give credit where credit is due:
Aren't the scouts the ones who find the talent and then bring that to Snisher?
True but I imagine that the scouts give him evals on hundreds if not thousands of players and Snead has to find the diamond in the bunch.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aren't the scouts the ones who find the talent and then bring that to Snisher?
And they're hand picked by Snead, so he chooses the guys to scout and goes over their evaluations and makes the decisions all while I'm sure doing his own scouting, even if on a smaller scale.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Finding diamonds in the rough at CB is becoming routine. Amazing what a dominant front seven combined with great coaching will do.,

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And they're hand picked by Snead, so he chooses the guys to scout and goes over their evaluations and makes the decisions all while I'm sure doing his own scouting, even if on a smaller scale.

Yep. He rebuilt the scouting department along with implementing a new system of evaluation. He mentioned that they had to use the old system and evaluations by the previous regime in that first draft and if you look at the drafts they got better year by year as everyone settled in.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
les-is-more.jpg

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I don't want Snead going anywhere, I love the player's he picks every year not once has their been a pick that has me bothered. Hope the dude stay's as GM for a lonnnnnnng time.

A55VA6

Legend
I don't want Snead going anywhere, I love the player's he picks every year not once has their been a pick that has me bothered. Hope the dude stay's as GM for a lonnnnnnng time.
Fisher and Snead need to be here for a long time. I know people may not like Fisher because he's the 8-8 king, but I just think he's doing things the right way. The defense is nasty, the offense is growing. They are building a very good team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm sure doing his own scouting, even if on a smaller scale.
Snead actually does a ton of his own scouting. He's even been recorded as saying that he has scouting trips after road games, on his own, where he stops by schools to check on players on his way back to St Louis.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Snead actually does a ton of his own scouting. He's even been recorded as saying that he has scouting trips after road games, on his own, where he stops by schools to check on players on his way back to St Louis.
I'd say the redness in his eyes once the offseason begins confirms this lol.