Looking back, looking forward...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IN_RAM

UDFA
Found this channel on Youtube this morning, with analysis of last week's game, and this week's opponent:

The Film Room by Brett Kollmann

How Sean McVay's game plan fell apart against the Vikings

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10cSxi8XobQ

Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara are carrying the Saints to a Super Bowl

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuIDaF7vHuQ

Looking forward to responses by those here (like Jerry, in particular) who watch the all 22 footage and break things down.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
So basically McVay needs to bring back his water cooler when the defense is on the field.

Ram65

Legend
I watched the first one. Very interesting breakdown. I was wondering why we didn't see any back shoulder type passes or comebacks down the sidelines. The video shows that type pass open at least one on the right sideline. Watkins was open when Goff threw short to Woods. Watkins was a good 10 yards deeper this is at the 2:40 mark in the video. That was the first good look I had at Goff slipping on the throw to Gurley. Tough one as that should have been a big gain. We saw in another video the Vikings moving safeties after Goff changed plays. That had an effect on some run plays but, not the one that Smith blew up.. Either way McVay needs to add some plays. I would like to see some back shoulder throws and comebacks. It really looks like the offense is predictable.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we are overreacting a bit to the loss. There were plays left on the field that would have changed our perspective of this game.
1. Kupp dropped a ball after a reception on the one yard line. He can't do that no matter what the defense does. Catch the ball and cover it with both hands when you are that close...whatever he needs to do.
2. On 3rd down, a fake jet sweep is done with Gurley wide open and only one player to beat for a spectacular TD...and Goff slips to the turf...Can't do that when games are this tight.

There are probably more plays that killed drives, which would have given more opportunities to Gurley, Tavon, etc.....but we were only 3 of 11 on 3rd down opportunities, and most of those early in the game. We deserved the loss, but it doesn't mean the same will happen next time.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
Just think....
- Kupp doesn't fumble
- Goff doesn't slip on the throw to Gurley
- Keenum doesn't avoid the sack

3 plays that have a huge impact on the game.

Add in the Kupp drop and the Thielen 65 yard TD and talk about a different game (most likely)

We're close. Waaaay closer than many of us thought we'd be this year. As frustrating as it was to lose, it sure is nice to have high expectations for the team...like winning...vs just longing for the days of fielding a team that was even remotely competitive.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think we are overreacting a bit to the loss. There were plays left on the field that would have changed our perspective of this game.

I get where you're going there, and I don't disagree that we're overreacting a little. The Rams were in that game well into the fourth quarter in a defensive showdown vs a legit playoff team in their house before their CB subs sunk them.

But I don't want to be that fan who refuses to credit the other team. Vikes beat us up and manhandled our offense. And IMO it's important for McVay to adjust moving forward, to see the flaws and work to improve them. He will too. McVay sees what is crucial and pushes the right buttons. It's no mistake this Rams team went on a run after that loss to the Redskins, where they were beat up in a similar manner, hit in the mouth and all that. I fully expect him to make those necessary adjustments and the Rams to respond.

This is why this game is so huge for us. Saints are also on a roll right now, we're catching them at a bad time. Our defense is going to be tested, as is our offense in terms of maybe needing to keep up with Brees in a barn burner type game. But yeah I expect the Rams to come out hard and firing in this game from the first snap. IMO it's going to be a great game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get where you're going there, and I don't disagree that we're overreacting a little. The Rams were in that game well into the fourth quarter in a defensive showdown vs a legit playoff team in their house before their CB subs sunk them.

But I don't want to be that fan who refuses to credit the other team. Vikes beat us up and manhandled our offense. And IMO it's important for McVay to adjust moving forward, to see the flaws and work to improve them. He will too. McVay sees what is crucial and pushes the right buttons. It's no mistake this Rams team went on a run after that loss to the Redskins, where they were beat up in a similar manner, hit in the mouth and all that. I fully expect him to make those necessary adjustments and the Rams to respond.

This is why this game is so huge for us. Saints are also on a roll right now, we're catching them at a bad time. Our defense is going to be tested, as is our offense in terms of maybe needing to keep up with Brees in a barn burner type game. But yeah I expect the Rams to come out hard and firing in this game from the first snap. IMO it's going to be a great game.
Well, Earl Thomas made a play on Gurley causing a touchback that changed that game. As a result, Gurley is much more conscious about stretching that ball hand over the goal line. he drives through it now. Similarly Kupp has to figure out that he playing against grown men that want to do the exact thing that happened to him last Sunday. He has to learn. Goff slipping on the grass is all on him. DMarco talked about this on a recent podcast, that at this level and especially at this point in the season, no one in the locker room wants to hear that it was slippery. Just do your job, Jared.

I said that the Vikings made plays and the Rams didn't. Does that mean the Vikings are better than the Rams? Not necessarily.

Ram65

Legend
At 7-2 he was an offenive genius and at 7-3 his offense is predictable ??? Really not trying to be an icehole, but that's what it sounded like to me...Did I misundetstand the point ???

I never said he was an offensive genius. I have stated the Rams have been playing some bad teams. I haven't bought into that this is a high powered offense by itself. The defense and special teams have really helped the Rams point totals. Many times I posted about the Rams settling for FGs and not TDs. They have struggled against good defenses too.

It really looks like the offense is predictable.

I probably should have said a little predictable. It certainly seemed that Zimmerman knew what plays the Rams like to run. We are seeing the same plays like the long pass to Woods on the two man route. This video here shows that play and the Vikings having four defenders for the two man route. The Texans had only three man when the Rams connected. That's the last play in this link. The first two plays were runs that the Vikings blew up. When the Rams made adjustment Zimmerman countered.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntsDx_nSmGQ

I do think you misunderstood my reasons. I'm not sure if you have been watching these videos. I guess cause these are videos of stopping the Rams offense I found them interesting. We haven't seen much of these type this year. There have been many discussions on Watkins getting open and I noticed here he was open when Goff went shorter. I've wondered why we don't see back shoulder throws down the down the sideline. I think Watkins would be a great target for those. I wondered about these when I rewatched the game and bought it up here.

I don't see why it's a problem giving honest opinions on the play calling or even players making mistakes.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Just think....
- Kupp doesn't fumble
- Goff doesn't slip on the throw to Gurley
- Keenum doesn't avoid the sack

3 plays that have a huge impact on the game.

Add in the Kupp drop and the Thielen 65 yard TD and talk about a different game (most likely)

We're close. Waaaay closer than many of us thought we'd be this year. As frustrating as it was to lose, it sure is nice to have high expectations for the team...like winning...vs just longing for the days of fielding a team that was even remotely competitive.

Game of inches.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see why it's a problem giving honest opinions on the play calling or even players making mistakes.

Whether you intended to do so or not, threads like this always have the sound of "I told you so," especially after a loss.

Every week, optimists and pessimists contend with one another. You say that in Ram wins, too many FG's were kicked and that somehow is a negative that got exposed by a good team. Optimists might say, that players made critical mistakes against the Vikes that could have changed the outcome (I say this emphatically).

*there's truth in both sides. It's more fun to be an optimist, in my book.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Whether you intended to do so or not, threads like this always have the sound of "I told you so," especially after a loss.

Every week, optimists and pessimists contend with one another. You say that in Ram wins, too many FG's were kicked and that somehow is a negative that got exposed by a good team. Optimists might say, that players made critical mistakes against the Vikes that could have changed the outcome (I say this emphatically).

I didn't say that bolded statement at least not here. I have tried to be consistent in my postings. You are very consistently optimistic. I try to be realistic.

The more I defend my statements the more negative I will look. I started two times and realise it a no win situation. I stand by what I stated after looking at the videos.

Did you look at the videos?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't say that bolded statement at least not here. I have tried to be consistent in my postings. You are very consistently optimistic. I try to be realistic.

The more I defend my statements the more negative I will look. I started two times and realise it a no win situation. I stand by what I stated after looking at the videos.

Did you look at the videos?
I apologize..When I posted I thought I was posting towards the OP, which you were not. One person's "realism" is another's pessimism, because I feel I am very realistic looking at the half-glass-full scenario.;)

I did not see the video because I don't want to have a bad day today..I did see the game and the opportinities missed.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think see so..or not as much..Remember that one TD where he plowed through low...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Vikings are legit. Rams are only going to get better. Hope we see them again in the post season.

IN_RAM

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, I didn't want to come across as having an agenda because I didn't. Just ran across something that looked like enlightening analysis on why we lost, and also on what we are up against on Sunday.Thought it was worth the time to watch, and maybe others would find it interesting and perhaps even encouraging.

As someone already said, I liked the way he said that the next time these teams meet he expects the game flow to be much different, and in favor of the Rams offense. Made me half wonder if McVay decided that the likelihood of meeting in the playoffs made it worth holding back part of the playbook, but what do I know? (Not that much, hence the mostly lurker status.)

Memphis Ram

Legend
I do think you misunderstood my reasons. I'm not sure if you have been watching these videos. I guess cause these are videos of stopping the Rams offense I found them interesting. We haven't seen much of these type this year. There have been many discussions on Watkins getting open and I noticed here he was open when Goff went shorter. I've wondered why we don't see back shoulder throws down the down the sideline. I think Watkins would be a great target for those. I wondered about these when I rewatched the game and bought it up here.

I made a similar point awhile back. There wasn't any problem in the past. But, it seems that ever since the team started winning almost anything that is not said positive is no longer allowed for many here.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I made a similar point awhile back. There wasn't any problem in the past. But, it seems that ever since the team started winning almost anything that is not said positive is no longer allowed.
You know that's not true. Like on any large fan forum, there are several people who don't want to hear any negatives. And that's fine. Communicating with people who take every criticism as an affront is all in the delivery though. Especially *this* forum. I built this place 7 years ago to escape the environment of people who HAD to be right about their criticisms no matter what. The only thing that accomplishes is the criticizer digging himself into a hole and actively rooting for failure of a player - or the team - in order to be proven correct. That's what a few other forums had turned into. So I sincerely hope nobody is falling into that trap now. Let's keep the shine on the apple round here, yeah? It's moe bettah that way.

For the record, I don't have a problem with your opinions, and I think you're delivering them fine. Best advice I can give you or anyone else though ... is to know your audience. This isn't the most rockin' Rams fan forum in the universe because we're a collection of realists. We're mostly a bunch of fanatics. And the losing has been SO prevalent, for so long, that maybe the realists can find a new tactic in order to appease the fanatics. Because, you know, we outnumber you, and some of us took mixed martial arts. Just sayin'.